Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

Help Name My Character!!

The basic outline is an entropy controlling revolutionary who specializes in introducing disorder to complex systems, eventually pushing them towards catastrophic failure. Besides entropy control and TK (sometimes physical systems need an a little extra push towards breakdown) he has a some of social mega-atts with enhancements allowing for both covert (i.e. copycat) and overt (Natural Agitator) operations. Lastly, some mega-int for facility for finding (analyze weakness) and exploiting (Mental Prodigy: Tactics) flaws in his opponents planning.

The thing is, I'm stuck at coming up with his Nova handle. Firebrand and Rebel-Yell are taken (Teen2M and A New Breed, respectively). Ive making a verb out of him: Agitator, Inciter, Instigator, Dissenter. None of them seem quite right to me. Malcontent? Maybe....but hate hate puns. Really people, I'm at a loss so I'm asking for suggestions or anything that may get me thinking in the right direction.

One more thing, the character is Ukranian, so if anyone knows the a word of concept from a slavic language (I'm not picky) that might work pass that along. Or any sort of (slavic or otherwise) mythological concept.

If you don't mind a female, go with Baba Yaga. ::happy Or, is Breakdown taken? Cascade?

Or give him a Wall Forcefield, and we can call him the Blue Screen of Death™. ::laugh

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just did some checking up on all the basic Slavonic gods, and the only one I found that has to do with "ending things" is Chernobog. Chernobog means "the black god", and he was one of two supreme beings; Byelobog and Chernobog, with Byelobog being the "white" god or "good" god, and Chernobog the "black" or "evil" god. Chernobog doesn't seem to have been specifically associated with decay, but he was associated with death and night, or the "endings" of things if you will, so he's probably your best mythological bet as far as Slavonic gods go.

If you're ok with using some Teutonic mythology instead (Germanic), then Loki would be a real good choice. Aside from the fact that Loki was technically a fire demon in origin, he's a real good fit for your character as described above. Loki was constantly trying to undermine the other gods and bring all of their plans to ruin. He'd help them one minute, and completely undo them the next.

So, Chernobog if you want Slavonic mythology, and Loki if you're ok with Teutonic. I'm sure there are other choices out there, but as far as myths go, that's all I could find.

I thought it was spelled Tchernabog...

I'm sure that's one variation of the spelling, but I have a massive, comprehensive Encyclopedia of Mythology covering every major mythology from all over the world, even some of the really obscure ones, and it spelled it Chernobog with "Cherny" being an old Slavonic root word for black and "bog" meaning god. The Ukrainians still, to this day, say: 'May the black god exterminate you!'

Hello, I want to introduce myself. I'm DCRod and one of the new aditions of the Nigth of the Long Knives, season, er... I mean, chapter 2. I've been reading most of the stuff that involves this campaign. In the next days I will try to post some details about my character, that way we wont be strangers later. Hasta la vista.

Okay, first off, I'd like to bid Hyper and dcrod a warm welcome. Glad to have you guys aboard. ::smile

With that said, on to the 'main event'. HAPPY BIRTHDAY COTTUS!!! Hope ya have a good one bro. ::biggrin

I second the welcome Hyper-Focus and DCRod, welcome aboard.

And thanks, brother of mine!

Also, I just updated my entry in Meet the Characters so that it now features Anansi rather than James. There's a link to his pic there listed as "Portrait", so make sure you don't miss it cuz that's what he looks like.

((BT, I backed up the text from James' entry if you still need that.))

I work for the next two days, but have this Friday and weekend off. Chapter 2 should be wrapping up sometime within that timeframe, if all goes to plan. Then Cottus will switch characters, and DCRod and Hyper-Focus will introduce new characters.

Also, I'll make a long-ass post on the NoLK soon.

Aaand, a point to bring up: sorry for the lack of action here folks. When Chapter 2 gets under way, there should be more, what with Terats turning on each other and such. And from now on, your characters will be splitting into more independant groups for branches. That is, branches probably won't interact as much as before, and more time will pass in-game (Chapter 1 was essentially one day). Think of each branch as a different comic book about the same team. Kinda like how the various X-Men titles are about the same team, but focus on different characters who are in different places, doing different things.

Roach stares at Leiko, his head slighty tilts to the side as if he were a confused dog.

"Wait n' minute. M'never 'eard that before. Whats wit da static?"

This made me laugh, because Leiko's been doing it from day ONE. It's one of her two aberrations. I guess people have just been ignoring her, or despite the static she's been understandable enough. ::laugh

Sorry I've been rather absent everyone. Few things have been happening and that combined with the fact that I forgot to bring the site back up last time I rebooted my computer, I've been forgetting to check and post. Again, I apologise

What do you know? I'll keep the Branch open until tomorrow/Sunday. So you guys can finish your conversations and such.

Meanwhile, it's time to start downtime (I know the game is still running, but it's all conversation, so no harm done).

When I first proposed the downtime system, I seemed to overestimate how much time there would be between Chapters. Currently, it looks to be like there will be 1-2 month gaps between Chapters, as opposed to the "a few months to a year" I predicted before. This might change later, who knows? Anyway, there will be a 1 month gap between Ch1 and Ch2.

