A rough decision

archer

Well folks, here it is: After much deliberation, I've decided that I no longer really want to run EON. I love this community and all the people, and I'm supremely proud of the site itself. But...I feel very strongly that I'm moving on to a new chapter in life, one which will take up a lot of my time and responsibilities.

My upper-level classes start in January, and I've a strong hunch that over the next year especially, I'll need as much mental energy as I can spare to make sure I excel in my chosen degree path. Add in a regular work schedule, and my time gets sliced even finer. The work n' school thing kicked my ass this semester, I'm not looking forward to it again.

I will probably still stick around as a member, maybe even as a Mod, if the new Admin looks kindly on me. But I just don't want to deal with the hassles anymore. The members here have been great. From newbs to Mods to ST's, I feel blessed to have had such a trouble-free and mature membership to deal with. ::smile

However, the forum software pisses me off to no end. It's buggy, and clunky, and nowhere close to user-friendly or intuitive(on the admin side, anyways). Upgrading it is a nightmare, as I've mentioned before.

Costs for the website aren't that bad. But, as my classes become more and more specific, tuition and material ends up costing more and more, and my finances only stretch so far. Let me be clear, though. My leaving EON has very little to do with money. Contributions are always nice, but I've striven to make sure EON was a free resource for everyone. It was for me when I found it, and I want to leave it that way.

This isn't goodbye, at least not right now. This is me telling you guys and girls what's up in my life, and hoping you all understand.

I want someone that I trust and respect to take over EON when I go. It's up for grabs, at my discretion. If you are interested in adopting EON, please let me know privately via PM, and I will discuss whatever details are needed.

Thanks for listening.

-Stephen

The King is Dead! Long live the King!

Seriously though...um...whats going to happen to Eon? ::unsure

Alex and Bahamut are the all time top posters...You seem pretty involved Sprocket...Who will carry on the torch?

And what of Brandt? Are we losing another teammate?

SkyLion, I must confess that my involvement with EON has been limited to only 3 of the ebook projects, a fair-sized chunk of some other original material and a comparitively minor amount of commentary. 95% of all that dealt only with Aberrant. So I'm not as involved with all of EON as I might appear.

AFA taking over EON, I simply have neither the resources nor the hardware to do so. Plus, I usually do well to fix minor problems on my PC - operating & maintaining a website is well beyond my limited computer skills.

As for what happens to EON? Here are a couple of guesses.

1- Someone here at EON volunteers to take over the operation of EON from archer (and actually has the capability & resources to do so) - there may or may not be an intermission in forum activity, depending on the details. Many sighs of relief are heard as business here at EON settles back down to usual.

2- Nobody competent (& with sufficient resources) applies to take over EON. Just about all the material from this site - the downloads, stuff from the forum pages, etc. - may be lost if it isn't archived. The finished ebooks & those projects still being developed are either hosted at other sites - most likely N!Prime - or are lost.

I know nothing about running a site either, even if I wasn't swamped between work and now school. BlueNinja is moving to Japan so he can't.

Who else? Phoenix? Bahamut? Alex? Others whom I haven't played with as much?

I *really* don't want to see Eon go away...

I wish it was just a matter of money, cuz then we could all chip in to help Archer...

I know Shade has experience running his DnD site and he may even have the time...just a thought (not to volunteer you buddy, just thinking out loud)

Totally understandable, Archer. All of us are grateful for your years of dedication.

Phoenix's resources:

One (1) laptop computer

No income whatsoever, short of whatever money he makes from poker

No computer knowledge to speak of short of what's necessary to use these forums

That said... I am very fond of EurOpNet. If no one else can possibly do it, then Archer should PM me and we'll see if there's any way I can take up the mantle in spite of my unsuitability.

Hey Arch, I hate to see EON go but I hope you get everything you are going for!!! It has been in my life for the past 5 years, through thick and thin.

I wish I could take over the site, but I am unsure wether I could afford it...and I *know* I dont have the time to do it. A post or three a day is what time my job leaves me (I ork at least 50 hours a week). I think I could keep it running (technical knowhow wise) but with little time, if something goes wrong I dont know how soon I would be able to get everthing back up.

Are we *really* going to lose the site???

My bad for not congratulating you on your work Archer. Im relatively a noob still but I know selfless service when I see it. Thanks for a great run!

I suppose we should start archiving what we can (how do we do that ::confused ) , but Im still hoping that someone will rise up and carry on...I would seriously do it if I knew how and had the time.

Is there a way, a few of us could pitch in, rather than just one, or is just one admin better?

Seriously...we can't give up now!

Rally! ::getsome

Alex, are you pregnant? ::confused

What about a joint Admin-istration, such as between Bahamut and me?

• I can't take care of the technical side alone, but if something comes up and Bahamut's too busy to fix it, I could probably take care of it with instruction from him or some knowledgable friend of mine.
  • I can't take care of the financial burden alone, unless it's truly negligible, which I doubt it is. Perhaps a PayPal button and yearly drives to take care of the fees could handle this?
  • Whatever admin responsibilities there are other than the financial and technical, I am more than willing to handle myself.
Rally!

