Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - What Lies Beneath

Blue Thunder

[Prometheans Unbound, Chapter 1 - Brave New World

Branch 2 - What Lies Beneath

Player Characters: Leiko, The Colony, and Kyle

Setting
-
A small office building outside Fort Worth, Texas.
The Church of Michael Archangel has several hidden "administrative" offices like this one throughout the United States of America, used to coordinate their efforts and funding. The building isn't publically known as being part of CoMA but Count Raoul Orzaiz and Narcosis' spies have infiltrated it and unearthed the information about Erik.
The building looks average on the outside; two stories, a parking lot, and benches for workers to sit at during break. The building itself is called
Henderson and Son Heating and Air Repair
. The business is actually legitimate and has workers, but the owner (Robert Henderson) has allowed CoMA to use the building as a cover for their purposes.
Beneath the building itself, CoMA has added two underground levels. The first level is where CoMA keeps several offices and a meeting room used for administrating certain aspects of the church. The second underground level is just a hallway with one room: the room that houses Erik.
It is a Saturday, so the building is assumed to be unoccupied. The building itself is simple to break into, with only a password-enabled electronic lock on a steel door leading to the basement proving to be any kind of obvious obstacle. Security is light because no outsiders suspect
what lies beneath
The team is accompanied by Jenny "Speck" Fynn, a Casablanca that has been working for Orzaiz since the Teragen movement began. She used her shrinking abilities to infiltrate the building several months prior, and managed to extract several files from the church's archives during that time.

Goal
- Orzaiz and Pedro "The Mathematician" Santiago have made the mission very clear: Erik is to be contacted, then he is either
rescued
or
killed
. They've kept this mission from certain other Terats in the movement. Scripture, Narcosis, and Synapse know of the mission, and they helped plan it at various stages, but Orzaiz doesn't want Erik falling to Terats like Tarik or The Apostle.
The mission's goal sounds cruel, and it very well may be. But none can confirm if Erik has been brainwashed by the Church of Michael Archangel to hunt down latents or if he was being held against his will, and no one knows how he would feel about working alongside the Teragen. Orzaiz believes Erik was faking compliance all along, for whatever reason. Narcosis believes he may have come to his senses only recently, making his immediate rescue important. Scripture suspects that the church has brainwahsed Erik so badly that only the Cult of Mal can help him.
Whatever the case, the team has to contact Erik. If he is still devoted to CoMA's beliefs, he needs to be killed so that no more latents die. If he is willing to come with the team, or shows signs that he wants to leave, then he is to be taken away through Kyle's warphole. Erik's powers are of great importance to the movement, but if he cannot be swayed to the Teragen, then he will only fall into enemy hands and be used as a weapon. Orzaiz doesn't want to think about what would happen if Proteus or The Directive acquired him.

The Start
- The security cameras were shut off an hour prior to the break-in thanks to Synapse, who manually cut the power himself. Speck had a keysmith make a copy of the building's keys to get the team through the front door, but the electronic lock for the steel door to the basement needs to be overcome; it's seperate from the building's power, so Synapse cannot reach it (and does not have the time to do it, with the Michaelite attacks happening).
The team has been urged to be as quick as possible. There is no time limit to the break-in per se, though there is
no
guarantee that an employee or Michaelite won't stop by for a visit. After all, Erik gets food and clothes delivered daily by his caretakers...

Jenny "Speck" Fynn was wearing her "every day" clothes, which meant some blue jeans, a white shirt, and a long brown jacket with her hair in a ponytail. She didn't see the need to dress like a comic book villain and scare a potentially damaged child, so she left the Eufiber suit at home.

She quickly led the trio of Prometheans to the steel door. The interior of the building itself looked like she had remembered it from earlier infiltrations: a front desk, a few office rooms on the first floor, a break room, and a door leading to the repair truck garage.

"Here it is" she said as she led the group to the door "I never got the password for this thing; I didn'thave the time, thanks to the Michaelite attacks. We'll either have to figure it out now and unlock it, somehow, or smash the thing in. I'd prefer to be subtle, though. We don't want that kid thinking we're boogeymen."

