Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

Yeah, 40+60

As a note, I might not be to busy here for a few days, possibly a little over a week. I'm moving stuff back into my old house and settling in again. But I'll hop by when I can, ad you guys can still submit character ideas for approval via PM.

Hmmm...the 'J' thing is ironic! In a campaign I planned to run, I made up some Terats for my players to face. No one knew their original names, but they went by Jane, Janis, Janet, and Jack. I liked the characters, so I may reuse them here as handy NPCs and plot devices.

You guys don't need a group name just yet. I was thinking of running a Prologue before actual play begins where all the characters meet to form the group. Think of the Pantheon meeting in the Teragen book. You guys can la down the foundations and such.

Also, I know how long these message board games can take (since I've been snooping at the other games here), especially when battle starts. The NOLK will (likely) be a long drawn out event with lots of stuff happening at once, so you guys won't be there for everything. And we won't be roleplaying everything you guys do, specifically what happens between Chapters. Time will pass between them, maybe a month, maybe a year, and your character doesn't spend that time sitting on his hands...unless he likes the feel of his hands on his ass, then by all means, he does. But during this time you can not only spend your XP, but your character may be involved in other things. When you come back for another Chapter, your character may have undergone a new aberration, helped another faction kill a targetted Terat, started a business, gained some temp Chrysalis points, gained some temp Taint, undergone Chrysalis, etc.

But lets face the facts here...Chrysalis is hard to build up. It takes a long time. At the normal pace of pbp games, no one will get near Chysalis until a few years down the line. And who knows how long some of you will have been playing by then? So I was thinking that a Chrysalis point(s) could be awarded between Chapters, possibly at some cost like XP or something else. This is in addition to any gained normally. Does ths sound too powerful?

As for SkyLion starting elevated, I'm thinking instead he can just start with a little more Chrysalis than everyone else. That way he can do it maybe after the first Chapter or two.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some points for the rules lawyers:

Q-Construct mentions a cumulative penalty for using it repeatedly during one scene. I'd prefer for him to take automatic non-healable Bashing damage, rather than a +1 difficulty, for repeated uses. (ie, the second time he uses it, he takes one Bashing. The third time he takes two more Bashing. etc.)

I'm really not sure if that is too strong or too weak.

Arguments for too Weak:

One of your constructs has "Healing".

Arguments for too Strong:

You don't have Mega-Stamina so you get badly penalized anyway. From this stand point you'd be better off with just a +1 diff.

Lets do some math on letting people pay exp for temp C.

Idea: 1 exp for 1 temp?

10 exp => 1 Perm.

During Chrysolis they get 3 of that back (loss of 7) and also have access to the better chart. If you spend 30 exp during "C" you effectively get... 45, 50, 42, or 60 exp depending on what chart your using. Call it... 50 (average).

So going in costs 50, gives you back 15 (loss of 35), and you have to spend another 55 or so to break even.

-----------------------

Idea: 1 exp for 2 temp

5 exp => 1 Perm.

So that's a loss of 2 per point. With 5 Perm you lose 10 exp getting in.

So going in costs 25, gives you back 15 (loss of 10), and you have to spend another 15 or so to break even.

Creepy critter

Name: Casius Granger " Roach "

Appearance: Roach is of short stature 5'4" and of medium build. Most noticeably he has a disturbing skin abberation which leaves it quite greasy, a blotchy brown with chittinous plates visibly pushing through the skin.

Also his eyes, which are jet black, combined with his hairless body complete the package of strange. He can pass for normal from a distance, but without full clothing and coverage its obvious within 3 meters

Powers and Background: Casius was a career low level criminal, mostly unsuccessful. He was pinched several times and finally was used as a snitch for the Chicago PD. Making many enemies, and even less friends he attempted to flee his life and find a place he could start over. His erruption caused several biological changes to his already skeavy demanor and physical body. His skin separated, with chittinous plates pushing through in several places. His body became extremely tolerant of abuse and hardened for protection. His skin also developed a greasy coating which he suspects is secreted somehow, making him slipery. Another confusing, but occasionly welcome change, was his abillity to spit a corrosive substance great distances, desolving hard materials and flesh with relative ease. Obviously even more freakish than his baseline form, he joined the Teragen ranks in hopes of finding those that would accept him for his talents and obvious flaws. His devotion to his "brothers" is overwhelming and he seems to learn and grow more from various members. His body has changed but his mind is the same and he remains a creepy, shady character. This is of course offset when wit other members of the Teragen to whom he feels inferior and will defer to their ideas in most situations.

