[OpNet] Things To Do In Rashoud When You're Dead

Vixen

Sorry about the title of this post. They have a few good indie movies here on the room's chipset and I've been watching them in my spare time.

I first came onto this board in, well, "*slinks onto the board*" down below. I wasn't sure then that I was a nova - now I'm very sure. It'd be impossible not to come to that conclusion, actually - and I've gone over my own test results, so I'm in a position to draw a conclusion.

The meeting at the Computer Science building went... well, let's just say it went. Miss Fortune showed up for a bit of dinner first, and I appreciate the help - thanks, M.F.! The guy who slipped me the note turned out to be this dweeb student who spent too much time reading Teras philosophy - but he did have insights into the node that I hadn't thought about. I managed to switch it back on....

... I almost wish I hadn't. Imagine a week's worth of quantum-channelling headaches hitting you all at once. It was unbelievably painful. I'm okay now - I'm on a rotating prescription to help with the headaches. The illness is passing too - for a while there, my stomach was just about inverted as I was puking up a lifetime's worth of poisons.

Miss Fortune dropped me off at the Seattle Rashoud facility, and even inside, I could still hear the groupies clamouring for a view. Miss Fortune stayed for a while as they set me up, and I really appreciate it M.F. If things ever get too thick - give me a call.

Dr. Henry Locke is the chief paraphysician at Rashoud, and one of the best in the country if not the world. So I was in good hands. It took a while to catalogue exactly what had happened, since my memories of the fire are still a bit hazy, but we managed to reconstruct it.

My family is alternating between elation and outright panic. They still love me... but I can tell things are going to be strained. I'm usually dormed down when they visit. I don't quite know how to tell them just yet.

Hell - *I* can't even believe it, and I can look in the mirror and flip on the node and get treated to the freakiest three seconds of my life anytime I want.

What do I look like, you wonder?

The official description, according to Dr. Locke - and confirmed by me - is "subject is covered in a thick coating of fur that varies in colour roughly proportionate to the fur colourings of a red fox. Subject has a pair of tails that resembles said animal, though increased in proportion to the subject's size. Subject has short claws on hands and feet and sharp teeth in the mouth. Subject's ears are pointed and positioned atop the head and subject's nose and jaw have fused into some kind of foxlike muzzle. Subject still has white hair growing atop the head, and green-coloured eyes."

The unofficial description? I look like the love child of a Disney character. frown I mean, I'm not hideous... actually, for a woman with fur and tails I think I'm kinda cute... but I notice people really start acting weird when I'm in this form. If it wasn't for dormancy I think I'd go batty in no time. People stared at me when I was in the wheelchair and they're still staring now.

As for powers? Well, it took a while to find out what I could do - I picked up a real smattering of them and we had trouble determining a psychological thread for them all. The key came when I told the doctor I'd been researching an animal that I thought was responsible for the myths of Japanese 'kitsunes' - or 'goblin foxes,' if you will. One web search later and he knew where to start.

I have telepathy, it seems - in general terms. Specifically, I have the telepathic ability to alter people's perceptions within an area, plunging them into illusions that are nearly indistinguishable from reality. I can read minds, and my voice seems hypnotic. I have hyper-perception, as well - a nose like, well, like a fox's. I can levitate in the air, fire this weird ribbon-like blast of fire and lightning, and project this weird mist that - this is hard to believe - renders anything hostile coming my way as partially or completely illusionary, making it harmless.

I practised a bit today. I fooled Dr. Locke into thinking he was listening to Bach when it was really a Britney Spears oldie. So Utopia's already having me use these powers for the good of mankind. wink

And now I'm lying on this bed and typing on a message board. I just... I don't know why I rambled on so much. I just needed to talk about it, I guess. Right now the good doctor's told me not to dorm down, since my body can't get used to quantum if it's not actively channelling it. And I have to lie flat on my stomach, since these stupid tails make it impossible to lie on my back without them falling asleep on me.

Oh, and I'm told that the student whom M.F. and I met had a hidden camera on his person. Right now, pictures of me are lighting up OpNet boards. The press has put two and two together and I'm going to have to deal with them once I get out of here.

God.

Was it this rough on you guys?

The physical charactersistics described are the same as an asian myth referred to as Hu Ching, or fox spirit. The multiple tails is said to represent age, with which comes increased spiritual power, and to distinguish the fox spirit from the more mundane fox. If memory serves correctly there was also a nova who referred to themselves by the name Hu Ching around the time I arrived here by chance.

