My other hobby(again)

archer

Just for giggles, thought I'd share an updated pic with you all of my knife collection as it stands now. Not quite the volume it used to be when I was younger, but I like to think I've gone from quantity to quality. ::biggrin

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: For those of you who may not know, I've been collecting knives for nearly 15 years now. As many of my friends(and my wife) will tell you, I probably know entirely too much about such pointy things.

They are pretty.

What's with the Swiss Army knife? Is that a tribute to the massive commercial success of that brand, or are they legitimately good all-purpose tools?

Also, the little teardrop-shaped one third from the left on the bottom row looks dangerous and sexy. ::cool

They are pretty.

What's with the Swiss Army knife? Is that a tribute to the massive commercial success of that brand, or are they legitimately good all-purpose tools?

Also, the little teardrop-shaped one third from the left on the bottom row looks dangerous and sexy. ::cool

Thank you Alex and Phoenix for the pretty comment, I think they're pretty too. ::biggrin Oh, and Phoenix, if its the one I think you're talking about, that's a knife produced by Columbia River Knife and Tool, called the Bear Claw. http://crkt.com/bearclaw.html

As for the SAK(Swiss Army Knife), well, they are legitimately good all-purpose tools, but that's not why I have that one. That one is a memento from my trip to Kauai with Wish a couple of years ago. We went hiking with a guide on Princeville Ranch, and one of the places we stopped was a pool fed by a small waterfall. I waded into the pool from the shoreline to get a better angle on the picture I was taking of the waterfall, and after taking the picture, I started to make my way carefully back to shore(the rocks were very slippery). As I watched where I put my feet, I noticed something red and kind of shiny in the water below me...originally thinking it was a piece of glass from a beer bottle, I became a little irritated(I hate littering), and so I reached delicately into the water to pick it out so we could throw it away. Imagine my surprise when I instead removed a Swiss Army knife! It seemed to have been laying there for some time, because it was covered with crusty mineral deposits from the water. I showed it to the guide, and asked if she wanted it back, to try returning it to whoever the original owner was. She told me to go ahead and take it; judging by the appearance, that knife had been laying there for at least months before I found it, and she would have no idea how to even find who previously owned it. I did feel bad a litte, because I know how I would feel if I lost a knife on vacation, but eventually decided she was right. So, I took it home, cleaned it up a little, and now it sits safely in my collection box as a keepsake.

BTW, here are some pics of the waterfall where I found it, and what it looked like originally before I cleaned it up.

Oh, and if anyone else is wondering what all of those knives actually are...here's a list! ::happy

From top left moving down we have: Benchmade 705BST, CRKT D.O.G., a Seax made by Tinker of Tinker Knives, a fixed blade by my pal and knifemaker Atomic Zero, an all-TI knife by Neil Blackwood(I believe the model is called the Grifter), and a wood-handled carbon-steel knife made my a knifemaker from Hungary whose name I can't remember right now.

Along the bottom row we have: A little Kiridashi made by Dav Winch, a Clinch Pick made by Shivworks and Trace Rinaldi, a Bear Claw by CRKT, a tiny but amazingly functional necker called the Bitterroot(by Rob Simonich), a CC TI knife by Neil Blackwood, a small TI push dagger by my good friend John T. Wylie Jr, and another small necker made by Alan Folts.

From the right row moving up from the bottom: Strider WP Wharncliffe, a small hunter by Chandon Knives made with damascus, bone handle and mokume bolsters, another Strider WP(Spear Point), Simonich Urban Raven, Emerson PSARK, Strider SNG.

In the middle: A small SAK I found on vacation with sentimental value, and a friction-lock folder conceived by Pat Crawford.

Archived