Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Chapter 2 Set-Up

Blue Thunder

It's time to set up Chapter 2. Before I get to the Branches, here is a summary of the events between Chapter 1 and 2.

The Night of Long Knives is upon the Teragen. Each faction becomes more reclusive and distrustful of each other. Though no two factions have spilled serious blood yet, there have been several brief conflicts. The Four Horsemen make a quick assault on Envy and the Prometheans at Trinidad, but neither side is left injured. Matador and Damian Storm are involved in a brawl at the Blackburn with the members of Tchernabog, which Jester manages to prevent from escalating. Joff Rasmussen accuses Sluice of secretly reading his mind, which causes even more friction between the Cult of Mal and Nova Vigilance. Terats at the Badanah Complex become increasingly paranoid about each other and the Companions they live with. Bounty refuses any visitors to the Nursery aside from Divis Mal. And on top of all this, almost all of the Radical Harvesters have gone into hiding, and Leviathan hasn't been seen by anyone since emerging from Chrysalis.

The Cult of Mal in particular becomes aggressive towards certain Terats. Just prior to the beginning of Chapter 2, the Apostle and Joff Rasmussen name certain Terats as 'heretics'...an action that Scripture that does not oppose. By decree of the Apostle, any Terat labeled as a 'heretic' is a threat to the Teragen's prosperity. Terats that attack heretics are to be considered heroes within the movement; to kill a heretic is to upgrade your status within the cult. This causes quite a stir within the Teragen when it is announced, since Count Orzaiz and Envy top the list. Most Terats do not argue against the Apostle's decree, since it means they won't be involved in his religious cleansing, but those on the list see it for what it is: Delorimier trying to remove those that would threaten his power. A religious crusade has been declared.

Envy is under constant protection by at least one Promethean. He becomes Della Weisskopf's mentor to help her learn Teras and Chrysalis, and accepts both Gaston Lafitte and Loki into the ranks of the Prometheans. The Casablanca called Anansi is presented by Count Orzaiz to assist the Prometheans with their current troubles.

Additionally, Firefly never makes it back to civilization and is declared missing. The Hare investigates the area she was released at and comes to the conclusion that her trail disappears completely, and suggests nova involvement. Normally such an event wouldn't bother the Teragen (and would in fact be great news) but this time the situation is very different; it was the Teragen that captured Firefly, and the Teragen that is getting blamed for her continued disappearance. Team Tomorrow is on a Teragen manhunt, and if Utopia discoveres the current state of the Teragen, it could very well destroy the movement.

Divis Mal has a meeting with one of the Promethean's newest members, Erik. After their private conversation, Erik announces his full support of the Teragen movement. To show his goodwill, he leads Scripture to a latent baseline, who erupts and is taken into the Cult of Mal. Kyle Dighton becomes Erik's caretaker and mentor, which aggravates certain elements of the Pantheon, who all wish to have influence over the young Terat. Divis Mal himself begins to become more of a presence within the movement. Whenever a Terat is in doubt about a certain course of action, Divis edges them forward, urging them into action.

Currently, all eyes are on the Cult of Mal and the Apostle. Delorimier has bravely taken open action against those he sees as enemies. Now he must deal with the consequences.

This will operate much like with Chapter 1, except with three changes.

- When you propose a new Branch, you can propose a Branch that involves your character's personal background if you wish. You guys put thought into your characters' origins, and I wouldn't want you to think I was wasting them. If you want to see your character's background become intertwined with the main story, or even just provide a diversion from the NoLK, just PM me about it. A new Branch revolving around your character's background could be a nice way to evolve your character.

- Solo-character Branches are allowed. I don't see this as much of an issue since you guys all worked together in Chapter 1 to spread yourselves out nicely between Branches. But if it comes down to it, and only one player volunteers for a Branch, I'm fine with it. Who knows, your character may be the only one that volunteers to attack Scripture. Good luck.

- This isn't really a change to the "rules" so to speak, but each Branch will be more independant from the others. Events in each may end up happening at different times as well. Branch 1 may skip ahead six days while Branch 2 spends half of it's thread on a single day. So be it. For ease of roleplay, the PCs probably shouldn't contact each other so much between Branches, as it can cause a rip in the space-time continuum.

Here are the proposed Branches. Reply with the Branch, or suggest a Branch, that your character will be involved in (though, Envy is pretty much required for Branch 1 isn't he?). Feel free to discuss any pre-game issues here before we start, like issues over gear, location, character knowledge, etc. More detailed descriptions of the Branches and starting situations will be posted when the Branch threads themselves are posted. When the Branches are posted, still discuss them here instead of in the IC thread.

Chapter 2

Branch 1 - Protect the 'heretic' Envy. Envy has been declared a heretic by the Apostle, and has become a target of the Four Horsemen and other Terats. This Branch will likely focus on issues revolving around both Envy and the Apostle, since both are controversial Pantheon novas opposing one another. The Four Horsemen, Vi, Epoch, and Nova Vigilance are involved. Starting location: The Trinidad Compound, Trinidad, Cuba. Required PC: Envy.