The Colony views the door and rifles through his memories, while he's never personally had to go through an electronic lock he's pretty sure a number of his components have. Disabling it might be as simple as pouring water into it. Also Horton might have known what the password is, or where it was stored.

(Intrusion Roll Please)

He comments,

"If they were total idiots they might have written it down and left it on a sticky inside the desk."

(If nothing else comes to mind Bob will check the desk).

Kyle hasnt spoken much after the initial meetings, though he has let everyone know that what skills he had were at thier disposal. He was wearing his eufiber suit though he has it shaped into a fairly 'normal' fasion. His face and eyes were likely to draw more attention than it would.

Whatever the case, once they get to the door he nods to Specks comment and then while he does allow Colony to examine the lock first, he does make sure to tell him "If you have any trouble with it, let me know. I know a fair deal about such things. It shouldn't be much of a problem to get through." Otherwise Kyle just waits quietly for the moment, however he does look over things thoroughly as he waits.

(Awareness roll, spending a quantum point to activate his Electomagnetic Vision)

Leiko watches the two men play with the lock on the door, and raises an eyebrow. "Does it matter if we leave the door behind? It would be rather easy to turn it into something like, say, cotton candy, or tissue paper." If they fail, she`ll use Molecular Alteration to transform it into something rather soft and easy to break through.

The Colony views the door and rifles through his memories...

You somehow know that this kind of lock can't just be "picked"...if you had the right tools and electronic equipment, you could overcome the computerized system. On the other hand, you notice there aren't any signs of traps or explosives on the door. At least...none that are apparent from this side.

"If they were total idiots they might have written it down and left it on a sticky inside the desk."

Checking the nearest office desk reveals nothing in relation to the door, or to the Michaelites for that matter. Not even a mention of Piper or Horton.

Otherwise Kyle just waits quietly for the moment, however he does look over things thoroughly as he waits.

Your searching reveals much the same as The Colony's; the business above-ground manages to avoid any mention of the Michaelites below-ground.

"The one thing that bothers me is it's probably built to kill him if he gets to... frisky. It'd be real easy to put a couple of bricks of c-4 hooked up to a motion sensor."

Speck responds "Actually...I did manage to sneak down there once when a caretaker opened the door, by hiding in a pocket. I was down there for about fifteen minutes, until the caretaker left. I didn't get a look at Erik..."

"But...here's the thing: I didn't see any locks on the inside of the door. Erik can walk out at any time. There is a basic key-lock to his bedroom door, but if he has the power to reduce a person to a pile of flesh like Piper's journal suggests, then I'm sure he can take down a simple wooden door."

"I fear the poor kid stays down there because he feels he has to. He's surrounded by religious zealots every day, and it seems his parents were even worse, if you can imagine--"

If they fail, she`ll use Molecular Alteration to transform it into something rather soft and easy to break through.

Aaaaaand the door is now silly-putty.

"...well then..." Speck says "Shall we? He's in the second basement level."

With a strong pull, the already sagging door falls over and lands with a flopping thud, freeing the doorway to the basement levels. Speck turns on the light switch to the hallway, leading the characters towards Erik's door.

The basement looks rather spartan; there are four unmarked doors, and the temperature is colder than it is above-ground. The air has a dusty scent to it as well. At the end of the hallway, a door leads to a small spiral stairway going down. The stairwell's light flickers, and the linoleum floor at the bottom has thick layers of dust where it meets the walls, probably because the room isn't cleaned on a regular basis.

And at the bottom of the spiral staircase is a white door. The lock requires a key, which Speck presents in her hand. She turns to the group to see if anyone has any suggestions before heading in, but she doesn't say anything out loud.

"I fear the poor kid stays down there because he feels he has to. He's surrounded by religious zealots every day, and it seems his parents were even worse, if you can imagine--"
The Colony says,

"Sounds like we need an authority figure without rubbing his face in it, maybe one older than his parents and from a slightly different religion."

((Shapeshift roll... assuming at least 1 succ)

'Bob' shifts into a much older but still spry woman, perhaps 80. Then his clothes shift into those of a nun.

