Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Something to Struggle For

Blue Thunder

Prometheans Unbound, Chapter 1 - Brave New World

Branch 3 - Something to Struggle For

Player Characters - Envy, Roach, King Cobra

Setting
-
The Chrysalis Sanctum, at an unknown location.
Caroline Fong entered Chryalis when the Teragen movement was relatively new, but she did not awake from it like her partner Marcel "The Apostle" Deloremier did. Team Tomorrow-Europe leader Saxon stole her defenseless coccoon thanks to an anonymous tip, and she was taken to Bahrain for study by Utopia. The Teragen rescued her coccoon during the infamous Bahrain attack, and Divis Mal has been trying to unlock her Chrysalis in the years since.
Caroline herself has become almost a
celebrity
figure within the movement since her rescue from Bahrain, despite doing nothing to acquire the fame (unless you count botching her Chrysalis). Though she has yet to be revived from her Chrysalis her presence has become
important
, somehow, to every Terat. Scripture suggests it is because Terats need
something to struggle for
, something to give their battles and suffering more purpose, and Caroline provides this. She has become an
icon
of the Teragen.
The Chrysalis Sanctum's location is kept a secret from most Terats. Very few novas get to visit it, and they can only arrive through the teleportation of a trusted nova, like Blinker. The location is kept secret for a
very
good reason; if a Terat were to get captured and have a telepath dig inside their mind, they could reveal the location of Caroline and deal a crippling blow to the movement. Terats assume the facility is underground, given the strange "story-less" set-up of the various levels and hallways, which seem to be arranged at random. Most forms of quantum detection cannot sense beyond the outside walls either; there are quantum barriers in place to prevent outsiders from detecting what is within, and they also affect those within from looking out (and it would be rude for any Terat to
try
learning where they are anyway).
The sanctum is actually a very roomy facility, given it's lack of substantial use; there may be a Terat presence at all times, but it's rarely a
large
one. There are several rooms for guests to stay at, plus a dining area, a meeting room, a lounge, several rooms of other functions, and finally the room/lab where Caroline lies (which none are allowed into without permission). Synapse is the only Terat besides Mal that has regular access to the facility, but Scripture and Altaz "The Apothecary" Zia are also known to visit.
Envy was asked by Scripture and Synapse to look over the facility while most of the Teragen was occupied with the Michaelite raids, and he is accompanied by King Cobra and Roach.

Goal
- Caroline's body is under almost
constant
guard by Terats. Not the kind of guarding that requires Terats to stand outside her door at all times like soldiers though...Terats need only occupy the facility and be in a position to respond to any dangers.
The job is basically grunt work, but Terats assigned to the task usually see it as a mark of
trust
. Not just any Terat is allowed to guard Caroline's Chrysalis, because of her sensitive condition. Only Terats that have proven themselves to the movement, and have gained the trust of the Pantheon, will ever be considered.

The Start
- Envy, King Cobra, and Roach have made themselves comfortable in the lounge. Blinker brought them in two hours prior, and an automated greeting from Synapse played telling the trio the basics of what to do and not do. Both Blinker and Synapse will be absent for at least half a day, as they handle the Michaelite raids. As far as the three Prometheans know, they are alone in the Chrysalis Sanctum with Caroline's coccoon, but visitors could arrive at any time for whatever reason.
The lounge is the largest room, with several long couches and chairs arranged facing each other, and plenty of open space. The walls are lined with tapestries, paintings, and stone statuettes of angels and other biblical beings, giving the impression that the Cult of Mal spends time here. Despite the ancient ambience, the room features advanced technology and security, thanks to Synapse.

The three Prometheans were making themselves comfortable when a gentle voice carried itself into the room. "Ah, Envy...I see you came. Now we shall have a chance to actually speak."

Bounty entered the lounge. She looked much as she always had since her Chrysalis, with green vines covering almost every inch of her body. She had only met Envy once, and that was briefly.

