Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The Inescapable Conflict

Blue Thunder

"My name is Kyle Dighton. Aside from that, for now just rest assured I am a friend. So there will be no need to repeat myself, I believe it is best to wait until Envy arrives before I explain my purpose here. After I do however, you can all feel free to ask any questions you might still have."

The masked King Cobra crosses his arms.

"Does that mean Envy doesn't know why you're here now?" he asks evenly.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack makes his feelings about what they should do with one simple motion. His fingers elongate to long blades that he scrapes across the table slightly.

*The monster in me says we should strike him before he can strike us. Kill him and his horsemen, like he tried to kill Caroline.*

The masked King Cobra crosses his arms.

"Does that mean Envy doesn't know why you're here now?" he asks evenly.

Kyle shakes his head.

"Not yet. I asked to speak with him when we met at the Blackburn, and while he seems willing to do so, as I think you all know he is a little preoccupied at the moment. So when your friend...." He motions to Flare as to indicate who he means ".......asked me to open a gate here, I requested to come along so I might speak with Envy as well as the rest of you when he arrives."

Jack makes his feelings about what they should do with one simple motion. His fingers elongate to long blades that he scrapes across the table slightly.

*The monster in me says we should strike him before he can strike us. Kill him and his horsemen, like he tried to kill Caroline.*

Kyle pauses for a few moments at this point. He was somewhat hesitant to add anything in this area yet himself, considering he wasnt officially a Promethian yet. But finally, considering the fact that in all likelyhood he was going to be, he finally just decides to give his opinion in the area.

"While I do not typically care for resorting to violence, in this case I would agree. -If- you believe you all might be one of Delorimiers first targets, by all means it may be best to strike instead of waiting to be struck. But there are other things to consider. Like who do you believe will be Delorimiers first target or targets?" He looks to Vi a moment. "You mentioned concern about the Primacy possibly acting against you all. Well, do you believe Delorimier may try and act against them? If so, perhaps it may be best to withdraw and let them weaken each other before making any moves yourselves. On the other hand, perhaps Delorimiers first target might be one you do not care so little about. Then perhaps it may be best to try and discover when, where, and how Delorimier will act and assist whoever he acts against. Perhaps gain a valuable ally in these turbulent times."

"I think we should end this soon. Prolonged telepathic contact can have bad side effects, and he's unstable enough as it is. We can get more later, if need be."

*Understood*

"Thank you Agent Hooks, that will be all for now. You have done well...we'll see to your needs while we investigate your psychic condition."

Before exiting Turncoats mind, Envy uses that last Telepathy success to erase any memory of the Prometheans present at the secret Chrysalis enclave.

Envy exits Turncoats mind. Clearly envisioning the Trinidad compound, Envy reaches out for the mind of Kyle Dighton. If he is able to make contact, he sends the following:

*Apologies for the intrusion. I wanted to let you know that we are all done here for the moment. If you wouldn't mind opening another portal, we could join you all the quicker...*

Turning to Della and Lockdown.

"Thanks for your help. We can't leave him here so Im bringing him along. You two are both welcome to join us as well, though if you're not coming LD, we'll need to score some Mox for our guest here."

*****Trinidad*****

"That's up to you Vi", he said and arched an eyebrow. "Why, are you scared?"

Vi responded with a muffled growl.

Flare looked at her lover. "His Horsemen are dangerous. They're killers and they'll do anything Delorimier tells them to do, including to kill other Terats. We should tread carefully if he sends them against us. I've seen what they can do to his enemies outside of the movement, I can't imagine what they'd do to his enemies within the movement."

"You mentioned concern about the Primacy possibly acting against you all. Well, do you believe Delorimier may try and act against them? If so, perhaps it may be best to withdraw and let them weaken each other before making any moves yourselves. On the other hand, perhaps Delorimiers first target might be one you do not care so little about. Then perhaps it may be best to try and discover when, where, and how Delorimier will act and assist whoever he acts against. Perhaps gain a valuable ally in these turbulent times."

Flare responded "The Primacy doesn't have any special love for the Cult of Mal's ways. Delorimier openly supports the Primacy's goals, though, which has put him into Shrapnel and Confederate's favor. Both factions propose more immediate and public strikes against the movement's enemies, so they have that in common. They don't exactly like each other, yet they support what the other is doing. I actually find this to be dangerous for us. It's possible they could join forces."

*****Blackburn*****

Turning to Della and Lockdown.

"Thanks for your help. We can't leave him here so Im bringing him along. You two are both welcome to join us as well, though if you're not coming LD, we'll need to score some Mox for our guest here."

Lockdown popped some gum into his mouth and chewed quite loudly. "Sorry there Envy, got other things ta take care of, business y'know." Oliver Davies takes out a tiny bottle of capsule pills and sloppily hands them to Envy, seemingly oblivious to Envy's touch-based powers. Miraculously there was no skin contact. "That's all the mox I 'ave. I'll be seein' ya 'round..."