In reference to the latter, I've done a search here for the name Hu Ching and found nothing. Assuming memory is not failing me, that worthy apparently chose another name with which to refer to themselves. Therefore there might be someone here with more insight into such things.

In answer to your question, no. Or at least my recollections of the events surrounding eruption seem more joyous than those circumstance you're describing. If anything eruption truly brought people together as old arguments were forgotten, wine flowed freely, and it seemed in those first giddy hours as if anything were possible.

Truly a marvelous time.

Well Vixen,from what I hear.You seem to be doing rather well, and trust me when i say I am looking into wha tyou are dooing,,it helps having a friend in the system..In this case my aount who finds your case to be, interesting.At least that is what she told me.

Now let's see, you have many optoin in front of you,and I would like for you to think them all threw, and remeber that if no one else suports you in what you wish to do, I will do my best to.ANd I will hope you chosse wisely even you do not I will help you in anyway I could.

As for you helping me, you gave me soemthign that day tthat I thought I losstt, that is hope.When i saw your eye I saw that there is something better that this, that is worth living for.So, do not think you owe me anythign and ps, the check is in the mail for the dinner.

Life As a Nova, Day 9

I hate these tails. Hatethemhatethemhatethem.

Today I got them caught in the door as it shut behind me. It didn't hurt - that quantum-powered metabolism is doing that pain-dispersion thing better every day - but oh God, it was annoying.

Almost all my body fat's gone. I had quite a bit of it - sitting in a wheelchair will do that - and now it's just about all gone. I'm not puking my guts up any more, since all the poisons stored in that fat are gone now. And it's nice. Every day, in baseline form or nova form, I can see myself getting a little more... er... curvy.

blush

At least they got some new chairs in! They have open backs to them so I don't wind up squishing these big floofy things when I sit down. I went through the standard ESP tests today and it took every oucne of willpower not to quote Bill Murray from that scene in Ghostbusters.

I got them all almost right. He says my telepathy's very focused. Dr. Locke took me out to the 'firing range' where I tested out my... oh, I'm so embarassed, but yes, I actually call it my 'kitsune blast.' I went flying around a little bit before I got tired, and went to rest a bit.

The staff gave me a Caestus Pax action figure! I drew hair on him with magic marker. He now stands vigilant over my bed. They all thought it was funny as hell. I like the people here - they're real nice. They've gotten used to my nova form and I don't feel the need to dorm down as much as I used to.

Oh, and my family found the OpNet pictures of me. Mom phoned me up and told me so. She told me that even if I had two heads and purple feathers she would never, ever think I was anything other than perfect. I cried. I asked them to visit me tomorrow. I'm really nervous, but it's something I have to do.

As for what to do after I get out... I don't know. I'm tempted to just dorm down and go back into the scientific community and forget I even have superpowers. The only superpower I ever wanted was the ability to walk and talk - everything else is just a nice extra. Not very transhumanist of me, I know...

Hey Vixen, I'm glad to hear your okay and despite what everyone else says, Utopia is the best place to get a handle on your powers. Sorry I couldn't be there to help you out but it sounds like Miss Fortune had things well in hand. The only advice I have for you about your tails right now is to try not to look at them as separate from you. Think of them like another appendage and that might help you.

Since I couldn't help you before you got to the clinic, I'm sending an associate of mine to visit you in the next couple of days. My company makes products designed specifically for Novas and I am going to make sure you have a complete wardrobe designed specifically for you before you leave the clinic. Consider it a "welcome to the Nova community" gift. smile

Don't be afraid of your Nova self Vixen. You have been blessed with a gift and it would be a shame for you to hide yourself away from the world becouse of it.

Green Eyes ... Damn, and I missed it.

DR, Hu Ching was a group of novas and baselines who operated out of the HK a few years back. Prankster-thieves with a political bent. They made enemies of both the PRC and the HTT, so they either dispersed or ended up dead. They had a certain class about them. I hope they made it out alive.

Little Sister Vixen, perhaps it would be better for you to see yourself as one of those fabled spirit folk than a mere mortal. Explore the spiritual and sensual sides of your nature. Revel in the being you have awakened to become. You are not a baseline who has evolved or been 'fixed'. As a baseline, you were who you needed to be. Now, you are something else.