Ill give a quick blurb then as well...Not entirely done.

Jack is made completely of liquid metal and can manipulate his form however he wants. He joined the movement becuase he was doing something-or-other one day and came to the realisation that there were no nova born novas. He realises that Baselines need to be protected in order to protect the next generation of novas.

Like I said rought, but I havent been able to work on it much.

Shade Sentinel, your character idea reminds me of Toad from the X-Men (one of the coolest and most underrated villains of the series).

Hmmm...lotsa physically aberrant characters in here, I notice. That's fine; it adds more depth and irony to the fact that they're "protecting" normal-looking baselines.

I didn't notice this thread until just today, but if you guys still have room I wouldn't mind getting in on this action! I don't have a character concept to post yet since, like I said, I just noticed this thread, but if there is still room I'll write one up! This sounds VERY interesting....

For clarification: what's the NP/Exp limit?

Nevermind, just reread the posts. I see where it says 40+60.

So I was thinking about names and The Protectorate came to mind. As in we are protecting the seed stock of the Nova Race. Our detractors might call us Babysitters etc...

I like Phoenix's idea of shunning the faction status alltogether and being just like-minded Terats as in the original vision of The Pantheon. However this may not work once we start attracting others to our cause...a movement gets big enough and it needs to get organized or it becomes ineffective and fragments.

Just throwing that out there.

Oh and btw leaders dont have to be the most charismatic ones....for example, no way is Cyclops Mega-Charismatic in the way Gambit is. I have even heard Beast calling Scott Summers a Deadpan. Mostly hes just a nerdy kid. He does have high command and leadership skills but its more his mind than anything. Id guess he has some Mega-Int and Wits with tactical prodigy and synergy.

In the context of the Teragen, leader lead, so I plan to do just that...if anyone follows thats cool but its all about how commited the individual is to the cause. I say we keep it loose and informal and definitly philosophical.

As for my PC, its still gestating inside me so I dont want to put too much out there but sice people are putting out there archetypes (as in brick, energy projector, mentalist etc.) My idea is a PC type I have wante to play for sometime...which is a Rogue-like power absorber....stay tuned!

PS...someone said Divis was stage 3...Hes actually a Stage 5, having just recently emerged from his $th Chrysalis.

So, in bandwagon order we have Blue Thunder as ST, Myself, Alex Green, Phoenix, Blue Ninja, Bahamut810, Shade Sentinal, Archer. Cottus Centimane, and Fox for a total of 9 players.

I know BN has a seven player max in his games. I am sure he has good reason, so it may be a good idea, BT to check in with about the potential for problems or what its like as an ST to be flooded with PMs, posts etc...

For Cottus and Fox, Id like to say that I hope you can play. Its nice to see new faces around here as I am a newblood as well. For future reference and to be better informed, always click on View New Posts at top or Today's active topics on the bottom to see whats happening.

So Blue Thunder...How many players can you handle?

Also imprtant, since this will be your first Forum ST experience:

how often do you plan to post and what are your expectations from us? 1 post per day min is usually standard ettiquette though we all get busy sometimes so thats not set in stone.

For Cottus and Fox, Id like to say that I hope you can play. Its nice to see new faces around here as I am a newblood as well. For future reference and to be better informed, always click on View New Posts at top or Today's active topics on the bottom to see whats happening.

So Blue Thunder...How many players can you handle?

Well, if allowed to play I have a concept all ready to go that I've been itching to try out.

Re: Players

Nine players already?! I guess people really want to play Teragen. I guess we can close it here then. If someone drops out of the game later (their character dies, or they just leave for whatever reason) we can allow a new player in. Or not. We'll see.

