Aberrant RPG - Animal Novas

Expendable

I was thinking - if eruption happens when someone is in desperate need, why not animals too?

Could there be a lizard that's transformed into quantum-powered godzilla, now living in the sea of Japan?

A family dog defending his humans from an intruder and isn't a dog anymore?

A cornered cat that's now roaming the streets, mistaken for a mountain lion?

I'm still sorta newish to Aberrant so maybe there's a book out or you've discussed this before. I did a search but I didn't see anything. Might be fun for some of you running games to let your players run up against an alley cat that's not an alley cat.

By Aberrant rules, only humans have the gene sequence that that triggers into nova eruption. That said, shapeshift and body mods can certainly give you animal form.

well..to be fair..not the Aberrant rules...just Aberrant canon.

The Golden rule is always that the rules should never get in the way of having fun..if you dont like it change it! Theres a silver rule too but I cant remember it off hand. I should add a Bronze rule that anything goes so long as you can talk an ST into it! ::ultracool

If you assume that any ape has the right genes, then it might still be limited to humans simply because we have the right numbers. Many of our cousins are limited to 50K or so.

If you assume that everyone has the right genes, but it's limited to the sentiant, then it's still limited to us.

I would have to say canon wise only humans can be novas. Based on a specific gene sequence that only we have.

At the same time we know that quantum can change things that it touches. This is why novas are susceptible to Taint.

Thus, I see nothing wrong with the concept of an animal being hit by a quantum wave and modified into something else. This 'something else' could be like novas but I figure that setting wise they would have their own modified rules basis.

So to answer your question about the various animals you listed, I can see it working. Whether as a natural creation of a super-intelligent nova or through quantum getting inside a creature and mucking things up. They can be transformed into the various mythical creatures of our past.

May I remind everyone that in the Adventure era, z-waves and other telluric phenomena not only changed and inspired many animals, but also created or transported whole other areas of reality, including a swamp filled with actual dinosaurs and a hollo earth...

It troubles me when people get to rigid or stuck on canon...unless of course its a canon game you want to play! ::biggrin

If you go by Aberrant canon, no, animals cannot become novas.

If you go by Adventure! canon, then animals can become something, though they're still not novas.

It was a running joke in the tabletop game I was in that one character had a nova hamster. As far as I know, the GM never actually gave it nova points, but we were saying that the poor thing had to have Adaptability, Regeneration, Hyper Hearing, among other megas. And maxed Psychic Shield, because the telepath could never tell what the hamster was thinking! ::laugh

It's true that I was thinking about Aberrant canon, not Adventure. Also true that house rules can be whatever works for your campaign, but really, a nova hamster? ::blink If I remember, it's been mentioned on some threads and in the books that the Hammersmith telluric wave (balanced between quantum and ubquantum) caused many weird effects, while the N-Day wave (purely quantum) didn't. Could you have an animal erupt? Could be... Grandfather Monkey dates from Adventure, and is the only (apparent) animal nova mentioned in Forceful Personalities. With the Venezuelan Phenomenon looking like Hammersmith, the possibility is there for any ole thing .... ::lol ::jaw

• 11 months later...

I've not read any Aberrant books, but if the ability to erupt as nova depends on a special genetic sequence, some crazy scientist (hello mega-intelligence ...) could design a altered version of any animal that has the ability to erupt ...

Actually, we might already have an "animal" nova in our game. Red Hare(Horse) is, after all, several centuries old, intelligent, has enough abilities to survive Q6 nova combat going on around him, and yet, still can be spoken too with Animal mastery.

And yeah, the Nova Proxy for Artemis might fit in that case, though now I'm reminded of what kind of crazy animals the Greeks and that had....

Actually, we might already have an "animal" nova in our game. Red Hare(Horse) is, after all, several centuries old, intelligent, has enough abilities to survive Q6 nova combat going on around him, and yet, still can be spoken too with Animal mastery.

And yeah, the Nova Proxy for Artemis might fit in that case, though now I'm reminded of what kind of crazy animals the Greeks and that had....

I had *assumed* that Red Hare was similar to Nameless' horse: an aspect of his power, albeit in this case, an intelligent one with a distinct personality. OTOH, you do have a point, and there's precedent in Adventure, too. Animal companions of Inspired can be themselves Inspired, so if the nature of a Chosen's power is to have an animal boon companion. . .

How about this, Q6's Biomanip lets you transform one animal into another. It doesn't work on novas, but presumably you could transform baselines into animals.

And baselines can erupt.

And not all eruptions clear away underlying problems.

Here's an even more out-there idea:

If a baseline still retains the genetics necessary to erupt after being bio-morphed into an animal. . . what happens if he breeds with his new species?

Here's an even more out-there idea:

If a baseline still retains the genetics necessary to erupt after being bio-morphed into an animal. . . what happens if he breeds with his new species?

Presumably he *can't*... although he could breed with his original. ::ohmy

Archived