Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - One Enchanted Evening...

A day or so after everything settles down (debriefing, visiting Greek World etc.), Theo recieves another knock upon her door.

It is Esteban, well groomed and casualy dressed, holding a single tropical flower which exudes a soft and heady fragrance.

IPB Image

'This is normal, people do this,' Theo thinks to herself as she opens her door. Her eufiber has shifted into a little black dress and some open-toed black pumps.

"Hello Esteban," Theo smiles shyly. "Is that for me?"

He holds it out for her.

"Si, para ti. Es verdad... eres una flor mas hermosa."

"Are you ready? I asked The Mask to take care of our travel arrangements."

"Thank you, it's lovely," Theo blushes. "I just need to grab my purse, just a second."

She ducks back inside for a moment, picking up a purse from her bed.

"So where are you taking me tonight?" she asked, a little nervous as she walked back. The Mask was taking them someplace?

"I thought it would be nice to get out of the SGE, so I prepared a dinner at my house." He pauses, picking up on her anxiety. "I hope thats alright with you...I don't really enjoy noisy restaraunts..."

Meanwhile, the Obsidian Mask, still in full regalia stands tall and imposing in the hallway. Giving a lordly bow to Theo, he intones in his hollow almost robot-like voice, "It is The Masks pleasure to show you to your table."

The regally-poised nova grips nothingness and pulls open a tear in reality. Where once the hallway was visible, there is now a wooden deck, surrounded by tree boughs illuminated with the wispy glow of fireflys. At the far end is a wooden table laden with a feast fit for Nova and lit by candlelight.

Esteban smiles and gives a small bow of his own, indicating for Theo to enter. "After you..."

His house. Hmmm.

"Athena, I'm going out," Theo says.

"Thank you gentlemen," she smiles, glancing at them both. Theo takes hold of her skirt, lifting the edge slightly then stepping through the tear onto the wooden deck beyond. She stumbled slightly then straightened up.

"Sorry, felt a little dizzy there for a moment," Theo says, turning to face the tear.

With Feline grace, Esteban is beside Theo as her balance falters, ready to catch her just in case. Still he stops short of touching her, and straightens as she does.

When Theo looks back she sees the warp closing behind her. Now on the other side she can see that the deck is actually quite high off the ground, built into the canopy of a massive and many limbed tree. It is attached to a multi level house that winds around the tree into the depths below. The surrounding rainforest is alive with the noises of the night. Chirping birds and monkeys can be heard all around but the effect is serene. A gentle breeze moves through the humid air, flickering the candlelight , while firefly's dash to and fro in aerobatic dance.

Esteban is positively glowing with happiness, mostly contained, yet he is unable to keep the brightness of his attraction from showing through his eyes.

"Welcome to my home Theodora. I have not recieved many visitors..." He motions over to the table. It is set elegantly yet simply and arrayed with covered silver platters. "Are you hungry? I wasn't certain as to your tastes so I made a bit of everything."

"No, I would guess you wouldn't. It's very lovely," Theo says, drinking it all in. "I am, a bit."

Indeed as he uncovers the platters, she sees Pescaito Frito, Arroz Cubano, sauteed chicken and eggplant (which Esteban explains is actually iguana meat, though its hard to tell the difference), tossed Ensalada with fresh made dressing, freshly baked bread, and vintage wine. The smell of safron and wine sauce mix with more exotic aromas, no doubt gathered from the bounty of the jungle.. From the amount of food obviously prepared from scratch it would seem Esteban had spent the better part of the day cooking.

Without taking his eyes from hers, he pulls a chair out for her in gallant fashion...

"This is incredible," she gushes, sitting down. "Did you make all this yourself?"

Esteban smiles proudly. "Si. Some things of course, such a the rice must be cultivated elsewhere, but I caught the fish this morning in a nearby stream. The bread was baked in my brick oven downstairs, and the wine comes from my families cellars in Spain..."

She glances up and blushes.

"You're... staring," she mummers.

"Ai! My apologies...these days I often forget such simple things as blinking." which he then does so consciously. Esteban takes his own seat before uncorking the bottle. "I have found it quite liberating not needing to eat...when I do so now it is for the sensual pleasure of it. I choose only the finest ingredients, making sure the proportions are just so..."

