Watchmen

phoenix

You know what I miss? Good old-fashioned Wolverine. When he really was the best there was at what he does (yes, I am channeling Dr. Seuss). You guys ever read the original run of the Wolverine comics? They're hardly a milestone in good comics writing, but they're ridiculously fun to read, and you can actually understand why Wolverine (a character created entirely because the then-Marvel editor-in-chief wanted a character with a Canadian accent - no that's not a joke) became so hugely popular. The old school Wolverine would completely stomp on the sissy-boy, bleeding heart Wolverine they've got running around now. And some of you may be wondering why I would call the Wolverine of today a sissy or a bleeding heart; if you're one of those people then please, do yourselves a favor, and go read some good 20 year old Wolverine stories and you'll know exactly what I mean. Actually, just read the original Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith. Aside from Wolverine #1 (which is where his famous catch-phrase comes from) it's probably the defining piece in Wolverine's history.

As far as the X-Men go, I miss Claremont. His stories were just so fun to read.

Re: Whedon:

Everyone has different tates...

Have you read Ultimate X-men or any of the Ultimate line BT?

Yeah, its solid stuff, but I hate having to start over with something. I'd rather they cut out the bad parts of the main series and put bandages on them to help them heal.

BTW, is Jean Grey dead right now? I can never tell. She keeps dying and coming back. I was having a conversation with a friend, and he's convinced she's alive, but I clearly remember her dying recently, but neither of us could remember exactly which issues we were thinking of, because we remembered both of our sides of the story from at least two different instances. Seriously, Phoenix and Dark Phoenix were fun the first time around, and I love Jean Grey, but damn its getting old...

Yeah, in the current x-men, Scott (cyclops) has been sleeping with Emma Frost (white queen) and she has him wrapped around her little finger. No way would Jean allow that if she were alive....but you know...it is x-men, and Whedon already (thanfully IMHO) brought back Colossus...

Wait, I thought Emma just recently left the X-Men. I seem to remember seeing a panel where Scott threw her out of the X-Men or something.

Also, WTF is with this Vulcan character thats supposed to be the third Summers brother?

Its possible...Ive been reading the astonishing trades and Im only on the second one, so Im a bit behind.

Re: Back on topic-

Well, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a brand-new copy of Watchmen - having it in stock seems to have become one of the marks of a quality comics shop.

Another resource that Aberrant gamers would do well to check out are the Akira trade paperbacks (there are 6 volumes) put out by Dark Horse Comics. Watching Tetsuo hit Taint 10 in vol. 6 is a treat! ::devil They've been around for a few years now, so it's possible to find them in used books shops if one lacks the funds to buy them brand-new.

• 1 month later...

So i finally finshed reading Watchmen....

Wow!

talk about flawless execution. I actually had researched it a bit before I bought it and knew some of the spoilers but it actually made me appreciate the book more. I read it slowly and savored ever panel, taking in all the subtleties and details. When something new was revealed I would go back to find what it referenced earlier in the book to keep the dots connected as I went.

Id also like to say that I had pickewd it up before and dismissed it. The art looked too hokey and retro. Once I started reading however, I saw that it was just the old-school coloring that makes it look as such...I am too used to computer generated coloring and effects these days apparently. Now I see that the art is amazing! The way it shows the same scene from different angles and how it will zoom in or out on details fram by frame gives it an incredibly rich and cinematic feel. I can see now why comics owe such a debt of gratitude to Watchmen and AlanMoore...though why he has to be such a grumpy looking and hirsute man I do not know! ::laugh

Also just re-read a copy of The Authority: Human on the Inside. Without giving too much away I will say that one of the characters introduced in the graphic novel is one of the best portrayals of a mega-social I have yet seen...

Archived