If noone else will, I can and am willing to download all of the content of Eononline (including the forums) and put it out as a open resource at my website.

That however does not include me being Admin, becous between aranging the biggest graphic-con in sweden (or northern europe for that matter), being a full time student and working, Im pritty stuffed timewise.

Well done Archer, you've kept these here forums going when Chill decided to pass on the torch to you, and for that, we all thank you!

As for the site and Admin stuff, well its possible that I could help out; I no longer have the time constraints that I previously had, and I suppose that I could learn the software well enough... The only issue is that I don't have my own computer with an internet connection (I use a variety of computers at work and my friend's Mac (counter intuitive piece of crap!)), but I can certainly help out with the rest of the Admin duties. This site is the greatest Library of Alexandria for the Aeonverse, and it would be terrible if were to burn...

JC

Re: "How do we Archive?"

::blink It's no different from saving any other collection of web pages & downloads.

For forum threads, just save the pages individually, try using this: thread title-??, with ?? being the page number.

For the ebooks & such, simply download them & store them all in a folder.

For the other small stuff (power listings, fiction pages, etc.) just save them individually as web pages.

And that's archiving, the quick & dirty way. Hope this helps some, SkyLion.

Or go to "Options" (in the upper left corner) then "Download this thread" for thread downloading, note that this will cut out after a hundred or so pages. For all the other stuff Arch and Wish should be able to email them to you in a ZIP file (if you dont want to DL them yourself).

Well the running of the my other site is primarily left in the hands of someone else, but I suppose I could take a stab at it.

Hard to fill Archers shoes, and I'd prefer not to , but if it means that we don't lose the site...I'm game.

Either that or we can all go to my other site if need be. www.sorcererdork.com

Keep me in the loop...

Just to say folks, that I'd like to take over, an dArcher asked me - but I'm about to be switching to active sea duty, which means I'm supposed to be out to sea half the time over the next four years with more limited internet access. ::huh Otherwise I'd have jumped at the chance. From what he told me, it's about $150 a year total for the site.

I have experience running several message boards, but I'm no technical genius, to say the least. My experience lies more with the "interaction" aspect of being an admin. I wouldn't know the first thing about updating or editing a board. I'm also pretty much broke.

I would gladly take over the Admin role, but only if it was alongside one or two other people, so at least someone knows how to edit the board. I'm relatively new here (I haven't even been registered for more than 2 years) but I do like this place a lot. I seem to stop by every time I go on-line.

Question: what happens if the message board/site runs out of funding? Can't the message board still exist as a free account, just with pop-ups and banners? That would be better than nothing, I say.

Sorry to see you go...

If I'm not made Admin, I'll still settle for being made Mod of the Bright Continent sub-forum. You know, so I can edit stuff there.

I would gladly take over the Admin role, but only if it was alongside one or two other people, so at least someone knows how to edit the board. I'm relatively new here (I haven't even been registered for more than 2 years) but I do like this place a lot. I seem to stop by every time I go on-line.

While I don't have the technical know-how to update and maintain the site now, I do have a good friend who does and is as willing to teach as I am to learn. I would be happy to take a co-Admin position with a couple of others, and learn the ropes as we go. In fact, there is an obvious advantage to having multiple Admins; if one has RL issues that demand more time, then the others can take up the slack and eventually appoint a new Admin to replace the old one if neccessary.

As for the money issue, it would not be difficult to set up a PayPal account that members can contribute to help with the site costs (that way people can contribute whatever they can afford), obviously some can contribute more than others, but that isn't really the issue. We are a community and a rally round for cash has been successfully done in the past. None of us want to lose this site and these forums; we have too much creativity and hardwork for it to go the way of most of the other Aeonverse sites. Of course, every site has to close one day, but I think that there's life in the old dog yet!

::tongue

JC

That shouldn't be an issue. $150 a year is less than you pay for laundry soap in a year....heh. We'll figure something out. Let me know how much and when adn I'll shoot some cash over.

So we have the admin issue solved with JC and BT ? Or is there more?

Yeah, I may not be much good for the technical stuff, but cash I can definitely help with! If we can keep the site up and running, I can help with the "PayPal" stuff (don't know what that is, but I guess I'll learn).

Two jobs and 3.9 children.
Alex, are you pregnant? ::confused
Me? ::rolleyes Don't be silly. ::laugh

But my wife is and she's due this month (which might actually mean next month). On that subject I'll likely be dropping off the face of the world for several days without any warning.

I'm glad your life is moving along so well, Archer. We all understand RL priorities. I think its a good sign for the future of the site that so many are 'rally'ing together. ::biggrin

I also volunteer to send some money if/when we get a paypal set up.

