Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Something to Struggle For

Blue Thunder

Zia regained himself. He looked at where Mal used to stand, and said simply "This changes everything. I have to go."

The Apothecary collected his things, walked to the door, and left the room. He didn't acknowledge Envy or the others.

Speaking of which, I think its time we took care of Turncoat. You got a fix on ol' Lourte, Synapse?"

Synapse didn't respond. This meant he was either busy somewhere else or didn't care enough to reply to Envy at the time. Both were viable, given the situation.

Cobra wheels on Envy. "Kill Turncoat? That's stupid. He's a meaningless pawn."

"...who knows FAR too much for his own good. And anyway, theres no such thing as a meaningless Nova. If you don't want to kill him, fine, but I suggest we capture him and see what else he knows. We should take him to Orzaiz. Now...are you gonna help, or not?!" ::huh

Envy starts making his way to the airlock, assuming Roach will be right behind him.

Cobra strides quickly to keep up with Envy.

"'What he knows'? He's an obvious schizophrenic! The only reason he got this assignment is because Delorimier didn't know we'd be involved to present any difficulty!"

Envy pauses

"You were arguing his threat not a few moments ago. Codeword: Juxtaposition remember? In any case I think you are correct. Even if his own mind wasn't scrambled Im afraid his own telepathic abilities make him uninterrogateable, not to mention exceedingly dangerous. His volatile nature makes him even moreso. How long until Delormier turns him against us?"

"So what, we should execute the man just because he could potentially be asked to work against us in the future? Delorimier knows I'd cut him to pieces if Cult members attacked the Prometheans and I wasn't taken, and my mind is shielded against telepathy."

Still, the certainty starts to fade from Cobra's voice as he does, indeed, begin to ponder Turncoat and the threat he would pose, if a conflict broke out between the Cult of Mal and the Prometheans...

"Potentially? C'mon man...Do you really think Marcel is going to play nice? Damn it Divis! Look...you know as well as I do, that Delormier will try and kill anyone he can't control. Make no mistake....the rules have changed now, and if we want the Prometheans to come out on top, let alone survive, we need to strike now! While we have the advantage of knowledge. Then we should get back to the Blackburn ASAP. I'll need to disrupt his telepathy, and then Roach can eat him, so there won't be any evidence. What do you think Roach? Didn't Hooks look tasty?"

King Cobra thinks about it. Unfortunately... Jericho has a point.

"Maybe we should just kill Delorimier," he says thoughtfully. "No one could fault us after his multiple betrayals, and it'll hamstring the Cult of Mal's more militant side right before it would get the excuse it's always been waiting for to start spilling nova blood."

"I know, and Flare won't be too happy about that. In fact, I wonder how her Mal-worship will be affected by his new "policy." In the meantime, don't underestimate Marcel. he's been through the Chrysalis twice already and is concomittantly powerful. Right now lets just take care of his henchman. We'll have to sooner or later, and right now, we'll have the surprise. We don't know what the odds will be later, and I'm not taking any chanses..."

Roach looks at his two teamates and fellow brothers.

"If Mr. Envy says he goes...then he goes! I could gor fer a taste 'o' 'is flesh. 'Sides Cobra, be a good thing te see you in action!"

Roach turns his worn ball cap around backwards and cracks his knotted knucles in anticipation of taking down the turncoat.

"After you boss...after you"

"And Zia is a better thinker than Envy, and Mal is a better thinker than he. But most real decisions don't require a brilliant mind, Roach, just integrity. Novas like you and me, even though we aren't at the top of the chain in terms of brainpower, are still our own, and not theirs. I think you'd do well to remember that."

Cobra stops his lecture as they approach the lounge, and realizes he should let Roach work, since he's the only one present who can actually track Turncoat down.

Roach ponders what King Cobra says, processing it slowly as they walk the hallway towards the lounge.

"Integ'ity is a good thing yah. I think that bein' a 'elp to those that 'elp me is a good road as well. Mr. Envy opened his home te me. You have all started te show me kindess and friendship. Things that a guy like me don' get te see much. I promised to work fer and defend Mr. Envy...if this is my task, I'll be sure'n see it done!"

When they reach the lounge, Roach activates his hypersonic hearing to track down turncoat.

"You should listen to Cobra, Roach. You don't have to do something just because I think its a good idea. You're welcome to sit this one out. In any case, its not like he is going to be hard to find, given that there is no direct way out of this place..."

Envy has left the Chrysalis chamber and making his way back to the living areas.

"Mr. Envy, I be more'n happy te do it."

Roach walks into the room and see's Turncoat sitting in the chair. He felt cold and calm...a real monster. He walks casually past Turncoat, a bit behind his sitting form. Where he once was calm, in a blur of motion he leaps into action.

(( Roach will make two claw attacks at the back of Turncoats head Holding nothing back. Then a third attack, he will spit his acid at what will hopefully be a stunned or badly injured oponnent. He has Multi-Task (MW) and Rapid Strikes (MD) ))

((Hopefully Envy has a higher Initiative than Roach...))

