Trinity RPG - Story idea: getting Divis Mal back

Itai

Here is a story idea I am planning to use in my campaign, and I would welcome any comments/suggestion.

We are at 212X (the year the coalition arks arrive) and Earth is in big trouble, as it is about to be attacked in a frontal assault by an alliance from the coalition and the colony aberrants. The chromatics are in civil war and the Qin won't help. And the Doyen are waiting in the shadows to eliminate whoever survives and end humanity once and for all.

On their side, humanity has the Psions, the Edenites, the Nihonjin Novas and Superiors, and all the new gifted which emerged since the Venezuelan phenomenon. But strategists and clairsentients agree: it is not going to be enough, and Earth is about to be destroyed.

At that point, Max Mercer has a daring idea: why not asking Divis Mal for help ? Even if this idea would seem completely mad to about everyone of that century, Max knows better than anyone the person that used to be Michael Donighal. In his psychotic and megalomaniac way, Divis Mal always cared for humanity.

And he certainly has the power to help, if he can be convinced.

Being at that time quite influential in the Aeon coucil, the characters will be able to take part to this debate. The thing is that there isn't really another choice. A joint effort of clairsentients and teleporters (with the participation of their respective proxy) will then be able to find out the place/dimension/universe where Divis Mal went and to send a team there.

Originally, Max is supposed to go with the characters, but only the characters get there (Max being sent against his will in another time). And the characters need now to explore the world that Mal created, and convince him to save his planet of origin.

I imagine it would be similar to Eden but even more extreme. Aberrants are really gods in there and the humans, even if they are usually well treated, live only to serve them. A place paradisiac in appearance but where everything (the animals, the plants, the air) is saturated in taint and quantum energy. And a Divis Mal, even more powerful and megalomaniac which is going to be very difficult to convice. And with the characters always wondering if they are doing the right thing, and if they should bring such a monster back to Earth...

So, what do you think ?

A very interesting idea, especially with the players using psion characters. This sounds like it has the potential to become the ultimate Fireside Theater experience: "Everything you know is wrong". AFAICT, even if Max's plan works Aeon will have one HUGE plate of crow to eat... which could be what Max had in mind for Aeon the past few decades (as of the 2120's). ::devil

Well I am glad you all like the idea. I was trying to find a good idea for the Trinity arc to conclude the series, and that is what I came out with.

And for Blue thunder, maybe I could have done that too if I had the time, but the fact is that my players have very little disponibility. So I am trying to cram all the Trinity arc in 4 (maybe 5) sessions). The first session introduced them to the world by letting them live the crash of the Esperanza (their characters are from southern France). In the second and third session they played the end of Passage through shadow (beginning with the first chromatic attack), Ascension into light and Invasion.

And in the last one (or two) I will let them discover Eden, the Venezuelan phenomenon, the Nihonjin secrets, and the final battle and the return of Divis Mal to top it all. So there will be no more time for the Qin or the Chromatics, I am afraid...

• 5 months later...

A matter of concern:

Okay, I'm assuming that for the non-Divis Mal battle, Apollo of Eden would be involved. If he's not, it begs the question of why your hunting down Divis Mal when another of his power scale is alot more conveniently available.

Now, that said, given the scenario setup, you'd basically have Apollo and the Colony duking it out, being the Q8 contenders on the field. In order for it to still have your conclusion occur, though, the remaining forces on the bad guy side have to be nearly matched to the remaining forces on the good guy side. Otherwise, what happens is "Earth Military + Edenite novas + Psions + Nihonjin Novas and Superiors + Inspired" beat "Colony minions + Coalition", and then get free opportunity to backshot the Colony with nukes, superweapons, Q6 nova powers, and large group psionic attacks. This is otherwise known as "The Colony dies horribly."

This doesn't mean your scenario is unworkable. It just means you have to keep this in mind when figuring how much cannon fodder the bad guys have, how many ships, how many aberrant-grade Coalition phyles, and how many Q6 Colony minions.

Archived