Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Backgrounds

Blue Thunder

I've done some thinking on how certain Backgrounds will work during the campaign, and here's what I've decided on.

Backing (Teragen) - Useless, sadly. During the NoLK, everyone will be at war, and your dots in Backing will be useless; no one will recognize your rank. If luck favors your character, you could climb to the level of a Pantheon member in a short period of time. You could also lose that Pantheon seat in just as much time. It all depends on events, and during the NoLK all kinds of crazy stuff could happen to catapult your characters in rank.

If this campaign manages to finish the NoLK, then I'll award everyone dots in Backing for free. If such a time comes, here's how it'll work:

Backing (Teragen)

x - Not part of the movement

* - Assisting the movement as a sympathizer or loyal informant, or a newb that isn't trusted yet

* * - A newer Terat, trusted but not in a position to make decisions or lead, not widely known

* * * - An experienced Terat, valued as an asset to the movement, respected

* * * * - A prominent Terat within a faction, influential and well-known

* * * * * - A Pantheon Terat, highest ranking available, able to infuence movement as a whole, leader within faction

* * * * * * - Divis Mal

Most of the Prominent Terats that don't have Pantheon seats are at four dots. Most of your "standard" Terats would fall into the 2 or 3 dots range. A poser or follower type, like some of those in the Pandamonion that just want to be associated with the Teragen or are in it for the ride, would be at zero dots or 1 dot, depending.

Influence (Teragen) - At first this was a good idea, but it faces the same problems as Backing. Leviathan isn't going to care how famous you are in the movement if you're opposing him. He'll still eat your face off. In fact, being famous in the Teragen during the NoLK could actually be bad for your physical safety. Normal Influence, represnting fame and pull in society at large, will still work (and as far as the book goes, you don't take a specialty for Influence anyway). Influence geared towards the Teragen won't work, and I don't want your characters to purchase it, only to have your XP go to waste.

Any comments? Or questions on other Backgrounds? I believe I already PMed the three players this affects, but I'm posting this here for all to see, so no one else purchases these.

Archived