Walking in calmly, Envy plunks down on the couch next to Turncoat. Letting out a sigh, he replies, "We need to talk," while casually placing a hand on Hooks shoulder. "Im afraid your taint has made you quite the liability Hooks....

Envy will hold up his other hand to stay Roach. If they mean to execute him he should t least know why and be able to see it coming. If Divis wants them to kill each other he'll be damned if he sacrifice his honor. Stabbing someone in the back is the kind of thing Delormier would do, and the Prometheans are about finding a post-human ethic. *We musn't forget that...*

((Activate Quickness. Envy will make two hijack attempts this round. He will attempt to disrupt and Imprint Turncoat's telepathy and psychic shield. Let me know how the Q-Jacking goes.))

Envy and Roach Vs. Turncoat's Noggin

Initiative order:

Envy - 23

Roach - 20

Turncoat - 13

***Envy***

Envy placed a hand on Turncoat's shoulder, and Turncoat's quantum signature went into chaos. His frame shifted appearances wildly for a brief moment, and his eyes temporarily took on a reflective surface like Envy's. And when Quantum Hijacking's effects ended, Turncoat's face returned to that of the Directive agent known as Jesse Hooks.

((Envy temporarily gains Telepathy, Holo, and Psychic Shield at 3 dots each. He also gains Mega-Perception, -Appearance, and -Manipulation at 2 dots each, but no enhancements. Telepathy and Holo are tied together, so when using Telepathy, Holo activates to mimic the appearance of the mind or memories he is reading. But this isn't as insane as Turncoat's, since Envy didn't copy his "Psychic Mimic MPD" aberration. The Holo simply makes him appear as the person he is scanning, or a person from the memories he is reading. Envy's personality will only change while using Telepathy, if he even does within the short time he has to use it. They'll be Maintenance, so you can keep them up at a qp cost, but you're also keeping Q-Hijack up at a Maintenance cost, so...your choice. Also, the stolen powers are limited to Turncoat's Quantum of 3.))

((Envy PMed me to say he wants to use his second action to stop Roach from killing Turncoat. And after I went to all that trouble typing up Turncoat's bloody demise -_- ))

Envy then used a hand to stop Roach, preventing him from clawing Turncoat apart. He had copied Turncoat's abilities, and he planned on using them against him.

***Roach***

((Cancelling your actions, or still going through with them?))

With preternatural Quickness, Envy had leaped over the couch to stand in front of Roach, quite defensless at the moment to his razor claws.

"No Roach. Killing him only lowers us to Delormier's level. We have to be more cunning than mere murderers. Turncoat here is a valuable asset."

Envy places his hands on Turncoats shoulders.

"I just dropped his psychic defenses, and the power to get past them. I want to know what's in his noggin, but not here. Cobra, do we have any Mox stored here? We'll need to keep him powered down for the long term I'm afraid. Furthermore, the Balckburn won't be safe... Its too public and Hooks may have allies there. We need to get him back to HQ..."

Envy grabs his cell phone. Of course, cell signals can be traced which is why everything gets routed through Synapse.

"Synapse, can you get me a secure line to the Count?"

King Cobra pushes off from the wall and walks slowly towards Envy and Roach. "Mox? I didn't check the drug cabinet when I went to take a piss earlier, but my guess is no. What we do have, however, is..." Casually, without breaking the flow of his conversation, Cobra drops an elbow onto the bridge of poor Turncoat's skull, putting his full weight behind the blow and trying to knock him out (not to kill him).

"Envy, you'll need to call Blinker. Locust and I won't be able to teleport you side-along as long as my touching you would activate your powers." He then appears to think of something.

"Oh! Unless your power drain has been replaced by Turncoat's powers for now... How does that work, exactly?"

((How did Turncoat react on his initiative BT? Before KC goes to knock him out?))

"If only. No, Im still as dangerous as always, only now I can read minds...K.C., since you can, why don't you take Hooks back to HQ. We have the Mox there... Roach and I can wait for Blinker"

Envy will do a telepathic scan for Orzaiz. If he locates him, he will "ask permission" for telepathic contact...speaking only, not scanning. He will also scan for any minds outside of the bunker to try and locate where they are...now that Caroline is dead, the secrecy of her cocoon isn't as much a concern...

Envy grabs his cell phone. Of course, cell signals can be traced which is why everything gets routed through Synapse.

"Synapse, can you get me a secure line to the Count?"

Synapse finally returned to attention. His voice projected itself from the OpNet moniter of the lounge, and his image appeared on the screen as well. "Hold on, I'll route you through...it'll take a minute though..."

Casually, without breaking the flow of his conversation, Cobra drops an elbow onto the bridge of poor Turncoat's skull, putting his full weight behind the blow and trying to knock him out (not to kill him).

Turncoat didn't resist the blow, which was very odd for a man with enhanced perceptions such as his. After Envy copied his abilities, Turncoat had just stared forward, as if in a state of concentration or trance. The thump to his head knocked him out of it, but only because it knocked him unconscious. It was mysteriously easy...something was indeed not right with Turncoat's mind.