Lockdown left the room. Della waited until the door closed behind him and let out an a sigh of relief. She turned to Envy and Bob. "I would be willing to accompany you, yes. This Delorimier sounds very dangerous, perhaps I can assist in some fashion."

Kyle nods to Flares answer. He would have to make a point of better studying up in the 'goings on' within the Teragen, something he hasnt been as up to speed in as he guesses he should be. But of course before now he didnt have much need to be.

Whatever the case, he was just about to say something, but stops when Envy contacts him telepathically. He 'listens' quietly to the message, then nods. "Well, it seems Envy is finished." And with that Kyle turns away from the table to focus on an open area to open his gate in and then starts to concentrate to attempt to open the gate as close to Envy as he could.

Lockdown left the room. Della waited until the door closed behind him and let out an a sigh of relief. She turned to Envy and Bob. "I would be willing to accompany you, yes. This Delorimier sounds very dangerous, perhaps I can assist in some fashion."

((...and Roach :-( ))

Roach detatches from the ceiling and drops beside his master, Envy, into a low crouch. "That mean we are te head off Mr. Envy? I could be fer a bite to eat."

After they have left the Blackburn and it's sensors, Bob says to Envy & Della,

"You both have telepathic powers right now, Yes? Could you implant into me a casual knowledge of Turncoat's personality? The main one I mean?"

Taking the mox doses offered, Envy slips them into one pocket.

"Roach, as you are the strongest, would you mind carrying our captive?"

Once they have stepped through with Turncoat and the Warp closes, Envy turns to "Bob" with a raised eyebrow.

"That does sound like it could be useful..." He turns to Della. "You were deeper into his psyche than I...would you care to do the honors?"

Envy then turns his attention to the gathered faction, satisfied that his immediate goals have been accomplished and eager to finally sit down and check in with everyone. This will be the first time since the raids....Only a day had passed and yet the whole world seemed different. Such was the sway held by Divis Mal...

Assuming one of the telepaths actually reach out mentally, they find Bob’s mental voice and mental landscape do NOT match his physical appearance. Physically Bob looks like a taint free nova. Mentally... at first it appears he’s some flavor of multiple personality, but although there are multiple minds there is only one personality. It speaks, and it’s dozens, perhaps hundreds of minds chanting in unison,

*NORMALLY WE WOULD ADD TURNCOAT TO OUR UNITY. MAKE HIM PART OF OURSELF. GRANT HIM IMMORTALITY. HOWEVER TURNCOAT IS A MULTIPLE MIND WHOSE MEMBERSHIP MAY BE LARGER THAN OURSELF AND WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.*

*YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, AND HE IS CONTROLLED BY HIS POWER.*

*PLEASE CREATE AN APPROIMATION OF HIS MIND FOR OUR REFERENCE.*

The overall effect is very creepy.

Assuming one of the telepaths actually reach out mentally, they find Bob’s mental voice and mental landscape do NOT match his physical appearance. Physically Bob looks like a taint free nova. Mentally... at first it appears he’s some flavor of multiple personality, but although there are multiple minds there is only one personality. It speaks, and it’s dozens, perhaps hundreds of minds chanting in unison,

*NORMALLY WE WOULD ADD TURNCOAT TO OUR UNITY. MAKE HIM PART OF OURSELF. GRANT HIM IMMORTALITY. HOWEVER TURNCOAT IS A MULTIPLE MIND WHOSE MEMBERSHIP MAY BE LARGER THAN OURSELF AND WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.*

*YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, AND HE IS CONTROLLED BY HIS POWER.*

*PLEASE CREATE AN APPROIMATION OF HIS MIND FOR OUR REFERENCE.*

The overall effect is very creepy.

As Della shifted through Bob's mind(s) for a suitable area to place information on the personality of Jesse Hooks, she thought to herself how intriguing the Teragen was. Both Turncoat and the Colony had minds the likes of which she had never encountered before. She was eager to study them in detail.

Della sent the information through to Bob's mind(s). While not an actual, new mind within Bob's head, the information was enough that he would be able to imitate Hooks with a great amount of detail. When she was done she entered the meeting room and took a seat at the roundtable with the Prometheans.

Envy then turns his attention to the gathered faction, satisfied that his immediate goals have been accomplished and eager to finally sit down and check in with everyone. This will be the first time since the raids....Only a day had passed and yet the whole world seemed different. Such was the sway held by Divis Mal...

"Ah, our leader has finished his 'interview' with Hooks." Flare said. "Now we can prepare our strategy in greater detail. But before that, I believe one of our guests has something they want to discuss. If you would, Mister Dighton..."

"Ah, our leader has finished his 'interview' with Hooks." Flare said. "Now we can prepare our strategy in greater detail. But before that, I believe one of our guests has something they want to discuss. If you would, Mister Dighton..."

Kyle nods, waiting until everyone was settled, and perhaps Turncoat was put where ever he needed to be put. But once it seemed everyone was ready, he would begin.

