BcAugust

How come every time someone talks about when they lived in Alaska, they make it sound like some survival tale, like they somehow managed to make it as long as they did without dying? I've noticed this.

*laughs* Well for me, it did nearly kill me. But nah, it's part of the area, when there's a lot of stories about people dying from... well, a lot of causes. Mostly moose.

I was just mulling over this and realized I was a bit confused...

I was thinking that we have 15 NPs to convert our knacks with, but I realized i may have been off since you said convert + 15. So if its the second it means whatever knacks we buy convert and then +15 for new stuff yes?

The second. Basically, what happens is that your knacks convert to the proper enhancements/megas/powers, then you have 15 points to buy the powers/megas and the like for your first eruption. Note, as I said before, some knacks will translate into enhancements without the corresponding mega stat. In that case, if you buy the stat, you get that enhancement, plus your free one for having the stat.

However, given that it is likely to be an arc or two before that comes up, I would like to focus on the Adventure! character generation more at this point. Anyone have ideas for other Allegiances?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The loss of India is going to be harsh. Complicated supply chains and production lines just had one of their core components get nuked.

So basically, things are pretty bad on Earth right now. The world ran out of oil recently and the economy fell like a rock. India and/or Pakistan played the “blame someone else to unify us” card, one of Pakistan’s terror groups got out of hand, then a “quick, decisive, and limited” war (India invaded Pakistan to deal with some of the cross border terror camps) escalated and went nuclear.

The Mars plans had been in the works for decades, long before the crash, and continued largely on momentum and national pride. Competition played a big part, while a great many people in the US and the rest of the world think the Mars trip is a boondoggle that is diverting needed money away from “critical” needs, the US didn’t like the idea that in a hundred or two hundred years Mars could be an outpost of China. Comparisons to the OLD British colonies of North America were heavily made… i.e. Mars is a planet and the USA would far rather it became an America colony (State?) and not a Chinese one. And various groups sent their best and brightest.

Enter Jack Stone. On paper Jack is a geologist. However it’s public knowledge he’s ex (or maybe even current) military and his mission is to make Mars an American colony and not a Chinese one. The Americans chose well. Jack isn’t just mentally and physically tough, he also has a Charisma that can fill a room. He’s not here so much to “make” people Americans as to make them want to be that.

One correction: During some of the troubles, people who had been working on non-governmental rockets did keep sending flights up. That's the reason that the Minerva foundation has such a pivotal role in this, due to the fact the initial terraforming robots and dome plans were Minerva's, however, as it became apparent that it was succeeding, the national pride issues came up, and the foundation was mostly glad for the help.

*Nods* Jack Stone sounds perfect as the sort they'd send.

Is "Drive" going to be useful here? Do we have those electric cars that the moon types have or something similar?

Do the various nationalities have seperate domes? Are we split evenly or does one nationality dominate?

There are electric cars for outside, though inside there's various sidewalks and monorails(One of the goals is to build a rail system between the domes, which would make it an hour trip. Currently, though, it's 8 hours by car/truck). Drive is... as useful as you choose to make it(ie, some people will be using it a lot, if you have a job that takes you outside the dome, or simply like going out there).

Well, there is communication between the domes, and a bit of travel. The domes are basically split up evenly between nationalities, though there are more Americans and Chinese then other nationalities. Remember, your group has basically been together for three years at this point. (One year in seclusion on the ground, in preparation and to avoid diseases, two year flight, though that was less crowding because most of the people were in hibernation at any one time)

You may hafta update the knacks for the setting. I cant find my Adventure book right now, so Im not gonna venture any rules mechanics, but here are a few ideas.

Walk, Do Not Run, To That Exit:

A kind of low-watt mega-charisma, this knack enables a character to calm crowds siezed by fear or panic. This cannot be used to agitate, beguile, or charm...only to calm emotions and direct behavior in moments of emergency.

Green Thumb:

Plants tended to by this character seem to thrive beyond all reason. This doesnt effect the genetic structure of the affected flora, just its health and robustness. Trees bear more fruit, vegetables grow quicker and healthier, medicinal plants work better. This power requires upkeep...perhaps monthly...otherwise the affected plant begins to lose its unnatural vigor.

