[OpNet] Breaking News!!

N News Service

News Flash from N! News

N! News has just received camera footage from an unknown source showing a massive conflict between the urgent response team known as CodeRed and known Teragen Terrorists.

Doctors Without Borders have verified that CodeRed was called in response to an attack on a small village on the Madeira River in Northern Bolivia.

CodeRed members wear portable video units in order to coordinate field operations and this footage appears to be from those field units. CodeRed has not been available for contact and it is suspected that the Teragen Terrorists are in fact the party responsible for forwarding this data.

While N! News is not in the practice of endorsing terrorism we here feel it is in the interest of public interest to make this footage available. Please be aware that the footage is of an extremely graphic nature. All available child protection filters are in place.

To view the footage continue////

We will bring you more on this breaking story, hopefully with responses from Utopia and Directive representitives.

Well, it appears congratulations are in order.

The Teragen, once merely a fringe element of supremacists, is now vying for status as a full blown terrorist organization presenting a danger to anyone and everyone not agreeing with their somewhat extreme views of social engineering. Oh yes, clearly this was a case of responsibility in action. I'm sure those villagers were a danger to the "evolutionary potential" of the cultists. That must be why it was necessary to murder them in their own homes.

And what about the CodeRed organization? Just a group of concerned citizens of the world trying to do a little good? Try again. Military grade harware, special forces training, and a review of their activities puts them smack dab in the middle of several investigations into;

- human rights violation;

- vigilante activites;

- crimes against humanity.

No, these weren't the cops on the corner just looking to keep the neighborhood quiet. Not unless its normal to accomplish that task with more firepower than the average squad of Green Berets takes into combat.

Nice as well to see N! is still being so adamant in the application of their equal converage policy for anyone or anything that can boost their their stock values or the sponsor's sells just a little higher.

The only thing I find disheartening is that none of the above stuck around long enough to finish off each other, only the innocents caught in the cross fire. A discrepancy I look forward to discussing in great detail with each and everyone one of them in the near future.

Scumbags.

It looks to me like there was more going on in Bolivia than meets the eye. A simple terrorist act? not a very high profile target is it? If it wasn't for the convenient news footage who the hell would know it had happened? Looks to me like a set up, or cover up. This sort of village massacre thing usually only happens during guerilla warfare where one side wants to make an example of collaborators, of course Bolivia is very good drug country...

So the question remains what the hell was actually going on?

It wouldn't be the first time the drug trade made strange bed partners.

More interesting is that a noteworthy organization like Doctor's Without Borders got sucked into the whole sordid affair. Using charitable organizations as a cover isn't a new tactic though. Its going to suck to be DWB if the investigation reveals anything less than benign in the Red Alert organization.

Utopian demogogery aside, its unlikely the village was the target of terrorism per se. More likely they were just an obstacle in the way of someone's mission objective. I did notice that the Teragen haven't claimed responsibility yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune:
I did notice that the Teragen haven't claimed responsibility yet.

Well, not in the media, anyway. If I hear one more word from Cyberpunk boy about this I swear I'm going to start performing indiscriminate format C: in his general vicinity...

Good god. This is not good....

It's never good when ANYONE kills ANYBODY. Nothing good can come of this. This wasn't about politics I'm afraid. It was about wanton DESTRUCTION. Pure and simple. The Teragen have finally shown themselves as irresponsible and negligent. Aren't they supposed to give a damn about their fellow "terats" and keep them in line? I guess they don't. I suppose the idea about having law among novas is moot as well.

Originally posted by Babylon:

Well, it appears congratulations are in order.

The Teragen, once merely a fringe element of supremacists, is now vying for status as a full blown terrorist organization presenting a danger to anyone and everyone not agreeing with their somewhat extreme views of social engineering. Oh yes, clearly this was a case of responsibility in action. I'm sure those villagers were a danger to the "evolutionary potential" of the cultists. That must be why it was necessary to murder them in their own homes.