"Well, as I believe most of you have heard, my name is Kyle Dighton. I recently accompanied your friends Bob and Leiko........" He motions to each as he mentions them "......in 'liberating' the nova Erik from the Michaelites. For anyone who has not been told and are curious, we were successful and the Count saw fit to put Erik under my care. But that aside, while I was speaking with the Count, he suggested something else and I believe he is right. Technically I have been a Terat for some time now, however until recently I will admit I have not been very active in the movement. I have simply contented myself with my job at CORE. However in light of recent events, I believe it is time for that to change. In addition I have heard a fair amount about you Promethians and not only because of the Counts recommendation but because of my own personal interests in your beliefs, I would like to request joining you. I have little doubt I could use your assistance in the future, and naturally I will be happy to assist you all where ever I can as well."

While Kyle is speaking Envy listens, elbows on the table and palms together and resting against his lips, pensively.

"Given the circumstances, Kyle, I think its safe to say that you have rather poor timing in making such a request. You seemed surprised at the Blackburn but I actually know a fair bit about you ...keeping up with Nova's is a longtime past time of mine. Between that and the Quantum scans I just did, I know that you are quite the powerful telepath."

He turns to look at Della as he continues.

"This is in no way meant as disrespect to either of you, but telepaths are feared for a reason. We could have all just had our memory of the last 5 minutes altered and we wouldn't even know..."

He stands.

"However, I trust the Count implicitly, as well as The Mathematician. Thank you for your generosity Kyle Dighton...is there an elevated name that I might call you? The names of our forebears can no longer truly describe a member of the One Race...."

Kyle listens quietly until Envy finishes, finally offering a small smile and shake of his head when he was done.

"No disrespect taken, I can fully understand your concerns. But as it is I can only give my word that I have done nothing to any of your minds. The choice of trusting me is up to each of you, which is why I thought it best to speak to all of you about this matter. And I thank you for your trust Envy. As for a name, no I have not taken an 'elevated' name. To me a name is simply something used to identify a thing or person. And so far 'Kyle Dighton' has been adequate enough for me in that area. However as far as I am concerned, you are free to call me whatever you wish."

"However, I trust the Count implicitly, as well as The Mathematician. Thank you for your generosity Kyle Dighton..."

King Cobra frowns.

"I'm not sure that's good enough, Envy. The Count and the Mathematician are indeeed trustworthy, but we have no way to be sure that they truly support him. My mind is telepath-proof, and I could ask them if they really sponsor him - but it goes deeper than that, because an infiltrator powerful enough could have simply altered their memories to make them think he is trustworthy."

The masked nova looks to Kyle.

"I am sorry for the paranoia, Kyle. But as you may have noticed, it is our misfortune that 'they' really are out to get us..."

"I am sorry for the paranoia, Kyle. But as you may have noticed, it is our misfortune that 'they' really are out to get us..."

Kyle turns his attention to King Cobra when he speaks up, and then shakes his head to the apology.

"There is no need to apologise. In light of the current events I anticipated I would be met with some paranoia. And in fact I can respect such suspicion. Considering what has happened and what might happen as a result, it shows a fair amount of intelligence. However I have nothing to hide, and I am willing to cooperate with whatever you all feel is nessesary to ensure I am trustworthy."

***Flare***

"Well, can we trust...you...King Cobra?" Flare asks, tilting her head. "You sure keep to yourself a lot. How much do we actually know about you?"

"How do we know that Casius isn't a traitor with the Harvesters? How do we know that Vi isn't placed here to assassinate us? Or that my lover isn't a Utopian mole? Or that Mr. Winston isn't a spy? Or that I'm not a spy, for that matter?"

"The answer is that we don't know for certain. Our faction is new, and most of us have only just met each other these last few months. But distrusting one another will break us apart. It's distrust that Delorimier and so many others can use against us. I think an amount of fear and paranoia has it's place...the movement has survived this long because of it...but we should be directing these feelings at outside forces, instead of at each other."

Flare quickly contacted Jack. *I hope you don't believe I think you're a mole dear, I was just using you to make a point.*

***Vi***

Vi cocked an eye at Flare when she mentioned her name, but allowed her to finish. She resisted the urge to make a bitchy retort at the woman, and instead turned to Envy. "If Kyle wants to help us, we shouldn't refuse him. So he's a telepath, and so is Della. So what? Half of us probably have skills we could use on others without them being aware of it. I can move so quickly I can pick all of your pockets, and only one or two of you would even notice. Kyle and Della wouldn't even be in the movement if they weren't trustworthy. I think that blind CORE geezer is senile and out of his mind, but he wouldn't allow Kyle into the movement unless it was good for the movement. And Della is famous...she's risking her life just being in the same room with us.

