Aberrant RPG - Theme Songs

metaphysician

What would be your PC's, or your campaign's, theme song?
For a while, when I was first playing Aberrant, our GM asked us to make a playlist of songs that would define our character. I actually took mine for Michal, and put it in an order that chronicled his slow evolution into emotional maturity. I lost it two years ago, though, so I'm not even going to try. ::smile I do remember that it had several pieces from OC Remix, especially "Doom 2: Gothic Sandy" which is one of the better pieces of 'combat' music I've heard, which was in place for when he was hunting down drug runners; and it had "The Soulforged" by Blind Guardian to signify when he lost his love, Clio, to the actions of a rogue Teragen member.

For my campaign, I'm not sure. Probably the music for Stargate: Atlantis, because I like it better than the music for Stargate: SG-1, and the Trans-D campaign is supposed to be SG-1-ish in feel. In Search of Inspiration I'm really not sure about the music, but probably something upbeat in vaudeville piano, or something sweeping and orchestral.

• 3 months later...

For Gossamer in Potts QZ: Truth & Justice game, I actually do have a song I associate with her, but it's kind of an odd choice. Goss seems very proper and well-bred, but she actually grew up listening to high-speed metal back in the late 80s/early 90s, and her favorite band was The Offspring. She loves to play along with their albums, and her favorite song is 'Genocide'; whenever I play it or hear it on the radio, I picture her leaping about her room, wailing on her vitage cherry-red Gibson SG, spining her head around and making her five feet of blonde hair whip around like a helicopter.

However, if you were to choose the music that would kick in when she came onscreen in a movie, hmm... What about the theme song to the musical Hair, but done up tempo by someone with a bit of edge? I would love to hear someone like Green Day cover it ::biggrin (Note: Some lyrics might have to be changed, like references to the 'hairy guy'.)

For Slither, it's a little tricky, but 'Meeting Across the River' by Spingstein off of Born to Run suggests one possible future for her if her dealings with the mob don't pan out, with its somber trumpet and piano. Plus it's by a fellow Jersey kid.

Theme songs for Aberrant characters & the game in general, eh?

AFA my characters, I always figured that "True Companion" by Donald Fagen (which can be found on the soundtrack for the first Heavy Metal animated movie) was a pretty good fit for my German technomorph & space travel enthusiast character Sprocket.

AFA Aberrant in general, I've found that many of the songs done by KMFDM work very well with the tone of the game. Not that techno like Orbital or Crystal Method doesn't fit well too, but KMFDM had lyrics to go with their sound bites, which makes for a more obvious connection.

My group uses theme songs all of the time.

The theme for our old Teregen game was initially "Down with the Sickness" and later changed to "My Evil Plan to Save the World" (That was a fun game ::biggrin )

Our T2M game had "Hero" as it's main theme, the mega-social/speedster had "Jesus Built my Hotrod" as her theme song, the entropy manipulating combat monster had "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" as his, and the earth/nature/druid character had "Downfall of the Human Empire" as his (he later left T2M to join Greenwar).

We ganked the soundtracks for Spartacus and Gladiator for the Nova Rome playtest, and we usually keep the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack along with all of the Star Wars, Star Trek, LoToR, and Matrix soundtracks available for various BGM.

The right playlist is as important to the games I run as the plot or characters.

-Nyxx

Archived