Adventure! RPG: Warlords of Tellus - Warlords of Tellus OOC

Jackson Creed

Just to let you know: I'll be ignoring this bit, 'cos the Ophidian doesn't 'suddenly appear' & Gro-Khash has no reason to even suspect he's there. 'Cloud the Mind' isn't a D&D 'Invisibility spell' - combat only cancels it because it's 'an obvious action which calls attention', not for some karmic reason which makes being not seen incompatable with violence. The Ophidian's actions are all too subtle - he didn't leap out & yell, or take a swing at the officer - just the opposite in fact. The only character in the scene who has any reason to perceive The Ophidian is the officer himself... & he's not really in a position where he's willing to draw attention to the snake man... ::sly

Whoopsie. My bad, I'll edit that out. It didn't really occur to me that he was being subtle from everyone else's perspective. I made a big IC mistake and looked at it from the wrong IC perspective (i.e. the officer's).

And here I thought I was being all polite and courteous by acknowledging The Ophidian's contributions to our escape. ::blush

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

::unsure

Sorry I've been so slow posting here - I think I haven't quite mastered Grenda's character yet, so I tend to second guess myself a lot. That and I've been obsessively rewatching season one of Veronica Mars...::blush

I should be able to post something tonight, no worries ::thumbup1

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it. At the moment, R'Garok is:

- busy piloting the sky-boat.

- holding the Princess K'ora hostage.

- not close enough to Princess Grenda to prevent Nick from killing her if hostilities break out.

You guys were aware that Nick does this kind of thing for a living, right? ::sly

Edit: Please note that I'm not actually trying to trigger some kind of showdown. Nick doesn't really care about group unity, but I do for the game's sake. So in my mind, he's really just showing his claws right now; he doesn't actually want to kill her. [However, he did mean what he said, he's had his fill of princesses for the day and Grenda made him mad.]

I doubt it. At the moment, R'Garok is:

- busy piloting the sky-boat.

- holding the Princess K'ora hostage.

- not close enough to Princess Grenda to prevent Nick from killing her if hostilities break out.

You guys were aware that Nick does this kind of thing for a living, right? ::sly

We don't know you from boo, buddy, and no matter how good you are, there always someone better; not saying it's anyone on the raft, but never assume someone can't kick your ass, it's a dangerous way to live ::biggrin

Edit: Please note that I'm not actually trying to trigger some kind of showdown. Nick doesn't really care about group unity, but I do for the game's sake. So in my mind, he's really just showing his claws right now; he doesn't actually want to kill her. [However, he did mean what he said, he's had his fill of princesses for the day and Grenda made him mad.]

Hey, it's all cool, and who says we need 'party unity' anyway - this is a Potts game, after all, we can hate each other with giddy abandon, if we so choose ::wink

(Working on Grenda's reply, should be up a little later today.)

Shouldn't y'all be more concerned about the possibility of pursuit from the Imperial air corps?

And btw Phoenix, I just love "hearing" Nick speak with that lilting Irish accent...its a fun read! Can't wait to join in! (waiting for the ok from Potts before I send him any more PMs ::blush ). It would seem you are the only human in the group at present P...never thought Id say it but that makes him seem even more special and exotic...very cool! Daredevils rule! Given that Daredevil knacks don't usually say pay an inspiration point that frees up alot of your IPs for dramatic editing...I have money on Nick if a fight breaks out! ::sly ::ultracool

All caught up!

and wondering why Grok doesn't just lob a stone at the earthman for threatening the princess... (he did defy the emperor for the same, after all...)

Gonna catch up on other games before getting back into character...

For the sake of continuity and the fact that a whole conversation seems to have taken place since Nick's threat, I'll pretend that Grok didn't hear it...maybe the imperial princess is struggling and asking to be let down or something...

So Nick already landed (go Nick!), but i wanted to let y'all know that i have been planning on playing a sky-riding Saurian. I just sent a PM to Potts asking for feedback on my idea (before i go ape-shit on a final version! ::tongue ). If he is okay with things or needs changes I will expedite his completion in order to rescue any freefallers. If y'all would rather not have that then thats okay...thats why Im putting it out here. I can always wait for another introduction, no problem, though this did seem an opportune moment.

Any comments?

No one has that much Inspiration... ::tongue

In any case, to be honest, this is the PCs first opportunity for some fun dramatic editing / cliffhanger stuff: I'd rather not have it completely subverted into an introductiuon for another character. Having looked at the length of SkyLion's latest PM, I doubt his character will turn up that soon anyway... ::rolleyes

... So, please all just respond to the cliffhanger as normal & ignore the man behind the curtain... ::sly

When Dramatic Editing, can people please list [in OOC brackets] what they're actually paying Inspiration for - e.g. 'A Minor Onscreen Effect with Plot Complication' or something similar. I'll reserve the right to change the costs (& / or results), naturally, but if you list what you're paying for then everyone else gets the opportunity to add Minor Extensions & the like if appropriate & they want to. For those out of Inspiration a Minor Extension with Plot Complication may be their only chance to avoid death, unless someone ponys up the Inspiration to save the whole group at once. After all, the Dramatic Edit itself is an OOC, player-controlled, game mechanic - it should be visible to other players too.