You're presuming something here. Something very important. You're presuming that the village was the Teragen's primary target. It may just have been... well bait for want of better word.

And what about the Red Alert organization? Just a group of concerned citizens of the world trying to do a little good? Try again. Military grade harware, special forces training, and a review of their activities puts them smack dab in the middle of several investigations into;

- human rights violation;

- vigilante activites;

- crimes against humanity.

No, these weren't the cops on the corner jsut looking to keep the neighborhood quiet. Not unless its normal to accomplish that task with more firepower than the average squad of Green Berets takes into combat.

Really? If I was a baseline trying to protect people in a situation where rampaging novas were a distinct possibilty I'd probably want that much firepower as well. DWB is a respectable organisation who put doctors and medicine into places that other humanatarian organisations balk at sending aid to because of the level of danger involved. I can't see DWB ever knowingly being involved with an organisation that was doing what you've suggested above. Which doesn't mean CodeRed wasn't doing those things though I doubt it. It does mean that I sure as hell hope DWB don't get blamed for this.

Nice as well to see N! is still being so adamant in the application of their equal converage policy for anyone or anything that can boost their their stock values or the sponsor's sells just a little higher.

Now on this I am in total agreement with you. Covering a conflict is one thing but this is just ghoulish and pandering the lowest common denominator.

I have one question. Who the hell released that footage to them?

Twist

LNSE, you're making the assumption that the Teragen were the aggressor or in the wrong on the this one and that may not be the case. Was a diplomatic clearance issued by the Bolivian government to allow Red Alert's entry into their airspace or to conduct combat operations on sovereign soil? Was a dispensation issueZ

Sorry. Catching transmitter distortion from some wanna be thunder god.

Hang on.

Okay, that's better. It never fails to amaze me that these elemental wack jobs never think to explore the ramifications of concepts like electrical ground. Anyway...

LNSE, you're making the assumption that the Teragen were the aggressor or in the wrong on the this one and that may not be the case. Was a diplomatic clearance issued by the Bolivian government to allow CodeRed's entry into their airspace or to conduct combat operations on sovereign soil? Was a dispensation issued to allow use of military weaponry against civilians? If not then CR was operating in disregard of Bolivian and international law. I'm not the champion for the rule of law seeing as what I do for a living is only quasi-legal at best, but I'm not ready to squeeze out a tear just yet.

DWB thinks they know why the CR cell was there but that doesn't mean its actually the truth of the matter. Plus, the toys carried by the CR cells in that video is not a security guard's nightstick, nor is that VTOL aircraft you see in the background standard issue or cheap to operate and maintain.

So in short; a bunch of well armed, highly trained and extremely well funded mercenaries invaded Bolivian soil and promptly got their asses handed to them wrapped in a pretty pink bow. The "truth" may be something else but its a little early to tell by assuming the less photogenic in the encounter were automatically the bad guys.

No, its not 'good' to kill somebody. But we both know that sometimes its the best of the limited options available.

Quote:
Originally posted by <Twist>:
I can't see DWB ever knowingly being involved with an organisation that was doing what you've suggested above.

Hence the reason charitable organizations make great cover for blackbag or off-book operations. Do an opnet search using any decent engine and you'll find evidence of some really dastardly acts perpetrated by groups operating under the aegis of the Red Cross, the Peace Corp or humanitarian efforts sponsored by the U.N. going all the way back to the 1950s.

The beauty of the scheme lies in exploiting the reputation and gooZ

...as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by the unconscious moron on the ground;

The beauty of the scheme lies in exploiting the reputation and good works of the charitable organization by operating under their aegis while actually carrying out a completely different agenda. Thus you can have a group like the Peace Corp, the Red Cross or Doctor's Without Borders serving as completely legitimate operations while simultaneously being used by others possessing their own unique views of what constitutes "good" to gain access to places which they would otherwisebe denied.