"And you brought friends. I don't believe I've met these two. My name is Bounty but you may call me Bene, if you wish."

King Cobra's eufibre is shaped into a charcoal and black tuxedo for the occasion. He is sitting on the sofa reading a book with a bear on the cover.

"And you brought friends. I don't believe I've met these two. My name is Bounty but you may call me Bene, if you wish."

Cobra doesn't look up from his book, but he says, "Envy, make sure it's really her."

Envy had just finished instructing the OpNet to run a search for all media broadcasts of the CoMa rally and display them on separate monitors as they come on.

Behind him, a voice unexpected brought surprise though he betrayed none through his preturnatural composure.

"You honor us with your presence, Bounty. To what do we owe such an unexpected pleasure?"

"Envy, make sure it's really her."

Envy nods, even as he does so scanning her through his incredible node.

"No offense. We weren't told you were coming..."

Envy nods, even as he does so scanning her through his incredible node.

((The Node Background?))

Your node flexes itself, and detects what is to be expected: four quantum signatures in the immediate area. Fong's Chrysalis chamber is too far away from the lounge to detect.

((Or did you mean Quantum Attunement?))

You open your senses to the quantum forces around you. Bounty's frame ebbs with quantum as a nova would, but something does seem strange. It's as if the quantum energies within her frame don't...add up correctly. It's as if some of the quantum within her frame is hiding behind itself.

((Q-Attunement reveals Quantum 3, Node 0, and Taint 5))

Bounty changes into the form of Jesse Hooks. Turncoat.

"Sorry. Bad habit, you see."

"Bloody Hell Turncoat! That's a good way to get killed coming in here like that..."

Still without looking up or showing any surprise, Cobra grins at Envy's reaction, and turns a page in his book.

"I have some bad habits myself, Hooks. What do you want?"

Roach seems all at once confused by what just happened, then angered by the deception. When Envy speaks -

"Bloody Hell Turncoat! That's a good way to get killed coming in here like that..."

Roach moves right in to stand between them if possible, if not he will stand just at Envy's side.

As he utters a growl...

Turncoat puts up his hands in his defense "Now let's not get hostile. Marcel asked me to come. Now, what was it he said to me?"

His image shifts into that of The Apostle. "Turncoat, the Cult of Mal needs you to guard the Chrysalis of our beloved Caroline, for there are no others to do so right now."

Turncoat shifts back. "Huh, I guess he didn't get the memo about you guys. I didn't know you guys would be here, either. I guess I could use some company."

His frame shifts again, this time into Directer Harris of the Directive "What we know about the Chrysalis is slim, soldier. It's like some kind of hibernation or coccoon. The aberrant is defenseless, but there are always others watching over it, so extraction attempts must be planned carefully."

He shifts back. "You'll have to excuse my rowdy friends. They come out to play whenever they feel like it."

King Cobra finally looks up, fully taking Turncoat in for the first time. "Stay if you want, Hooks. Mrs. Fong is safe under our wings, but you don't look like you have anywhere better to be."

Still... I wonder why Jeremiah Scripture would ask us to protect Caroline Fong, but keep it a secret even from his direct subordinate Delorimier?

Roach moves right in to stand between them if possible, if not he will stand just at Envy's side.

As he utters a growl...

"Easy Roach. He may be a practical joker, but he's still a Terat...one of us."

"Just try not to spring pranks like that in such a sensitive location, Turncoat...once I saw through your deception I was about to sound the alarm. Safety prorcols demand proper confirmation of identity, you know that as much as I do."

"Stay if you want, Hooks. Mrs. Fong is safe under our wings, but you don't look like you have anywhere better to be."
"Indeed. Now that we've all had our requisite heart-attack, why don't you make yourself at home. What's the word from the "Apostle?""

