Adventure! RPG - Phasing Knack

Fadier

I found the Adventure system about 6 months ago, and I decided to run my own game of it for me and a few of my friends (I quite enjoy the super science section). Theres a couple of things I would like some input on, one of the players says he would like phasing (walking through walls) as an ability.

I'm not so good with the whole write up thing, but it would be a level 3 dynamic knack and to use it you would have to hold your breath, traveling through denser/heavier substances would be harder, and you could only phase out a small amount of stuff with you (limited basically to the stuff your wearing).

To many limitations? To little?

Also if your using super science to create a drug/chemical to give you a knack for a temporary amount of time would the R&D time be shortened or stay the same?

Thanks for any advice

Hey Fadier, welcome to the forums!

I'd say that sounds reasonable to me. Maybe make it somewhat imperfect, if you can, to distinguish between Adventure! and the effortless sliding through matter of novas with that power in Aberrant. And maybe give some thought to how you plan to handle combat with this ability on.

Thanks for the welcome!

They don't seem to be that into combat that much, but if it did get around to it I might let someone with phasing make a ridiculously difficult roll to avoid an attack but I don't think its going to happen.

The other thing I did not put was if someone phases and re-emerged within a wall it would be somewhat damaging to them, giving lethal damage depending on the severity.

To be honest I have not read any Aberrant, I plan on doing so though. What kind of limitations does Aberrant put onto this power?

In Aberrant Density Decrease is a level 2 power (so about equivalent to a level 3 dynamic knack) with five possible levels of skill. The first level is like, you just weigh less, are a bit harder to hit, and I think you can ooze through cracks. Level five makes you completely invulnerable to everything but mental attacks, and you can phase through anything & everything. It's maintenance, meaning you have to pay Quantum points every couple of turns to keep it active, but since characters have at least 20 Quantum points as a nova it's not such a big deal (though it is easy to run out for some characters).

My inclination on this Knack would be to make it something that takes too long for it to be effective in combat. It could be very useful for getting into places or making getaways, but I would not allow an Adventure! Knack to allow for phasing to dodge attacks, reduce damage, or make insta-kills ("I reach into his chest and pull out his heart!").

I think I shal make it take a few minutes to start up, but one of the stipulations I told the player was that if you de-phase inside something solid your not going to be able to re-phase very well.

In short this knack will be impossible to use offensively without doing as much (if not more) harm to yourself. As for defensive I would allow something like +4 difficulty to try to avoid an attack, (its an endurance roll to activate) so it is possible in a desperate circumstance but not something you can do all the time.

Archived