Treasure the flesh you have woven about yourself,

Ride the Spirit to heights undreamed of,

Let Emerald Eyes catch the fire of a New Dawn.

Welcome, little one. Know that were ever you go and whatever you do, there will be those who understand you.

From what I understand about Bastian and his "crowd", they don't go it alone. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Besides, who says that Endeavor is without direction? Everytime I see you you're going in 100 different directions at once. What's the problem?

Even with my node humming away all nicely like a contented mouser, I still have an Attention Deficit. Not bad enough to be called ADD/ADHD/Whatever alphabet soup this week, but it's close. I try to focus by just dissapearing, but find it hard to do so. The reality of it all is, I actually do more than I'm capable of. But I'm so far in, I can't really pull out either.

I've been that way since I "woke up".

Today, my family and friends visited. It took every ounce of willpower I had to transform in front of them, but I'm glad I did it. My only regret is that the guys from work have now ressurected my old nickname from when I was working with the twin-tailed fox - I'm now unofficially known as Foxy Roxy.

:rolleyes:

They're great guys, they are... but you could not pick a bigger bunch of geeks. And I cheerfully include myself in that lot. We talked for a while, about movies and games. They inquired as to why Lil' Pax has suddenly acquired a Rogaine treatment. They asked me what it was like being orange and fuzzy.

They're gone now - I think they'll be visiting one more time before I get out in a few days. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the media.

I logged onto N!'s website today and did a little ego gratification by searching for stories about myself. Most of it's just "we don't have the facts but need to sell eyeballs, so here's some speculation." Gack.

Dr. Locke tested out my perception abilities today. He gave me a hundred open bottles of water and told me he'd added sugar to one of them, and could I tell by smell alone which one it was? I told him he'd stuck about a teaspoon in one and accidentally gotten a few crystals in another. He was impressed.

The world seems so much more vivid in this form. Details are sharper. It's a heady feeling. I dormed down and powered up a few times just to see how different things were.

Oh, I see my unofficial weblog's got readers!

Jordan: Thank you SO much. I can't tell you what a relief it is to have friends out there, even ones you barely know. I told the Rashoud people to expect a call regarding this.

Jager: It's no trouble, I know you would have shown up if you could. As for the eyes... the doctor says they light up like little bulbs when I use my powers, too. But the light never blocks my vision...

Bastian: Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'm quite ready to stop being Roxanne Richardson just yet. Even if, by Teras philosophy, I'm no longer human, that doesn't automatically mean I've literally turned into a kitsune. Or that being a 'kistune' and being human are mutually exclusive contradictions. I channel quantum, after all - and quantum physics is all about superimposed states, being one thing and another simultaneously.

I'll write more soon! I'm going to test aerobatics now.

Roxanne, I was almost known as star shine,so I am betting that Foxxy Roxxie is sound a bit better now?I mean Start shine, gah...Maybe just use your own name?

And from what I gather, you are looking into joing up with T2M,no?Or just checking up on them?I wiole not on the pay role of utopia have a few friends in the systemm,I was woundering if you would want some training from me?I am sure I could pull some string to do that.

Nope, Sandy, I doubt I'm going to join T2M anytime soon. Being a media star just isn't in my blood. And can you imagine me in one of those tight eufiber outfits? I'd have hat hair over my whole body. :P

I'm still making up my mind. I'll let everyone know what my choice is when I make it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vixen:

Jordan: Thank you SO much. I can't tell you what a relief it is to have friends out there, even ones you barely know. I told the Rashoud people to expect a call regarding this.
No problems Vixen, or would you prefer your birth name? Dorian should be there the day after tomorrow. He is a genius when it comes to fashion design and he'll have some stuff that's comfortable even with all your fur. Just don't stare at his third eye, he's kind of touchy about that.

If your looking for work, even a temp job until you figure out what you want to do, Solar Solutions is always looking for Nova scientific talent to add to our ranks. For the most part we do research into the Nova condition and create products for Novas who have developed past the standard human physiology. To be honest, your work with the Fox-creature intrests me greatly due to my own experiences in that area.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck. Call me if you need a friend.