He fills both of the crystal goblets halfway, handing one to Theo. Swirling it in his glass he inhales deeply, eyes closed taking in more information than the most highly trained sommalier. He opens his eyes again slowly, filled with the bliss of the conniseur. Regarding Theo fully, he glances around at the table and their surroundings as if for the first time. Raising his glass to clink gently against hers he takes a first savory sip and then puts the glass down.

Theo takes a cautious sip and puts her glass down, savoring the unusual flavors on her tongue.

Turning his attention to serving them, he continues. "I...can't tell you how pleased I am that you decided to join me tonight. I feared you had misjudged me at my first invitation."

"I don't get a lot of invitations," Theo shrugged, ducking her head slightly. "Most men go after the beautiful girls." And their implants.

"If there is one thing being a shapeshifter has taught me, it is that beauty is something inside a person. Besides, as must be obvious, Im quite taken with you..."

"I'm more at home down in the basement with my computer or in the back of the repair shop back in San Fran. So how long ago did you um, become a nova?"

"About 5 years ago. I had been doing research on the neurological effects of many so-called entheogenic plants." He grins. "Some of my fellow scientists would have accused me of "going native," since I decided to experience the effects firsthand. It was during my first real visionquest that I erupted and I must say, it was quite a vision!"

He cuts into the moist pescaito. "How about you?"

"My parents died in a car crash when I was 7," Theo said. "I didn't erupt then though. Me and my sister got put into foster care. I went back and forth from facility to foster home. At the last one... I got into an argument and erupted. It scared me so much I just ran out the door." All the way to California.

Theo took another sip of wine. She hadn't lied, not really. He didn't need to know everything.

"I wound up at a Nova Youth Hostel in San Francisco, doing odd jobs here and there. It didn't give me a lot of time to socialize."

Esteban nods. "I am sorry for your loss, though I do know life has a way of balancing out the scales." His tone is empathic, and shows no hint of pity. "In your case, life has led you to grow your inner strength and fire. It sounds like you had to take responsibility for yourself at a very early age. I can also see why you may be a bit shy around boys." He winks playfully. "You haven't touched your food yet...is it not to your liking?"

"Oh! Sorry," Theo smiles in apology, "I got a little distracted by your question."

She picks up her fork and starts on her salad.

Esteban likewise digs in, though it is somewhat humorous that he eats smaller portions than the diminuitive Mouse. He does however eat more slowly, savoring the taste and texture through his refined sensing abilities.

Allowing the both of them to enjoy each others company in silence, Esteban makes sure to note any subtle cues Theo may show as to her comfort level and enjoyment, while also remembering not to stare.

He allows her to be herself and guide the conversation in a direction that interests her, unless it seems like she is waiting for him in which case, he will pick up the ball...

At a comfortable moment, when Theo pauses eating, perhaps when she has anopther sip of wine (pristine water, distilled from the pure rain is also available.), Esteban speaks up.

"You know, in spite of the risks and the stakes involved, I really do feel that we are priveleged. The frontier we get to explore has only ever been vaguely glimpsed through theoretical physics or the imaginings of science-fiction. That we have the urgency of survival biting at our heels, makes me appreciate moments like these all the more. I do wish Michal would tell *our* world though...especially in light of what we just saw..."

Theo almost chokes on her water.

"Sorry," she manages, hurriedly blotting herself with her napkin. "You think Michal should tell people? Do you know what would happen?"

"Mass panic," she continues, shaking her head. "People would go crazy, demanding solutions nobody has. Maybe taking some general's empty assurances that the weapons they've got can take care of an alien menance like the Meklar. We already know what good that'll do."

"Then they'd want the mapper, in the name of national security. It'll be too important to risk. God help us if it gets out we've got gates to other worlds. Can you imagine Greek world getting overrun by us? And they're no escape, they're in the same boat."

"And we'd get taken over by the government. Would they even let us out there again? Would they stick to trying to find a safe world or a weapon that might let us take on the Meklars? Or would we become someone else'ssecret black project?"