Aaaaaand the door is now silly-putty.
The Colony admires in a low voice,

"Wow, you're useful."

And at the bottom of the spiral staircase is a white door. The lock requires a key, which Speck presents in her hand. She turns to the group to see if anyone has any suggestions before heading in, but she doesn't say anything out loud.
((Activate Perfect Guest))

'Bob' shifts into a much older but still spry woman, perhaps 80. Then his clothes shift into those of a nun.

Kyle pauses only a moment before he lightly shakes his head. "That may not be the best idea. We know Erik has special sensory abilities. He may be able to see through your disguise. Not to mention, hes already been deceived enough by the Michelites. If we are going to 'win him over', then honesty very well may be the best policy in this case. We shouldnt try and deceive him any more than is absolutely nessesary." For example Kyle didnt even think it was nessesary to mention that it probably wasnt a good idea on the other hand to tell them that they were under orders to kill him if he didnt cooperate.

Kyle shrugs in responce.

"Were a nun I believe would be the better way to put it. And then only a 'part' of you. Im aware of your basic abilities. But reguardless, once again I should mention that we are dealing with a child here. Theres a chance he wont understand such things as well as many other novas. It may be best simply to allow miss Takei....." He nods to Leiko. ".....to primarily handle speaking with Erik and try and convince him to help us." Again Kyle looks to Leiko. "That is as long as you have no problems with doing so? From what I know your fairly good at such things, correct?"

((Activate Perfect Guest))

((Done. But you know it only works when interacting with a group of similar people, right? It doesn't account for individual interactions. Appearance Alteration, Seductive, or Seductive Looks would work though, since they play off induvidual desires.))

((After BlueNinja replies with Leiko's actions, we'll open the door, unless you guys want to plan more or discuss.))

The Colony admires in a low voice,

"Wow, you're useful."

Leiko smirks, and gives a slight bow. "I'm not just a pretty face, g*crackle*."
"It may be best simply to allow miss Takei....." He nods to Leiko. ".....to primarily handle speaking with Erik and try and convince him to help us." Again Kyle looks to Leiko. "That is as long as you have no problems with doing so? From what I know your fairly good at such things, correct?"
Leiko nods, takes a deep breath to center her will, and takes the key, opening the door (and turning on the light, if it's not already on). "Erik? Are you still in here?"

Kyle nods and allows Leiko to go first, though he follows quick behind to examine the room once they were inside, though of course remains silent for the moment.

(Awareness roll again, just in case theres anything anything even worth mentioning. I believe Kyles Electromagnetic Vision would still be active.)

Leiko nods, takes a deep breath to center her will, and takes the key, opening the door (and turning on the light, if it's not already on). "Erik? Are you still in here?"

The door opened easily, letting out a noise as the hinges creaked. The overhead light panels were already on, brightly illuminating the entire room. The soft hum of an active air conditioning unit was the only sound coming from within.

The room was small and furnished very simply. From the door, there was a bed and a bookshelf to the left side and a fireplace on the right side. Several potted plants sat around the room, and a large brown rug dominated the floor. And directly in front of the door, sitting against the opposite wall, was a table with a wooden chair. And sitting on that chair was a person; Erik. He waited several moments before closing his Bible, standing from his seat, and turning to face the group.

Erik stood about five and a half feet tall and was wearing straight black pants and a blue long-sleeve shirt. He had blue eyes and medium-length blond hair that was combed back, and his face had an innocent quality to it. His skin was paler than it probably should have been and his frame was quite thin as well. His face had a calm and relaxed look to it; if he was surprised by the group's arrival, his expression didn't show it. Erik also looked older than Piper's journal suggested he was; he looked to be in his late teens, at least.

"Yes, I am here..." Erik's voice was slow and had a soothing tone to it, and it bordered on monotone. He took a small step toward Leiko, and his eyes seemed to glimmer. "You've come to take me, but you don't follow the Archangel Michael. Or you wouldn't have altered the door. You are...novas."

((At this point I assume the entire group has entered? If you don't, that's fine.))