***Della***

Della coughed politely. "I don't mean to overstep my bounds here, but I thought we were going to talk about this Delorimier? I can understand any distrust or suspiscion aimed at me and I even expect it. None of you have any reason to fully trust me. Over time I hope this will change, but for now I must earn that trust, and the trust of the entire movement for that matter."

"I uncovered a fair deal of information from Jesse Hooks', or Turncoat's, mind. I'll make a report with my findings at a later time if such a thing is necessary. The short of it is that Delorimier hasn't actually told Turncoat much at all. Many of his meetings with Delorimier are hazy, and some have been completely removed, and not even a psychic of my talent can recollect them."

"Count Raoul Orzaiz recently captured Turncoat and used a Terat called 'Mimi' to create a new personality within Turncoat's mind, one that is loyal to Orzaiz and the Casablancas. I believe this 'Mimi' is a Harvester telepath, though I have yet to actually meet her. This new personality is still within Turncoat's mind, and it only comes out under certain conditions preset by Mimi. It's possible that if I draw this personality out it would be friendly to us, but that isn't a certainty."

"I cannot tell of the exact depth to which Mimi put into the new personality...it's possible that Orzaiz only needed it for a single operation, and it is supposed to lie dormant until Mimi uncovers it again and erases it. Personally, I think such a matter should be brought up with the Count himself, as he seems to be on good terms with Envy. It's possible he didn't tell anyone else because he feared what would happen if word got out."

"As it stands now, the Apostle is unaware of Turncoat's current condition or capture, so that is a factor in the Prometheans' favor. From what I gather, Geryon and Nova Vigilance are also aware of what happened to Turncoat, and there's no doubt that Synapse knows. Using Turncoat against Delorimier, by having him gather information, is an option. This would require cooperation on Orzaiz's part, or action on our part to either make a new personality within Turncoat's mind or convince one of them to be loyal to us. I've also taken the liberty of 'uploading' fragments of Turncoat's mind into your own shapeshifter, Bob, which should prove helpful as well, as long as he avoids Delorimier's presence. I've only heard tales about his abilities, and what I've heard makes him sound extremely dangerous."

Della realized she was rambling on like she would at work, filing reports for the Della Weisskopf Investigative Agency. Predicting behavior, making evaluatations, and giving suggestions was something she did on a regular basis, but it was out of place here since she was only a guest with no standing. She wasn't even a Promethean. The feeling of importance, of contributing to a larger whole, gripped her as she spoke.

Leiko glances around, smiling quietly as she leans against the wall, as the various discussions of treason and paranoia go around. When the conversation returns to the matter of Delorimer, she finally speaks. "Do we have any rea*pop* to not hesitate in a strike against our false Apostle? I admit to being unsk*crackle*ts of war, but the longer we hesitate, the more difficult it will be to root him out. *hiss*moment, we have a truce with the Pandaimonion, and allies in the Casablancans and CORE. Turncoat is still under our control, *crackle*?" She addresses the last to Envy specificially.

"Well, can we trust...you...King Cobra?" Flare asks, tilting her head. "You sure keep to yourself a lot. How much do we actually know about you?"

King Cobra cocks his head at Flare, thrusting his chin forward.

"How could I be a mole? I'm a founding member; my friendship with Envy predates the Prometheans. I'm not accountable to the rest of you because you came to us." ::indifferent

"Do we have any rea*pop* to not hesitate in a strike against our false Apostle? I admit to being unsk*crackle*ts of war, but the longer we hesitate, the more difficult it will be to root him out. *hiss*moment, we have a truce with the Pandaimonion, and allies in the Casablancans and CORE. Turncoat is still under our control, *crackle*?"

"I don't think so. Let's talk tactics. Assuming we can pinpoint his present location, what's to stop us from warping in en masse? Maybe one assassin might be won over by narcotics and persuasion, but I doubt it would happen to me, and I'm almost sure he can't stop Roach, Jack, Vi... apologies if I left anyone out who'd want in... and myself, all at the same time. Am I wrong?"

The last question sounds genuinely inquisitive, not rhetorical.

"...As for a name, no I have not taken an 'elevated' name. To me a name is simply something used to identify a thing or person. And so far 'Kyle Dighton' has been adequate enough for me in that area..."
The Colony says,

"Well put. I'm Bob." ::sly

Brushing aside the “who can we trust” talk as paranoid navel gathering, The Colony says,

“So let’s turn Turncoat, then send him back. That's a way to pin point him. Let’s talk for a moment about Fong, what exactly happened and what exactly did Divis say?”

"Let’s talk for a moment about Fong, what exactly happened and what exactly did Divis say?”

King Cobra sighs.