Re: Frequency of Posting

I'd love to reply every day, but I can't guarantee that. Once I get settled into my job again, my weekdays will probably give me time to post here every day, but the weekends are always random...I might be free, I might be busy. If anything time consuming comes up though, I'll let you all know in advance.

As for you guys, I'm an understanding person. Your real life takes priority. If you don't think you can continue playing or don't think you'll be able to post often enough (like a few times a week) then tell me and I can run your character as an NPC, even if just for a month or so. No hard feelings.

::laugh

BT, keep in mind you can always separate the characters into two different cells if you want to avoid a massive, 9-player game but not have to turn anyone down.. By the way, my character sheet and history are forthcoming.

You mean like enemy cells? Or like two cells performing two different objectives?

I meant like two cells performing related, but different, objectives. ProfPotts seemed to prefer it, anyway.. Just an idea.

I wouldn't mind that, necassarily.

I just want to be one of the guys working with the new faction SkyLion was talking about.

It sounds really interesting to me.

Or he can kill people, not let them join, or wait for them to drop out if he feels that 9 is two many.

um...Id rather have him just put limit on PCs rather than just kill someone off just cuz theres too many...that would suck and isnt very nice either...

I have reworked my summons, slightly - replaced the 11 successes for one that IMO better fits, and added one for 20 successes, only because it is theoretically possible. Not likely, I admit, but possible. ::biggrin

No objections to "Cannibal" as a minority?
Since I believe that cannibalism is illegal in most nations, it should be a 3 point secret, of the type where if your party members find out, they'll gladly kill you. "Minority" implies that the persecution you face is due to bigotry, not criminal activity.
What did people think of the "exp => "C"" numbers?
I PM'd BT with what is IMO a more streamlined way to do Chrysalis.

Well, OK. Maybe "kill" wasn't a good choice of words.

No objections to "Cannibal" as a minority?

What did people think of the "exp => "C"" numbers?

No objections so long as you are semi-open about it. If nobody knows then its hard for them to react negatively ergo less of a flaw. But its a 1-pointer anyway so it doesn't have to be a huge deal.

I was planning on taking the flaw Minority to represent the prejudice against my PC's newfangled philosophy from some of the more taint-buttered factions....

MMMM....yummy! Taint Buttered! (I always thought that would be a great name for a campaign...

As for spending xp on C....I dont like it so much. C is supposed to give you xp (symbolizing evolution) not cost it. Id rather see points of C doled out as an adjucnt to xp when someone has really pushed their archetype.

BN...I couldnt help but notice that "Odin's" sword is a 5 dot aggravated quantum bolt....Does he throw the sword or what?

And sweet Jesus, Mary, and Joseph but Q-Construct is an almost broken power! Glad to have you on our side...

Since I believe that cannibalism is illegal in most nations, it should be a 3 point secret, of the type where if your party members find out, they'll gladly kill you. "Minority" implies that the persecution you face is due to bigotry, not criminal activity.
The point I'm making is his powers (kill with a touch) should make at least some people squeamish about how it's accomplished. He doesn’t electrocute people or make them drop dead, he shapeshifts them so they become part of him. Not everyone is going to feel that’s actually eating them, or have problems with it, but that’s a really grim special effect.

Actually according to an episode of Boston legal, Cannibalism is not illegal, so beware!

Also...Cannibal implies you eat your own species....If you eat Novas then alot of the Teragen is going to be after you...starting with Geryon and NV...

and if you eat only baselines, then you might be at odds with our faction.....

He's a former elite, elites on occassion kill other elites, and although he never made it into the top 100, yep, he's killed a few.

To be more clear he doesn't *have* to do this... but that's his big weapon, and that's what it does.

He's a former elite, elites on occassion kill other elites, and although he never made it into the top 100, yep, he's killed a few.

To be more clear he doesn't *have* to do this... but that's his big weapon, and that's what it does.

Does he actually eat them though?

Just curious. ::happy

Archived