(Awareness roll again, just in case theres anything anything even worth mentioning. I believe Kyles Electromagnetic Vision would still be active.)

Using your vision magnification ability, you could see that the books on the bookshelf had collected enough dust to imply that they had not been moved, at least not in the last few months. You noticed several book titles as well: Dante's Inferno, The Old Man and The Sea, The Brothers Karamazov, Moby Dick, and two dozen others. Of the books in his collection you have read, they seem to be of an existential or spiritual manner.

Kyle would move into the room and then moves to the side so the others could enter (assuming he entered before Colony and Speck) but otherwise would just stay close to the wall next to the door. And after he has a good look about the room, he turns his attention to Erik, remaining silent and letting Leiko handle the talking however he would make sure to watch Erik very closely.

(Again just in case theres anything extra worth mentioning, might as well make one more Awareness roll on Erik. And also, from this point make fairly continuous Rapport rolls, both to see if his emotional state might not be what it seems on the surface, and then Kyle would continue watching him for any changes he might be able to pick up as the conversation continues.)

"Yes, I am here..." Erik's voice was slow and had a soothing tone to it, and it bordered on monotone. He took a small step toward Leiko, and his eyes seemed to glimmer. "You've come to take me, but you don't follow the Archangel Michael. Or you wouldn't have altered the door. You are...novas."
Leiko gives a short bow, keeping her eyes on him. "I am Leiko, and like you, we are novas. But I suspect you knew that already?" (Diplomacy roll, please; I want him to see Leiko herself as being openly harmless.)

Leiko gives a short bow, keeping her eyes on him. "I am Leiko, and like you, we are novas. But I suspect you knew that already?" (Diplomacy roll, please; I want him to see Leiko herself as being openly harmless.)

((In this case, it would be an Etiquette roll, since Diplomacy is for negotiations and such in a more diplomatic setting. If you start negotiating or politely debating something with him, it'll apply. So if you want to apply Etiquette, you just rolled 1 success.))

Erik smiled slightly. "You are...Teragen aren't you? I can tell. You all have...a different glow than the others."

His eyes moved to the rest of the group, then back to Leiko "You have come all this way to meet me. Why?"

(Again just in case theres anything extra worth mentioning, might as well make one more Awareness roll on Erik. And also, from this point make fairly continuous Rapport rolls, both to see if his emotional state might not be what it seems on the surface, and then Kyle would continue watching him for any changes he might be able to pick up as the conversation continues.)

Awareness: 11 (!)

You notice nothing exceptional, aside from the bizarre circumstances of your presence and the underground bedroom itself. Erik's physical appearance is pleasant though, given his situation. His hair and skin look perfect and his clothes are well-kept. He's likely one of many novas that gained an increased attractiveness due to eruption.

((In this case, it would be an Etiquette roll, since Diplomacy is for negotiations and such in a more diplomatic setting. If you start negotiating or politely debating something with him, it'll apply. So if you want to apply Etiquette, you just rolled 1 success.))
((Ah. Um ... I guess I'm just used to Diplomacy being for when you're trying to convince someone with the truth, with Subterfuge being trying to convince someone with lies.))
Erik smiled slightly. "You are...Teragen aren't you? I can tell. You all have...a different glow than the others."

His eyes moved to the rest of the group, then back to Leiko "You have come all this way to meet me. Why?"

Leiko glances back at the others, and steps forward towards Erik in what she hopes is a friendly manner. "Yes, we are Teragen. We have come to talk to you because you are a seemingly unique nova. We wish to learn more about your powers, and convince you to leave this place, so that the Church of Michael Archangel will no longer be able to kill innocent people based on what they might do. Will you hear us?"

((Right now, I'm wishing I'd taken Persuader instead of Conflicting Accounts. ::wacko Oh well.))

"Help me?" He chuckled and revealed a devious smile. He suddenly seemed more adult than his face had led the group to originally believe. "You think they are using me? I am using them."

Speck's expression changed to that of concern "Wait...you...willingly kill latent novas? If you're using the Michaelites, then why do you kill latents for them? You're only helping their cause..."

