Trinity RPG - The New British Empire

BertJammin

I’m toying with an "anime-inspired “mecha” (V.A.R.G) mixed with covert ops" campaign for Trinity and wondered if I could pick your collective brains for ideas?

The current concept involves the insular and paranoid Great Britain of the 22nd century.

Great Britain (in my interpretation of the AEonverse) doesn’t have a large force of V.A.R.G.s (and even less bio-V.A.R.G.s due to their general anti-psion stance). Therefore the players (being a V.A.R.G unit) are high profile but also under high scrutiny.

Great Britain, at this point (2119 onward), also has significant ties with Nippon (with teh London Bridge project)and so would probably be able to get hold of some really kick-@$$ mechs (not as good as the *real* Nipponese ones, or bio-V.A.R.G.s, but better than America and the rest of Europe). Also the Trinity books note that Britain also has one of the few L-B Novastorm IACs (Intra system assault carrier), HMSS Victorious, the largest class of combat spaceship currently in use in Human space. Why would a comparatively small nation like Britain have such a huge space investment as that, without any notable colonies or holdings to protect? It’s “canon” that the British government have a number of grey to black ops projects on Earth but what could they be up to in space? That would be the basis for the campaign.

The players will be a HomeGuard/IIS (Intergrated Intelligence Services) unit working against threats to the crown:

Possible (perceived) threats (based on references in the books) include:

• France/Europe

• Ecuador

• Orthodox Catholiscm

• PSI orders

As you may gather the game will start with quite a dark edge to it - essentially the characters are "bad guys" but I hope over time, as they see the effects of their actions and the operations they are asked to undertake some, if not all, will turn against the authorities, possibly taking their hardware with them.

Possible mission ideas include:

Mission to sabotage Ecuatorial "beanstalk" bridge

Mission to "bust" some illegal immigrants, infected with French Flu

Mission to watch/harangue an Æsculapian doc - French Flu link

Mission to regain a leaked sample of the French FLU and the antidote (possibly a joint operation with the Norça

Anyway - any other thoughts/suggestions?

The players will be a HomeGuard/IIS (Intergrated Intelligence Services) unit working against threats to the crown:

So are they Psions? Baselines? Something else?

Current plan is a mix of "Daredevils" with converted Adventure! rules and ex-order Psions. The Psions have a major social disadvantage of not being trusted by the higher ups (which I'll add as a flaw) and having to have severed their ties with their orders.

I'm planning to cross over with an old Norça campaign I ran so the team may have an occasinal "guest star" in the form of one of the Norça PCs from that series.

Current plan is a mix of "Daredevils" with converted Adventure! rules and ex-order Psions. The Psions have a major social disadvantage of not being trusted by the higher ups (which I'll add as a flaw) and having to have severed their ties with their orders.

I'm planning to cross over with an old Norça campaign I ran so the team may have an occasinal "guest star" in the form of one of the Norça PCs from that series.

Oh, ok, a mecha version of the SAS or MI5/6 with a dash of the Borne movies. Look at them, the anime Ghost in the Shell tv series and the manga Appleseed for ideas. If you got any gurps books, look at the special ops and mecha books.

Basically you've got a rogue group that rarely wears uniforms (and doesn't parade march either) who take on the really dirty jobs nobody wants to admit to but are glad gets done - as long as it's kept quiet. Of course, plenty of opportunity for the people in charge to be doing some private deals on the side as well.

Sounds fun! Are you going to do it on here?

I hadn't considered that but if there was interest I might...

BTW you've pretty much nailed most of my current influences on teh head there... :)

I think your best bet is to start up with a good core group under a good leader. Then three missions in, have the leader get promoted or retired - replaced by a political hack who sees this group as his way of becoming PM. The dirty tricks stop being so much for King and Country and more a grasp for political power.

Daredevils in Trinity... interesting. Are they really up to snuff in terms of raw power?

I think so - it's a darn sight better than playing a baseline in a group of Psions (you get the social "advantage" of being non-psion whilst actually having "powers") plus if you allow Dynamic editting I figure they balance with the Psions quite nicely.

That said we've not given it too extensive a play test yet.

There was the suggestion that our group might consist of two pisons (an ex-legion psychokinetic and a Norça Biokinetic "liason" from an old campaign (due to the French Flu connection)), a Daredevil (the field team leader) and a baseline Psi-sink...

BTW I love the idea of the Political guy getting involved - particularly if the team start to be quite successful.

Archived