Adventure & WOD

Needles

Everything is basically compatible except difficulty numbers. A! uses a base of 7, and modifiers increase the number of successes needed. WOD uses a base of 6, and modifiers change the number.

Thus, I have Str 3, Brawl 3. That gives me a dice pool of 6 (both systems). Due to bad weather, I have a +2 diff.

In A!, I would be rolling against base 7, and need 3 successes (40% chance of success).

In WOD, I would be rolling DN (6+2=) 8, (virtual 100% chance of success).

In both systems, additional successes modify results....

If it helps...

FR

and in A! "ones" don't remove successes. They'll only be counted if no successes have been rolled to determine the severity of the botch.

Maybe WoD's that way too now though, I used to play 1st ed...

The biggest difference though is the use of the Inspiration trait which allows the player to control the story somewhat, a bit like in Exalted.

So Adventure is the superior system in your view?  ::confused

I think he means that A! (and Ab) are more flexible during character creation. In Vamp, your powers are limited by which clan you belong to, that come with a specific set of strengths and weaknesses; in A! you can define your own powers, strengths, and weaknesses however you like.

Exactly. Abby is far more flexible still, it has no clans as such.

I like the idea of choosing my background allies and such seperate of my powers and weaknesses.

If I want a character who is super invisible, I'll build one.

If I want a character who super strong or super tough I'll build that.

If I want a character to be an inhuman looking outcase I'll build that.

I don't see why those four have to be a package deal, nor do I see why there should be only a small number of packages (well, other than so we can be forced to buy books with more packages).

Character creation wise I think that A! is actualy the worst of the three (I dont say that it bad, just not as good as the others), mostly becous of the restrictions they have, I can see why they logicaly should be there but I dont like them...

Aberrant comes second, its powers are not very balanced IMHO, with some design flaws thrown into the mix (elemental mastery and elemental anima comes to mind... ).

Of course, in contrast with the older versions of WoD A3:s (Adventure, Aberrant and Aeon Trinity) character building system is brilliant, its easy to adapt to a totaly human campaign (except for Trinity), It is reasonably easy to explain how powers suddenly manifests and it realy, IMHO again, feels like your character is reasonably good about something when he have 4-5 dice in it (thanks to the set difficulty).

I think that backgrounds is a little bit better handled in WoD though, they could have droped Nemesis and kept influence as it was. Cipher where a nice addition though and I like the changes in followers (the addition of people).

The only (real) difference between elemental anima and elemental master is that elemental anima cannot create say, fire, out of nothing, right?

But, instead of making it into a sub-power they created a whole new one (elemental mastery) therefor "wasting" a page who could have been filed with other goodies and making the system a bit less streamlined. They changed that in the d20 game.

The only (real) difference between elemental anima and elemental master is that elemental anima cannot create say, fire, out of nothing, right?

Um. Not entirely. Although there are three overlapping techniques (Blast, Lethal Blast, and Propel/Movement), the Elemental Mastery techniques are not only available at any time and not only when the element is actually already present, but are a degree of magnitude more powerful than the Elemental Anima techniques. Also, it should be noted that while all the EA techniques are available to someone with EM, the reverse is not true. Having two seperate powers provides another couple advantages: it's possible to get more of the techniques total, for the character who has sublime control over a single element, and it's possible to build characters with a wider variety of themes and backgrounds. Interestingly I think that the d20 system is a piece of crap precisely because it limits options for making and playing characters.

Um. Not entirely. Although there are three overlapping techniques (Blast, Lethal Blast, and Propel/Movement), the Elemental Mastery techniques are not only available at any time and not only when the element is actually already present, but are a degree of magnitude more powerful than the Elemental Anima techniques. Also, it should be noted that while all the EA techniques are available to someone with EM, the reverse is not true. Having two seperate powers provides another couple advantages: it's possible to get more of the techniques total, for the character who has sublime control over a single element, and it's possible to build characters with a wider variety of themes and backgrounds. Interestingly I think that the d20 system is a piece of crap precisely because it limits options for making and playing characters.

Well, that could be solved easily as well, IMHO...

And I agree that the d20 is crap.

Archived