Roach wasn't quite sure what just happened, he had not been around many shape changers; the idea frightened him. He was confident, though, that Envy was capable of descerning danger and left it at that. He walked the perimeter of the room, as if marking his territory in a strange way. He looked for any loose magazines, or small plants that may be eaten with out causing an issue. New and strange situations made him nervous...which made him eat. He located a small and strange looking piece of art that could be an ashtray or something of the sort. Holding it up he asks.

"Mr. Envy...don't suppose I could 'ave a bite...eh?"

"Indeed. Now that we've all had our requisite heart-attack, why don't you make yourself at home. What's the word from the "Apostle?"

Turncoat let himself fall onto an empty seat. After getting comfortable, he quickly stared to his left as if something had gotten his attention, and he stared for several seconds. But what was he staring at? Nothing seemed to be occupying the space he was gazing into.

He eventually came back to his senses and responded to Envy with his usual carefree voice "Mal seems to have made some kind of progress with Caroline in the past week or so. That's why Marcel wanted me to come here and take over for the two Terats that left for the Mikey attacks. She might pop awake at any minute. And when that happens he wants me to--"

His face twitched and he stood, shifting into The Apostle "And when that happens Turncoat, I need you to alert me. I want to be there when she awakens, and not a moment later. Do not to let anyone know that Caroline has--"

He abruptly shifted into Caroline Fong "--admit to a certain degree of fear. This is something every Terat has to overcome, I suppose. The fear. We cannot let the fear of the unknown overwhelm us or control us, because that would be a baseline response, and a baseline could never achieve the potential we can achieve. That is one of the principles to understanding Teras. We must look beyond the fear and learn not to be consumed by it, because is creates doubt. And doubt is perhaps our greatest enemy. And when I awaken--"

Then he was the Apostle again "--awakened. I should be the only Pantheon member to hear the news from you. If Orzaiz gets wind--"

And then he was Orzaiz "--suspicious that she was lost on your watch, Deloremier. What exactly were you doing at the time? Saxon was as tall as the house she was in, and he punched his way through the wall to get to her. And then when we capture Saxon, he--"

Turncoat changed into Saxon "No...no! No more! Make it stop!" and then into Narcosis "Yes! Harder!"

And then back into Orzaiz "--manages to escape, right after meeting with you in Synapse's chamber. He was going to reveal which Terat betrayed Caroline's Chrysalis to Utopia. Not even Synapse can come up with an explanation for it. It's been several years now, but we have not forgotten. And chances are that Saxon's mind and body were both pulled apart for study in the depths of Bahrain, preventing us from learning the truth. And I hold you personally responsible, Deloremier. You're actions--"

As the deceased Proteus agent, Maurice Lourte "--records and files of all kinds about Project Proteus. I had no idea. That's why I've come to you, Count, I--"

As the Apostle "--and Pedro will cause problems for us, and for the entire Cult of Mal. We can't let that happen, do you understand? This is--"

The Apostle's image disappeared to reveal a lightly tanned man with short-cut brown hair, wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt. His body froze in place and he slowly tilted his head to look around the room, almost as if assessing the danger of where he was and who he was in the room with him. And when he did this, his expression grew into that of fear and panic.

((Envy, you notice this man almost immediately. It's the original Turncoat, the one that worked for the Directive...the one that was repressed into the new Turncoat's subconscious when The Apostle forcfully converted him to the Cult of Mal.))

And a moment later the wide-eyed man disappeared to reveal the Turncoat everyone was familiar with. His face twitched twice, and he sat back down out of exhaustion.

"Uh...where was I?"

From what little any of you know of Turncoat, you know that his behavior has been a bit erratic ever since the Lourte incident at the Amp Room. Sometimes he changes with no recollection that he changed at all. Still, this is a bit extreme. You've never heard of him losing control like this. What's more is that these all sound like memories he lifted from someone's mind via his "doppelganger" shapseshifting method. But who?

"Mr. Envy...don't suppose I could 'ave a bite...eh?"

"Sorry Roach, not our house. Stick with scraps and garbage from the kitchen, if you would please."