No one has that much Inspiration... ::tongue

In any case, to be honest, this is the PCs first opportunity for some fun dramatic editing / cliffhanger stuff: I'd rather not have it completely subverted into an introductiuon for another character. Having looked at the length of SkyLion's latest PM, I doubt his character will turn up that soon anyway... ::rolleyes

... So, please all just respond to the cliffhanger as normal & ignore the man behind the curtain... ::sly

Awww...you're killin' me Potts! ::tongue As soon as I read your response I'll know what needs to be done... ::wink

((OOC: Well, this does technically qualify as a Minor Extension (of phoenix's dramatic edit), since the crewmen he grabbed were there anyways, but it's also pretty extreme. How's about we call it a Minor Onscreen effect? BTW, I cribbed my idea from the end of The Bourne Identity, where Jason Bourne falls several stories down a stairwell and uses a badguy to break his fall. It looked cool when he did it, so I thought I'd give it a go. ))

::blink

Ah... I think someone's 'headspace' is stuck in 'zombie survival horror' mode... ::ohmy

You recall that big thing I wrote about being genre-specific in character actions a while back (the bit about how Grenda threatening K'ora with gang-rape wasn't appropriate to a pulp sci-fi setting)? Still applies.

Fair enough, the two innocent-of-any-crime un-Inspired crewmen are destined to die in the crash unless some PC choses to save them, but the sadistic gore-fest which is their brutal murder is, let's face it, not the sort of thing we should be seeing in a setting like this. Throwing enemy soldiers off the floating city during a fight to the death is one thing - using a victim of circumstance as a human-frickin'-surfboard though the trees is more 'Evil Dead' than it is 'Flash Gordon'... As a rule of thumb if your character's actions conjur up words like 'sick' or 'twisted' when you think about them, then chances are you're about to post something way off the mark for the genre.

While we're at it, it looks like a review of the Cliffhanger proceedure may be in order:

1. Every character gets a single free action.

2. Players can spend Inspiration to gain additional actions - one Inspiration per extra action.

3. Players can (& probably will) use Dramatic Editing.

4. NPCs (even Inspired ones) can not use Dramatic Editing during a cliffhanger (they're there to be rescued by the heroic PCs, if at all).

5. Technically characters should post cliffhanger actions in reverse Initiative order (i.e. the character with the lowest Initiative rating posts first) - I was planning on ignoring this ('cos I'd prefer not to prevent anyone posting when they have the opportunity), but can re-instate it if people are keen to let others blow their Inspiration first.

So far Nick's action has been spot on: making the part of the canopy he happens to hit soft & thick enough to help break his fall, & having a convenient vine to swing on, is a Minor Inscreen Effect - i.e. it's an immediate help, but only to him, & he still needs his action to make the associated Athletics roll.

Apart from being way off genre Gro-Khash's action is either a big multiple action (1. grab innocent bloke one, 2. grab innocent bloke two, 3. throw innocent bloke one, 4. throw innocent bloke two, 5. try to land safely), or he's spending Inspiration for extra actions. Since he's directly attacking the two innocent crewmen, that's not a Plot Ramification (since all Dramatic Editing, including for cliffhangers, is the result of luck & circumstance, not character actions). His use of the canopy being nice & soft is a Minor Extension of Nick's Dramatic Edit.

Now, if Nick (or rather phoenix) had spent 3 Inspiration for a Major Onscreen Effect, he could have denoted that the whole canopy was soft & thick enough to help save everyone falling from the SkyShip, & everyone else could have saved their Inspiration, (hence the need for the OOC Dramatic Editing information to be included in posts).

Technically character cliffhanger actions should be posted in this order (slowest to fastest characters):

R'garok 'Bone Crusher'

Nick Baker

Gro-Khash Zghal

The Ophidian

Princess Grenda

This is a bit of a bind, of course, for ol' R'garok - since he's out of Inspiration & really should be posting first... ::unsure (of course with a Stoneman's 7 Lethal Soak - which does have full effect Vs falls, since Stonemen are stone all the way through - Vs 10 dice Lethal damage from the fall, chances are he'll be okay anyway...)

The Imperial Princess, Grenda's maid, & the two crewmen (unless Gro-Khash really does want to murder them) will all need assistance (either character or player through group-effecting Dramatic Edits) to survive.

It's an immediate help, but only to him, & he still needs his action to make the associated Athletics roll.

Athletics? He should get to use his Melee pool, he's using his staff for it and everything...!