It looks like tomorrow's going to be a busy day for me! Not only is Jordan's friend Dorian coming over to get me measured up, but Dr. Locke tells me that "a high-ranking individual in Project Utopia" wants to meet me tomorrow. He refuses to tell me, the little imp. smile I could read his mind, or use that hypnotic voice to get him to tell me... but no. That'd be cheating.

I feel better today than I have in ages. Today we were testing endurance, to give me a rough idea how much quantum the node is channeling and how well it's channeling it. He's giving me a primer on how to avoid quantum backlash disorder, which I'm taking to heart - I know full well exactly how nasty 'taint' can be. He says that since one of the things I picked up upon eruption was a high amount of skill in dormancy, I should be okay if I don't force my node to channel more than it's capable of doing safely.

A guy managed to barge into the facility, armed with a digital camera, intent on getting a picture of me. They caught him before he caught me, but it was a jarring experience. The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm not looking forward to a lifetime of that.

I talked with Dr. Locke a bit about his past cases. It turns out that once they're out the door, they often forget about the staff at the Rashoud clinics. He only hears back regularly from a few novas he's watched over. It makes me a bit sad - he's been so kind to me, never batting an eyelash at how weird I look, not scared for a second of the things I can do. He genuinely wants to help every nova who comes into his care and I can't thank him enough for the help he's given me.

I hope I don't drift away like the others did. I hope in the years to come, I remember how it all started.

Lil' Pax's makeshift hairdo is rubbing off, so now he just looked bruised in the head. Oh well.

I found the most hilarious site on the OpNet today. "The Nova Site." "By self-made novas, for self-made novas." Apparently out of all the nova powers that the author gained, good spelling isn't one of them. He rattles on about how to become a nova, giving such charming advice as standing out in a lightning storm or setting yourself on fire. At least he's probably not mating.

I tried to see if I could dorm down just partway today. Have the node only channeling a little quantum. Nothing. I guess it's a binary system.

Hey, here's a joke for you - there's 10 people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Get it?

Ehehehe... well, *I* thought it was funny... smile

Jordan: Thanks for the job offer, but one thing I should let you know: out of all the abilities I got a heightened analytical or scientific mind wasn't one of them. I have a keener eye for details and that's about it. My scientific talent is still baseline-level - so if you're recruiting me on the strength of that, it'd be unfair to pay me differently than you'd pay other baseline personel. Which is fine by me - I like being a scientist and I don't want to put that aside just because I won the quantum lottery. I just thought you should know.

Dr. Richardson, I didn't offer you the position just because you're a Nova and I won't retract the offer just because your intellectual level hasn't been hyper-enhanced.

I'm offering you the position for a number of reasons. First off, your colleagues have nothing but good things to say about you and your "research habits." Second, as I've said before, your research interests me. Finally, SolarSol does work to improve the lives of Novas and you have insight into the Nova condition, being one yourself.

While I don't play favorites between Baseline and Nova employees, there are some perks that only Novas will really benefit from and your salary will be more than you're used to; to accomodate the lifestyle changes you'll face. Trust me on this when I say you will still be on the lower end of the Nova pay-scale but what you do earn still might shock you wink

If it turns out you're not interested then I would like to discuss a proposal of information sharing regarding your research. Take your time and let me know.

Quote:
Hey, here's a joke for you - there's 10 people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Get it?

Ehehehe... well, *I* thought it was funny... smile
I prefer the other version: There are 3 types of people in the world - Those who understand Quaternary operators, those who can't, and those who just don't give a damn...

Hehe. Programmer jokes. You have no idea how many I have up here...

Today Dorian showed up, early in the morning, to take some measurements. I noticed a really weird thing - I have a robe but no underwear or anything, so I had to stand there in the buff while he measured me out for some new outfits. I didn't mind doing this before with Dr. Locke, but I put that down to him being a doctor. I didn't mind it with Dorian, either, even though I felt I should.

I think the way I relate to my body has gotten really skewed nowadays. I don't feel self-conscious about my vixen aspect. It's really weird. It's like trying to make yourself feel a certain way - you just can't get there on your own.

However, while I might not need it for modesty or protection, I'm a sentient woman in the twenty-first century and I *DO* need pockets. I have a PDA/celphone and I'm not clipping it to my ear full-time. And I think other people might find it a little off-putting if I started walking around in the buff. So Jordan, thanks. smile

Dorian left for a while to 'work.' He said he'd have the first samples earlier today. I didn't expect it so fast, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'll have to send you some photos once I try them on - and off. wink

My other visitor today was the head of Project Utopia himself! Justin J. Laragoine. He apparently likes to take time out when he can to greet freshly erupted novas, and he was in the area doing a charity function. We talked for a while about lots of things... but eventually, it turned to the subject of employment.