"Well, Envy, Roach and I arrived to look after Fong and Zia while you people were on the assault. Turncoat arrived shortly after that, unexpectedly, and disguised as Bounty. He sat and talked with us, and then had a spasm of sorts in which he rapidly started adopting persona after persona. He revealed, apparently unwittingly, that Delorimier had betrayed Fong before and was planning to do it again. Then he returned to normal, and Synapse warned us that Fong was coming out immediately. We left Turncoat behind, distracted by Synapse, and went to the Chrysalis room itself, where Zia and Fong's chrysalis were. Divis Mal arrived shortly after us, and Envy told him angrily about the Apostle's betrayal. Divis then said - I'm paraphrasing - that Fong was a poor role model having failed her Chrysalis, and must be excised so that the movement may grow. He complimented Delorimier for possibly having had the same perception, but advised us that if we disagreed, we should show initiative and kill him. Kill the Apostle, that is."

He looks at Envy.

"Did I leave anything out?"

Jack looks between all the people talking and considers. What to do... He couldent help but want to wait, and try to gain favor with other factions. Get help in the endeavor...but Cobra's words were right. Divis' words were right. They needed to show muscle. They needed to make their words heard above all others.

The NV wouldent help them with this...but this would help them with the NV, the destruction of someone who threatens the one race.

Jack looks pointedly at Cobra and gives him a roman emperors thumbs up.

*Cobra is right...I know I may just be angry at him for trying to take your free will with his power...but we need to move. Divis Mal himself said that if we didnt like what he was doing we needed to step in. If we do this, not only can we make a name for ourselves in the movement...but mabey *you* could take head of the Cult of Mal. You could spread his word in a way no other could. I think this would be good for both of us, you in your path and me in mine."

He looks at Envy.

"Did I leave anything out?"

Envy smiles at his friend.

"No, I think you just about covered it..."

"The promblem with a frontal assault is that we would be essentially warping in blind. Furthermore, there is no telling how potent Delormier's control is. If full environmental gear is enough to stave off his chemicals, then I may be able to short out at least a portion of his powers and gain immunity...but that wont help if he turns the rest of you against me."

"The other problem is his potentially vast number of minions. This needs to be well thought out and planned...though i agree that time is of the essence. We shouldn't dally overmuch."

Envy scans his internal dossier's for any information that will help in planning the assualt.

((Academics roll please to determine the extensiveness of Envy's knowledge of Delormier, followed by a tactics roll please (tactical prodigy)))

"There's one other option I would like to table at this time. I suggest we bring our evidence to Scripture. I know what you are thinking...he is Mal's lover. But he has been friendly with us in the past, and...given Delormier's ambitions, Scripture may be one of his first targets in consolidating power over the Cult of Mal."

***SkyLion***

((Academics roll please to determine the extensiveness of Envy's knowledge of Delormier, followed by a tactics roll please (tactical prodigy)))

((Will handle via PM))

*Cobra is right...I know I may just be angry at him for trying to take your free will with his power...but we need to move. Divis Mal himself said that if we didnt like what he was doing we needed to step in. If we do this, not only can we make a name for ourselves in the movement...but mabey *you* could take head of the Cult of Mal. You could spread his word in a way no other could. I think this would be good for both of us, you in your path and me in mine."

Flare responded privately to Jack, *I would rather not see Delorimier killed, I would rather see him changed. They think of him as evil and manipulative. I think of him as overconfident and overeager. Remember that I once showed you the Light of Mal. Anyone can be shown the light, given the right situation. We need to show Delorimier the error of his ways.* She pauses. *Sadly, I haven't any idea how to do exactly that, or I would have suggested so already. This is why I have yet to speak up on this matter. If I could explain my feelings to Delorimier in a way that he would accept, I would gladly do so.*

"There's one other option I would like to table at this time. I suggest we bring our evidence to Scripture. I know what you are thinking...he is Mal's lover. But he has been friendly with us in the past, and...given Delormier's ambitions, Scripture may be one of his first targets in consolidating power over the Cult of Mal."

Flare came to attention. "I realize you've only been with the movement for a year or so, leader, but I'll have to bring your knowledge of the Cult of Mal into question, because there is no power for Delorimier to consolidate. Delorimier is in control of virtually every aspect of the cult, and he has been since before any of us ever came to the movement. Scripture does not lead the Cult of Mal...he is it's mentor and teacher, but not it's leader. He has no direct say in how it operates, and he has no desire to. He has allowed Delorimier to lead the cult because he believes in Delorimier and because his Apostle is fully devoted to a spritual understanding of Mal. Of course he carries more influence in the cult than even Delerimier does, but he never uses it. Scripture's position in the cult is that of Mal's mouthpiece, carrying down Mal's wisdom for all followers to understand. Nothing more. Delorimier plots and schemes, and Scripture is well aware of it. If the man can understand Divis Mal, why would you assume he can't understand Delorimier? If he was in danger, he would know it."

"There have been times when Scripture has disciplined Delorimier, but it has always been for errors of judgement. And you heard Mal yourself...he supports what Delorimier did. So this isn't an error of judgement...as far as the movement is concerned, Delorimier was in the right. And if Mal supports Delorimier's actions, then Scripture does as well. You speak about taking up arms, and part of me agrees with you, but --"

"Divis is testing you." Count Raoul Orzaiz's voice was sudden and strong, and it grabbed the attention of everyone that heard it. The Prometheans turned to see the Count step out of a dark, emerald warphole that silently manifested from a wall. It closed shortly thereafter, leaving the Count and Jaunt in the room. The mysterious Jaunt stepped back towards the wall and seemed to blend in with it, while the Count approached the seated Terats.