"For everyone's sakes, we're better off keeping it a secret until we have more to offer."

Esteban can't help but be amused as she sputters.

"Haha. Well no, not tell just anyone or everyone...and you're right, of course... we *do* need more information before we "present the case" so to speak. We want them to believe us after all. Its just that now we know we may not have as much time as we thought and you saw how uncoordinated and ineffective the last planet was. What gets me is that they did take down two. If they had worked tactically and in coordination, rather than just charging headlong into death, I think the situation would have turned out differently."

"And more time to prepare," Theo added.

"And another thing...as good sounding of an idea it is to think of evacuation I think Michal either doesn't know what he is talking about or he is hiding something from us. While looking for worlds to evacuate to is part of our mission, think about the logistics of that. We would need thousands of gates, probably bigger than the one we use to evacuate an entire planet..."

He stops himself.

"...But listen to us going on! I didn't ask you here so we could talk all night about work...we have plenty of that on our plates... Speaking of which, it looks like you are getting close to finished there. I hope you saved room for desert..."

"Some," Theo said, stiffling a groan. "Of course, Michal doesn't tell us everything. What if we got captured? Oh - do you have a bathroom? I just need to freshen up a bit." And walk off some of that wonderful food.

Esteban smiles <broadly> at that.

"Why walk? I was actually rather hoping you'ld go for some flying with me..."

"...but yes, the restroom...let me show you."

He leads the way inside speaking more as he goes.

"You know, I haven't really spent much time here...I've been on the go for some time. Its nice to indulge in a little homemaking."

The design of the treehouse sirals around the massive tree. Due to the placement of the branches however, there are different levels and a few outlaying buildings. Directly off the dining area is the kitchen and the brick oven. On the other side of a partial wall appears to be a cozy den area with shelves filled with many books on biology, chemistry, herbal medince, shamanism, spirituality, philosophy and ecology.

Overall the feel of the house is warm, with light colored, finished wood and stained glass and clear windows in interesting shapes and angles.

He leads her to a walkway that goes down a few levels, closer to the ground. The toilet is separate from the bathing area, and is essentially an nice outhouse with piping leading to the cistern and the septic system.

Esteban then leaves her to her business and returns to the kitchen to prepare dessert.

When she returns he is standing next to the tiled counter holding two steaming mugs with freshly whipped cream frothed on top. "Old family recipe...Belgian dark chocolate, a spash of vanilla, a dash of cayenne and a hint of cinnamon..."

He hands her a mug with a playful grin, "And now for the best part! He reaches behind him and pulls out two bowls of what appears to be a rich caramel ice cream. "Dulce de Leche! ...Together the mixing of the hot and the cold stimulates the pallate like nothing else! One of the reasons I still enjoy eating." He gives her a friendly wink and hold up his glass.

"Cheers!"

Theo quirks an eyebrow but raises her glass with a smile and tries the cocoa. "Hot chocolate and ice cream...."

She then tried a bit of the Dulce de Leche and sighed. It was a good thing she was a nova - her body burned calories so fast it wasn't funny. Even her eufiber helped, shifting slightly to stay comfortable without binding.

Theo eyed the shapeshifter speculatively as she took another bite of her ice cream. What other plans did he have for tonight?

Esteban rolls the ice cream in his mouth and takes a sip of the cocoa, letting the hot and cold slide down his throat and giving him tingles all over.

He looks at Theo with an almost boyish delight, nodding at how good it tastes.

"I actually churn the Dulce de Leche myself as well...I still have my grandfather's old hand powered maker..."

When they are finished, he sighs in contentment and puts the tableware down. He holds out one hand to Theodora, in an invitation to hold hers...

Ozone. She could smell it as he reached out. Theo immediately clasped her hands together.

"I'm... not much for holding hands," she said, blushing slightly. The smell was gone. Had it been there? Or was it just an old memory of a smell?

Esteban begins to glow softly and his feet begin to levitate off the ground, his hand still outstretched.

"Its okay Theo." He blushes a bit himself, visible within the scintilating colors as a slightly darker hue. His expression turned earnest. "Whatever happened to you before, this is different...Im not going to bite you..."