Good intentions, the road to hell and all of that. As the investigation continues, just try to bear in mind the friendly docs were probably just trying to do some good and ran afoul of someone else's agenda.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Fortune ]

Owch. that's all I have to say now. Remind me when I'm stepping into someone's yard like that. I'm liable to get some new orifices where they shouldn't be. Damn. If you guys put it like that, the Teragen punks that decided to have a live action first person frag-fest were just proving a point. "Don't f**k with our yard." Message recieved. O_O;

Quote:
Doctors Without Borders have verified that CodeRed was called in response to an attack on a small village on the Madeira River in Northern Bolivia.
We will bring you more on this breaking story, hopefully with responses from Utopia and Directive representitives.

OK, I'm confused. DWB has the connections to summon a push squad? The Directive has a clue as to what goes on in Bolivia? I realize I'm new to this, but I still feel like I missed the first couple of chapters. confused

FYI:

CodeRed Enterprises was the target of that Terat operation.

No, they didn't have clearence for entry into Bolivian airspace. They were in clear violation of international law.

No, they didn't have the legal right to carry the ordinance that they were carrying. Again, they were acting in a criminal manner.

Yes, DWB was aware that the insertion would be illegal, but they believed that it would take too many hours to enter the country legally. They were working on the legality of the situation through the French Embassy and the Swiss Consulate. In emergancy situations, were lives are at stake, that is SOP.

They also knew the team would be armed. They had informed CodeRed that there was a definite and hostile nova presence. Otherwise, they would have used their own resources to enter the country.

No, CodeRed wasn't paid. They rarely, if ever, were given any compensation by the people or organizations they helped. That wasn't why they did it.

As far as I am aware, they had no 'secret agenda' or any of that crap. They were doing what they had been trained for.

How do I know this?

I founded CodeRed three years ago. I felt there was a need for a combined baseline-nova team that could cover the tiny crisises that Utopia didn't have the personnel or the time to deal with.

From my time as an Elite and a merc. freelancer, I had learned that, more often than not, coming in armed and prepared headed off many more armed conflicts than it initiated. From a variety of sources, both legal and illegal, I was able to get bleeding edge equipment for the organization. It was funded through a wide variety of trusts and investments I had set up. It was never a 'for-profit' enterprise.

Over a year ago, I shut the program down on advice from a nova 'in the know', so to speak. I had been training the baseline teams in anti-nova tactics along with their other, more standard, advanced training.

The teams reformed and kept at it anyway, as best they could. They even invited me to join them. I did. In hindsight, not my smartest move as it cost them their lives.

Four months ago, because of independent actions I had been taking along with excessive abscences over things I couldn't explain, they 'let me go'. They offered to maintain a working relationship, but they felt that I had drifted away from their founding goals.

I have been told that they were killed because of independent actions I took. Actions they were not even aware of.

I had warned them that some members of the Teragen were looking for me and ways to hurt or kill me.

I guess, in the end, the lives of a handful of Bolivians they had never even seen or met meant more to them than their own safety.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Smith:
OK, I'm confused. DWB has the connections to summon a push squad?

Maybe not as an organisation (although I wouldn't put it past them), but certainly, some DWB personnel have a great many contacts. The fact that DWB brought CodeRed into this situation certainly doesn't stretch credulity.

Quote:
The Directive has a clue as to what goes on in Bolivia?

They have a clue as to what happens in a lot of places, although often a clue is all they have. At any rate, the Directive doesn't need to have any more clue than Utopia had there to make a statement on what happenned. And knowing the Directive's mission statement, this is definitely something that the Directive would be interested in commenting upon.

Quote:
I realize I'm new to this, but I still feel like I missed the first couple of chapters. confused

Not surprising. A great many of us here take great pains to ensure that we're as well informed as possible, out of habit or necessity, and you're obviously not at that point yet. Personally, I hope you never do, it takes up an astonishing portion of your time and energy to keep up to date, especially in this media-saturated world.