That means 3 free XP per month. If you want temp Chrysalis points, then I roll 5 dice for each month, and you get 1 point for every success. So for Chapter 1-2 downtime, you get 3 XP and anywhere from 0-5 temp Chrysalis. If you don't want any Chrysalis points this Chapter, just post in the Chysalis thread and say so.

This is the first time we're really doing downtime like this, so it may be a bit confusing. Think of the Star Wars films. There was Episode 4. Then three years later, Episode 5. Then three years later, Episode 6 (my times may be off; I havn't fangirled over Star Wars in years). Stuff happened in between the movies during those years, obviously, but the movies focused on all the crucial stuff. Episode 4 didn't pick up directly after Episode 3. When Luke appears at Jabba's palace in Episode 5, he is a lot different than he was at the end of Episode 4. We're not having three year gaps between Chapters, so the changes won't be as dramatic, but you get the idea.

During this 1 month period, you basically get to decide what your character is doing and how he changes (subject to my loving approval, of course). It's kind of a good thing to have these gaps, since there's some stuff that would just be plain boring to roleplay, or that would be tedious and time-wasting, especially for PBP. Think of them as "off-screen" changes to your character. Maybe Leiko decides to expand her fanclub, King Cobra decides to change his hometown, Roach decides to start his own beauty product line, etc. You can post here in this thread with what you want to do, but it would be better if you PM me here about it so I can discuss it with you. I might even propose some stuff for your character.

Also, just like with the Star Wars films, stuff will change during downtime. Maybe an NPC or two joins the Prometheans. Maybe an NPC or two dies. Maybe an enclave gets destroyed. Maybe someone leaves the Pantheon. Maybe someone new rises to the Pantheon.

Downtime will now be the only time to spend XP on upgrading your character, unless your character spends XP mid-Chapter by roleplaying it (A mentor trains you, you study, etc.) or if I give you permission.

And another issue: two new players and a character switch. DCrod and Hyper-Focus are joining us when downtime is finished and we begin Chapter 2. They'll basically join/assist the Prometheans during downtime ("off-screen") or at the very beginning of Chapter 2. I'll be figuring out a way to introduce both of their characters. Cottus will be "retiring" his character James at this time to NPC status, and taking up the new character Anansi. I will also be determining how to introduce him to the faction.

Another important thing will be story Branches for Chapter 2. I'll post my proposed Branches soon. This might actually help you decide what to do during downtime, perhaps in preparation. I also want to give each Chapter some kind of "theme" that affects all or most of the Branches. I'll also post my ideas on that soon too.

I included the Clinic in my fiction and BT had some questions.

So where is the clinic located? Is it publically affiliated with the Teragen?
I have been assuming that we pretty much have to put the clinic in Cuba. The big reasons for doing this are as follows:

1) It's close, so those of us who want to work part time can do so without excessive Warping. This is especially important for Bob who wants to help with the clinic (and he's a healer), but bodyguard duty has first call on his time.

2) It's on our home ground, this is important for several reasons. Security. Local contacts. Local influence. Knowing what's going on. Ease of setting up. Probably other things.

3) Cuba is already cutting edge for bio-tech and the like.

4) Cuba is in the middle of things, it has important airports and the like.

5) Cuba gives the media access.

RE: Are we public?

I'm not sure how to handle this.

A note concerning the clinic, as usual Kyle would probably be willing to help out however hes able if hes asked, and well bluntly he is fairly able in that area. M-Int 5 with 5 medicine abiltiy. Even without the Mental Prodigy: Medical enhancement, I would still say he has more medical knowledge than a hospital full of some of the best baseline doctors.

With M-int 2 and 5 in medicine he can outdo *any* baseline doctor (I would say 1...but with Int 5 and a spend WP he could actually *possibly* win if he was incredibly, almost obscenely lucky).

With M-Int 5 he is better then many, if not a majority of nova doctors.

Actually, with Int 5 and M-Int 5, Kyle has a statistical average of 6.5 successes on Intelligence based rolls for abilities that he has no dots in at all... ::blink

His Medicine rolls would have an average of 8.5 successes. So, if he attacks the most difficult medical problems known to mankind (around +5 difficulty), he generally comes out with 3.5 successes left over that he can play around with. If he attacks some of the most difficult medical problems known to nova-kind (more than +5), he still more than likely has extra successes left over. ::wacko

Mega-Attributes of 4+ scare me... ::unsure

Mega-Attributes of 4+ scare me... ::unsure
So, is now a bad time to mention Leiko's Mega-Manipulation 4? ::devil

Any nova with Int 5 M-Int 5 Prodigy X are going to be better than 99.9% of the world's population. They'll probably only have to compete with a handful of other novas who also have Int 5 M-Int 4-5 Prodigy X. Since Mega-Physicals in the 4-5 dot range seem to be more common than Mega-Mentals in the 4-5 dot range, it makes a nova much scarier because there are so much fewer people who can oppose them.

And I just had the mental image of a nova with M-Int 5, Medical Prodigy, and Tactical Genius, joining the "War on Drugs" as the new warlord. ::laugh

Archived