You may hafta update the knacks for the setting. I cant find my Adventure book right now, so Im not gonna venture any rules mechanics, but here are a few ideas.
Rather than try to rebuild A! for Mars, it might make more sense to introduce Knacks that you want (make that convert Abby things into A! so they can be converted back).

And speaking of conversions...

Are we building and submitting A! characters or Abby Characters? It makes a bit of sense that if we're going to be using the A! characters unerupted, then those should be the ones to be sumitted and we'll worry about becoming novas latter?

I'm bringing that up because skills and attributes can change dramatically with nova points.

Rather than try to rebuild A! for Mars, it might make more sense to introduce Knacks that you want (make that convert Abby things into A! so they can be converted back).

And speaking of conversions...

Are we building and submitting A! characters or Abby Characters? It makes a bit of sense that if we're going to be using the A! characters unerupted, then those should be the ones to be sumitted and we'll worry about becoming novas latter?

I'm bringing that up because skills and attributes can change dramatically with nova points.

Building Adventure characters. Obviously some skills will be changed(While some very... interesting people might have archery, I doubt anyone will have, say, ride.) And of course adding computers. I'm tempted to divide Science skills, as well, both to let character's have better defined roles... and to show the degree of specialization that modern science requires. What can I say, it bothers me that, say, a physicist and genetic engineer have near equal chances in each others specialties by the rules. Though I suppose the better way to do it would be Difficulties for the further "away" something is from your specialty.

*shakes head* I tend to meander on the skill system, sometime.

For clarification

Government on Mars is, at the moment, running according to the Foundation's original plans(ie, the semi company land grants and job classifications.) Leaders for the various groups have already been chosen(IE, current rankings in Backing), plus several appointed for certain tasks(running the nuclear plant, for instance). However, a year after the second ship lands, there is set to be Constitutional Convention of sorts, where the next form of government for the future is hashed out. Obviously there is a lot of interest in how this turns out.

So, why is it set up this way? Politics. While the Minerva Foundation had started this on their own, building and sending one colony ship, let alone two cost a fair bit more then they could cover, plus, they lacked as many people as they would need. Entering a deal with the governments meant that costs could be covered, and more suitable people could be attracted to the banner. What did the governments get? One, prestige at a low cost. While most governments couldn't afford a full space program, this allowed the fruits of such pursuits to flow to the countries sponsoring them. Two, in a neat display of politicking, the Foundation managed to get both the USA and China bidding against one another for the chance to go, while they set up in a Brazil(which had actually been the leader in ethenal and other developments, so was less hard hit) grateful to have them.

Noteworthy A! SKILL differences.

Drive and Pilot are WITS (not Dex).

Animal Handling is MANIPULATION (not Chr)

Streetwise has been renamed "Savvy"

Rapport is CHARISMA (not Wits)

There is no Diplomacy skill (merged into Etiquette?)

Dex is less strong, and Wits and Chr are stronger. I think these are improvements.

I would suggest bringing back Biz, Demolitions, Computer, & Tradecraft.

I'm not sure about Throwing, and most of the other skills are pretty meaningless (Artilliary, Heavy Weapons, Thought Shield, etc).

RE: Geology

I suggest that dispite the "ology" ending, Geology should be put under "Engineering" and not "Science". Mostly it's going to be used in conjuction with building things, and/or digging for things... and those are engineering type considerations.

Building Adventure characters. Obviously some skills will be changed(While some very... interesting people might have archery, I doubt anyone will have, say, ride.) And of course adding computers. ...
Personally I'm in favor of those changes (well... except for renaming Streetwise). Mostly these were things that got ironed out as time went on... i.e. if we'd had a 2nd edition then IMHO we'd have seen these changes.

Dex is already so useful it doesn't need Drive & Pilot (which make more sense in Wits anyway).

Animal Handling is much more about manip than about char.

Charisma and Rapport are better served being linked to each other.