Congrats Alex. Enjoy the new baby when it gets here. I'm sure we'll see ya sometime in the next year! ::wink

Congrats on the new kid, Alex. ::smile

AFA helping to pay for EON's upkeep goes, if payment via USPS money orders is acceptable, I'm willing to chip in. Friends of mine have had difficulties with PayPal, so it's not really an option for me.

Brings a smile to my face to see all you guys rallying around EON. ::smile

To let everyone know...the site's contract with our current webhost will be expiring in 27 days. That gives us all a little bit less than a month get everything together. More than enough time to decide on new Admins and fund-gathering, I think. ::happy

I can give you some better news though...the domain of Eononline.net will still be good until Sept 12 of 2007. Once all the details are figured out for who will be (mainly) in charge of EON, I will transfer the domain license to that person. One less thing for whoever takes over to worry about.

Hope that helps. ::cool

Thoughts:

PayPal is notoriously unreliable for things like buying and selling with strangers on eBay, but it should be fine for our purposes. It is, at the very least, both user-friendly and free. Archer, do you think the host would accept payment directly from PayPal, or what?

Cost is apparently not an issue (have I mentioned I love this community? I can donate too). If someone else can hold the domain license and at the very least guide me through updating the forums software, then I would be more than happy to take over the admin role on the forums.

So yay! Looks like we get to keep our web site! (And Alex is having a friggin' baby!) ::biggrin

Thoughts:

PayPal is notoriously unreliable for things like buying and selling with strangers on eBay, but it should be fine for our purposes. It is, at the very least, both user-friendly and free. Archer, do you think the host would accept payment directly from PayPal, or what?

Cost is apparently not an issue (have I mentioned I love this community? I can donate too). If someone else can hold the domain license and at the very least guide me through updating the forums software, then I would be more than happy to take over the admin role on the forums.

So yay! Looks like we get to keep our web site! (And Alex is having a friggin' baby!) ::biggrin

I can guide you through the forum software, and Wish and I are going to do whatever we can to make the transition to new ownership a smooth one. If it's at all possible, I would like to simply transfer the whole site and forums to the new owner whole, instead of needing to transfer anything. Basically, continue using the original webhost and forum software, but transfer the contracts into the new person's name.

I'm waiting on responses from the hosting company and forum provider as to how that could be done.

I guess our biggest hurdle is finding someone who can handle the technical aspects of the message board. I'm here at least once every day or every other day on a normal week, but I wouldn't know html from cave paintings. I'm also wonderfully broke since I just got laid off. But once I'm back on my feet, I'll be able to pay for stuff, since this is one of the only places I go on-line these days (and because I love the Aeon games too much).

Plus, I won't see Prometheans Unbound and Bright Continent pop away. No f'ing way.

I guess our biggest hurdle is finding someone who can handle the technical aspects of the message board. I'm here at least once every day or every other day on a normal week, but I wouldn't know html from cave paintings. I'm also wonderfully broke since I just got laid off. But once I'm back on my feet, I'll be able to pay for stuff, since this is one of the only places I go on-line these days (and because I love the Aeon games too much).

Plus, I won't see Prometheans Unbound and Bright Continent pop away. No f'ing way.

Well, I can handle the technical aspects in about 6-8 months ::biggrin

Has there been any word from software vender or the webhost?

Yes, sorry. The webhost will allow transfer of ownership with no problems, all we have to do is change the billing information.

No response yet from the forum vendor.

Happy for you Archer! It's been a good run since Chill's retirement and I still remember our Terry - John posts of intrigue with fondness...

Speaking of which...would it be possible to make .zip files of the game threads available? Both OOC and IC material...

I've tried to archive the QZ games and other games for some time. If I could have zip files of the games lying somewhere in my email account, I could always access it when I feel like reading some QZ or DoD.

EON seems to go through generations of users and admins...This isn't really unexpected as it seems that the old games have died and the new crowd has come forward...much like what happened in the Chill days. Harle, Senior Mal, Pax and others stopped posting and Chill eventually moved on as a few die-hard users remained while others joined the ranks...the cycle repeats..:)

Bahamut, Phoenix and Alex are the diehards this time ::tongue

I'm sorry if I haven't been posting, life goes on for me as well. Managing a few research projects as well as completing my LL.M. I still sneak in for a quick look at what's going on but I try to stay away from games...for now...

Not sure about producing zip files of the posts, but I'll look into it. As for the rest...good news! I can indeed transfer the license of the forum software as well. I just need the full name of whoever it's being transferred to.

So, pretty awesome, I'd say. I can transfer the site in it's entirety, forums and all, to whoever is willing to take responsibility for it. This will mean I will need their full name, and possibly their billing information, which is needed to switch the host billing to that person. That is, of course, if said person wants to continue using the same host I've been using. If they'd rather use a different host, that's fine, it just means there may be some downtime while I transfer all the site info to that person so they can upload it to their own webhost.

Let me know what you all want to do.

Archived