Trinity Universe: Code Five OOC

ProfPotts

Okay - this one's just a faint idea right now: basically a cross between Robotech & Battlestar Galactica (the new one, not the camp seventies original ::tongue ).

All player characters would be VARG pilots fighting epic battles against the aberrant hordes, although they can have been pulled from any sort of background - military hero, hot-shot test pilot, cold-hearted mercenary, scummy space pirate - anything as long as they have the skills to pilot a VARG. Both psions (in bioVARGs) & neutrals (in hard-tech VARGs) would be allowed (with my usual balancing act to up the neutrals to be points-equivalent to the psions... I hate unbalanced games... ::sly ).

The basic concept would be a huge starting battle, with the few survivors (hopefully the PCs) living on to take the fight to the enemy.

In any case I couldn't put any time scale on how long this thing would take to get off the ground - I just kinda' noticed a lack of Trinity games, & this is my latest idea for one which could, possibly, capture a few imaginations.

So - any interest? Any comments?

I just kinda' noticed a lack of Trinity games
If I could get another two to five players, who are interested in Trinity, and aren't going to mysteriously vanish after (or before) giving me character sheets, then Triple Threat would be well in the works. Seeing as how it never even really got off the ground before.

and if you don't care about sanity, what about TEF?

Even before I went AWOL TEF seemed to be going the way of a lot of the Trinity games in these parts - lots of interest to begin with, then the frequency of posts started to drop way off. As always there were some loyal exceptions ::wink but, unfortunately, I'd kinda' structured the game so that we always had to end up waiting for key characters to post.

Of course, as ST, I tend to believe that when people's interest in one of my games fades then I must be doing something not to their liking - this seems to happen in Adventure! & Trinity games round here especially, which is one of the reasons I keep kinda' thrashing about for a format which will both grab people's attention, & keep them interested once the game actually starts.

For me Trinity is the hardest of the three games to pin down a good format for. Aberrant is the easiest, simply because, as a default, it's set pretty much in our own times. Adventure! is a little harder, but still, generally, people know what you're banging on about when you talk about pulp action, the roaring twenties, gangsters, & all that jazz. With Trinity you either know the setting or you don't - & many people (including me) haven't invested a huge amount of time in reading up on the Trinity setting.

There's no one easy way to describe Trinity so that people can go, 'Hey, yeah - you mean it's like...'. It's the most 'WoD' of the three games too - with characters assigned to specific groups each with specific powers & all that other stuff which means you need a degree in politics to even have a hope of understanding what's going on. That's why, with TEF, I was aiming for a 'Star Trek' spin on Trinity - 'cos everyone has at least some idea of what Star Trek is all about. Of course most people soon realise that Star Trek is actually much more interesting to watch than it is to play... Which is, I think, part of what was happening to TEF.

So, again thrashing around for a good 'hook' for a Trinity game I found my thoughts drifting back to VARGs - one of the better parts of the setting IMHO. Of course having a lone VARG pilot in a game is a terrible idea - either the VARG stomps everything, or the pilot never gets to use the thing. Having a team of VARG pilots, on the other hand, not only works but has a ton & a half of animé series to steal inspiration from.

To be honest I'd be more interested in playing in a well run Trinity game than running one - the ones I've participated in here have been excellent... but short-lived... ::cry :tombstone:

As for my sanity... well, I guess I just hate to see any of the IC sections gathering dust when there are so many stories left to be told...

As an afterthought: the other concept for a Trinity game which keeps dancing about my noggin is 'Gilded Cage' - something to do with that Eden place full of 'Novas' (& the fact that servitude to those more powerful is still servitude, even if it comes in a pretty package). Of course, this could just be me being all political & subversive & stuff... ::sly

If I could get another two to five players, who are interested in Trinity, and aren't going to mysteriously vanish after (or before) giving me character sheets, then Triple Threat would be well in the works. Seeing as how it never even really got off the ground before.