He offered me a very substantial salary, and then started laying out the circumstances under which I'd be earning it. Before he got too far in, I stopped him, and I thanked him, but I said that I wanted to continue working in the scientific field and I didn't want to be tied down to just one place.

He nodded as if he expected it, and I suddenly realized that he's probably got OpNet access and he probably lurks on this board. (Hi Justin!) He came up with an interesting offer - I could freelance. Work job-by-job. I could contribute my scientific background as a consultant of sorts on any one of dozens of projects - he mentioned the Eruption Research Team, Nova Medicine, pharmacutical sciences... all stuff I'm interested in. And then he said that I could freelance for assignments using my nova abilities, as well - while I wouldn't get on-call stuff like ferreting out trapped people in an earthquake or reading a suspect's mind for Internal Affairs, I'd get planned-in-advance stuff like letting the folks at Triton examine my biology, or studying the effets of my OtherMist... or, and this is a really intriguing one, because I have the ability to alter perceptions over a wide area, I could create telepathic training scenarios for Team Tomorrow.

I said, "You're a hard man to say no to, Mister Laragione." We had a good laugh. I said I'd have to think about it. He couldn't stick around that long, but he wanted to wish me well in future endeavors, wherever I conducted them.

As he left, I was just amazed. He wanted me in Utopia, it was plain to see... but he wasn't a jerk about it. He didn't get in my face. He understood what I wanted and he made a sincere effort to accomodate me.

Freelance. I could *definitly* go for that. I've been doing had research since the day I got out of school and I could use a little variety in my life now that I've got a body that can take advantage of that. Freelance. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Dorian returned in the afternoon! He already had stuff for me to try on, and oh my God you should SEE this stuff. He says it's just the rough cuts of what he was working on, but I'd never be able to tell. He had me try on this regal, amazing Japanese dress, and then this business suit, and then I got what looked like an open jean vest and shorts, and... scads of stuff. He has this thing on the outfits where this flap lets my tails move around but it doesn't show off any unwanted fuzzy ass, and it's all really light fabric so it practically floats on top of my fur... Thank you SO much, Jordan. I'm going to fly up there and plant a big sloppy kiss on your forehead, you big softy you. laugh

Today was just refinement of stuff I already learnt. The spit-and-polish stage. I'm still wobbly in the air, and I'll have to work on that if I want to do serious amounts of flying. My kitsune blast could blow up a car, they estimate... although maybe not in one shot. It's my telepathic mirages that are deadly - I did REALLY well on one test and I plunged the poor Doctor and two of his colleagues into this mythical fantasy forest for a half an hour. I just giggle when I think of the fun I could have with that... then I shiver a bit at the harm I could do with it.

I get out tomorrow. I'd going to silkscreen up a shirt for my sister that says "My sister erupted and became a nova and all I got was this dumb T-shirt." And then... I guess I'll have to start taking interviews... I can't avoid the press forever.

Jordan - if I wind up doing things on a freelance basis, I would be very interested in doing the scientific exchange with you. We can plan out the particulars after I've delivered your kiss. wink

Hmmm, it'd be interesting to start seeing your pictures on N! as you start out on your new life. I've always wanted to see what a Kitsune would look like in real life. It is interesting how some novas erupt into forms tied to mythology and popular culture. Are you Japanese by lineage? Or have you studied Japanese myth?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako 'Endeavor' Hino:
Hmmm, it'd be interesting to start seeing your pictures on N! as you start out on your new life. I've always wanted to see what a Kitsune would look like in real life. It is interesting how some novas erupt into forms tied to mythology and popular culture. Are you Japanese by lineage? Or have you studied Japanese myth?
I'm not Japanese by lineage - I know my lineage back to my grandfather and that's about it. I've studied a lot of Japanese myth, specifically regarding kitsunes, though. After I made the connection with the animal I was studying, I devoured books and OpNet sites on the subject. That's how I got my first nickname, of Foxy Roxy...