"I believe that is the point our dear Flare was getting at. Divis is testing you. He wants to see how you'll react to this situation. He wants to know how you'll handle it." The Count seated himself and looked around the room. "Attacking or subduing Delorimier will not win you the battle. Some Terats don't approve of Delorimier's actions, but neither would they approve of someone assaulting him. If you were to attack him now, the Prometheans would become the target of more than just the Cult of Mal."

Vi gave an inquisitive look. "Then what would you suggest? I'm with some of the others on this one, I say we charge in and chop the bastard's head off as soon as possible. There might be a few issues to smooth out later, but we'll have slain the beast, and that's what matters."

Orzaiz responded, "Delorimier cannot be defeated with a direct assault, so to speak. His followers are many, and his allies as well. Like I said, attacking him would make all of you into targets. You need to attack him where his power matters most, and do it over time. Instead of stabbing this beast in the heart with a sword, Vi, you need to lightly prick it with a poisonous thorn. Sabotage his efforts. Take away his followers. Spread rumors against him. Ally with his enemies. Break-up his alliances. Sow distrust within his ranks. Do it all while being unseen, deflecting attention elsewhere. And then, when his influence is at its lowest and he is at his weakest, do you strike."

The Count leaned back in his chair. "Of course, I will help organize such an effort. I also feel that Delorimier has gone too far, and I have said as much on several occassions. I may not have agreed with Caroline Fong's views, but she was still a dear friend and an incredibly intelligent woman. Hers is a great loss for us all."

Kyle would give a nod in acknowledgement to Bobs introduction, but otherwise just falls silent and listens as the others start thier talk about what to do about Delorimier, and then turns his attention to the Count when he enters. Again, Kyle listens until Orzaiz finishes, and then nods again.

"I have to agree with the Count in this matter. If you simply try and smash a delicate machine, it may well blow up in your face. On the other hand if you dismantle it slowly, while it may certainly take longer, not only is it safer but you may be able to salvage some usefull parts as well. And as I said before, I also believe it would be a good idea to at least attempt gaining as much intelligence on what Delorimier intends to do as we can."

Kyle looks to Della at this point.

"I know you said that Delorimier told Hooks very little, but is there anything else you have recovered from his mind that might be of use? Locations where we might find more useful information or where Delorimier often speaks of his plans? Other novas that might have more information than Hooks does? Or anything else of the sort?"

** Before the Count Enters **

Roach leans close to Envy

"Mr. Envy if yer fer goin' after dat Delorimer. We could do a small man crew. Chemicals don' bother me none and I'm fer breakin' in the heads o' his minions. What you think?"

Roach heads to the kitchen to rustle up some garbage.

** After the Count **

Roach re-enters the conference room with a box of random trash and not-so consumables. Seein' the Count sitting in on the session he sort of stands lost...gnawing absently on the remains of a broken chair leg.

Bob shakes his head slowly, not in disagreement but in agreement with the Count.

"Ouch. That's some test. But it does explain why Delorimier has been tollerated. He's Satan to Mal's God, right before he got kicked out of Heaven. We'll get stronger fighting him."

"Am I the only one who has the impression Delorimier is in this less for Mal's sake and more for his own? There really should be a way to use that. How do you fight religion?"

James spoke up for the first time in quite a while.

"Absorb it."

He looked over at Bob as he explained, "like the Buddhists or the Catholic Church. They just absorb and incorporate every religion they come across, removing the contradictory parts but keeping everything else. Seems to work for 'em too, seeing as how those are two of the largest and most successful religions in the world."

Then he looked back down at the table, "of course, I don't know whether our particular group is really all that well suited for such an undertaking." He looked up again and turned his head in Flare's direction, "unless you have any ideas on that. Do you think you could come up with a message that incorporates Delorimier's message, while at the same time cutting out all the negative stuff that makes Delorimier such a danger? Embrace his Cult while simultaneously removing his influence?"

Bob frowns and says,

"I've two other thoughts on this. One is that the enemy of my enemy is my friend... and the other group that might seriously object to the Cult is our other religious sect, the Companions.”

“The other thought is, well, pardon me for be a weasel but if this is going to be a bloody mess of a fight, and if the Companions actually are another religion that would oppose him, then maybe we could swing things so they’re on point?”

"I have to agree with the Count in this matter. If you simply try and smash a delicate machine, it may well blow up in your face. On the other hand if you dismantle it slowly, while it may certainly take longer, not only is it safer but you may be able to salvage some usefull parts as well. And as I said before, I also believe it would be a good idea to at least attempt gaining as much intelligence on what Delorimier intends to do as we can."

