Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

Actually, with Int 5 and M-Int 5, Kyle has a statistical average of 6.5 successes on Intelligence based rolls for abilities that he has no dots in at all... ::blink

His Medicine rolls would have an average of 8.5 successes. So, if he attacks the most difficult medical problems known to mankind (around +5 difficulty), he generally comes out with 3.5 successes left over that he can play around with. If he attacks some of the most difficult medical problems known to nova-kind (more than +5), he still more than likely has extra successes left over. ::wacko

Yes and no. Many of the most difficult questions simply don't have a solution. We lack the tools, or the choice is moral rather than one of intellect (resource allocation for example), or even there is no solution.

On the other hand, you were just handed a BIG brand new tool that no one else on the planet has access to, i.e. a nova who can detect pre-novas. You may also be one of the top 10 minds on the planet on a list that has Divis at the top. And note that effort also plays a HUGE roll in this sort of thing. Divis isn't known for his medical research any more. The DeVries brain is busy making guns.

Kyle is and should be a big mover and shaker on the world stage within his speciality.

Moving the conversation back to whether or not the clinic should be public... what does everyone think? I think we should avoid any grand anouncements and angle for putting us at about the same level as the Divis Malls.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to give all of you a heads up on something. I'm currently in the process of moving and I wont have internet access at my own place for a few weeks after it happens. As often as possible I'll be using wi-fi hotspots and the connection in my parents house to check my email and continue to RP with ya'll. I hope I'll be able to do this every day but once in a while I may not be able to post every day...I can assure you I'll be posting every other day (Im assuming its one turn gametime = one day real time). I give BT permission to act for me if I ever have an extended absence.

Sorry, I know this sucks cuz chap2 and my character are just about to launch. However, we all know real life trumps game life every single time. I hope to have the internet in my house set up within two weeks, a month at the latest.

BTW, you can consider my avatar as a character portrait. Its actually a stencil of Che, but the scruffiness and grin were too Loki to pass up.

I have a few things to contribute to the current discussion and I owe a few of you IMs. Its hard sometimes on the weekends cuz I work all day and then party at night, so hopefully I should get to all that tommorow, as Sundays are my rest days.

However, we all know real life trumps game life every single time.

Precisely. This game shouldn't be the reason you wake up every morning (though if it is, I'm still flattered).

Chapter 2 can hopefully start tonight (Sunday) since, like with Envy, I don't really have anything else IRL bogging me down so I can finish typing up the beginnings of the Branch threads. And maybe finish that Enclave thread I started...and then make that Sub-Factions thread I planned on making...and update some bios for Chapter 2...

As per BTs request, I posted the IC background material for Envy in a new fiction folder. BT decided that it was entertaining enough to merit 2 XP if I did so, and also because I think hes trying to motivate me to start writing more. Should do the trick... ::wink

Oh BTW BT, do you think you could compile the Branches from Chapter 1 into a chapter 1 folder for ease of reference? Looking at the topic progression things are getting sorta jumbled.

All three branches posted. SkyLion helped me by pointing out that I was typing "Flare" instead of "Firefly" for Branch 2, so I quickly editted. Not the first time either, I almost did it a few times in Chapter 1, Branch 1. They have similar names, with similar powers, and they're both connected to Jack's character...so I get their names mixed.

Anyways, I'm off to sleep...

Hnmmm...If we are waiting for them, think I should be a metal 'sheet' on the floor instead? It would be easier to engulf one of them then.

Any preference on who I should take? As long as thoes eyebeams dont kill me in the first shot I should be A-Ok taking Disintegration-guy out...

Envy, KC, I seriously hope you don't mind my putting you in that Flashback, and if you have any problems with it I'll edit it forthwith.

Bob has Hardbody, and if they're going to launch an AGG attack on someone, he's the obvious choice. Envy, if they can't see you, then I suggest you reserve your action and let them unload on Bob.

I dont mind the flashback at all Alex. In fact, Im pretty miffed that we went to the trouble of creating a plan and BT ignored it...There is no reason Envy would be dormed down in Trinidad and no reason to leak information as such so the scene as described is not aat all what I had in mind...pointless really. I sent BT a bunch of PMs stating as such (again apologies for sending so many, but I was tired and incoherent when I first saw the thread posted up)

Here is the plan that Envy (in his tactical prodigy-ness) suggested, and which I had thought was agreed upon....how BT decided Bob would be a maid and Envy would be dormed in Cuba, I havent the foggiest..

Envy acknowledges that he understood this time and responds.

"If I know anything about Delormier its that he won't waste any time if he thinks he has the advantage. I like all of your ideas and I think I may have a way to draw him out. Im planning on visiting my daughter soon...my baseline daughter..."

Envy pauses a moment to let that sink in.