The worst part is, the smart players know that the first few chapters are the keystones to understanding the rest of the book, and as a result, burn them as soon as feasible. But, if you really want to learn more about the socio-political world around you, it's not phenomenally hard. There as still too many conspiracy nuts and data anarchists around, uncovering data for that to happen.

Official Bulletin

Origin: Hinocorp Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan

It is my belief that certain members of the group known as CodeRed had used technology made by our corporation. It is my duty to inform those inquiring, before unmitigated rumors spread, that we believed that CodeRed provided a humanitarian purpose. We had no idea that they were harboring a para-military cadre at their own disposal. But, after further deliberation, we have decided that CodeRed acted in the interest of the human population and tried to offer assistance where Utopia or the UN could not. Furthermore, although we do not condone the use of military force, we do agree that offering themselves to be slaughtered without armament was not an option. It is my sincere offering of condolences to those who lost loved ones in this action that we here at HinoCorp can give. We hope in the future that Utopia or the UN who have jurisdiction in these matters will take more proactive measures in the protection of humanity.

HinoCorp will continue to provide the technology needed to humanitarian organizations, but keep in mind, that we will now look more closely into such organizations. Although contraversial this group is, we WILL NOT WITHDRAW SUPPORT of DWB or CodeRed. This is a situation where we believe the ends justify the means and we will not hide or veil our support of these groups.

-Sakurako "Endeavor" Hino

-Chief Representative: Tokyo Branch Headquarters, Japan.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Endeavor ]

Official Statement

Dr. Hitomi Hino CEO of Hinocorp

Sent from Tokyo HQ.

Fellow chairpersons of Hinocorp

I regret to inform the members of this esteemed group of individuals that I am stepping down from my position in Hino Corporation to take a more proactive role in Nova-Human relations. I have been out of the loop for too long, and things have gone from bad to worse lately. It is my sincere opinion that a new CEO must be elected from this body of individuals before me, with the cheif representative being elected from my family.

I have nothing more to say.

Dammit, people!

Dr. Hino, you are making a difference and making the world a better place. Anyone can go bust some heads, or failing that, hire Vile Bill to do it for them. It takes a special kind of person to give people hope and you do that. Giving people hope was really what CodeRed was all about.

The lesson that the CodeRed Team should leave with us should be that each and every one of us matters and that we can make a difference. It should not be that a bunch of baselines got slaughtered by a bunch of novas and now other novas now have to avenge them.

With Life, there is hope. Learn, Evolve, or Perish.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
The lesson that the CodeRed Team should leave with us should be that each and every one of us matters and that we can make a difference. It should not be that a bunch of baselines got slaughtered by a bunch of novas and now other novas now have to avenge them.

Tell that to the good people who got slaughtered in Bolivia, Oh wait, they're dead.

I've been going over what little film there is of that event and I've come to some rather grim conclusions about the whole affair.

These people were severely undergunned for the resistance they ran into. I count at least 4 Novas, Terats if my information is correct, with the distinct possibility of more off comera. The way the CodRed personnel responded indicates that they weren't expecting the level of resistance that they walked into.

Jager, I see three likely explanations for that cluster-fuck.

1. Your intel was bad. Really, really bad. This, in my opinion is the least likely scenario, but hey, anything's possible.

2. This was a more direct effort on your part to dismantle your teams. You have talked quite a bit about how you tried to shut them down and how creating them was a misjudgement on your part. While I don't like to think of you as being this cold, I again must keep in mind that anything is possible.

3. They were sacrifical lambs meant to appease the more militant minded members of the Teregen. Ever since the Angel-Teen affair (Yes I know you all call it the Costas affair, but I perfer to remember the true tragedy of that situation) you have had a lot of problems with the Teregen and have taken more than your fair share of the heat. I think their are certain members of the Teregen who would see the destruction of your "Nova hunting Baselines" as ironic justice. Fair compensation? To the minds of some, maybe.