Just kidding. ::wink

Athletics? He should get to use his Melee pool, he's using his staff for it and everything...!

Hah! ::tongue

Do you use the "soak is haved vs. terminal velocity falls" rule Potts?

::confused

Uh... no... I used the rules from the Adventure! book ('Falling', page 210)... you ask the weirdest questions sometimes... ::unsure

Hah! ::tongue

::confused

Uh... no... I used the rules from the Adventure! book ('Falling', page 210)... you ask the weirdest questions sometimes... ::unsure

What can I say..Im a weird person! ::happy Actually i was refering to Aberrant falling rules..I wasn't aware that they were different for Adventure. Sorry, but I don't get overmuch into the ST section of the rules...

I was sort of asking for your games in general but now that I know that the rules are different I will assume you use the Aberrant ones for Aberrant and Adventure ones for Adventure...again sorry.

Remember that unlike most of these kids, I haven't played with you very long so I am sure there are other house-rulings I am unaware of...

Sky, as someone whose played in almost all of Prof's game, I can tell you that this,

I haven't played with you very long so I am sure there are other house-rulings I am unaware of...

shouldn't be an issue. As far as I can tell, Proff has no house-rulings other than using the rule books and game specific things that he clearly states up front (like the races in Warlords). I guess the only thing you might call a 'house-ruling' is how he handles some of the 'optional rules' out there (ie. merits/flaws and power strengths/weaknesses).

Actually I take it that's not a "home rule" either, but I'm glad for the clarification anyway because I never understood the official explanation in spite of having read through it a few times.

[Well, skimmed it ::wink ]

Technically character cliffhanger actions should be posted in this order (slowest to fastest characters):

R'garok 'Bone Crusher'

Nick Baker

Gro-Khash Zghal

The Ophidian

Princess Grenda

Sorry, just started work again now that I'm back. I'll post something asap.

This is a bit of a bind, of course, for ol' R'garok - since he's out of Inspiration & really should be posting first... ::unsure (of course with a Stoneman's 7 Lethal Soak - which does have full effect Vs falls, since Stonemen are stone all the way through - Vs 10 dice Lethal damage from the fall, chances are he'll be okay anyway...)

Dammit! I knew I should have asked about this beforehand! In that case, Gro-Khash's soak would completely negate the damage from the fall right (with BoB)?

As for the inappropriate post, sorry. Most of my experience with pulp (which is limited anyway) has been really old stuff from the 1890's through the 1920's, and there's a fair amount of stuff in those books that would be considered inappropriate even by today's standards (although most of that is racial or class related rather than violence related), so I may periodically stray away from your vision Prof. If I do (as I apparently have), then just slap me on the wrist and I'll go edit my post.

Sorry guys, I was most definitely not trying to start a controversy!

Assuming that I read Prof's post correctly, and Gro-Khash's soak isn't reduced by the fall, then I'll just have him fall like a rock (pun intended). Just so you guys have an idea of what my action is likely to be.

Dammit! I knew I should have asked about this beforehand! In that case, Gro-Khash's soak would completely negate the damage from the fall right (with BoB)?

Pretty much.

As for the inappropriate post, sorry. Most of my experience with pulp (which is limited anyway) has been really old stuff from the 1890's through the 1920's, and there's a fair amount of stuff in those books that would be considered inappropriate even by today's standards (although most of that is racial or class related rather than violence related), so I may periodically stray away from your vision Prof. If I do (as I apparently have), then just slap me on the wrist and I'll go edit my post.

Like you say, 'inappropriate' (by modern standards) stuff in pulp is mostly sexist & racist - which, to be honest, is totally fine in a Tellus context (you've noticed the skimpy outfits & the slave girls everywhere, right? ::sly ). In Masked Men I'm pretty sure I refered to (in context) people of Chinese origin as 'Celestials' a couple of times, 'cos that's the sort of thing the'd write back in the pulps. Uber-gore-fest violence, on the other hand, never turned up. You'd get the odd 'ironic' death & the like, but even if the bad guy fell into the workings of the industrial crusher he tended to just disappear - there wasn't an accompanying shower of blood & guts which coated the hero... Look at the movies from the twenties & thirties - people get killed all the time, but you rarely even see any blood. Heroes could be 'hard nosed' but were never totally sadistic in a slasher-horror manner - & neither were the bad guys.

I hate to ruin everything, but The Ophidian was still cloaked; unless the Prof rules that we have entered another scene during the crash. Otherwise, you have no idea he's there.

Correct - no one but The Ophidian knows where The Ophidian is (or even that he's on-board).

On the other hand Potts, there always was a threat of gore. Even the book has a reference to a villain having strapped a hero onto a buzzsaw table or something...its just that in Pulp, however great the suspense might be, as you say, that buzzsaw should never connect in a shower of gore...

Archived