ST has already brought back Computers;

I think Biz, Demolitions, & Tradecraft all fit in there too as "modern" skills. Throwing deserves it's own skill because otherwise Bodybuilders are also expert dart throwers. Diplomacy & Etiquette on the other hand far too much overlap so IMHO Dip should stay dead.

Geology is more of a personal issue, but I'd rather see it under Engineering.

Let's see... the other skills are (Alex gets out his Aberrant Directory)

Archery : Odd but possible.

Gunnery : I hope not.

Heavy Weapons : Ditto.

Artillery : Ditto.

Analysis : Should be merged into Tradecraft.

Gambling: Maybe

Occult: Does this actually do anything?

Shadowing: Merge into Stealth

Weave: Meaningless without eufiber.

Thought Discipline : Please no.

Seduction: Should be an action, not a skill.

Carousing: Same comment.

Instruction: Maybe

I don't remember if Meditation is an A! skill.

Analysis is an Investigation specialty that was branched off for the Directive.
Exactly. Tradecraft is also an investigation specality which was branched off for the Directive. I think the difference is that Analysis is specifically for evaluating data about novas, while TC is for running background checks, planting/finding bugs, taking photos, and doing the various spy type stuff.

So TC is actually doing the various spy type stuff, while Analysis is thinking about it as it pertains to novas.

(Although my books aren't here and this is from memory).

Personally I'm in favor of those changes (well... except for renaming Streetwise). Mostly these were things that got ironed out as time went on... i.e. if we'd had a 2nd edition then IMHO we'd have seen these changes.

Dex is already so useful it doesn't need Drive & Pilot (which make more sense in Wits anyway).

Animal Handling is much more about manip than about char.

Charisma and Rapport are better served being linked to each other.

ST has already brought back Computers;

I think Biz, Demolitions, & Tradecraft all fit in there too as "modern" skills. Throwing deserves it's own skill because otherwise Bodybuilders are also expert dart throwers. Diplomacy & Etiquette on the other hand far too much overlap so IMHO Dip should stay dead.

Geology is more of a personal issue, but I'd rather see it under Engineering.

Let's see... the other skills are (Alex gets out his Aberrant Directory)

Archery : Odd but possible.

Gunnery : I hope not.

Heavy Weapons : Ditto.

Artillery : Ditto.

Analysis : Should be merged into Tradecraft.

Gambling: Maybe

Occult: Does this actually do anything?

Shadowing: Merge into Stealth

Weave: Meaningless without eufiber.

Thought Discipline : Please no.

Seduction: Should be an action, not a skill.

Carousing: Same comment.

Instruction: Maybe

I don't remember if Meditation is an A! skill.

Heh, I like the Savvy name too. On the above... I personally have no problem having Geology being under both engineering and science, as would be a few other specialties(Genetics, for example, could be either Medicine or Science.).

On the other skills... I think Diplomacy and Etiquette hardly overlap that much. One deals with mores inside a society, the other deals with dealing with other societies. While Diplomats usually have Etiquette, it's not common the other way around. Analysis, I'm not seeing in either my Adventure or Aberrant books(edit: Ah. Then nah, it's just tradecraft). Meditation... I'm tempted to throw it in anyway, given the history, plus how useful it can be. But yeah, most of those likely won't be on the list. Good spots

Analysis isn't about novas, it's an Ability for scanning through reams of data and information to look for patterns or relevant information. It can be used in relation to novas, but it's used a lot in the real world as well, and it has many uses. I've added it into my Trinity campaign, since it fits in perfectly with a high-tech society where information is a resource.

I'm more or less in agreement with the skill changes Alex (and the rest of you) have been talking about, but not Charisma+Rapport. Rapport most definitely goes with Wits as its base Att, though I could see it being paired with both Perception and Charisma (as well as Manipulation) on occasion. Rapport indicates how well you can understand and read the emotions of those around you, Charisma is your personal likeability-rating and has nothing at all to do with how well you understand those around you (some of the most charismatic people I've ever met in real life were complete jerks at times precisely because they never had any concept of what anyone other than themselves was feeling). Rapport requires the ability to not only "watch' and "hear" what the people around you are saying or doing, it requires you to "see" and "listen" to them as well. This requires a person to analyze what a person is saying (or doing) while they're saying it (or doing it) and coming to an accurate conclusion about what that means without losing track of the conversation or social interaction. If that doesn't require a high Wits rating, then I don't know what does. So anyway, IMHO, Rapports is by far and away, the most obviously Wits-based skill under its heading (in the Aberrant books at least, I still haven't gotten my copy of A!).

