Culling the herd

Jackson Creed

Hi all,

I've personally zorched three spammers today alone (and deleted their profiles) and I think it's well past time to clear out the vast numbers of members who have made no posts (probably 'cos the Mods have smited their posts; good job boys and girls!). So if anyone knows any members who are confirmed spammers, then note them down and let me know and I'll delete them. I'll be fairly incommunicado for about a week, so don't be surprised at any lack of reply before then, but once I'm back and have a good couple of hours to spare I'm going to pretty much clear out all those members who haven't made any contributions (just a single post is more than enough to save them though!) unless members know that a particular profile is not a spam-monkey.

::nuclear

Later peeps,

JC

I tend to agree. There have always been a fair number of regular visitors who do not post, but should still be made to feel welcome, which is why I've been compiling a list of all those members who seem to be obviously spammers (since I can see their email address as well, it makes it a lot easier; you can spot the spam-monkeys a mile off). I'm only going to clear out the more obvious ones at first, but if any of the Mods zorches a post, note down the member who posted it and I'll Quantum Inferno them.

I don't think we've reached a point where approval is required for registration yet. I've always considered EON to be a Library of Alexandria where all are welcome... so long as you play by our rules. Thoughts?

JC

I tend to agree. There have always been a fair number of regular visitors who do not post, but should still be made to feel welcome, which is why I've been compiling a list of all those members who seem to be obviously spammers (since I can see their email address as well, it makes it a lot easier; you can spot the spam-monkeys a mile off). I'm only going to clear out the more obvious ones at first, but if any of the Mods zorches a post, note down the member who posted it and I'll Quantum Inferno them.

I don't think we've reached a point where approval is required for registration yet. I've always considered EON to be a Library of Alexandria where all are welcome... so long as you play by our rules. Thoughts?

JC

Spam doesn't seem to have been enough of a problem since I started posting here to require closed registration. Certainly I've seen sites with far worse problems.

Every time I delete a post, I also raise the poster's warning level and "disable future posting until further notice". Since we don't use the warning protocol as it was intended, it seems likely that every member who's ever been warned could simply be deleted.

Archived