After getting comfortable, he quickly stared to his left as if something had gotten his attention, and he stared for several seconds. But what was he staring at? Nothing seemed to be occupying the space he was gazing into.

Fascinated by Turncoat, Envy uses quantum attunement in the middle of his staring, trying to see what is going on with him. He will keep the scan up for the few turns it takes Turncoat to finish his "rant."

"Uh...where was I?"

"Hiding his shock over what just happened, Envy gives a look to King Cobra as if to say, "did you get all that" combined with "this is potentially very dangerous." ::huh

"You were just going to tell us what the word was from the Apostle..."

King Cobra drops his book on the floor to give Turncoat his undivided attention the second he begins these shapeshifting spasms.

"--manages to escape, right after meeting with you in Synapse's chamber. He was going to reveal which Terat betrayed Caroline's Chrysalis to Utopia. Not even Synapse can come up with an explanation for it. It's been several years now, but we have not forgotten. And chances are that Saxon's mind and body were both pulled apart for study in the depths of Bahrain, preventing us from learning the truth. And I hold you personally responsible, Delorimier. Your actions--"
This is important, but I might not get another chance to talk to Jericho without Hooks listening. He'll just have to absorb my words with whatever Hooks reveals at the same time - hope his mental faculty's as strong as I think.

Apparently coming to a decision, Cobra turns to Envy and speaks in a very fast, low growl, trying to get it all in before Turncoat returns to normal. "Don't know how this is gonna last. Turncoat's not to be trusted, nor Delorimier himself if he's keeping secrets from Orzaiz. Must keep an eye on Hooks if anything happens with Fong once he returns to normal. Code words are 'filibuster' for knock him out; 'juxtaposition' for kill him now. Remember I can teleport him to Tibet if I need to."

"Uh...where was I?"

King Cobra meets Envy's gaze, then looks away and nods subtly.

He gets up and walks past Hooks, over to the counter of the lounge, pulling some ice out of the freezer and dumping it into a blender. "Anyone else want a daquiri?"

Fascinated by Turncoat, Envy uses quantum attunement in the middle of his staring, trying to see what is going on with him. He will keep the scan up for the few turns it takes Turncoat to finish his "rant."

Quantum Attunement

You've never used your quantum vision on Turncoat before, so you're not sure if what you see is normal for him, but the quantum energies in his mind look as if they're fighting themselves. They flow violently into each other, especially during times when his image shifts. And at various intervals during his changes, all of the quantum energies in his brain kind of skip or spasm a bit.

Turncoat gets comfortable and leans back in his seat "Mal seems to have made some kind of progress with Caroline in the past week or so. That's why Marcel wanted me to come here and take over for the two Terats that left for the Mikey attacks. She might pop awake at any minute. And when that happens he wants me to alert the Pantheon."

He gets up and walks past Hooks, over to the counter of the lounge, pulling some ice out of the freezer and dumping it into a blender. "Anyone else want a daquiri?"

Turncoat changes into a drunken college girl "Yeah but only, like one, okay...cause like, I can't get drunk, cause like, I gotta study...tonight...yeah...woooo!"

The OpNet monitor is showing a live N! feed of the Michaelite assault. Geryon has just rammed Montoya-Bernal into a building, and Jack can be seen as a monstrous liquid metal creature with tentacles and spikes.

Turncoat's cellphone beeps. "Eh, I gotta take this kiddies. I'll be back." He stands from his seat and exits, ignoring his daquiri.

About a minute after Turncoat leaves the lounge, Synapse's image flashes into existence, projected from the OpNet moniter. "It's Caroline. She's out. I saw Turncoat's spaz attack, so I'm distracting him as long as I can and silencing the alarms, but I can't keep him busy forever. Get your asses to the Chrysalis chamber!"

"It's Caroline. She's out. I saw Turncoat's spaz attack, so I'm distracting him as long as I can and silencing the alarms, but I can't keep him busy forever. Get your asses to the Chrysalis chamber!"