Erik looked Speck in the eyes "Because there are those that don't deserve to glow like we do."

He addressed Leiko. "You see, the Church of Michael Archangel is right. Latents need to be stopped, before they erupt into novas. I simply choose to let certain latents live without telling the church. As long as I help them silence a new latent every few months, they keep me secure and hidden. I stay here only as long as I choose to."

"So, I'll hear you. You want to take me away, and use my powers. Why should I leave with you, and give up my quiet existence here?"

*****Kyle*****

Rapport: Erik's emotions change instantly, and without warning. First he seemed like a damaged teenager, now he's starting to shoed that disguise. It's hard to determine how he'll react to something.

Outwardly, Kyle seems to remain basically calm, still just silently leaning back against the wall. However internally he trys to assess things as quickly as possible before taking any other actions, while at the same time continuing to watch Erik the best he can.

First Kyle would try to determine, if he was able, if Erik was actually mentally unstable, or simply much smarter and more manipulative than he was originally given credit for. And second, Kyle also trys to calculate the wisdom of possibly using his telepathy to contact Eriks mind and learn more by 'scanning' it. While normally he was capable of doing so without others knowing, on the other hand he of course knew that Erik had some rather unique talents, and hes already heard of certain Novas that were more sensative to things like telepathy than others. And if Erik was able to 'detect' the intrusion, things could turn rather bad.

(A few intelligence rolls here, first as mentioned to see if Kyles enhanced intelligence can figure out if Erik was actually mentally unstable, or if hes just a rather good actor and has been manipulating CoMA the whole time. Or worse, both. And the second just what does his logic tell him about attempting to contact Eriks mind? Good idea or bad idea?)

*****Kyle*****

First Kyle would try to determine, if he was able, if Erik was actually mentally unstable, or simply much smarter and more manipulative than he was originally given credit for.

Rapport: Probably both. It's obvious that he's not the defenseless lamb that CoMA thought he was, and he's exhibiting the kind of behavior you wouldn't expect from a captive. But it's also very much possible that's he a bit mentally unbalanced. Of course among the Teragen, "mentally unbalanced" is sometimes seen as "enlightened" or "surpassing human."

And second, Kyle also trys to calculate the wisdom of possibly using his telepathy to contact Eriks mind and learn more by 'scanning' it.

Without understanding the scope of his quantum abilities (which have yet to be seen) this is not a good option. He may have potent mental abilities of his own.

*****Leiko*****

He isn't lying. If he was, you'd be able to pick up on it immediately. A good liar can always spot another.

Kyle considers the situation only for a moment before then deciding to telepathically contact Leikos mind (I believe no roll is needed if you simply want to speak to someone telepathically right?). There was a chance she could pick up on all this herself anyway, but better safe than sorry. So once the connection is made he'd tell her <Tread carefully. Not only does it seem as though he is much more intelligent than we assumed, but I also suspect he isnt very stable mentally either.>

And sure, while some Terats might indeed see being 'mentally unbalanced' as being 'enlightened' or what have you, Kyle wasnt one of them. He saw mental problems as what it was, damage to the brain or otherwise the brain not working quite like it should. In order to make a racecar for example better and faster than all its competitors, you dont damage parts of the engine. You improve them and make them better. Likewise for a Nova to become 'enlightened' and surpass humanity, thier brain doesnt need to get damaged. It needs to be improved.

The Colony asks with interest,

"Don't deserve it? Who do you cull?"

Leiko glances at Bob, arching an eyebrow, and thinking to herself, Damnit, I was going to ask that in a second. She also looks at Kyle, slightly annoyed that she had missed the part about him being telepathic.

"Don't deserve it? Who do you cull?"

"Those that don't understand...and never will. Those pathetic beings that will only waste their lives as elevated beings, doing more damage than good. I've watched Orzaiz explain himself on television. I've read the Apostle's views. I've seen the Primacy's message, and I understand what Geryon is doing, and I know what the Teragen represents. You want to enlighten novas around the world...to show them your light."

"But you won't be able to." Erik takes a step forward, his tone and expression getting serious.