Orzaiz said, "Mister Dighton and I think alike on the matter. It would serve the movement much better if we slowly dismantled the Cult of Mal, rather than quickly destroyed it. We would have a few dozen angry ex-follower Terats on our hands. Better to slowly convert them to our way of thinking. With the right touch and a bit of finesse, we could manage to safely remove Delorimier and split the cult apart."

Flare sat motionless by Jack's side and listened to the conversation. She didn't respond to the Count's comments verbally, preferring to let her blank stare do all the talking. Orzaiz noticed.

"Of course this is all from my rather atheistic point of view, my dear. I mean no offense."

Flare replied, "You may not have intended to offend, but you did. The Cult of Mal has its problems, I admit, but faith isn't one of them. You're treating religion like a disease."

"Not religion, Flare. Just Delorimier's skewed version of it. We all agree that Delorimier must be stopped. But I got ahead of myself. I apologize."

"I know you said that Delorimier told Hooks very little, but is there anything else you have recovered from his mind that might be of use? Locations where we might find more useful information or where Delorimier often speaks of his plans? Other novas that might have more information than Hooks does? Or anything else of the sort?"

Della placed her arms on the table, leaned in, and clasped her hands together. "His primary church to Mal is in Paris. Two other major churches in France are in Rennes and Avignon, and he seems to split his time between the three. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Cult of Mal though. Not familiar enough to give any further recommendations on investigating Delorimier. Clarion and the Kabal sound like a good start."

Then he looked back down at the table, "of course, I don't know whether our particular group is really all that well suited for such an undertaking." He looked up again and turned his head in Flare's direction, "unless you have any ideas on that. Do you think you could come up with a message that incorporates Delorimier's message, while at the same time cutting out all the negative stuff that makes Delorimier such a danger? Embrace his Cult while simultaneously removing his influence?"

Flare turned to face James. "The Cult of Mal itself is fine, as is. It's just that Delorimier abuses his position and uses the cult's doctrines to criticize and chastise others. Mal may have just approved of Delorimier's turning Caroline over, but Terats have just become painfully aware of just how shady he can be. Marcel Delorimier is a man that is not afraid to stoop as low as possible to carry out his ambition."

"As for replacing him? Sadly, he is like the glue that holds the cult together. You've seen the fanatical look in the eyes of his initiates. He's managed to bring Terats like Rattler over to the cult, Terats with no religious leanings whatsoever, all through his incredible presence. Replacing him would present its own problems. While I am certainly flattered that you would consider me a good candidate, I don't think I am wise enough to preside over the entire cult. I have yet to undergo my own Chrysalis. Clarion, given enough time to mature and learn humility, would present a better candidate. Or Joff Rasmussen, were he to ever turn against his teacher."

"There are so few in the Cult of Mal that are not absolutely devoted to Delorimier. He dislikes having Terats in the Cult of Mal that are not directly under his influence. Noor and I have done good jobs of avoiding him mostly because we spend so little time around him. Noor, because she isolates herself from others and takes an Islamic approach to Mal. Myself, because I also prefer to remain independant, and because I never trusted him enough to spend great amounts of time around him. I joined the Cult of Mal out a desire to understand Mal, not out of adoration for the cult's Apostle."

"I've two other thoughts on this. One is that the enemy of my enemy is my friend... and the other group that might seriously object to the Cult is our other religious sect, the Companions.”

“The other thought is, well, pardon me for be a weasel but if this is going to be a bloody mess of a fight, and if the Companions actually are another religion that would oppose him, then maybe we could swing things so they’re on point?”

Orzaiz almost wanted to smile. This Terat was speaking his language. "I wouldn't call the Companions a religious sect per se. It is true that virtually all Companions are Islamic, and that the faction has been setting down networks in Islamic nations across the globe for years now, but that hardly makes them a "religious faction" like the Cult of Mal. They do not have defined religious codes as a faction, but rather, they are bound by one thing: Tarik."

"But there are obvious tensions between the two faction leaders...at least from Delorimier's direction. The Cult of Mal follows a strict Judeo-Christian view of Mal and Delorimier does not look favorably upon Islam. Tarik's novas are all Islamic, and from what I can gather, few of them see Mal as a divine figure like presented in the cult. It is possible to aggravate problems between the two of them though. They act courteously enough to each other, but anyone can tell that there are differences between them that cannot simply be talked through. Thus far they have had minimal contact -- they have had no reason to interact with each other -- but if they were forced into a confrontation, sparks could ignite into fire."

The Count remained calm. "I wouldn't suggest such a course though. I may have my doubts about Tarik, but he has proven to be far more valuable to the movement than Delorimier. It is better not to alienate a powerful and dedicated Terat like Tarik, since we would run the risk of him discovering our schemes. Tarik is quite canny and able; he is likely to discover the maneuverings of others against him. Of course, should the opportunity present itself to reveal some of Delorimier's rather...anti-Muslim...attitudes to Tarik, I would not hesitate to do so. It would be best to have Tarik out of the conflict with Delorimier altogether, rather than manipulate him into helping us and run the risk of him becoming aware of our manipulations. Were he to join in our struggle willingly, that would be even better, but such a situation is not likely."