As for how I look - well, you could probably do an OpNet search and get the picture that jerk took of me just after I collapsed inside the COmputer Science building. That's not exactly at my best, though. I'll see what I can do about pictures after I get things straightened out.

I got to musing today a bit, about how creatures of myth are famous for giving you something, but taking away something in return. And I think about how my whole life got traded in for this one. And I wonder... did I erupt into a kistune-like creature because of the circumstance of my eruption? Or did whatever I was studying force me down this path? Did it force me to take on some of its powers? Is it possible to actually force a person to erupt the way you want them to?

I'll probably never find out what happened to that animal. Maybe it's for the best.

What about you, Endeavor? Did you go 'mythological' when you erupted too? What exactly are your abilities? I've blathered on so much about my own and I realize I hardly know anything about what you guys can do... smile

Well, *sigh* my node's activating has caused numerous interesting happenings with me. First off, in my day, I was a hardcore anime/manga fan. One day, during a fight, I popped the node, and ever since, I could fly, shoot off kinetic bolts, and kung-fu the best of 'em. The drawbacks though have made me the point of several ribbings among the motley crew here on the boards. I now have pink hair and eyes, my figure is practically anime proportion (Although I don't have the eyes yet, thank god.) Not to mention I am just as much the stark raving otaku as I was in my previous life. Yeah, I sort of seperate my "non-node" days as a previous life. It was that much of a life changing experience. Oh, did I mention I have a razor sharp mind? Although my behavior tends to say otherwise, I can code circles around the best human code-slingers out there. Although there are several code gods and godesses who would layeth the smacketh down on me easily.

But, being the irrepressible sailor suit wearing nova around here, I learn fast. But, I still have much to learn. I'm glad I still do. I definately don't want to be omnipotent. Knowing everyting would probably make me into some overbearing, snotty, bookworm librarian or something. :P At least it's cool being able to talk to other peers here on the boards. I'd rather talk to my fellow Novas that to the Humans when it comes to "affairs of the node".

Not to sound like we're some sort of exclusive club. More like a fraternity or sorority of fellow kindred souls. Membership is always open.

Oh, Vixen, if you're looking to come up with some costumes or clothing to fit the new you, you could give me a ring. It gets boring over here, and I like testing the full-body scanners I have over here. Not to mention my mother left a large fabrication facility I could use. Just come on over to Tokyo, and I'll hook you up.

Quote:
Vixen pondered:
Did I erupt into a kistune-like creature because of the circumstance of my eruption? Or did whatever I was studying force me down this path? Did it force me to take on some of its powers? Is it possible to actually force a person to erupt the way you want them to?
Yes. No. No. To a point, maybe.

Bear with me. I'm not an instructor of infinite patience like Ashnod or a puzzle solving wizard like Jager, i.e. my desire to sugar coat is pretty much non-existant these days.

Vixen have you ever, just for a split second, wanted to hurt somebody? Not necessarily put a bullet in their brain or rend them limb from limb - for most people it suffices simply to wish "bad things" would happen - thereby punishing the transgressors while leaving ourselve blameless.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that you're human in this regard and skip the usual after-school-special rationalizations about acting on impulses. Suppose, just for a moment, that when you felt that impulse that they be to hurt or "punished" you had direct control over the energies of the universe. What do you think would have happened?

Current theory is that eruption happens in Plank Time, the shortest possible duration of an event and the last stop in temporal measurements before the very concept of duration becomes meaningless. And that split second when you felt like hurting someone? In comparison to Plank Time, that split second equates to a century's worth of conscious thought and rationalizations. See where this is going?

You are what you are because you chose it. At the moment of eruption, that version of you without time to consciously think it through, rationalize or thoughtfully consider ramifications wanted this.

There are no quantum genies, kitsune, quantum expression seperate from ourselves or poisoned apples. At the moment of eruption there is us and there is power. We give it shape, context and meaning with our desires.

A nova that erupts with a car bearing down on them could manifest the power to fly out of the way, survive the kinetic force of impact, shrink to microscopic size or instantly travel from one location to another to avoid it. They might to do it by choosing to become an analogue of a fictional being they feel an affinity with (sorry Troll, Endeavor), a mythological creature (Kinsune, Elf, God) or simply possessing an ability that fulfills their desires in that moment. Usually including a powerful need to survive.

Consider what you thought of the kinsune before you erupted, then remember what you felt in that split second before eruption when you knew something was wrong in your world. There's where you will find your answer for why you chose this.