"If only. No, Im still as dangerous as always, only now I can read minds...K.C., since you can, why don't you take Hooks back to HQ. We have the Mox there... Roach and I can wait for Blinker"

((If you decide to go to Envy's mansion, King Cobra, then post your action here, then you can start posting at the Branch 1 thread since James is at the mansion and Jack is still nearby.))

Envy will do a telepathic scan for Orzaiz. If he locates him, he will "ask permission" for telepathic contact...speaking only, not scanning.

((I assume you'll be cancelling that phone call?))

Telepathy scan for Orzaiz: 5 successes

Envy attempted telepathic communication for the first time and located Orzaiz's mind, and it wasn't as far from his current location as he had first assumed. Distance was hard to tell, since he had never used a power like this before.

Orzaiz's mind accepted communication and replied "Envy, is that you? I assume you got Hooks then...anyway, I know what happened. Synapse showed me everything in the chamber as it happened. I suggest you get out of there quick to help organize the Prometheans. I'll send Jaunt to get you if you need me to."

Unknown to Envy, who was busy concentrating to keep communication up, his appearance shifted into that of Orzaiz.

He will also scan for any minds outside of the bunker to try and locate where they are...now that Caroline is dead, the secrecy of her cocoon isn't as much a concern...

((You must look for specific minds to scan for with Telepathy.))

"Hold on, I'll route you through...it'll take a minute though..."

"Cancel that. I've got a better way now..."

"Envy, is that you? I assume you got Hooks then...anyway, I know what happened. Synapse showed me everything in the chamber as it happened. I suggest you get out of there quick to help organize the Prometheans. I'll send Jaunt to get you if you need me to."

Unknown to Envy, who was busy concentrating to keep communication up, his appearance shifted into that of Orzaiz.

*Good. Glad you are up to speed. Please do send Jaunt...we'll keep Turncoat at the Blackburn for now, so I will explain things to Geryon. In the meantime Im going to scan him and make sure he didn't send out any cries for help...Envy out.*

Envy ends the telepathic contact and then leeches Hooks a second time, hopefully disrupting the last of his telpathy and psychic shielding. He will then attempt to use telpathy on Hooks, scanning his memories of the last few moments to see if he had been naughty...as well as Delormier's location as last known to Turncoat...

((When you update BT, feel free to advance through the entrance of Jaunt and get us to the Blackburn so we can be on with the show...))

Envy ends the telepathic contact and then leeches Hooks a second time, hopefully disrupting the last of his telpathy and psychic shielding. He will then attempt to use telpathy on Hooks, scanning his memories of the last few moments to see if he had been naughty...as well as Delormier's location as last known to Turncoat...

Turncoat's mind was usually like a jungle of contradicting memories, but the voices in his mind were quiet for now. The memories Envy accessed were simple and recent, so it wasn't much of a struggle to retrieve them.

Turncoat last contacted Deloremier yesterday from one of his shrines to Mal, this one near Avignon, France. The memory itself was hazy, probably due to Deloremier's mind-altering powers, but the location was enough to go on. The Cult of Mal's shrine near Avignon was no secret to other Terats, and its doors were always open to visitors of the movement.

But when Envy scanned Turncoat's mind to see if he had sent out a distress signal, he made a strange discovery. Turncoat had indeed tried using his telepathic abilities to send out a distress call...but not to Deloremier. He attempted to contact Grayson Lorey, the Directive agent that worked closely with him when he was with the Directive.

Apparently, the original Hooks personality had been awakened for that brief moment after Envy's Quantum Hijacking, just like previously when Turncoat's mind went into a loop. Fortunately, though telepathic contact was made with Lorey, Hooks wasn't able to relay anything before King Cobra knocked him out.

Several minutes later a shimmering, emerald-ringed warp hole ripped itself into existence in the lounge. A private room within the Blackburn could easily be seen on the other side, with Jaunt's featureless face gazing (?) in from the other side.

((I'll make a new thread for the Blackburn, but until then, feel free to hop into the Branch 2 thread if you go through the warp.))

Letting the concentration wane, Envy becomes fully present again to the others.

"Hmm. Fascinating. Inside his mind, I found...the original Jesse Hooks. It seems my power drain had the effect of ceasing his insanity. If he stays this way, it may bode well for us. I may be able to reason with him as a Directive agent." A light goes on in Envy's head, manifested by a slightly brighter shine from his eyes.

"In fact, Hooks left the Directive long before my incident. We may be able to stage a scene for him...make him think that he's been rescued by his original employers, who have found a way tosuppress his powers. We can say we need to debrief him of everything he has found on the Teragen..."

When Jaunt comes through, Envy tips an imaginary hat by way of greeting an thanks. He hoists Turncoat over his shoulder (In the process sapping what may be left of Hook's quantum pool) and walks through into the Blackburn...

Archived