But OTOH, I totally agree that Pilot and Drive are better suited to Wits than to Dex, as well as the idea that Animal Handling is better suited to Manip than Char.

Okay... writing up the character creation document tonight, will post it tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to add anything, today is the time. And I'll likely post it in the Aberrant IC forum, unless the admins wish it posted elsewhere.

Also, for anyone that doesn't have the books, go ahead and post your character ideas. I'll make your character, and explain the(few) differences it has from Aberrant.

Also, I'm currently using just the two main books, and the merits and flaws from the Players Guide. Anything from another book will have to be approved on an individual basis or asked about here. Given Blue Thunder's explanation of the Analysis skill, for instance, I will put that on the skill list.

One thing that Im wondering about is going back to that whole dual statted idea.

Bc has said we could be daredevils, mesmerists, and stalwarts. We will start with Inspiration. ONe of the coolest things about Inspiration is the ability to double dice pools and use dramatic editing. If we switch as novas to quantum do we lose those two nifty abilities?

::scratches head::

and the whole skill thing has me confused. It was my understanding that we are using aberrant skills anyway, so why bother with the A! ones? Some Trinity one may be applicable...If there are any I want I can always submit them to ST.

Oh, and having geologist friends, it is most definitely science and not engineering. I get you want to use it for landscaping and such Alex, but thats not really what geologists use it for. Thats more, engineering, landscaping, perhaps seismic engineering, but most certainly not how geologists use it...its an "ology"..."the stufy of."

My geo-friends take core smaples, look for rocks, perform various scans and analyses, but they arent even remotely building or constructing anything...

One thing that Im wondering about is going back to that whole dual statted idea.

Bc has said we could be daredevils, mesmerists, and stalwarts. We will start with Inspiration. ONe of the coolest things about Inspiration is the ability to double dice pools and use dramatic editing. If we switch as novas to quantum do we lose those two nifty abilities?

::scratches head::

and the whole skill thing has me confused. It was my understanding that we are using aberrant skills anyway, so why bother with the A! ones? Some Trinity one may be applicable...If there are any I want I can always submit them to ST.

Oh, and having geologist friends, it is most definitely science and not engineering. I get you want to use it for landscaping and such Alex, but thats not really what geologists use it for. Thats more, engineering, landscaping, perhaps seismic engineering, but most certainly not how geologists use it...its an "ology"..."the stufy of."

My geo-friends take core smaples, look for rocks, perform various scans and analyses, but they arent even remotely building or constructing anything...

As for the conversion... that's still being discussed, but it's not a concern of mine at the moment. On the skill thing, it's simply that some skills that are appropriate for the game will be in both books. I see no reason not to use both lists as a starting point for my list, and that will in fact be part of the character creation document. As to geology in engineering... I have no difficulty in putting it in both skills. After all, it's as much a function of engineering to know what ground you're working through or over as it is science to know exactly why that ground is there.

Probably. Such is the price of godhood. To put that into perspective, it's pretty trivial to double your base dice pool on most skills with a couple of nova points. For example if and when Jack erupts I'll probably max out his command dice and he'll get a mega or two.
Different world, different jobs. Jack would be planning on where/how to build things such that they don't get hit by earth quakes. Looking for water, or figuring out how to get the water to us. If it helps I could call him a geological-engineer (similar to a chemical engineer).

Probably. Such is the price of godhood. To put that into perspective, it's pretty trivial to double your base dice pool on most skills with a couple of nova points. For example if and when Jack erupts I'll probably max out his command dice and he'll get a mega or two.

max command=scary...

...looks like somebodys gunning for the leadership role...

Different world, different jobs. Jack would be planning on where/how to build things such that they don't get hit by earth quakes. Looking for water, or figuring out how to get the water to us. If it helps I could call him a geological-engineer (similar to a chemical engineer).

natch. Though I think Mars is signifigantly less tectonically active than Earth...

