Aberrant RPG - Mayor assassinated

NFVD

Hey all,

The Mayor of the fictional city where I am running my Aberrant campaign is about to have an attempt on her life next session. Since the player's have been mucking up their investigations so much I'm guessing they will also botch this time and fail to prevent her murder.

My question is, what happens next? My familiarity with USA city politics only streches so far...

Who takes the reins of the city if a mayor looses his/her life during term? Is someone else in the hierarchy automaticaly promoted to mayor? Will there be new elections? If so how long would you expect to pas until they take place? Who runs the city in the meanwhile?

Can my fellow North American Aberrant enthusiasts give me a hand here?

This has never happened in my city, so I can't honestly say for sure. If the city is large enough, we might have a deputy/assistant mayor. Otherwise, the city council can take over and schedule a special election for a new mayor. If this wasn't Memorial Day weekend, I could stop by City Hall and check the city charter. If you can wait until Tuesday night, I could give it a try.

This has never happened in my city, so I can't honestly say for sure. If the city is large enough, we might have a deputy/assistant mayor. Otherwise, the city council can take over and schedule a special election for a new mayor. If this wasn't Memorial Day weekend, I could stop by City Hall and check the city charter. If you can wait until Tuesday night, I could give it a try.

Well, yeah my session isnt until next Saturday. So would be grateful, but only If it's not too much trouble for you to go there. ::biggrin

And BTW, good thing it has never happened in your city, LoL.

After a dreary sifting through legalese concerning Vermont municipal statutes, I am horribly confused. It seems that, if the office of mayor/town manager is vacated, the city council appoints a temporary replacement until the position can be filled. The duration is vague, depending on the job search process et al. Basically, it's up to the city council to get things done promptly, lest administrative chaos ensue. Since, as I said, it's never happened in my memory, I have no real-world data to offer. I would think it would be a matter of a few months for a special election to be arranged. (Sigh) The state or federal level procedures are much clearer, thank God, with straightforward lines of succession. Not sure if this was any help, and it showcases my appalling ignorance of civic processes. ::brick

Quicky Version: It depends on the city...

Long Version: Most cities have a chain of command and the succession is set forth in the city charter (or equivalent). The most likely situation is that the city council would appoint a temporary mayor (usually either the mayor's primary assistant or someone the council trusts, but not someone on the council itself), and that there would be an election at the earliest opportunity. Some cities also appoint a vice-mayor, who essentially does the same thing that he vice president does (looks pretty and goes to the appearances).

The effects of killing the mayor also depend on the city. Obviously someone will be going to jail, but otherwise it would depend on how successful the attempt was (Geryon's was totally unopposed and so had a major effect, but if the characters opposed it and just barely failed, then it would be just the same as any other assassination). If the characters are clearly outmatched, however, it may actually give them good PR. But this shouldn't encourage you to kill the mayor...

FR

The effects of killing the mayor also depend on the city. Obviously someone will be going to jail, but otherwise it would depend on how successful the attempt was (Geryon's was totally unopposed and so had a major effect, but if the characters opposed it and just barely failed, then it would be just the same as any other assassination). If the characters are clearly outmatched, however, it may actually give them good PR. But this shouldn't encourage you to kill the mayor...

FR

Oh I'm not encouraged in any particular way ::biggrin

The fact is there is a nova "crimelord" type person pulling the string of much of the underworld in the city. So far the first real opposition have been the PCs in their municipal defender roles. However, while they have been sucessful in stopping some of his operations, even killing 2 of his nova henchmen so far, the PCs penchant for killing their enemies and the fact that those they capture alive where assassinated while in custody before having been questioned means they have no idea who this "mastermind" guy is even if they have become sort of a thorn on his backside.

The Mayor has taken some flak after she hired the PCs because some groups believe the city does not need these many municipal defenders and they are a drain on the budget. In fact the only reason the team exists is because of her, if she leaves office (feet 1st or not) the group will likely be disbanded.

Now, the "mastermind" knows this and lo and behold! As it turns out, for reasons of their own all the characters but one have left the city for a whole week.

Gee, could it get any easier? I'm assuming the sole remaining nova PC wont be able to save the mayor, it remains to be seen if he can duke it out with the nova hitman they are sending . I just wanted to know what happens once/if she dies. ::ultracool

Well good for them. Were they that good or just that lucky?

Bloody lucky!

The guy with pretercognition managed to finally get enough sucesses using his power to predict the assault with one hour to spare and warped in to evacuate the place. By an amazing coincidence the rest of the team, having just arrived from a week's trip to Ibiza were having a meeting with the Mayor herself at the precise moment he Warps in.

The rest is history...

The City Hall is a bit worse for wear tough. the Mayor is going apeshit and the cost for repairs is coming out of their budget.

The fact she found out they were conducting something like 4 private investigations and had failed to tell her also helped to get her pissed I suppose.

I think the "oh shit!" moment of the night was when one of them got a call on his Municipal Defender mobile (an NPC team member was almost on death's door, calling from a phone booth after a confrontation with a nova villain), and just patched the call to voicemail because he was busy in a bar trying to pull a girl.

The player didn't remember about checking the voicemail until 3 in-game days had passed ::laugh

Archived