Envy's eyes actually widen.

*The mother of Teras, awake?!*

"K.C.! You and Roach 'port into the chamber. I'll be right behind you. We may need you to 'port her safely to Orzaiz. Synapse! I assume you called the Count 5 minutes ago...replay for him Turncoats outburst as well..."

The daquiri glass smashes to pieces on the floor as King Cobra morphs intangible and flies through the wall (not literally, but he's moving pretty damn fast) in the direction of the Chrysalis chamber. As he passes out of the lounge, he can be heard to say, "We're coming."

Roach moves to follow King Cobra, unsure if Envy meant for him to teleport Roach as well. If not, Roach runs very fast up the hallways, occasionaly moving to all fours as he runs up the walls onto the ceiling and such to approach hallways the fastest way possible.

Roach activiates his hypersonic hearing, both to keep in contact with his partners, while also attempting to locate where they are going!

*****King Cobra*****

By using your shadow form you easily pass through the wall of the lounge. Shifting yourself towards the Chrysalis Chamber, you pass through solid rock. It's only a moment later that you emerge up through the ground, facing the doorway to Fong's chamber.

*****Roach*****

By the time you reach the door to Caroline Fong's chamber, Envy and King Cobra are already there. Your enhanced hearing picks up humming and low-volume electric noise from within the chamber itself, as well as the sounds of metal clicking and snapping together, like moving machinery parts.

*****Envy*****

You blaze by Roach at your top running speed, and arrive at the door just after King Cobra does.

Synapse's image projected itself from the console by the door. "Okay, I'm opening it up. Mal isn't here yet, but Zia is inside. I've still got Turncoat occupied, so I'll shut the door after you guys are in."

The door slid open to reveal a short, brightly lit hallway with another door at the end.

"Zia knows you're here and that you're coming in, but try to keep quiet. Caroline probably doesn't have a clue how long she's been dormant. When she started Chrysalis, the Teragen wasn't even public. She won't know any of you."

The door slid shut once the group was through. Synapse opened the second door when the trio got close enough, then shut it behind them.

Caroline Fong's Chrysalis chamber was filled with machinery and electronics of every kind. The room was circular, with Caroline's cocoon laying upon a pod-shaped bed in the center. Where the rest of the room had dim lighting, Caroline's cocoon was illuminated by light panels, making her glow amongst the assortment of medical machinery and data collecting devices. Consoles, tubes, and cords were arranged almost at random throughout the room, making walking difficult, but the space around Caroline's bed was free of clutter. And by her cocoon stood Doctor Altaz "The Apothecary" Zia, keeper of the Harvesters.

Zia turned to face Envy "Her brain just saw a major spike in activity, and she's showing all the tell-tale signs of Chrysalis emergence. It should happen any moment now. Synapse is trying to contact Mal." He then directed his attention back at Caroline's cocoon.

Caroline Fong's cocoon looked very much like the cocoon one would expect to see a caterpillar wrapped in. It was an off-white color and made of fibrous material. Her shape was easy to make out, however, it also gave off an odd "rippling glow" as if parts of it were engulfed with white fire...

"Wow..." says Cobra. He's still in shadowform, and it's slightly unnerving to hear him talking while his closest physical resemblance is some phantasmal nightmare.

"This is a moment of.. history being made." His voice catches reverently. Then it takes on a more light-hearted tone as he turns to address Roach and Envy. "Glad you guys could make it."

Envy gives a nod of greeting to Zia.

"Apothecary...the surprises keep coming today...good to see you. And Roach, that is most certainly *not* edible. What you are looking at is noneother than the Mother of Teras. Mal brought us this...the Chrysalis. Caroline Fong lit our pathway to it, by codifying a philosophy of our Natures. Before Caroline, only Mal and Scripture had crossed its abyss. The reason we are all waiting with baited breath, my friend, is that Caroline entered her first Chrysalis twelve years ago and has remained like this...until now."

