Adventure! RPG: American Revenants - AR - Discussion Thread

phoenix

that brings up a good question P...we don't have to use DE just to be armed right...I mean we could just go to the logical place where what we want might be. or just look around...like yyou could look for a dead cop with a revolver without having to spend inspiration points. Of course then its up to you as to how long it takes to find what were looking for... ::sly

And Im glad you got the reference i made to the scene in Pulp Fiction P. A bat? no. A chainsaw? no. A katana? Ahhhh! Now we're talkin'!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I can't believe no one's asked for a katana yet. ::blink

Edit: Oh, I forgot to answer your question. ::biggrin Yeah, you can surely just go to the local gun shop, step over a few corpses and get whatever you need. We're talking Gadgets only here.

I have just one quick question on background/setting issue: what time of year is it? Just in terms of clothing and supplies, and the state of corpses... ::unsure

Hey Heritage, sorry we almost missed this one. ::blush

It's Sept. 19th. So very early fall season. Bring a sweater.

So, Prof and Skylion are kinda in the same boat here (probably fighting over the paddle ). "I made a character who's a somewhat normal person like you wanted" conflicts with "I planned for my character to be well armed enough to handle a zombie apocalypse." Those are both very good things, for several reasons. One is that a big part of this game's conflict is about normal people who are forced into extraordinary, hellish situations, and how they adapt, toughen and maybe even thrive. That's why we want that adaptation (and those hellish situations) to occur "on-screen." And frankly, if your weapons can be written into a backstory, they can be written into the game.

To be honest, the conflict (in my mind at least) is more with the time scale. Originally I'd thought this was going to be an 'everyone dies in the middle of a normal day' type thing - where are characters all start in their everyday lives (e.g. stripper girl is on stage shaking her thang, my guy's selling stuff at the mall, etc.) & then the 'bad stuff' hits & we react.

Since that's not the case & there's been at least a few days of forewarning, then the difficulty becomes more one of trying to think why these characters haven't done more about the problem for the last few days.

I think I've written a revised back story which (sorta') covers this for my guy (mostly by making him a little more lazy & dumb than I was originally going for - but that'll wear off as he fails to get his usual intake of burgers & pizza & is forced to exercise & stuff... ::wink ). Of course, he's now actually more tooled-up than he was in my original write-up - but I fully expect his 'liberated' RV full of 'essentials' to be blown up by the STs in act one... ::sly

Darn, I was kinda hoping you'd go the other route:

... can my guy just arrive on the scene of someone else's plotline, all geared up & covered in dirt & blood? Maybe after that person's first encountered the undead (or during their encounter) - would that preserve your timeline okay?

RE: Several Days warning.

I fully expect to start this being in the act of getting drunk. As for the rest, he's been busy. Busy watching his friends and family die, busy carrying out the dead at one of the hospitals, or otherwise busy putting out fires.

Ack! I was in the middle of two good sized posts for Truth and Justice and American Revenants when my browser locked up and I had to reboot. ::brick ::brick

Oh well. It was pretty late so I just went to bed. I'll get to reposting once my thoughts have collected a bit more (And I've gotten a bit more shut-eye)...

Horror video games were a major inspiration for this game. What you're now experiencing is better known as "lag". ::wink

I'm flying out of Berlin tomorrow morning, and I'm very busy concluding all my affairs here [and souvenir shopping, partying, etc. ::happy ] so I apologize for being slow in posting lately. Normal service will be resumed...

Hey guys. Just letting you know what I told Phoenix (and I assume by now CC) in a PM, that I will not be playing in this game; I thinks it a great concept and will be a very cool game as it continues to develop, but I am choosing to limit the number of online games I'm in for the time being, as I'm trying to get more serious about my writing outside of EON. I hate to leave, but I haven't even posted anything IC yet, so the break shouldn't be too disruptive; that leaves me with QZ, T&J and Tellus as my only online games anywhere, which I think I can handle.