"I know. Only a few of you had an idea, but if I am going to show my trust in you all, now is the time. If we let it leak that I will be visiting her, while dormed down, it may be just the opportunity Delormier is waiting for. No doubt he will send his four horseman, or possibly Clarion's Kabal, or both depending on his mood."

"Of course I don't need to tell you that I would never put my own blood in actual jepordy. That is why I will actually go to meet her in secret. For security reasons, Im still not comfortable with letting her actual location be known so you will forgive me that bit of privacy. When it is time for the public version...say, in two days time... Id like it if you could play her part Bob. If we're lucky, we'll be able to take out Marcel's vanguard troops, though from my intelligence he has plenty in reserve to take up the mantle of horseman..."

"What do you think Count? Could you arrange for this mis-information to credibly fall into Marcel's lap?"

((OOC...this is the more specific plan you asked for BT, regarding those tactical prodigy rolls...))

Hnmmm...If we are waiting for them, think I should be a metal 'sheet' on the floor instead? It would be easier to engulf one of them then.

Any preference on who I should take? As long as thoes eyebeams dont kill me in the first shot I should be A-Ok taking Disintegration-guy out...

Actually they will go straight for Envy...who is dormed and utterly vulnerable even if not dormed...that was the whole reason for "wearing" Jack...

Sorry to sound so ticked off, but I really had come up with a plan I thought would work and it was almost completely misinterpreted...Im not really sure what to do about it though, so I will refrain from posting IC until I can get a response from BT.

Actually they will go straight for Envy...who is dormed and utterly vulnerable even if not dormed...that was the whole reason for "wearing" Jack...
So maybe Bob could/should be a dormed down Envy?

Other questions:

1) Do they know what Envy dormed down looks like?

2) Do they know what Envy's daughter looks like?

If we need to leak that kind of info In order for the plan to work...

Seriously, I'm not comfortable with the idea of Envy being dormed down around someone who has Disin.

The original plan was for Bob to go with Envy to visit his daughter (Something I wanted to have happen on screen btw....if King Cobra and others get on screen time with their featured NPCs, why shouldmn't I? In fact when I proposed Mariana, BT thought it would make for great roleplaying). Thus fortified with knowledge we would "leak" a meeting with his daughter...Envy would be either dormed down wearing Jack. or Bob would take his or his daughters place. The idea was to stage a scene in which they would think we were vulnerable but when we were actually anything but. Even undormed, Envy has no M Stam or Hardbody...though I could get either or both if I risked a Node Spark...

BTW...thanks for the concern about me Alex...it was mighty sweet... ::sweetlove

::tongue ::biggrin

If Envy is actually dormed down then there is no "anything but" about it.

I had been going with the assumption we dropped that plan upon hearing what allies we have around whom we couldn't involve if we followed it (Epo, others), and what the opposition looked like (seriously hardcase, several members of them).

The plan was workable up to the point where Dem openly declaired that he was going to try to kill you with all the forces he had. Before that point we could have been dealing with a single nova assassin. Now we are trying to deal with a nova strike force.

Better still from our point of view, he doesn't *want* to kill you when you are dormed and weak and visiting your kid. He wants to show that your forces don't matter. That with advanced warning you *still* can't defend yourself. I.e. he's trying to make an example out of you to the rest of the Teragen. IMHO that's a 'go for broke' plan. If it works it will work well, but if it doesn't work he'll end up with egg on his face.

If Envy is actually dormed down then there is no "anything but" about it.

I had been going with the assumption we dropped that plan upon hearing what allies we have around whom we couldn't involve if we followed it (Epo, others), and what the opposition looked like (seriously hardcase, several members of them).

The plan was workable up to the point where Dem openly declaired that he was going to try to kill you with all the forces he had. Before that point we could have been dealing with a single nova assassin. Now we are trying to deal with a nova strike force.

Hmmm...so then "Envy" should really be Bob...that will fake them out... And Envy himself could be hidden in a shadow dormed and attuned with King Cobra....being Desolid 5 wll defintely protect him. King Cobra and Envy can defer their intiative and allow the attackers to go after "Envy" (who with Hardbody will totally soak....disintegration's big weakness) Jack then becomes known and attacks...engulfing or what have you and then KC and Envy unphase and take their deffered actions to mop up...

I think this idea is much better and it protects Envys daughter (whom BT did tell me the Cult doesnt seem to know about). Sorrt to get all worked up...Alex actually made some excellent points. So now the reason for Envy to be dormed is to hide in plain sight with KC. Bob as Envy shuoldn't be dormed though...better to keep that identity secret for as long as we can.

Excellent intro post Hyper Focus! You too Dcrod...though after I sent you that PM I realized you probably know Shakti is a woman but your character doesn't...

Welcome both of you!

That will be very clever, but the sad true is that I simply didnt notice the gender of Shakti ::brick . On the other hand is better to learn it this way and not with a "¡¡¡that's the most eerie nova I have seen in my life!!!" thought ::jaw

Glad to be on board. I'm still getting used to the PBP method. It seems a bit of improvisation if required from everyone involved to flesh out scenes and settings, so I hope BT doesn't mind that I assumed the baselines at club Zmei were CZ megasyndicate thugs and played it as such.