As Envy spoke, Synapse projected himself out of a nearby piece of machinery, this time only to watch.

Doctor Zia adds in "Yes, it would be best if you didn't consume Ms. Fong. We will enjoy her company much more if she is left uneaten."

Caroline's coccoon shifted. "This would be the fifth time she's moved" Zia said "This could take a while. She's been under for twelve years...her Chrysalis is quite the exception to the rule. No one has ever been in Chrysalis for this long. Quite the exception..."

A sudden flare of energy nearby. Divis Mal had teleported into the chamber; all attention turned to him.

"Caroline..."

He came close to Caroline's coccon, which shifted again at his presence. Kneeling down, he said "So its finally happening. All of our time and study is bearing fruit."

King Cobra is glad he is in shadowform at the moment. It prevents him from being observed as he gapes openly at Divis Mal. Standing, arms crossed over his chest, next to one of the few Novas in the Teragen - possibly in the world - capable of not just hurting him, but completely obliterating all traces of King Cobra from the world.

He surveys his feelings impassively and watches the Chrysalis of Caroline Fong.

Roach finds himself confused and hungry...two states that have been more frequent since meeting his new Teragen brethren. Staring at the scene he starts to speak, but in the pressence of Divis Mal, he feels compelled to hold his tongue. These experiences have been fun and new to Roach, who thought they would never come again after he mutated. Standing beside his new friends he feels a swell of excitement and pride.

He manages to utter.

"So...Mr. Envy, what do we do now?"

In little more than a whisper...

For a moment, even Envy feels a pang of jealousy for Divis Mal's might. The Terat patriarch's presence is so...raw, and regal. Then he reminds himself that, like all men of greatness, Divis has worked hard and sacrificed much to achieve his place. How fortunate they were to have such inspiration, showing them what is possible...

Envy stands tall and proud before Mal.

"Divis. It is good that you are present for her emergence, that she might be welcomed by a familiar face. Unfotunately I cannot report all glad tidings...it would seem that your very own Apostle is proving treacherous. Synapse, if you would, please show Mal what we just witnessed in the other room."

"So...Mr. Envy, what do we do now?"

"We watch history unfold. In a few moments, we shall welcome our elevated sister back into the world."

Synapse's bodily projection disappeared, and a nearby screen turned itself on. The cyberkinetic played Turncoat's earlier outbursts for everyone in the room to watch. When it ended there were a few moments of silence. Mal stared into space afterwards, a hand at his chin, thinking.

Zia broke the silence "I knew it! That bastard Deloremier! He's responsible for this! Divis, some of us have always suspected Deloremier. The Count, Pedro, and myself, just to name a few. Caroline's capture, our raid on Bahrain...all because of him. The pieces fit. We have to do something about him. This can't go unpunished!"

"No" Divis responded "This most certainly cannot go unpunished..."

He let out a tired sigh and his expression changed to one of disgust. He then turned his back to the group, his face hidden. "But what crime is it that you see, doctor? And exactly who is the guilty party? Deloremier? Perhaps Deloremier understands better than you give him credit for. Perhaps he understands that weakness cannot be tolerated any longer. He possesses the will and initiative so many others have been lacking."

"The guilt lies soley on me, I'm afraid."

Zia was stunned. "Divis...you...you can't be serious? I don't understand. Are you condoning him? All of this research, all of this study...we went to such great lengths to retreive Caroline's body, and we've spent years trying to pull her from her Chrysalis. She established the philosophy of Teras...so many in the movement look up to her for guidance, even in her Chrysalis--"

Mal turned and narrowed his eyes. "That is exactly the problem."

Caroline's cocoon shifted. Mal walked closer and placed a hand on her forehead. "My time spent watching over Caroline has been one of sad reflection. My children have yet to find their way. They argue and struggle with one another, while our enemies bear down on us and the future looks ever more bleak. I would love nothing more than to let my children find their own path, but they refuse to. And I have come to a crossroads. If I do nothing, my children will lose their way. It is not enough for me to tell them to find the path on their own. I must show them the path."