Heads up, fellas!! There's a truly amazing gaming/comic/music/video store about 20 minutes away from where I live, so I went and checked it out and... Procurred myself a brand spankin' new copy of Adventure! Woohoo!! (well okay, it's not new, but it is in mint condition)

I'm back in the game!

::unsure Cottus, that's not just a gaming store.

Based on what you've told us about where you live, I'm pretty sure you just bought a gaming book from Santa's workshop. ::xmas ::sly

Well, I used to live in Alaska, now I live in the Central Coast area of California. So unless Santa moved south and no one told me, I think it was just a really good gaming store (called Captain Nemo's, in case anyone's interested). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry Cottus - I forgot you moved. ::wink

I have a character concept, and welcome any feedback.

Huoku "Hawk" Arashikage , journalist

An established news writer before the Mars colony formed, Hawk Arashikage is a well-dressed and handsome Japanese (Nihonjin?) man. His role in the colony is the editor-in-chief of a modest tri-weekly newspaper. He also writes an associated press column known as The Arashikage Letters that are now very popular on home Earth as well.

I may want to do Arashikage as a daredevil (sorry I sort of dropped out of our AIM conversation about this, BcAugust), though he could also be a pre-nova. I am not sure what kind of ground his powers may cover, but I do have a general concept of his personality and background.

Sorry Cottus - I forgot you moved. ::wink

I have a character concept, and welcome any feedback.

Huoku "Hawk" Arashikage , journalist

An established news writer before the Mars colony formed, Hawk Arashikage is a well-dressed and handsome Japanese (Nihonjin?) man. His role in the colony is the editor-in-chief of a modest tri-weekly newspaper. He also writes an associated press column known as The Arashikage Letters that are now very popular on home Earth as well.

I may want to do Arashikage as a daredevil (sorry I sort of dropped out of our AIM conversation about this, BcAugust), though he could also be a pre-nova. I am not sure what kind of ground his powers may cover, but I do have a general concept of his personality and background.

Likely not editor in chief, yet(given the low population), but certainly in charge of such. Cool idea. And daredevil is fine. Just make a character that's fun to you now.

Likely not editor in chief, yet(given the low population), but certainly in charge of such.

Please clarify? I just use "editor in chief" even to mean "in charge of a paper," even if the staff is two other writers and some interns. Anyway, cool. I may also go the mesmerist/psiad route; I need to look over the Adventure! core and Aberrant psiad rules.

More

Huoku Arashikage is likely a Zen Buddhist and a practitioner of T'ai Chi, from Japan but having spent considerable amounts of time in several Chinese cities and in the United States. He is well-known around the colony, and is ubiquitous at colonial events and gatherings, even those which typical civilians would not be allowed to meet. His discretion is trusted, though some find his quiet personality and uncompromising curiosity unnerving or unfortunate.

Please clarify? I just use "editor in chief" even to mean "in charge of a paper," even if the staff is two other writers and some interns. Anyway, cool. I may also go the mesmerist/psiad route; I need to look over the Adventure! core and Aberrant psiad rules.

More

Huoku Arashikage is likely a Zen Buddhist and a practitioner of T'ai Chi, from Japan but having spent considerable amounts of time in several Chinese cities and in the United States. He is well-known around the colony, and is ubiquitous at colonial events and gatherings, even those which typical civilians would not be allowed to meet. His discretion is trusted, though some find his quiet personality and uncompromising curiosity unnerving or unfortunate.

Think more you and maybe one other person full time. Imagine a small Western town paper, for the moment. Though editor in chief is likely your title, you'll be running around a lot to find things out. Seems like you want that, though. Good idea.

Questions/Issues about Character Creation:

1) Rather than an Engineering of 1 with a speciality of Repair, could I simply have an Engineering of 3+ ?

2) Tradecraft is Int.

3) Rapport is listed under both Charisma and Wits.

4) Is our starting Inspiration really zero? So if we don't buy any then we're a baseline?

Character creation rules posted.

Character creation

Have fun.

Thanks BC!

