Aberrant: Spirits in Steel - Spirits in Steel

archer

Outskirts of Boulder City, NV:

From seemingly nowhere, Jamie and his companion hear the noise of an impact on the sand, followed by a flat, lethally calm male voice.

"Lay face-down on the ground and put your hands on your heads. No conversation. Do it or die."

Jamie, knowing there was nothing he could do at this point, sullenly sank to his knees and started lowering his body to lay on the ground. The girl, however, wasn't so compliant.

With a mocking smile, she turned to face their invisible enemy, and slowly reached into her baggy jeans pockets, withdrawing a pack of cigarettes and lighter.

She held them up, hands apart to show she meant no harm.

"You gon' make me lay down for you in tha' dirt, at least let a lady smoke first. You got us covered n'way."

Showdown on the highway:

"Sssimple answers to all of your questions... To do the civilly correct thing and stay at the scene of the accident, I was rushing back to the original place I saw your vehicle. Your sssaid hurry forced me to use ssssome of my skillsss. Which isss why the hissss in my speech. It will disssappear soon enough. So Shelby, how'sss about a ride away from the ssscary ninja?"

The driver blinked suspiciously at Erwin. "Sure, why not. I'm sure you won't mind sitting in the back, right?"

Coffee-makin' break-in:

Watching the playback, it only takes a few seconds for the good doctor to see the intruder's digitized transport into his kitchen. Watching with his mouth agape, the 911 operator picks up.

"Hello, yes, I have an intruder at 6969 Gank Square. Yes, I am safe, but please send an officer right away."

Even as he speaks, Robert begins to question what exactly the officer will be able to do when they get there...anyone who could stream out of an appliance likely had other tricks up their sleeve. That, and the fact that the intruder could simply disappear as easily as she had appeared, leaving Svallo to explain an empty house to an irritated cop.

Van, searching through the kitchen for the necessary items to get the coffee started, her keen eye catches something awry. A cookie-jar shaped like Winnie the Pooh sitting on the counter opposite her didn't seem right...aha. ::sly

Focusing on it, she could see that the bear's right eye was a bit too shiny; and now that she was looking right at it, she could even see the micro-movements of the lens as it adjusted focus to follow her activity.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a mocking smile, she turned to face their invisible enemy..

OOC: Or so she might think... ::sly

"You gon' make me lay down for you in tha' dirt, at least let a lady smoke first. You got us covered n'way."

Why on Earth would she..?

Nova. Oh God, I'm going to die here.

A single loud gunshot rang out into the desert night.

"The next one goes in your skull! I told you to get down!" ::angry

Not a trace of fear or hesitation showed in the loud, confident voice..

Van, searching through the kitchen for the necessary items to get the coffee started, her keen eye catches something awry. A cookie-jar shaped like Winnie the Pooh sitting on the counter opposite her didn't seem right...aha.  ::sly

Focusing on it, she could see that the bear's right eye was a bit too shiny; and now that she was looking right at it, she could even see the micro-movements of the lens as it adjusted focus to follow her activity.

Having pinpointed the camera, Van opened a cupboard and found two coffee mugs. Then she turned around and leaned against the bench while waiting for the coffee, looking Winnie the Pooh sqaure in the eye. With a slight smile she winked and waved at the camera, then said

"I'm not here to harm you, Dr Svallo. Coffee?"

As she spoke the words she frowned a bit as she realized there probably wasn't any microphones in the room, then mentally reached out for the surveillance system. If there wasn't, she could at least spell out the same message on the surveillance screens...

• 2 weeks later...

Outskirts of Boulder City, NV:

"The next one goes in your skull! I told you to get down!"

Not a trace of fear or hesitation showed in the loud, confident voice...

Confidence quickly turned to something else as the girl moved abruptly. Diving to one side, she flicked open the lighter and snapped the sparkwheel. Flame roared suddenly from her hands, a searing wall of dancing fire surrounding the girl and obscuring her and her companion from view.

"Crap!" Manifold begins to sprint in the direction or the gunshot.

Running forward, Manifold watches helplessly as the curtain of orange-red flames springs into being around the pair of trespassers.

Flame roared suddenly from her hands, a searing wall of dancing fire surrounding the girl and obscuring her and her companion from view.

Carlo's fear and uncertainty sublime away, leaving only the urge to survive. If you stay where you were, you burn. Reacting almost without thought, the Elite's left knee buckles, and he starts to fall. Tucking his gun under his belly, Carlo turns into a shoulder roll, and quickly regains his feet a meter or so away from where he had been standing. Moving seamlessly from defense to attack, he fires a semi-automatic burst, through the fire if necessary, at the woman. As he fires, he continues to walk slowly but steadily to his left, preventing himself from becoming a stationary target.

Archived