"I understand this now, looking at Caroline. So many look up to her, yet what has she given them as an example? Failure? Are they to worship failure? Is this what I want my children to do, Doctor Zia? To fester within their own failure? To accept anything other than the greatness within?"

"Caroline has come to represent everything that is wrong with the Teragen. She stays rooted in place, unable to fly. Why does no one understand this? She will never fly. She will emerge from Chrysalis, and everyone will congratulate her, welcome her...seek to emulate her. She will become their misguided inspiration. And in so worshiping her, they will be accepting that weakness is tolerable, and the movement will fall apart. It is not tolerable. Not any more."

"I will not tolerate weakness..." The noise of bristling fibers came from Caroline's cocoon. Divis Mal stepped back to observe, his face unchanged.

An arm emerged, ripping itself free. And in a flash of radiant light, the creature known as Caroline Fong stood naked in her pod, her cocoon burst to shreds. Butterfly-like wings of energy emerged from her back, and her skin had taken on a light pink tone. Her body was lined with swirling patterns and her eyes were replaced with orbs of hot white energy. Her frame swirled with pure quantum. She was at once stunningly powerful and stunningly beautiful. Her eyes opened slowly to look upon Divis Mal.

Divis raised a hand towards Caroline, and it glowed a deep red. His words were a combination of conviction and sadness. "The strong must prevail. The wise must preside. The enlightened must guide us onward. And of these three, my unfortunate Caroline, you no longer apply."

Caroline's face barely had time to register emotion before she was engulfed in plasma. The Mother of Teras let out a scream. But nothing could be done. When the ball of fire dissipated, nothing remained.

Divis was still for a moment. He had almost forgotten that he was not alone. His face turned to the others in the room.

Envy looked askance at Divis. ::ohmy

The horror of what he had just done...the beauty he had just smote down...it was overwhelming. Yet somehow, Envy knew, it was only the strong and fearless that Divis would respect.

Visibly angry, Envy decides the only thing to do is speak his mind. ::angry

"I refuse to speak for anyone else, but she was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Those wings... Perhaps she would have flown had you not cut her down in her moment of triumph. Is this the example you seek to give us Divis? I volunteered to be here, to protect her, and what danger does she face than the one she most loved and trusted... Now, all the insight she had gained in the last 12 years is forever lost to us, before she could utter one word. And to condone Delormier??? I will no longer give him the honor of his Nova name...such self-serving treachery is patheticly baseline."

"What do you want from us Divis? I agree there are too many sycophantic slackers in our ranks, and not enough courageous idealists, but who will step forward in courage if you are so slow to listen and so quick to judge? Is there no room for patience and compassion in this enlightement you claim to want for us? What of knowledge and ideas? Have we struggled and fought so hard to rise above the primitive primates only to find the law of might makes right? Will you destroy all who disagree with you and your timetable? If that is so, then go ahead and immolate me here and now. I have no fear of Death."

"Son of a--!"

Not as instantly eloquent as his friend Envy, but equally enraged, King Cobra actually snaps his torso towards Divis Mal and solidifies, telegraphing the beginning of a vicious clawed backhand before restraining himself. ::ohmy

"What do you want from us Divis? I agree there are too many sycophantic slackers in our ranks, and not enough courageous idealists, but who will step forward in courage if you are so slow to listen and so quick to judge? Is there no room for patience and compassion in this enlightement you claim to want for us? What of knowledge and ideas? Have we struggled and fought so hard to rise above the primitive primates only to find the law of might makes right? Will you destroy all who disagree with you and your timetable? If that is so, then go ahead and immolate me here and now. I have no fear of Death."

Cobra lets Envy get through most of this, but then when he gets to "rise above the primitive primates," starts yelling at Divis again, with two interjections.

"'Weakness is intolerable'... You sound like an asshole!"