There is one thing I was hoping you would include that is somewhat important. I know we are dealing with A! right now but as you know the Nova-end of my idea requires a Q4 rating. You mentioned before that 1 Quantum could be bought with the starting bonus points,which would give a rating of 2, necessitating NPs later. You also said you thought you might just convert from Inspiration. What did you decide?

. Anyway, cool. I may also go the mesmerist/psiad route; I need to look over the Adventure! core and Aberrant psiad rules.

Some clarifications on this are also needed. It was my understanding that no matter which starting A! type one picks, we all end up as Novas. I guess since Bc has the APG psiads would work, but I wasnt aware this was an option...

'twould be cool though to have a mix of Novas, Psiads and Superiors perhaps...

Questions/Issues about Character

4) Is our starting Inspiration really zero? So if we don't buy any then we're a baseline?

its always that way in A! If you read carefully, everyone starts at Zero, but when you get to the transformation point phase, it gives you one freebie.

Correct Bc?

Questions/Issues about Character Creation:

1) Rather than an Engineering of 1 with a speciality of Repair, could I simply have an Engineering of 3+ ?

2) Tradecraft is Int.

3) Rapport is listed under both Charisma and Wits.

1) Sure.

2) Thanks

3) Ah, it's Wits

4) Yes, it's zero. However, if you don't buy any Inspiration, it's not that you can't buy or use knacks, but that they're less effective. However, given that Inspiration is One dot for one Transformation point...

Think more you and maybe one other person full time. Imagine a small Western town paper, for the moment. Though editor in chief is likely your title, you'll be running around a lot to find things out. Seems like you want that, though. Good idea.

Okay, cool - maybe I'll take a Follower or Ally for this.

4) Yes, [inspiration]'s zero. However, if you don't buy any Inspiration, it's not that you can't buy or use knacks, but that they're less effective. However, given that Inspiration is One dot for one Transformation point...
The chart is wrong, it explains on page 119 and 120 that Inspiration for A! types ranges from 1 to 10. Oddly in the explaination they claim that you start out with an Inspiration of zero, basically in the same way that pre-novas have a starting quantum of zero. The first point of Inspiration is free (even though both the chart and the explaination claim that you start with zero).

The chart is wrong, it explains on page 119 and 120 that Inspiration for A! types ranges from 1 to 10. Oddly in the explaination they claim that you start out with an Inspiration of zero, basically in the same way that pre-novas have a starting quantum of zero. The first point of Inspiration is free (even though both the chart and the explaination claim that you start with zero).

Ah, I had missed that. So, yes, you have an Inspiration of one(minimum) to four(maximum). Thanks for pointing it out.

Heres another little interesting snag I found in terms of Nova conversion. We are all required to have Endurance of 2. Novas all automatically get Endurance of 3 (higher with Mega Stamina). So when we become Novas does it just get a little boost to 3, or do we get proportionately hardier and boost up to 5?

I'd also like to publicly ask that you consider opening up the knacks fully. For on e reason, it has often been noted here on these forums that nearly every Adventure NPC "breaks the rules" one way or another. Often they say things like "has dynamic versions of psychic knacks" or vice versa. I have longed to play in a game that simply made Inspired Inspired, without the artificial distinctions. It allows for a much greater diversity of character/ability types. Which is actually my second reason for asking. As our Knacks directly convert and I have now 2 concepts I am keen for, I have had trouble deciding which type to make. Ideally they actually count as Stalwarts, but what if I want a power that is mental in nature. This would normally be the purvey of Mesmerists. Then say I wanted trick shot, which eventually becomes Mega Dex and/or Accuracy.

I realize you said one out-of-category, but looking at my notes I see the Knacks desired spread across the board. Will you consider this?

One question: in the Char gen thread it says "usual bonus points +13 transformation points +40 Bonus points". I had been assuming that we started out with the normal 13 points, but the language is a little ambiguous, so now I'm not so sure. Do we get 13 transformation points total, or 13 *extra* transformation points for a total of 26 (which is a lot!)? I'm currently operating under the assumption that it's 13 total, but I figured I'd ask just to clarify.

Archived