Theo's face clouded. I might. And what did he mean by 'whatever happened to you'?

He lowers his hand back down and starts floating back towards the outside, breaking into a smile.

"Come on silly! Im inviting you to come out and play..."

"To play," she repeated flatly, walking after him. Outside again, she could see the rain forest laid out under the brilliant light of the full moon. Had he known or just gotten lucky? If it wasn't for all the moonlight she would have refused.

Her little black dress shifted, flowing around her body to become a black flight suit with footies. Gracefully she rose hovering in the air above the deck.

"Just what did you have in mind?" she asked.

Theo's mood had shifted visibly when he had held out his hand. He didn't know what it was; mean bullys, abusive parents or cruel teachers. Whatever it was, he had mistaken for shyness, and there was certainly some of that present, but moreso, it had made her suspicious.

Yet underneath her defensive walls, she seemed to genuinely like him. She was here after all. But her trust would have to be earned. There was nothing he could say that would prove to her that she was truly safe with him. He had to show her...

Putting some more distance between them, Esteban aerobatically rises into the air, performing a loop-de-loop and a rising 1800 degree twist, letting out a yelp of happiness at its apex. "Whoo-hoo!"

Diving down, he flies up to Theo in an almost Peter-Pan like fashion.

"That's the best thing about play...It's spontaneous! C'mon! I'll race you to the Falls..." He points over the misty canopy indicating the direction.

"On your mark. get set. Go!"

Theo darted after Esteban. It had been a while since she'd flown like this, fast and free.

This was more like it! Reveling in the joy of unaided flight, Esteban zooms to and fro, diving in to buzz Theo, then shooting away, leading them on a meandering course. The two are matched equally for speed, though Theo is by far the more graceful if she chooses to be ((from her M-Dex, of course)).

Below them can be seen a river, winding and snaking through the jungle, and she can tell that it guides their path. After another 10 minutes of flying, in which Esteban does his best to make Theo laugh and smile, they come to a series of waterfalls. There are three of medium size, the river falling over a cliff into the grottoed canyon where terraced pools catch the water before spilling it onto the next further down.

Esteban alights at the top of the highest fall, and waits for Theo to join him in taking in the view. When she is beside him he confides in her,

"This is one of my sacred places. The ki that flows through here is both dynamic and harmonious and I come here often when I can, to meditate."

"Ki?" Theo asks, frowning. "What's that?" Was it separate from 'chi'? She was told 'chi' was internal.

She looked around. The moonlight shining on the falls screamed romantic. Did he bring all his dates here? Was this the local 'make out point'?

Esteban seems surprised for just a moment. "Hmm..I had thought you spoke Japanese. Ki is the Japanese pronunciation of Chi, and embodies the same concept. One of the Martial Ways I practice, Ai-Ki-Do, translates litterally as "The Way, or Tao if you will, of Harmony with Spirit."

Taking his own statement as a cue Esteban inhales deeply and exhales, eyes closed for a moment in appreciation. "Even though I no longer need to breathe, there are millenia-long traditions espousing the benefits of flowing breath--ki-chi-prana--through one's body, connecting and harmonizing the internal and external..."

Realizing that he may be getting a bit esoteric for Theo, he opens his eyes, revealing a very centered and calm Esteban.

"I built my home here because after two years of searching it is still my favorite place on the planet. In all this time, you are my first visitor. Thank you for being here."

Through his calm and collected demeanor, his smile only softly raises the corners of his mouth. It is mostly in his eyes, which are shining brighlty in the moonlight.

"I thiought Ki was something inside you, like nova abilities?" Theo asked. Big fancy meal, now I'm the first visitor here?

Not too esoteric for her, apparently...

"Ki translates as "Life-Force Energy." But to Eastern mystics the whole of the Universe is alive. So even inanimate things, the rock we stand on and the water that flows, posseses Ki. In ancient Japan, the Shintoists thought of this as Kami, or spirits within nature, and the concpet was refined as more civilization was imported from China. You are correct though, in that Ki by itself refers to that within a person or object. Ai-Ki or Rei-Ki refers to the greater Universal Life Force... So it is true that Ki is internal, and may be used to perform feats of personal mastery. However the more esoteric martial arts teach one to draw energy from the world around you, so as not to deplete your own reserves...this is something I practice in mediation and it helps me restore my quantum batteries much more efficiently. It is also the secret behind many of the rooting and body hardening techniques of Eastern monks..."