Branch 2 - Investigate Firefly's abduction. Firefly's continued disappearance could very well lead to the destruction of the movement; her kidnappers must be dealt with and the situation resolved. This Branch will likely focus on issues of trust and deception, as it becomes apparant that Terats are involved. Erik, Swarm Queen, the Hare, and the Camparelli-Zhukov megasyndicate are involved. Starting location: Club Zmei, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Branch 3 - Contact Shakti. Flare wishes to contact a powerful Indian nova that once stood alongside Divis Mal and Scripture before they came to the Teragen, in the hopes that she will assist the Prometheans. The Branch will likely focus on issues of baselines as followers and the place of alternate religions in the movement. Flare, Noor, Shakti, Krishnamurti Pradmurabpan, and the Kabal are involved. Starting location: Nilgiri Hills, Udhagamandalam, India.

Branch 4 - Another option. Propose something else if you wish.

Aaand...there we go. Also, I'll pin the OpNet thread so you guys can remember to post in there if you feel like it.

Wow. I don't know which to choose... They all sound so cool.

The most obvious choice would be Branch 1 since Anansi spent the month in between chapters investigating and tailing 3 of the 4 horsemen. But on the other hand Branch 2 will involve (or sounds like it'll involve) a fair amount of detective work and intrigue, which is the kind of thing Anansi's pretty good at. And Branch 3 involves stuff that Anansi has some personal interest in.

Hmmm... Probably Branch 1 or 2, those are the two he's probably most qualified for.

Bob is headed for Branch 1.

Reasoning:

1) He's well suited for it.

2) Envy is more or less family.

3) If this is a chess game, then losing the king is a bad thing.

4) If someone is going to be eating killing novas in defense of Envy it really should be him.

5) Presumably Bob doesn't guard Envy 24/7 so he'll have down time, which includes the fiction I'm working on detailing what Bob does for fun on his off hours.

6) The Clinic is important. Bob is a center member of getting that up and going.

Well, No. 2 is practically made for Loki, isn't it? The only problem being if T2M gets involved theirs bound to be a quantum slugfest that Loki isn't built for. Of course, a radically secular terat like him could cause all sorts of trouble in No. 3 as well.

As stands now branch No. 2 would be my first choice.

I supose branch 2 or 3. Branch 2 must need someone with a subtle aproach, but branch 3 can give Gastón the chance to make GOOOOD allies (or enemies if all goes wrong :P) Just put me in the branch that has less characters (except branch 1, of course).

Chances are Kyle will be in Branch 2, considering it seems Erik is involved in that one and being Eriks caretaker........

Well that, and the fact that Kyle's Investigation skills are completely ridiculous. And he has potent Telepathy. Oh and Warp, too. It's at least possible that some of that would come in a little bit handy somewhere along the way. ::wink

Like I say, Branch 1 is probably the most obvious choice for Anansi, but 2 other players have also listed that as one of their choices, and there's a good chance that Roach and KC will go that way too (though I suppose that's not guaranteed).

I'll go with Branch 1 unless it starts getting crowded, in which case I'll help fill out another Branch, cuz I'd be perfectly happy playing in all 3 of them. Sorry to be a little wishy-washy, but I'd prefer to give first choice to the more established characters and let Anansi fill in where he's needed.

Branch 1 seems to be full enough with two bodyguards for Envy. I'll take Branch 3. (India!)
We have 4 horsemen to guard against, and the bodyguard types pressumably need to take time off and such (sleep, eat, etc). IMHO 2 bodyguards isn't enough... but granted, we are expecting more.

Branch 1 - Envy, Bob, Jack, King Cobra

Branch 2 - Kyle, Loki

Branch 3 - Leiko, Gaston

Undecided

Anansi - 1 or 2

Roach - ?

So Anansi and Roach need to be placed. I'm fine with anyone going anywhere at this point. Roach will probably end up going with Branch 1 to protect Envy, and Anansi could really fit anywhere (though 1 and 2 looks best).

Keeping in mind that we are going to atempt to have the branch 1 battle on our terms, by leaking info and setting a trap. Envy will need to be there and Bob, with a couple more Bodyguards...Jack and KC already volunteered and I like the idea of Jack jiding as some sort of metal object (Spoon!)

Keeping in mind that we are going to atempt to have the branch 1 battle on our terms, by leaking info and setting a trap. Envy will need to be there and Bob, with a couple more Bodyguards...Jack and KC already volunteered and I like the idea of Jack jiding as some sort of metal object (Spoon!)
That's the plan.

Sounds like I have a new battle cry. I can see it now...

The four horsement roudn on Envy, breaking walls and furniture in their wake...and Envy decides its time to call out the big guns. He talks to the squad...biding his time as he picks up a spoon to use to accentuate his points. He smiles as he finds hte perfect moment to throw the spoon at the baddest looking mamma-jamma... "SPOON!" he yells, prompting Jack into action.