"How many times have you struggled with Utopian novas? Or against elites? Corporate novas? Directive novas? They waste their lives serving baselines, when it is the baselines that should be serving novas. I know you understand and accept this."

"But for every one of them you convert, there are two dozen more that will...never...accept you. And because of this, your movement will die before it achieves anything helpful. The baselines will not share their world with you. You will fall, and the undeserving novas of the world will help eliminate you and then they will be eliminated in turn."

"These novas are baselines with undeserved power...yet they still outnumber you by a significant margin. They will never see your message, no matter how clear it is. Perhaps you waste your time trying."

"I've simply chosen a more pre-emptive path to solve what I see as a problem."

Kyle finally decides to speak up at this point. He was far from being any great charismatic speaker or anything, however Erik seemed surprisingly intelligent, and perhaps the key was to win him over through intelligence, not sugar coated words. So to start off, Kyle would simply ask Erik "And how do you judge if one does not and never will understand? For example, if you discovered a latent scientist who already worked for Utopia even before his eruption, would you deem him 'unworthy' and identify him to the Michelites?"

"Those that don't understand...and never will. Those pathetic beings that will only waste their lives as elevated beings, doing more damage than good. I've watched Orzaiz explain himself on television. I've read the Apostle's views. I've seen the Primacy's message, and I understand what Geryon is doing, and I know what the Teragen represents. You want to enlighten novas around the world...to show them your light."

"These novas are baselines with undeserved power...yet they still outnumber you by a significant margin. They will never see your message, no matter how clear it is. Perhaps you waste your time trying."

Leiko nods slightly, as she had somewhat come to the same conclusion. "There is another way to handle such novas. As you say, they see themselves as little *crackle* than baselines with power - massive power, sometimes - not as members of the One Race. We," she says, gesturing at the others with her, "are members of a new faction - the Prometheans. We *crackle* that some baselines will become novas, and we seek to ease their transition. To prepare them for what they will become, so that they can meet their true potential, not squander it in pointless battles, or endless parties in the Phoenix room. That is why we have come to find you. We wish your help in finding those who will be easiest to convince - and those who will be hardest. Will you join us?"

((now can I get a Diplomacy roll? ::biggrin ))

"And how do you judge if one does not and never will understand? For example, if you discovered a latent scientist who already worked for Utopia even before his eruption, would you deem him 'unworthy' and identify him to the Michelites?"

"Perhaps. Perhaps not. I could not say for certain unless I met him. But kill him for the Michaelites? I'll do whatever I need to do to ensure my survivial. If that means a latent dies every now and then, then so be it."

((now can I get a Diplomacy roll?))

((Yep. You got 8 successes, 6 of which came from mega-dice.))

Leiko nods slightly, as she had somewhat come to the same conclusion. "There is another way to handle such novas. As you say, they see themselves as little *crackle* than baselines with power - massive power, sometimes - not as members of the One Race. We," she says, gesturing at the others with her, "are members of a new faction - the Prometheans. We *crackle* that some baselines will become novas, and we seek to ease their transition. To prepare them for what they will become, so that they can meet their true potential, not squander it in pointless battles, or endless parties in the Phoenix room. That is why we have come to find you. We wish your help in finding those who will be easiest to convince - and those who will be hardest. Will you join us?"

He looked the group over. "...very well. To be honest, I do miss the sunlight. But I'll only help for as long as I choose to help you. And I don't need to be given orders, either. I'm not a tool to be used like with the Michaelites."

Speck rolled her eyes. She was done coddling him; he obviously wasn't a child. "The Teragen isn't a social club. We can protect you, but we have enemies. Enemies that want us dead. And lots of them. We need to know that you won't go running at the first sign of trouble. We need to know that you'll actually help us. Will you?"

He walked to his desk and put a pair of tight black gloves on, then turned to face the group again. "...I'll want all my books as well. But leave the Bible."

Speck asked "I thought you brought a Bible with you wherever you went. Isn't it important to you? And don't dodge my question--"

Erik dismissed her. "I seriously doubt the Holy Bible will help any of you. So, how are we leaving?"