Living with it is a different matter as you're coming to terms with now.

In the majority of cases, I agree with that theory of our evolvement, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. What I do feel is that novas regularly baffle established rules and lwas, and redefine what we do and how we do it. I have seen two novas with an identical expression who accomplish it in very different ways. We share the aspect that what we accomplish is often expressed with a quantum resonance, but I have seen were that, too, isn't always the case.

Assume nothing.

I agree. Rules are for teachers that can't explain themselves and student that can't grasp what they're being told.

I will go you one better though, Jager. With the exception of characteristics that are strictly dependent on having MR coils replacing your nervous systems, I don't think any nova accomplishes any feat of quantum manipulation in exactly the same way. There are simalarities but that's it.

Quote:
...that what we accomplish is often expressed with a quantum resonance
I don't know what you mean by this statement.

Quote:
Posted by Jack Chance:
You are what you are because you chose it. At the moment of eruption, that version of you without time to consciously think it through, rationalize or thoughtfully consider ramifications wanted this.

There are no quantum genies, kitsune, quantum expression seperate from ourselves or poisoned apples. At the moment of eruption there is us and there is power. We give it shape, context and meaning with our desires.

They might...[choose] to become an analogue of a fictional being they feel an affinity with (sorry Troll, Endeavor), a mythological creature (Kinsune, Elf, God) or simply possessing an ability that fulfills their desires in that moment.
Jack has my Total agreement.

On living with it: Don't look back and don't say "if only". Like "if only I'd errupted a cybernetic". If I had to errupt all over again, this is NOT how I'd choose to. But there is no going back.

More to the point, if you could go back and not errupt, would you? I wouldn't.

On Dorming Part Way: There is speculation that this might be possible. As a personal example, my "pink" form has access to very few of my quantum abilities, but while in it I have none of my taint. My troll form has both full power (strength, healing) and taint (green skin, temper).

Well, eruption theory at the present moment is, ah, kind of a grey area. smile Until they capture an eruption with detailed scientific apparatus we're all just sticking to hypothesis. Hell, for all we know, all these eruptions could be caused by some incredibly powerful nova who wants company.

... naw. Too bizarre.

Anyways, Jack gets my response to the hypothesis on my eruption over on The Truth of Utopia. It's amazing how all these threats instantly turn into Utopia vs. Everyone Else. Now realize, Jack, that when you read my hypothesis it's from the perspective of someone who thinks she discovered faracytes in the brain tissue of a two-tailed fox. :P

Today's my last day! I'm so happy. My family's coming in a couple of hours to pick me up and then we're going out for a big meal at The Steak House. Anyone who wants to drop by and who's in the area is welcome - just, er, don't eat too much, 'cause I'm not exactly swimming in merchandise royalties at the moment. smile I invited Dr. Locke and some of the staff to the dinner as well, and they'll see if they can make it. I'll be the woman with the orange blazer and the white hair - yes, I'll be dormed down, save yer comments.

I've been thinking of starting my own OpSite, to deliver the Straight Dope™ (sorry, Cecil Adams.) Or just picking the first interview I do VERY carefully. My folks say they're swamped with calls from DeVries and Novelty Consulting and a dozen other 'supertemp' agencies, as well as some guy named James Booth. They're shooed them all off, thankfully.

I think freelance is the way to go now. I think being mobile mentally and physically now that I'm out of the wheelchair is what I want to do. So if any of you need help with any 'jobs' just ask. After you coaching me through this it's the least I can do.

Dorian showed up again today, with practically a wardrobe of stuff. In addition to the stuff he already had me try out, he got me a new labcoat, some shirts and slacks, some dresses, a few blazers and the most revealing T2M-styled outfit in the history of the world. wink I can't thank him enough. I'd wear some of it to the restaurant tonight but as I said, I'm going incognito. For the first bit, anyways - I have this giddy idea of powering up in the middle of the restaurant JUST to see the look on everyone's faces.

Someone told me today that my hypnotic voice reminded him a bit of Jesse Custer's Voice of God. I asked him who Jesse Custer was and he mentioned something about a 90's comic book. Maybe I should start reading those again. I got out of them once I lost the ability to turn the pages and I always felt embarassed a little by having someone hold it for me.