I'm sure there are other situations and possibilities that I haven't seen yet, but these somehow seem the most likely. Unfortuately Jager, only you know the truth about really went down and why. At this point I can't really make any judgement calls, but I'd like to hear the truth from you.

What happened?

I originally had something else posted here but luckily a friend reminded me of what's important.

Doc

I wish ya fair winds and following seas. You've got guts to act on your convictions, not to mention the moxie to carry it the logical conclusion. Faith in your eldest seems very well placed as well. Speaking of which; she's a class act despite being a little raw. It's impressive that she not only dealt with a problem before it became one but also took a moment to safeguard the reputation of DWB. Which is more than anyone else associated with the situation did for them.

You'll be seeing me. In a good way, I mean.

Violette: Yeah, out of the loop alright. Some heat's coming down on the whole coproration lately. Let me put things mildly as to what's going on here. Somehow some hackers got into the corporation's financial divisions across this mudball we call Earth. Well, they have just funneled out enough funds from OUR corp to pretty much bankrupt us. The Chap.11 has been filed today. I'm officially out of a job. Luckily enough our family has more than enough personal funds to start over, and the patent royalties to boot. But I just hope things get quieter from now on.

As always, I'm still Endeavor...

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Endeavor ]

Jager,

I need to talk to you about something. I'd rather talk to a few "dead" people, but they're currently unreachable, and you're the most accessible person for the moment.

Contact me privately with a Time/Place to meet. I'd set a meeting place, but then that'd be putting you out, you know?

Jordan, I apoligize for not getting them all Powered Space Armor and Particle Accelerator Cannons. They must have been out of them when I went shopping.

As for the rest, why do you want to know?

Fortune...I guess I owe you a word of thanks. Thanks.

Endeavor glad to see this reversal of fortunes hasn't got you down. Keep at it.

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Jager ]

Jager: Thanks. I heard what happened through the grapevine, and I'm sorry. The cause in my opinion was just, but faced an unstoppable force. If there really was trouble you should have called a few of us on the boards up. We would have been glad to help. As for those who can't stop riding your back, they need to back off. Even now. He lost some good friends in that battle. Can't we let him mourn?

I've been weeding around the shadows a bit with Debugger. It seems our friendly neighborhood hackers who shut my company down are a cadre of highly trained novas who operate as the "Akihabara 7". I've dug further and found out that they were under an independent contract to an unknown client. I'd sure like to know who. Or there will be carbon scoring and bits of flesh where they were standing. I'm that pissed right now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
If there really was trouble you should have called a few of us on the boards up. We would have been glad to help.

Not of all us, hon. Don't be too quick to volunteer everyone. Jager already knows this, which is one of many reasons he didn't ask for the assistance of the Forumites.

And Sakura-chan, trust me, you didn't want to be there.

Quote:

As for those who can't stop riding your back, they need to back off. Even now. He lost some good friends in that battle. Can't we let him mourn?

Will you be so quick to defend him if Mr. Rossi's assessment turns out to be correct, and Jager sacrificed the teams willingly?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Jordan, I apoligize for not getting them all Powered Space Armor and Particle Accelerator Cannons. They must have been out of them when I went shopping.

Now your just being assinine. Fine, if undergunned doesn't suit your palette how about underprepared? The truth is those people were expecting less resistance then they walked into. Knowing how anal retentive you are about having accurate intel before going "on a mission," I find it highly suspect that you, or they, dropped the ball like that.

As for the rest, why do you want to know?

Why wouldn't I want to know? If you observed me partaking of questionable acts that were out of character for me (as far as you understand me), I would expect you to call me on it.

Oh, and the fact that some of those people were friends of mine might have something to do with it as well.

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: Jordan Rossi ]

Quote:
Endeavor sincerely said:
The cause in my opinion was just, but faced an unstoppable force.