Speck became irritated. Prick! I guess we'll just have to put up with him until he understands the Teragen better. Who knows, he might end up alright.

Kyle shrugs. Seems things turned out easier than he had expected. He'd let others deal with the kids attitude for now. He was asked to find Erik and get him to join the Teragen if possible. And it seemed that has been done. "I can provide the 'transportation'. Just get everything you need ready first. Its not always easy to keep my gates open for extended periods of time."

(By the way, I assume they would have been given a location to bring Erik should they manage to convince him to join correct?)

(By the way, I assume they would have been given a location to bring Erik should they manage to convince him to join correct?)

((Correct. The arrangement is for you to Warp to the Blackburn, a nova club in New York City.))

The Colony opens his mouth to say something... then closes it and nods approvingly.

Speck gave a sympathetic look to Bob, then focused on Erik again. "We can find you copies of these books later. We're going to take you to the Blackburn to meet a few people in the movement. The Count will be there, and I know he wants to meet you."

((Anything else you guys want to do here? If not, then I'll roll for Kyle's Warp with my next post.))

Kyle nods to Specks answer and assuming that was his 'cue', he then reaches under the coat part of his Eufiber suit was shaped into and pulls out a device. (For those that would be able to recognise it, it would be fairly similar to the GPS Telebeacon described in the Brainwaves file) Kyle would check over it for a few moments before then closing his eyes to concentrate, and a few moments later a 'gate' should appear in front of him.

(I'll go ahead and spend a willpower point on this as well. Kyle would prefer to get as close to thier intended destination as possible to avoid any further hastle with Erik)

Warp: 13 successes (!)

A warp hole widens in the middle of the room, leading into the Blackburn Hotel in New York City. Kyle's warp hole lasts 3 rounds.

((Assuming everyone goes through the Warp...))

The warp led directly into one of the upper-level apartments of the Blackburn. This room in particular was an office for Orzaiz. The walls of the office were lined with nature scenery paintings of an unknown origin, and most of the furnishings were of wood. Windows ran along the right wall but were hidden behind heavy curtains. A long desk sat at the far end of the room, and behind it sat Count Raoul Orzaiz. Off to the Count's side, set into the wall, was a computer monitor. The Count sat watching it as the group entered; only when they came close did he pause the video and turn off the screen with a remote and turn to the Terats before him.

The video the Count was watching looked like a recording or live feed of some kind. Was that Divis Mal on the monitor? He was in some kind of laboratory room, with several other figures. It appeared as if some kind of argument was taking place just as Orzaiz paused it. What was going on?

The Count's face looked pale for a few moments, after which he collected himself and returned to his usual confident and charismatic demeaner. He stood from his chair and walked around to the front of the desk. Looking at the newcomer, he smiled. Looks like everything went well on their end, the Count thought to himself. But I do hope Envy doesn't get ahead of himself.

Speck cleared her throat and introduced their guest "This is Erik. He has agreed to join the movement. There weren't any complications getting him. No guards or nova interference. And no way to trace it to us. The Michaelites offered suprisingly little in terms of security. It was actually too easy."

"You're Count Orzaiz." Erik said "I don't know how much help I can be in the larger picture, but I'll do what I can...assured that I'll be safe. I don't want to be put in danger..."

"To the point aren't we?" Orzaiz replied "Your ability sets you apart from typical novas, Erik. While you aren't the first nova to be able to detect quantum latency, you're the first that we've become aware of that can sense it on such wide a scale. Your contribution to the movement is not something I will take lightly. I'll personally see to security for you. For now though, I'll need to arrange things."

Erik let out what seemed to be a smile. His face beamed with joy, and Orzaiz smiled in response.

Orzaiz addressed the others. "I can't thank any of you enough. You're free to stay at the hotel, of course. Terats can stay here for free, as long as there's room. It's Saturday, so later tonight the club downstairs will be packed with club-goers. I prefer to leave before the party starts though, as the Blackburn's weekend crowd is far to rowdy for my tastes. I heard Narcosis will be downstairs later, if that matters to any of you."

Archived