I could well be interested in this - I'll have to have a read & see what it's all about! ::thumbup1

For me, the hardest part about running Trinity is that the setting almost gives you too much to work with.

You could be fighting against the military-corporate machine in the FSA, trudging through the wastes of Paris fighting off bandit gangs and helping survivors, shooting up Aberrant hordes on KLG as a Legionnaire, working the criminal underworld as a member of the Norca, fighting against censorship and your own government as a Ministry member, fighting in a VARG battalion, dealing with robotics in Nippon, becoming part of ISRA's bigger picture, exploring the galaxy in a Leviathon, fighting Chromatic invaders on Karroo and Chrome-Prime, making diplomatic encounters with Qin dignitaries, hunting down rogue chibs, making contact with Edenite novas, discovering Nippon and Norca's secrets, uncovering the real history of the Nova Age, investigating the effects of the Venezuelan Phenomenon, becoming part of the new psi order in Africa, etc.

You've got cyberpunk, post-Apocalypse, robotics, aggressive aliens, friendly aliens, mechas, jump ships, starship battles, heavy weapon ground battles, planet colonizations, space explorations, global computer networks, spiritual psi powers, shapeshifting psi powers, mind-altering psi powers, genetic tampering, biotechnology, invading forces, information manipulation, rewriting history, etc. And on top of all of that...a hell of a lot of lies, manipulations, intrigue, and secrecy. And don't forget the normal themes of hope, sacrifice, unity, blah blah blah.

And that's if you stay in-canon.

You'll want to cover all the bases, but doing so will kill you, because you can't possibly. You have to choose a specific theme or focus for the campaign or it will wander aimlessly and never take off. Which is exactly what you've done here; chosen to focus on VARGs over anything else, thus giving the campaign a better chance of accomplishing something and attracting players.

I would love to run a Trinity game, I really would. It's my favorite RPG setting, and I've read every Trinity book a dozen times over and love what it offers. I think its a well-developed setting. I'm just not sure if I have the time...not sure if I can focus on two games at once.

If I could, I would. But I don't want to start something, then have it fall apart before it takes off.

Even before I went AWOL TEF seemed to be going the way of a lot of the Trinity games in these parts - lots of interest to begin with, then the frequency of posts started to drop way off. As always there were some loyal exceptions but, unfortunately, I'd kinda' structured the game so that we always had to end up waiting for key characters to post.

Man, that is depressing, I really enjoyed playing CAPT O'Malley... he turned out to be one my favorite characters.

Anyway.... I might be interested in playing someone like him... or possibly a test pilot type...

I thought TEF was going well as well, other than the two AWOL periods... ::sly

DoD was a bit of a standstill though but that I still think Doc Bynon was one of my best characters...

I just wish we could finally find out what the Ziggurat and power crystal (which everyone has forgotten in QZ) are all about... ::confused ::smile

For me, the hardest part about running Trinity is that the setting almost gives you too much to work with.

I agree that can be a bit overwhelming, but to me that's one of the game's strengths; I would much rather have a game with too many concepts that I can whittle down into whatever sort of campaign I want than have a threadbare game that I have to work my ass off just to fill it out into something interesting. I think the key is to find out what parts you like and build a game around those elements, like this idea and what I've heard about TEF. I also think the same applies to Aberrant actually, though apparently here the Prof disagrees and has brought in damn near every element and added a few of his own (Masters and the Dark Templars). War Journal is my attempt to focus on just one small area of the sprawling world of Aberrant, make it as richly detailed as possible and pack it full of emotional storytelling (I hope).

One of these days I might relaunch my Trinity game (I promise nothing) but this sounds intriguing; I will keep my eyes on this thread ::thumbup1

Hey, well, if there's enough interest in reviving TEF then I'm more than happy to give it another shot! ::biggrin

One of these days I might relaunch my Trinity game (I promise nothing) but this sounds intriguing; I will keep my eyes on this thread ::thumbup1

::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool ---- ::drool --- ::drool

Archived