Have a great game, guys! ::sad ::smile (we need a bittersweet smilie)

Did y'all forget about David? ::blink And did the Zed bite bunny or her strap? It sounded like dramatic editing but there was no notaion? ::confused

We didn't forget about you Sky. We split the responses so that I had Alex and archer, and phoenix has you and Zeke. And yes, Zeke spent Inspiration to create an Onscreen Effect. The exact nature of the duffel bag's material, or that of its strap to be specific, had never been specified. Meanwhile, on pg. 253 Reinforced Clothing is listed as being composed of, amongst other things, leather. So after some discussion we decided it was appropriate for him to declare the duffel strap made of leather, which luckily enough for Bunny provided just enough soak to avoid taking damage. This time around anyway. I wouldn't trust 2 measly soak, on one narrow strip of one shoulder, to save the day next time around.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Ok I'm just flushing out the points but as it goes I'm pretty much done.

I'm honestly suprised the "Racoon City" policeman hasn't been snagged yet.

New police transfer from California. Metro cop who moved to NYC less than a month prior with is pregnant young wife. As the horrors of the street begin to unfold arround him, he decides to head home and protect his family.

Problem is a driver drops dead at the wheel and smashes his car off the road down a small ditch. There he remains, upside down and out cold. Out for a few days, he awakes to find that he has entered hell...

I'll shoot the character to you tonight Cottus.

Also, as far as backgrounds/intros are you guys writing the intros or can I post my own when my character is approved?

BTW: EVerything looks awesome so far. Can't wait to get init' YAHOO!!

Well, you sound like you have a lot of ideas on where you want to start. That's good! We'll probably just make a little post describing your physical location, and that'll be your cue to post. Your starting post can be as long or short as you want, and you may want to describe how your character got to where he currently is. Items that you want on the record as being inside your car are always worth mentioning too. That kind of thing. ::ultracool

Sky tells me that I should post officially that I'm not making use of the Rule Option: Lethal Soak listed on pg 200 of the A! handbook. I hadn't mentioned it before now because, as it's just an optional rule, I didn't think it would be an issue. But just in case some of you are operating under the erronious belief that your character's Stamina is providing some kind of natural Lethal soak, now you know otherwise.

We're using only the official rules as presented on the same page.

Word.

In that case.

Officer Alexander Holden was working in the Metro PD during the beginning of the crisis. His young, pregnant wife became sick by the end of the dark week. She was having complications so he left work and sped down the road to get home to her. On the drive downtown, a woman drops dead while driving and smashes into his car knocking him off the road. He's out for a day or two.

Hope that helps!

Your intro idea sounds great Shade, but I haven't recieved any submissions in my Inbox yet, so I'm not sure what happened there. ::unsure

Try resending it to me and hopefully I'll get it this time, and then we'll be able to get somewhere.

It's dark inside the mall. The big revolving doors are locked, but the big doors on either side of it swing open easily when John pulls. A welcome gust of cool air greets him - it smells a bit rancid, but the same smell is everywhere these days, and already, John barely notices.
Does the city still have power, and if so are the emergancy lights and the like on in the Mall, or is it Pitch Black? (And/or does the Mall have enough windows to not be totally black). Cool air sort of implies air conditioning.

It's not totally dark - there's some skylights way up there - but there's no electricity that John can see. And yeah, the air in there is 'cool', but only compared to the air outside. It doesn't feel air-conditioned to him.

Good job on doing your research Alex! That really puts John in a fully fleshed out, three dimensional environment now. ::cool

In case anyone else is curious, the floorplan in question can be found here under the Directory heading. It gives a very nice feel for what's where and how it's all laid out.

Thank you. I did some web surfing. Found some pictures too, apparently this Mall is famous for having Sunlight. In theory we could probably block off the enterances and set up shop without too much of a problem. The door being locked or closed gives me some hope that there aren't a lot of people around. That's good and bad, ideally we're probably trying to restart humanity here, which means looking for other survivors.

There is food but I'm not sure about firearms. Interestingly Modell's sells Shotgun cases but (at least on line) not shot guns themselves. I'm not sure what'd they have and what'd they wouldn't. I checked and there are some firearm stores around, but not close to where John is.

Then I thought of a cop shop and the closest one is the 110 which is directly North, so since I'm passing through anyway I might as well follow the zombie-mall theme and check it out.

Archived