It wouldn't be active if Envy's Dormed down. A dormant nova loses all of his or her nova characteristics except for the increase in Resistance and Endurance, the increase to life expectancy, and the x2 increase to healing times that all novas possess.

I had thought about this particular conundrum and it requires a ruling from BT. I bought the permanent power as a flaw rather than a straight aberration, so it woudn't go away when Envy uses his Aberration transfer power...I wanted him to be stuck with it as a defining characteristic. On the other hand, Im not sure how a quantum power could work if he was dormed...since using the power effectively would give him powers...and you lose access to that stuff while dormed. So it would appear Cottus is coorect but we should still check with the Man first...

It wouldn't be active if Envy's Dormed down. A dormant nova loses all of his or her nova characteristics except for the increase in Resistance and Endurance, the increase to life expectancy, and the x2 increase to healing times that all novas possess.

Not completely true, when you consider Taint (and the increase in healing times isn't mentioned in either the main book or the players guide).

Each dot of Dorm reduces a nova's Taint...but even Dorm 5 wouldn't bring Envy down enough to avoid having aberrations, even while "baseline" because it would still be 4.

His Aberrant Eyes would be reduced from high-level to low-level at Dorm 5 since Taint is brought down to low-level (perhaps, instead of his entire eye reflecting altered images and such, his pupil just looks wierd). Sunglasses could hide it.

As for his Uncontrollable Power, it is still an aberration...but as a Flaw, it cannot be taken away via Aberration Transfer (Permanency). This brings up the issue of him having it while Dormed and gaining powers in a "baseline" form. At Taint 9, not even Dormancy can make Envy completely baseline while dormed (he'll still have a social penalty, for example, albeit a substantially smaller one). Such is the price, I suppose.

I'll have to rule that the aberration goes away though, for two reasons:

- It would be mighty hard, plot-wise, for he and Marina to interact.

- Though it is a Flaw, it is above medium-level, and his Taint is at 4.

I guess we never really thought about this situation...it's one of those weird situations where the books don't give a solid solution, so it's a Storyteller call.

Not completely true, when you consider Taint (and the increase in healing times isn't mentioned in either the main book or the players guide).
The wording in Dormancy is a little vague because it says, "...she retains her basic nova characteristics (increased Endurance and Resistance, extended lifespan, etc.)..." [emphasis added]. The "etc." leaves you to figure out what the other "basic nova characteristics" are for yourself, which is inconvenient and annoying, but oh well. To find a list of the "basic nova characteristics" refer to the Mega-Stamina listing in the main book on pg. 160.

Instead of beginning at 1 dot and going from there, it starts with an "x" for novas with no mega-stamina. Under this listing it says, "Normal nova metabolism: You're still pretty tough. You soak bashing and lethal damage as normal for your Stamina, but your healing rates are doubled. Base Resistance and Endurance ratings equal 3 each (before allocating any dots into Abilities). Lifespan 150+ years."

So based off of this, the "etc." from Dormancy would be: bashing and lethal soak as per your base Stamina, and x2 healing rates. Of course, you're the ST, so if you say 'no' I'm not going to argue (it's a pretty minor point).

On a different note: what about Chrysalis-gained taint? Geryon is listed as a prime example of a nova with Dormancy 5 and he uses it to turn himself into a baseline and escape undetected by T2M. But Geryon is also a 2nd stage Monster with the Chimeric Aberration power. It's possible for him to have less than 5 aberrations total, but it's kind of unlikely.

So do Chrysalis aberrations dissappear simultaneously with normal aberrations (i.e. if you have Taint 6 and Chrysalis 5, and you activate Dormancy, does your Taint drop to 1 and your Chrysalis to 0)? Or is it cumulative (i.e. you have Taint 6 and Chrys 5, you activate Dormancy, now you have Chrys 0 and Taint 5 (or Taint 1 and Chrys 5?))?

I ask cuz this is gonna become somewhat important to all of us eventually (this being a Teragen game and all).

Oh yeah...in that case I shall use 10 xp to buy a third dot of Mega-Intelligence, dropping his Taint to 8 (by removing the last one from Node 5 as it more eficiently integrates into the surrounding tissues).

And P.S....your new avatar is twisted BT. I miss the old one you said was constantly running from japanese schoolgirls who wanted to rectally molest him...buy I suppose a ball of tentacle hentai will have to do... ::smile

Branch 1 - Envy, Bob, Jack, King Cobra, Roach

Branch 2 - Kyle, Loki, Anansi

Branch 3 - Leiko, Gaston

Shade hasn't given Roach a spot yet. I'm assuming he goes with Branch 1 though. If Shade says otherwise, we can always shift him somewhere else, no problem.

Alrighty, time to finish the Branch threads (now that I know where everyone is going and all) and post 'em...

Archived