It's the last couple of hours. I've gotten to just sitting in my room while the last bunch of test results come in, and thinking about stuff. Trying out the occasional dress again. Realizing that this'll be my last blog written from this room. That I feel such affinity for people I only know by their words.

I've been thinking back to the car accident. Back when I learnt that I was going to be paralyzed for life, and unable to speak ever again. I remember being this tiny little ball of rage trapped in a body unable to express it. I remember feeling subhuman. Less than human. I remember wanting to die. I remember how my eyes would never stop pouring tears.

I remember the pain eventually fading as I found my love of science, because the body was broken but the mind was clear as crystal. I remembered my fight for self-confidence, as gradually be degrees I proved to myself that I was still human, that I still had a role to play and I wasn't useless. I remember fighting to define myself in my eyes as a member of the human race.

Maybe how human or inhuman we are as novas depends on how human or inhuman we want to be. The boundary of what is human is fuzzy and indistinct, and everyone's got their own map of what they consider humanity to be. Maybe you're right according to your map when you say you fall outside the boundaries you've defined humanity by, and maybe I'm right when I say I'm human since I fit within the 'human' area on my copy.

Maybe in a world where 8,000 people worldwide can manipulate an aspect of reality that routinely contradicts itself, it's possible to be one thing and another at the same time.

Maybe I've been in this room too long and I'm going batty. smile

Maybe I should stick to answering queries.

Endeavor: Yikes. Did you get the urge to stand perfectly still while speaking, only moving your mouth? smile I'm teasing, of course. And I know what you speak of when it comes to affairs of the node. It's just that my node is not my life - I define myself by more than a lump of putty in my forehead.

Jack: How I saw the kistune? Curiosity, more than anything. I remember thinking about how the grandest of myths can spring from the most mundane of realities. The night I erupted, I remembered being absolutely shocked at what I'd discovered. But if you're asking me why I became a kitsune-like nova... I couldn't tell you. I honestly couldn't. I've got a library card, however, and an OpNet connection, and access to the finest eruption and psychologcal and mytholigcal material out there. If there's a connection beyond the rather far-fetched one I've concocted thus far, I'm sure I'll find it.

Dr. Troll, Miss Fortune: I've heard that there are novas who can shift their shapes, partially or completly. Maybe what you refer to is a form of this?

Oops! My family's here! Remember - The Steak House, across from Pinnacle University, and we'll be there probably all night. Stop by if you can, I'll introduce you to everyone!

Gotta go! Love you all!

Well, to everyone else I am going to stop by and make sure her family uderstand that they have one the most wounderous gifts they could ask for.

And for future note, it is not shape changing,as it is just how my powers are,and other novas do not seem to notice me as much.But it is not on and off for me.I mean I do not go off. Just less on I guess.I mean the only things that changes are my powers,and nova liek things.....Now do I have time to get a dress?

(OOC: If anyone wishes, I can start up a 'party' threat in the story forums, and anyone would be welcome to participate. Roxanne's booked out a private booth at the restaurant, and she'll probably still be partying there until the wee small hours of the morning.)

Quote:
Dr. Troll...: I've heard that there are novas who can shift their shapes, partially or completly. Maybe what you refer to is a form of this?
I've met a couple of shapechangers, and they can do things I can't and vise versa.

While it is possible that the rules are different for us single form changers (link forms), the other possibility is that "dorm" does have several settings. Totally on, totally off, and somewhere in between. All novas have the On setting, some can learn one (or both) of the other two.

As for meeting, I'd love to, but over the holiday I'm visiting family (for the first time since before I erupted).

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Quite a large gathering you have there, Vixen. A question for you. What ever became of the fox you were studying?
I have no idea.

They never found Kit's body (I called him Kit.) They've had the pound and the humane society looking for him since the fire and they haven't seen anything. I don't think they'll find him.

And since all my research went up in smoke with the building, I can't prove that Kit had faracytes in his brain. I can't prove there was some kind of M-R node going on up in his head. It's frustrating, is what it is. To be millimeters away from this big breakthrough and have it all vanish on you. frown

Also, two men have officially been connected with setting the fire, although no one knows why. They'll be formally charged as soon as they wake up out of their comas. They're 100% catatonic. I'm scared I did that to them somehow, without thinking about it...

There's so many facts that don't add up, though. Little nagging inconsistancies. It's wearing on me a bit. I wish I could remember more about my eruption.