I think I'm really going to like the improv facet of PBP gaming. As long as I'm not suddenly asserting that Loki is Divis Mal's lovechild with Sophia Rosseau (though that WOULD explain his probability/entropy control...just kidding) everything should work out fine.

I see no reason we can't roleplay the meeting with Mariana later on in this section, assuming we aren't killed right now.

I don't see much advantage to deferring initiative. I mean, they're going for Envy anyway, right?

I don't see much advantage to deferring initiative. I mean, they're going for Envy anyway, right?
Actually they're probably going to go for Bob considering he and Envy look the same and few Terats have met Bob.

They're looking for Envy, Bob looks like Envy, he's got that *Oh NO!* expression that they have probably seen lots of times right before snuffing someone. So basically they should be seeing what they expect to, what they WANT to (Bob is really good at telling people what they want to hear).

So they make their winning move, play their ace... and it's going to get trumped.

Bob has high soak, extra life levels, Regen... he should be fine, including and especially from Disin. They unload on Bob, use their action, and then can't dodge yours. If I were you I'd just let their high Init guys go first. Just don't let their Dex machines know they have extra people to dodge.

Granted this could be a little rough on Bob, but I'm assuming he'll get a full meal out of it and that's rare.

Sorry I was out for 2-3 days. I had work, then got sick and was dryheaving all day yesterday :( I still don't know what I was sick with. I just got better. My head is still a bit dizzy and I've got a high temperature, but I'm getting better.

SkyLion:

Don't freak out so much. Whenever I do things like that, I'm not doing it to intentionally make you angry. You sound like I sit at my computer plotting how to ruin your day over the Internet or something. This is what I saw in one of Alex Green's posts:

That's the plan.

So that's what I read and went on (plus Envy mentioned wearing Jack as a necklace). Sorry for the confusion. Again, don't have a miscarriage every time I make a slip. Shit happens.

I can easily change the setting if thats what you want...the Intiative would be kept (though I rolled it forgetting that Envy was dormed and without his Megas, that might change), plus the PCs and NPCs would be the same. Really, just the location and details relating to the PCs location and powers (Jack and Bob's shapeshift, which are subject to their whims anyway, Envy's dorm status, KC's location) would be changed.

I think I'm really going to like the improv facet of PBP gaming. As long as I'm not suddenly asserting that Loki is Divis Mal's lovechild with Sophia Rosseau (though that WOULD explain his probability/entropy control...just kidding) everything should work out fine.

Improv is perfectly fine in connection with your own character. Like, making up details of their background in-game is fine, as is determining what they know and don't know, like when Cottus had Anansi know what a Ukrainian accent sounds like. As long as you keep it sensible and within reason (as in, not having your character know that Divis Mal is Michael Donighal, DUN DUN DUN, plus having him aware of Synapse's body, Delorimier's secret hatred for Scripture, Tarik's infection of several Terats, the Maer enclave from A Breed Apart, etc.) all should be fine and dandy in the world.

Oh, BTW, the Maer enclave from A Breed Apart is considered NoLK canon for our campaign. I guess this doesn't matter too much though, since no one besides Orzaiz and the Mathematician knows about it, but there ya go. I still don't agree with ABA's take on nova breeding though. Nova offspring will inevitably come up later, so I'll talk about it soon enough...

Waiting for my Shapeshift roll before I post...
??? I'm not sure I understand this. Don't you pick a subject then see how many succ you get transforming into that subject/object? It isn't like you can roll a q-bolt attack and then pick a target depending on how many succ you get.
I'll update when/if I wake tomorrow. I feel a dryheave/mass vomitting spell coming on o_o Maybe I shouldn't have had all that chili so suddenly. But it's so good *loves chili* even if it is making my stomach angry again...
I'm not sure whether to say I'm sorry or to laugh.

I think Bahamuts shapeshift is defined a bit differently..ie, he is liquid metal and can become abstract things, so knowing how much "power" he has will let him create the appropriate form. Again this is an example of the bias the description shows to "straight" animal/creature type shapshifters.

Yeah, sorry. Medical mayhem happened and I was gone, but all is fine now. Also, some crazy ash rain is falling over my little section of Florida. Some forest fires in Georgia or something...all the ash is being blown down here. At one point earlier today it felt like a volcano was going off nearby because I could actually see the ash falling o_O I had to blow the thin layer of ash off my windshield before I went to drive. And there was an eerie orange glow throughout the day because the light reflecting off the moon was hitting the smoke and ash. And the moon was shining really brightly during the middle of the day, so badly I had to put my car visor down to block the light. The sky reminded me of Tattooine...

Weird day...and now I smell like smoke.

Archived