He grins and rolls his eyes a bit at his next thought.

"...Of course these thoughts were ancient, long before Geoge Lucas plageurized them..."

An idea flashes across his face.

"This night is just too beautiful! C'mon, lets go for a swim!"

He leaps, swan diving of the cliff face, his eufiber retracting from his sleek muscles back into his body, save for trunks. He parrallels the first fall for 50 or 60 feet before splashing into the large and verdant pool below.

Rising up from his dive he stays half submerged, using his power to float rather than tread water. "Yeah!" he shouts, exhilerated from the freefall.

"C'mon in, the water here is amazing! Your Eufiber will keep you warm..."

He zooms around the pool on his back, gazing up at the canyon walls and the Moon shining above.

Theo lets herself drift down slowly to hover a meter above the water, her flightsuit staying a flightsuit.

"Don't you know not to swim so soon after eating such a heavy meal? You could get cramps."

She shook her head at him.

Esteban rises into the air, glistening droplets raining down to create circles within circles. A bright blue glow emanates from within him. Just as it seems like it may grow too bright it subsides,leaving Esteban in his Eufiber, dry, with a cloud of mist radiating in an expanding ring and sparkling in the moonlight.

"Ha Ha, very funny. But as I recall it was you who ate 4 plates...and then finished your desert..." he says, giving her a friendly wink.

He sighs. "But... I suppose swimming would be too much adventure for one evening."

He flies up close to her, looking deep into her beautiful full green eyes. He looks down away for a moment and then back up.

"It...must be getting late for you, huh?"

"I should be getting back," Theo said, smiling slightly. "I don't think Simon wants to wait all night, he might get the wrong idea."

"I did have a wonderful time."

"So did I."

He flies back a little and up slightly, offering her his hand once more.

"C'mon, I'll walk you home..." ::wink

Whether or not Theo takes his hand, he doesn't make a big deal out of it. Flying back over the canopy, eventually the glowing lights of the treehouse become visible again. Landing softly on the balcony he holds out a palm and a small wireless device emerges. He presses a button on it and it sinks back inside him.

"There should be a portal soon...I don't think Simon sleeps any more than I do..."

He pauses for a moment, considering whether or not he should ask what he really wants to. He decides that being honest is worth the risk.

"...Before you go, I did want to ask you one thing...was I really so mistaken when I thought you felt something for me?"

His expression is open and curious, and Theo can tell by his tone and demeanor that he really just wants to know the truth, regardless of what it may be.

"I do like you... as a friend and teammate," Theo says softly. "But that's all."

"You never quite know what's someone's really thinking when you're meeting them for the first time - unless you're a telepath," she added.

"Ai Seniorita Raton." He nods, and a tearing sound indicates the portal being literraly hand-ripped into the air by Mask.

He bows.

"Ciao, Mi amiga hermosa, and Good Night."

The portal closes, leaving Theo on the other side of the world. Esteban sighs up into the sky, then goes inside and begins cleaning up dinner. Tonight, for once, he would remain a man.

Holding the flower he'd given her earlier, Theo took a look back as she stepped through the portal and stood watching for a long moment as the tear closed. Then she raised her palms up and stared at them. How close had she really come to electrocuting him?

"Athena, I'm back," she said quietly.

She glanced at The Obsidian Mask and smiled slightly. She must look strange coming back wearing a flightsuit instead of the little black dress he saw before.

"Thank you," she told him.

From her Prada purse she pulls out her key and quietly unlocks her door and walks inside. Locking it behind her, she tosses her purse onto the bed and leans against the door - and slowly sides down to the floor.

The hand holding the flower trembled. Staring at it, she blinked as a tear fell on the petals. Theo rested her head on her folded arms, letting the racking sobs she'd been holding back to pour out as the forgotten flower tumbled from her hand.

Archived