If Roach was confused before, his current state could only be explained as utterly lost. He looks at this strange yet alluring creature emurge from its cocoon. Only to be blasted away by the leader of the movement. He simply did not understand. He felt a sense of pain for the destroyed Terat, only in the sense that she was destroyed so completely after working so hard to arrive. When Envy began to speak, Roach merely listened, but as his conversation with this Divis Mal became more enraged, Roach felt his own demeanor change as well. As Envy's sworn protector and friend, Roach also became enraged, he felt his lips separate to bare his sharp and uneven teeth. He knew this character Divis, would be neither impressed nor intimidated...but Roach felt the same about him. Even though he bore a great presence, Divis Mal was no different to Roach than any other Terat...except that he had angered his master.

"What would ye 'ave me do Mr. Envy?"

As Roach began to speak, his acidic saliva dripped from his mouth sizziling holes into the floor. He was clearly on the edge of action!

"What would ye 'ave me do Mr. Envy?"

"There is no more that can be done here, Roach. We shall grieve for what we have lost and then move on, as is nature's way. Though we may be gods on Earth, Divis has just given us a reminder that we are but mortal ones. We will go, and use this reminder as fuel to stoke our fires, redoubling our efforts for the time we have been given."

Divis was not surprised by their reactions. In fact, he expected them. "Your responses only prove the importance of eliminating Caroline from the movement. In the space of a second, you went from passive to passionate. This is exactly what I want. I want passion for the movement."

""Now you're ready to take action. Now you want something to be done. Well? Do something. Don't be the tree that stays rooted in the ground, never moving, never changing. Don't be the simple beast that waits, defenseless, for danger to find him. Act upon your convictions, dammit! Use whatever methods you feel are necessary, but act! Forces press on every side, and if every one of you doesn't get your proverbial 'shit' together the movement will die!"

Zia finally spoke up. Until this moment, he had remained frozen in disbelief. "Divis...I understand your need to move forward, to take action. And I agree. But how can we move forward with people like Deloremier--"

"So you want Deloremier to suffer for his actions? You feel the movement is better off without him?"

"Well...yes."

"...then kill him."

Zia fell silent again.

"As of this day, the Teragen is undergoing its own Chrysalis. This is not a time to play nice, nor is this a time for patience and compassion. Those who hold the movement back will be killed, and those who pull it forward will usher in a new era for all novakind. There are many voices within the movement, but none of them can agree on what to say."

"When this ordeal is over, only one voice shall be heard."

Divis Mal's body wrapped itself in plasma, then vanished.

Envy wanted to reply to Divis, to dialogue with him, but it just wasn't possible to interpose when he spoke. Such was the weight of his terrible presence.

In his mind he railed against the judgements being put upon him. *Dispassionate?* Divis was blinded by his own brooding...and Jesus! could he go on and on. Even porr Zia was dismissed, interrupted and then...Divis dropped his bomb.

Envy was silent. Inside, he had already begun to extrpolate scenarios from what Divis had just said, playing events through and selecting the most probable.

"When this ordeal is over, only one voice shall be heard."

As soon as Divis leaves, his supernatural hold of attention vanishes. Without missing a beat, Envy speaks to the singed air..

"And now we know who's it will be...."

Suddenly regarding the other's Envy addresses them.

"You heard the Man. The kid gloves just came off. And just like the Null Manifesto too...Damn! Always jumping the ****ing gun!...Divis has just declared Civil War within th Teragen. We will have to move even faster now. This won't stay secret for long, and being the first to know gives us an advantage if we act now. Not only that, but once the Directive and Utopia find out, they will strike and we shall be besieged from without AND within."

"Apothecary, when Leviathan finds out the new "Law," he may seek to act on some of his more radical ideas and that means you become a target. Watch your back...In the meantime, Delormier will be having a field day...time for him to pay back all those old slights. Speaking of which, I think its time we took care of Turncoat. You got a fix on Hooks, Synapse?"

Archived