Happy Anniversary

Ian Watson

Ten years ago, in October, White Wolf released the limited edition of their newest game, ÆON. By the time the unlimited edition came out in November, the name had been changed to Trinity.

Two years later, Aberrant was released. Another two years saw the release of Adventure!.

It was WW's first real foray outside the World of Darkness. The Trinity Universe is the only setting to have been printed under both the d20 and Storyteller Systems.

Happy anniversary to both Trinity and the larger Trinity Universe.

Seems like a good time to make public the story on how the Trinity Universe almost came back.

::blink That's quite a story there. I admit to having mixed feelings about it, my fanwork production notwithstanding. On one hand, I'd really like to see what further ideas Bruce Baugh could've used in the Aeoniverse. OTOH, given the lukewarm reception to some of their more recent products, I'd also be worried that White Wolf would find some way to mess things up more than they already had.

Guess I'm fairly content with the status quo in this case. ::happy

BTW, how is the work going on your Trinity Storytellers Guide wiki? I have it bookmarked (and correct me if I'm mistaken, which I hope I am), but something seems to have stalled.

I'm skeptical of whether the WoD2.0 system would have really been the right one for Aeon2.0. It seems to me to be very well calibrated for the gritty, 'realistic' level of play suitable for horror games. . . and horrible for anything on the scale of Aberrant.

OTOH, something more like Scion ( which is to say, ST1.0 rules, but heavily cleaned up ) would work fine, and in fact, Scion operates at the same power scales as the Aeonverse does, more or less. Scion: Hero could in fact be used to run an Adventure game with only modest changes, and while different in stylistic ways, Scion: Demigod characters could entirely stand side by side with novas.

It'll be interesting to see what Scion: God looks like. . .

::blink That's quite a story there. I admit to having mixed feelings about it, my fanwork production notwithstanding. On one hand, I'd really like to see what further ideas Bruce Baugh could've used in the Aeoniverse. OTOH, given the lukewarm reception to some of their more recent products, I'd also be worried that White Wolf would find some way to mess things up more than they already had.

Well, they were licensing it to me. Theoretically, I'd be in charge of everything from concept to development to editing, hand the finished manuscript to WW, and they'd print it.

Bruce liked my ideas but he wasn't one of those who chose to be directly involved.

BTW, how is the work going on your Trinity Storytellers Guide wiki? I have it bookmarked (and correct me if I'm mistaken, which I hope I am), but something seems to have stalled.

Seems to have for now. I was the only person making edits, and I'm not going to do everything there by myself. If anyone has any bright ideas, feel free to add them.

What is EVERPG?

The RPG WW is working on, using the setting from EVE Online.

I'm skeptical of whether the WoD2.0 system would have really been the right one for Aeon2.0. It seems to me to be very well calibrated for the gritty, 'realistic' level of play suitable for horror games. . . and horrible for anything on the scale of Aberrant.

You know, before Trinity first came out, there was a vocal contingent of the fanbase who insisted that the Storyteller system couldn't do anything but horror.

I think the Storytelling system could have worked just fine. I had a few tweaks in mind, but by and large it would have progressed as-is.

True, but for ST1.0, you'd need far more than just minor tweaks. Its mainly how the combat system uses two, different, ways to represent both firepower and durability. Fine for WoD2.0, where you're virtually never going to use one of each, but in Aberrant, where novas routinely hit vehicle scale firepower and durability?

Whatever else you keep from the system, "Weapons and Armor as mods to attack dice pool" would have to go, which means you'd probably have to bring back damage rolls and soak.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived