Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

(Since Alex wanted to start with his character, and I saw no real reason to delay, the IC starts here. No off-world will be happening until after New Years, but this way the people who have completed their characters and given me the finished sheets can interact with each other and some of the NPCs of the SGE.)

From the start, the whole thing seems a little bit surreal. After responding to this offer, you got the plane ticket in the mail, flying first-class to Fresno, of all places. A somewhat nervous-looking man was waiting for you at the baggage claim, leading you out to the limo and driving you out into the middle of nowhere. In the middle of what looks like a tree farm sits the two-story office building, looking completely normal and completely out of place. Until you realize that sitting on a balcony off one side is a massive anti-aircraft gun, and all of the windows are made of vitrium glass.

Inside, a dashing young lady named Carmela leads you to a room not unlike the last cheap hotel you stayed at, giving you a small map of the available places in the building. "It's nice to meet you, Doctor Nature, wasn't it? Anyway, this is your room for the night, since I don't believe you had arranged for other accomidations out in town. I'm afraid we're a bit out in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, tomorrow morning at eight, you're supposed to meet Michal in the conference room," she points to a room on the map down the hallway, "and the kitchen and dining area is right next door. I'm afraid I don't know when the other novas will be arriving for this assignment. Athena gave me all of five minutes notice when you walked in the door." ::glare

She departs hastily, pulling out a PDA as she vanishes through a door in the hallway. Exploring around the building, the place is a bizarre cross between an office block and some kind of commune apartment complex. On the bright side, at least the kitchen was designed with novas in mind; the massive walk-in fridge and freezer are easy to spot, as are the two side-by-side stoves. People seem to be constantly on the move, some of them in coveralls with patches saying "SuperGeek Ent" coming from the off-limits door on the other side of the dining area. Many people are carrying PDAs or file folders, working as they walk, talking non-sensically to themselves in technical jargon. Other than a floating Native American guy with an assault rifle slung over his shoulder, they all seem to be baselines.

(Feel free to backtrack and make conversation with anyone, I'll just adjust my text as needed.)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul nods to Carmela’s back and just stood there and took stock of the situation. A good deal of this was odd. The letter had said something about an exploratory mission with his “unique abilities” bla, bla, bla. SuperGeek Enterprises certainly wouldn’t be contacting him for his medical skills. SGE had the reputation of only working with novas with enhanced intellect, therefore he just wasn’t smart enough by their standards. His “healing” abilities would probably be considered “cheating” or "useless" from a research standpoint. There were other novas with more diverse radiation powers, and once again research in this would probably require super-smarts. The likely explanation was SGE was going to start exploring Jupiter’s moons or maybe the other planets and they wanted a space worthy “animal” telepath to help look for life.

For those who knew what to look for, Paul was obviously a nova. A very muscular 5’ 10” Caucasian, even by pre-N-Day standards he would have stood out. With green eyes and brown hair he was supermodel handsome, and this was supplemented by how he held himself. There was something primal there, like he was more in touch with his beast than normal. He met the glance of a passing woman and she shivered before moving on.

Of course, the bane of his existence was this was only by pre-N-day standards. The real social novas could, and did, leave him in the dust. 3 years ago he’d had his own talk show for about 5 minutes. Americans like pets. In theory, a real life pet psychic would make a great show. The unfortunate reality was animals didn’t think anywhere near like people thought, and pet owners didn’t like be disabused of their illusions. After a few episodes he’d been replaced by a woman whose skill working the crowd more than compensated for her lack of telepathic ability.

After hesitating a few minutes, Paul decided to drop his bag in his room and then wander around.

(There are a number of available places you can go. Among them are, the first floor - dining area, library, conference room, sauna, offices for Michal Wesson, Claire Reed, Richard Johannsen, Rieller Many-Fires. second floor - balcony (with AA gun), media/entertainment room, Alpha Lab (electronics).)

As Ash boards the plane and takes his seat, the first thing he notices is the ugliest, shortest man he's ever personally met. The second thing he notices is that the ugly dwarf is sitting in the first class seat right next to him.

(Have fun on the plane flight! ::biggrin Unless there's something else you want/need to do in Fresno, assume that the limo is awaiting to bring you to the facility.)

Ash grins as he takes in the cabin. This was the first time he had been in first class, and one of the few times on a airplane. He had a good gut feeling about this...and he always went with his gut.

He put a hand up to stop the stwartess as she passed, and ordered a few vials of various spirits then leaned back in his seat. He looked over at the ugly-dwarf next to him.

"Want somethin' to drink? I'm having a good day, and I'm willing to share."

Pat looks at the foolishly grinning guy who just walked in and sat down next to him and scowls, then nods and says, "I'll take two fingers of well aged single malt scotch, neat, and leave the bottle. If I'm going to travel in one of these f**king things, I may as well enjoy myself."

Pat's really ugly. He's got blue eyes and brown hair, but those are about the only normal things about his appearance. His face is a study in contrasts, one eye too big, one too small. Smooth skin interspersed, seemingly at random, with patches of hair, moles, growths, and scar tissue. His crooked, yellowed teeth are framed in a mouth marked by its tendency to scowl and the fact that it's lopsided, and wider than it should be. His arms look like hairy, gnarled tree branches, and his legs like stumps from the same twisted tree. A large lump on his right shoulder makes him look perpetually off-kilter. At about four feet tall, he's also extremely short. Something about him, maybe it's the foul odor, or perpetual scowl, but something makes you somewhat uncomfortable around him. He's currently dressed in what look like old, very dirty jeans and a t-shirt, with heavy workboots on his feet. All three of the garments look like they've seen better days, but the very observant will notice that they're actually made of eufiber, and in suprisingly good condition.

Ash gives the stewartess a wink. "You heard the man! And if you could get me a napkin with your number on it, my day would be complete." he says, hoping that his neighbor dosen't turn the woman off to the advances.

He enjoys his drinks and flirts with the stewartess as they fly. He does what he can to keep himself occupied so he dosent stare at the dwarf, or do something to offend him (unless the dwarf wants to start some conversation).

(If nothing else happens ... )

When you arrive in the Fresno airport, there is a nervous looking man in a suit standing near the luggage claim, holding a sign that reads "Pat and Ash." Both novas can plainly hear the guy's whisper of "This ****ing Christmas bonus had better be worth it," as he plants on a false smile and leads them to the limo.

After a ride of about an hour, the limo pulls up in front of the strange building parked in the trees in rural Selma. Stepping in through the entryway, a flat, expressionless female voice speaks to you over the speaker system. "Mr. Phoenix and Mr. Darrow, please turn left in the hallway and proceed to rooms seventeen and eighteen. I will notify Carmela that you have arrived ... early." Something about the last word seems different, but given the voice, it's hard to say if that's good or bad.

Unfortunately, as Pat shoves open the door to the hallway, he nearly shoves down Michal himself. The skinny nova manages to dodge the violent door, and stares over Pat at Ash for a moment before looking down. "Ah, Mr. Darrow, you're earlier than I expected." He pauses for a moment, then shrugs. "I heard about that nasty legal tussle you had with some of the others from the Daedulus League. I'd have helped you, except by that point I'd already quit." (Pat does remember seeing Michal on a small number of occasions, usually in shouting matches with the same assholes who tried to steal his patents.)

"And Ash Phoenix, the sometimes darling of the New York tabloids. I hope you enjoy a quieter town for a little while, though I can almost guarantee you'll find my work interesting." He tilts his head for a moment, a faraway look in his eyes, then nods. "There's another of your team, Dr. Nature, wandering the halls, I believe near the library at the moment." He points down the hallway, nods a goodbye, and ducks into his office. (Ash at this point should be feeling somewhat nervous, pinpricks up and down his skin as he can tell he's being watched - but not from where. Wanna spend a QP?)

As Eli is preparing to leave work after another long day of maintenance on the Mojave space elevator, he's stopped by his boss, "Mikey" Ramirez. "Hey, Eli, I know you've already had a shitty day today, what with that air brake locking up, but these reports are all supposed to go up to Selma." He drops a stack of manila folders a foot tall on the table, narrowly missing Eli's drink. "I already called up there, and Athena said there'd be a room ready for you so you can stay the night. Michal wanted to see you in the morning, too, he had some questions about maintenance." Slyly, he winks at you as he heads for the door. "More likely, you're headed for a promotion. Damn waste of nova powers, fixing air brakes." He starts down the hallway, then sticks his head back around the door frame. "Oh yeah, take car number seventeen, I know it's filled up. If you leave now you'll get there in time to still get a full night's sleep."

As you leave the building, you see the only other nova on site, Nathan, sitting on the roof of the security inspection building. He gives you a silent mocking salute, staring west at the gathering stormclouds with a smile on his face. (He's a pretty good weather controller. He's also a total asshole to everyone.)

Ash grins and makes good with the driver as they walk to the car, then tries to entangle Pat in conversation on the hour-long ride.

He grins as Michal makes introductions.

"And Ash Phoenix, the sometimes darling of the New York tabloids. I hope you enjoy a quieter town for a little while, though I can almost guarantee you'll find my work interesting."

"Tabloids? I dunno what you are talking about. But I have a good feeling about all this." then nods when he hears about Dr. Nature.

The feeling of being watched does indeed peak his curiosity (and he spends a QP to know who is watching him).

The feeling of being watched does indeed peak his curiosity (and he spends a QP to know who is watching him).
Standing in the hallway, you suddenly spot cameras and microphone pickups spaced out about every five feet. You have a funny feeling that they're in all of the public rooms.

(If you go down the hall to your rooms, you'll discover that there's one camera/mic in there as well, but a switch next to the light is labeled "privacy" and is currently set to "OFF." Give you two guesses what this controls, and the first one doesn't count. ::laugh )

Ash takes the pause to excuse himself. He heads over to the library to meet their team mate...Dr. Nature.
...and finds Paul.

The good(?) Doctor glances at Ash and says,

"Hello there. Hmm, you look like a nova but not like our host, I'm the only one from my team here, so that leaves... S.G.E. researcher? Are you here to guide me around?"

"Oh, and I'm Doctor Nature. Or you can call me Paul."

Ash grins.  "You have a good eye.  But, no.  Im not here to show you around.  From what our humble employer said, we are on the same project.  I just came to meet the infamous Dr. Nature.  The Name is Phoenix.  Ash Phoenix.  Nice to meet you."
Paul says,

"Likewise."

Paul offers to shake hands and continues,

"Phoenix? Is that your real name or do you have fire powers?"

"Real name.  I never took a persona.  Never really appealed to me, since my abilities are more 'low key'.  Not like you, 'Dr. Nature'.  With a name like that you would think you were Anataus himself!"
Paul laughs a little self consciously and says,

"Oh I wish. DeVries more or less insists all their novas take a name, even the non-elites, it helps with the marketing. And I started out needing lots of marketing pretty badly. After lots of practice I'm only a mid range contractor."

Paul holds up two fingers and measures an inch,

"If Anataus is a whale then my nature abilities make me a catfish. A bit of healing. A bit of weather control. A bit of animal telepathy..."

"Which is I assume why we are here? Looking for life on other planets? I figure SGE got our names from the Daedulus League? The offer I got was pretty vague."

"I dunno where they got our names from. I'm not really a member of anything. I can't fly or anything...but when I got the offer I had a good feeling about it. And my gut is always right. I think we will be good. Hopefully it dosen't get dull. I hate just sittin' on my ass not doing anything, ya know?" he says as he leans back in hs chair, tipping it.

"Not a clue. They have a team of nova's coming in. You, me...some guy named Pat that flew in with me. I dunno how many others. And, I don't know about you, but I'm not as smart as who they usually hire. So that makes me think its something big. Especially since they are letting all of us in this building, even with all the camera's and microphones around. What have you made of all this?"

Having not really said anything much of the trip, despite he gregarious companion's numerous attempts at conversation, Pat now stands in the deserted hallway, giving it a good once-over. He listens to the conversation from the library, noting for himself the various cameras and microphones. He was certain they picked up more than just human-range audio-visuals, and wondered what else they might be picking up. Still, it wasn't wise to start snooping on a prospective new boss before the job even started, so he sqeulched an almost instinctual telepathic probe on the machine band that was half-formed before he even realized what he was doing.

Finally realizing he'd learned as much as he was going to standing around in the hallway, Pat walked into the library.

Grining one of his rare grotesque grins at both of them, Pat says, "You guys are so clueless, I can't even f**king imagine why either of you are here. Michal's creative, but there's no way he dragged us all here for anything other than an expedition to some other planet. He knows I don't take surveillance jobs anymore, and a guy who owns sattelites a-plenty has no need of my talents as a surveyor. That leaves a space-based expedition, unlikely give the presence of someone named, however dubiously, 'Dr. Nature.' So, by elimination, we're going to another planet. Don't you know who I am, Ash? Maybe they don't talk about me much around the ol' League anymore, after our little falling-out. Still, I would have thought you'd have at least heard of the Sundiver. "

Blinking, Pat, who was looking at Paul at the time he said all that, looks over at Ash, then back at Paul, then back at Ash and actually laughs, "Ha! Joke's on me this time. All you tall folks look so much alike to me, I thought you were him for a moment. I should be paying better attention, but I guess I'm still a bit woozy from that plane flight. Never been on one before, don't think I'll ever do it again. Well, that certainly explains why I didn't recognize you on the plane. Now Paul here, he should know who I am. As much as I should pay attention to what I'm seeing, you should pay attention to what I'm saying. It's not going to be a space-based expedition, never said it would. I said it'd be on another planet. Now, I don't know how we're getting there, or where exactly we're going, but I'd be willing to bet that there's some weird device Michal's been building at this facility that's going to be the means at least. And it's Sundiver, Pat, or if you must, Mr. Farrow."

By the end of this, Pat's customary scowl has returned, although it looks more thoughtful than annoyed now.

Paul blinks at "Sundiver"'s entrance. He says,

(To Ash) "He means the Daedulus League. Pat here is one of the select. The space man's space man. There are about five guys who have gone swimming in the Sun, and Pat's one of them. They've all got their names on a wall over at what passes for League HQ. They call it the "Helios Club"... and there's another list of names for the honorable mentions. The guys who supposedly have tried it and not come back."

(To Pat) "So yeah, I've heard of you. And if you were listening the 'other planet' idea is already floating around. But the question is, What other planet, where? The League’s been to Titan and Mars, no life there. They even took me along to double check. Sounds like someone has a star gate or warp drive or something, maybe in combo with this space elevator they are up to."

(To Ash) "He means the Daedulus League. Pat here is one of the select. The space man's space man. There are about five guys who have gone swimming in the Sun, and Pat's one of them. They've all got their names on a wall over at what passes for League HQ. They call it the "Helios Club"... and there's another list of names for the honorable mentions. The guys who supposedly have tried it and not come back."

Pat snorts, and talks to Ash as Paul is talking to him, "Yeah, the trick is not to die. I'm in a class by myself though. Sure, there're a few who've been inside ol' Sol for a few minutes at a time. Maybe a bit longer. I spent three years in and around Alpha-Centauri. Brought back more data than you can imagine. Unfortunately, the shmucks in the League who called themselves my friends all of a sudden decided to take all the money I earned, tried to have me committed! Can you believe that shit? F**king bastards. Anyhow, I don't associate myself with the League anymore. I'm strictly independant now, no more orginizations or middle-men. "

Suddenly looking up at one of the cameras, "You hear that, Michal? I'm an independant contractor. If you're looking for a company man, you're in for a disappointment. You have lawyers, I'm sure they can come up with something equitibile... " Pat trails off and looks over at Paul.

To Pat) "So yeah, I've heard of you. And if you were listening the 'other planet' idea is already floating around. But the question is, What other planet, where? The League’s been to Titan and Mars, no life there. They even took me along to double check. Sounds like someone has a star gate or warp drive or something, maybe in combo with this space elevator they are up to."

Pat shurgs, "I'm still not getting my point across. We're going to a planet, yeah, but it's going to be a planet with life. He wouldn't have hired you and a groundling like Ash here to go to a planet without life on it. It seems unlikely at least. "

Wow...I'm surrounded by astronauts! Man, I have to admit I am jealous of that. It has *got* to be a kick to visit other planets! Think you could hook me up with someone to take me to the Moon? Prefferably a lady so we can make good use of the 'alone time''?"

Shrugging again, Pat grins an evil, slightly contemptuous grin, "I could open a warp there right now if you want. So long as you can survive in a vaccum, it's just about that easy. Of course, suns are another story altogether. "

Suddenly looking up at one of the cameras, "You hear that, Michal? I'm an independant contractor. If you're looking for a company man, you're in for a disappointment. You have lawyers, I'm sure they can come up with something equitibile... "

A voice comes from one of the speakers, the same expressionless voice you heard in the entryway. "Michal is perfectly aware of your history with the Daedalus League, Mr. Farrow. His motives for inviting all of you here had nothing to do with their paltry efforts to usurp control of off-planet travel."

From behind a set of bookshelves comes a feminine chuckle and a quiet, "You tell the asshat, Athena."

A voice comes from one of the speakers, the same expressionless voice you heard in the entryway. "Michal is perfectly aware of your history with the Daedalus League, Mr. Farrow. His motives for inviting all of you here had nothing to do with their paltry efforts to usurp control of off-planet travel."

From behind a set of bookshelves comes a feminine chuckle and a quiet, "You tell the asshat, Athena."

Pat looks and sounds angry, yet oddly amused at the same time, "Paltry!? Asshat!!??? Both of you show yourselves, you f**king cowards, so I can dress you down properly! I'll not waste good insults on circuitry and pathetic, bitchy eavesdroppers. "

Another giggle echoes from behind the bookshelf, and a "Nope," comes out before she emerges into sight. She's dressed in what could be described as a police uniform, if the officer in question just stepped off a porno production set. She gives a sultry grin, strong enough to get all of you preening and attempting to get her eyes (and with anywhere between 7-8 successes on a style roll over your guys' Willpower, you are preening). "You'll all find out tomorrow morning at zero eight hundred in the conference room. See you at the Project." Her verbal capitalization was probably deliberate, but none of you notive that for a few minutes until she (and therefore, the very shapely ass you're all staring at) is out of the library and out of sight.

Pat is the only one who hears her say "Hey, Eli. Hope you were giving Nathan a hard time in Mojave. See you tomorrow morning!"

Pat looks and sounds angry, yet oddly amused at the same time, "Paltry!? Asshat!!??? Both of you show yourselves, you f**king cowards, so I can dress you down properly! I'll not waste good insults on circuitry and pathetic, bitchy eavesdroppers. "

After Claire has left the room (and the men have regained their equilibrium), the voice from the speakers speaks again. "It would be quite impossible for me to 'show myself' as you say, Mr. Farrow, because I do not possess a physical form. I suggest that you retire to your rooms, to give yourselves enough time to eat the normal nova-sized breakfast in the morning before your scheduled meeting."

Paul says,

"Wolf. On a different subject, for these group things I often serve as switch board. I can learn a specific animal and then be able to talk to it in the future. This includes people. It's just talk, and either person can turn it off, but the range is just insane, it works over thousands of kilometers. The thing is I have to spend a fair bit of juice to learn someone's signature."

{If either Ash or Pat (or both) are willing Paul will drop 5 (10) juice to set up a Psi-Link and then break it off}

Pat starts cursing as soon as she's out of his earshot, and doesn't stop until after the computer and both of the other men have started speaking coherently. He's quite creative about it actually. Finally, though, he quiets down and looks thoughtful for a minute while the others talk. Without another word, Pat walks out of the room, impossibly gracefully for someone whose limbs are as twisted as his, in search of his room.

Ash looks over again as the dwarf leaves, then looks back at the good doctor.  The thought dosen't sit with him too well, but he says, "I dunno...You wont be rooting around in my head or anything, right?  Will Grumpy be in on it?"
Paul gives a chuckle at the "Grumpy" comment and says,

"No, it doesn't work like that. It's basically a quantum walky-talky. Either person can hang up at will. There's also a two person limit, which is a bit sucky since I have to be one of them. So I can relay stuff, I see 'X' or I'm ready to attack but that's the extent of it."

(Ash gets the impression that's *exactly* the sort of thing that's relayed)

"The advantages are range, and there doesn't seem to be a way to intercept it, and it doesn't cost any juice after it's set up."

Archived