The Count thinks for a moment, then turns to Flare. "Earlier, you mentioned Noor. I have met the woman only a few times, and she refuses to speak with me. Because I am a man, I assume, though I haven't heard of her talking to anyone else either. She stands out as the only Muslim affiliated with the Cult of Mal. If I remember correctly, Delorimier could never persuade her to fully embrace the cult's views, but Scripture allowed her to stay. The optimist in me thinks she could become a valuable ally, while the pessimist in me thinks she could possibly bridge the gap between the Cult of Mal and the Companions, presenting us with a problem."

Flare replied, "You assume such a thing would be bad? The merging of two ideologies? If it were possible to somehow incorporate the Cult of Mal into the Companion's belief structure, I would gladly volunteer myself."

"There's more to this than just faith," Orzaiz said. "You can't be blind to the danger that a combination of Delorimier and Tarik would bring. I make this observation based on the threat such a union would pose. Nothing else."

Flare responded, "Regardless, Noor isn't going to be much of a help to either Delorimier or Tarik. The woman is mentally detatched. She spends her days "contemplating Mal" in a way that is best described as compulsive, like it is something she cannot help but do. Talking to her is almost like talking to a wall; she rarely responds and her words are hard to understand. She would never get involved with Teragen politics. I cannot imagine her...bridging any gaps...as you say.

Roach makes sure to finnish chewing his food before speaking.

"Forgive me fer sayin' n' such. But if it were so easy te take over da Cult of Mal, don' you think someone'd do it already? Maybe Delorimer knows more n' we think?"

Roach keeps his position. Crouched, upside down from the ceiling. Direcetly above Envy.

"How many of the Cult are addicted to Delorimier's stuff?"

The Count sighed. "All of them. Even without his chemicals, his beauty and presence are enough to inspire adoration from cult members. As far as I know the only two that have remained seperate from his influence are Flare and Noor, and only because they had Scripture's blessing to be taken in by the cult, yet seperate from it. It is possible that there are more, but I'm not one to ask Jeremiah of such things."

"Forgive me fer sayin' n' such. But if it were so easy te take over da Cult of Mal, don' you think someone'd do it already? Maybe Delorimer knows more n' we think?"

Vi said, "Which makes me wonder...why hasn't the Mathematician been doing anything? Wouldn't he have been able to predict Caroline's death? And he should be able to detect the Apostle's treachery. If we really want to take Delorimier out, all that geezer has to do is spout some numbers out to help us."

The Count's response was short. "Pedro is occupied."

Bob says,

"Then the problem isn't religion, or even the cult. The problem is Delorimier has himself a cult of personality built around himself, not Mal."

"That's a problem, and maybe an opportunity, because the Cult's core believes are fairly solid. By any sane definitions of deityhood Divis is a God. I for one do want to be like him. Strong. Wise. Powerful. All that. My only problem with the idea of the Cult is I don’t think Divis became Divis by worshiping himself or anyone else. I think he went out and did things. But lots of people really need religion to form their backbone.”

“So… if the Cult isn’t going away, can we replace its head? Or even live with it?”

Listening carefully to the debate, Envy quickly moves his hand as a bit of drool escapes Roach's mouth and hisses smoking pits into the table.

"Please Roach...do show some table manners and take a chair. If you like we can get you some snacks..."

Bob says,

"Then the problem isn't religion, or even the cult. The problem is Delorimier has himself a cult of personality built around himself, not Mal."

"Agreed. Flare, the goal here is not to break apart the Cult. The point is to excise the corruption within our own ranks as Terats. If Mal wanted Caroline simply dead he could have destroyed her Chrysalis at any time. Instead he waited until the moment of greatest impact. I still believe that Mal did not condone Delormier as such, but merely his willingness to take decisive action."

"I also agree with the Count that a direct assault will likely backfire on us. The ironic part about that is that his Horesmen could attack us at any time, and many of those same Terats wouldn't bat an eyelid. It pains me to say it but the Cult's success shows us just how much of a popularity contest even the Teragen can be. Christ, sometimes I feel like we've never left the schoolyard or its "rules." While I too would like the luxury of dismantling and discrediting Marcel, I don't think he will give us much time before mounting a direct assault of his own. We are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place and I'm open to any suggestions anyone has."

Bob says,

"We could sue for peace, at least for now. Have Flare start up a local Cult of Mal church. The clinic would be a good spot for it. Preach to the baselines, and to the rest of us.”

“As for other people getting wind of us throwing them into war with the Cult, that’s not what I had in mind. Marcel is a fighting fish. Put into a tank with another fighting fish, he’ll provoke a war all by himself. He is his own worst enemy.”

Archived