I think its great that you acted on your beliefs and took the time to deal with the damage to the reputation of Doctors Without Borders. Now here's the reminder you asked for earlier; you're stepping into someone's yard. I like you, Endeavor, I really do, but you don't have a clue as to what's going on and you need to stay out of this until you do. The issues are larger than black vs white while the stakes are higher than a 200 yen manga rag.

Concentrate on the A-7 counterstrike against Hino. And stay sharp pretty pencil soldier.

*grins* Let me put it like this you guys. I have other things on my mind right now than having myself step into a battle royale between elites. Even less time to even think about the Teragen. Neither are of my concern. I couldn't care less of the Teragen or their philosophies. Won't now, never have, never will. Yeah, I stepped into something, but when I do, I usually take a step back and wipe the stuff off my boots. Then I walk around.

I got the point, yet I gotta say what's on my mind, you know. Something about this smells to high heaven and I'm just as curious as everyone here is as to what's REALLY going on. I support Jager in this issue yet It's only as far as morale. I would have laid down myself if he asked me to join in the operation. Forget politics here, I just feel like I needed to help yet wasn't informed it was needed. S**t, now I'm getting a guilty concience... I need some sake...

Never is a very long time in what could be a very long life. I would submit that your not too long ago eruption is sufficient evidence that the certainty of life is anything but that.

Ampwells are cheaper when balanced against the quantity of sake required. Tossing a few back might be a less than effective tactical response, still, I imagine you know best where your own life is concerned. After all; the action against Hino Corp probably wasn't rooted in complex motivations. And even if it were I'm sure Doctor Hino is capable taking care of herself and Mizuko.

Nomihosu.

:P

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: Fortune ]

Darn straight. Alhtough I wouldn't mind returning to the middle class, My ever intelligent mother always has some sort of reserves somewhere to start up a new money tree... How does she do that...

I know she's legit and all, but damn woman. I'd swear she was a survivalist. She probably has gold bars under her matress. Or at least a few million yen. Must be her stock in viasoft or some other happy horsesh*t.

As for sake, It's for the flavor, not the buzz. Ampwells? I've had a few shots. Then I start thinking I can sing, and everyone runs from the karaoke machines. *grins*

Ah, it's great living in Japan. All the fugu you can eat. *grins* Oh how I love my metabolisim!

I hate you all. So a bunch of nova killers are dead. I lost some friends too. Everyone involved here knew the risks, sorry the villagers had to be the bait but hey, exeptable losses. I thought Jager was out of the business, but you know if he did send in those teams, I tend to agree with Rossi, something is definatly fishy here. Like lambs to the slaughter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Apep:
I hate you all. So a bunch of nova killers are dead. I lost some friends too. Everyone involved here knew the risks, sorry the villagers had to be the bait but hey, exeptable losses. I thought Jager was out of the business, but you know if he did send in those teams, I tend to agree with Rossi, something is definatly fishy here. Like lambs to the slaughter.

In the past I would have dove into this conspiracy fest, however, with my recent experiences I feel that perhaps staying out of this would be in my best interest.

Endeavor, you like fugu? I have some splendid recipes I've come up with. You can ask Jager, my culinary skills are quite formidable. We could have a nice chat over dinner. I could perhaps explain some of the finer points of Teras, the ones not involving wholesale slaughter of baselines.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
*grins* You do seem to be the more civilized of the Teragen. I'll tell you what, I'll think about it. I may need more of an... education of the world.

Oh yes, glad to know that you and Violette are together when you lump us all into the "murderer" category. I hadn't realized you saw me as so barbaric, little one.

Quote:

Oh, I may let you in on a few of my philosophies. Perhaps meeting on a neutral ground we can come to a better understanding of things. Sort of a peace treaty between me and you. We have had a adversarial relationship here on the boards. But as I said before, we geniuses need to stick together.

No comment.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
Oh yes, glad to know that you and Violette are together when you lump us all into the "murderer" category. I hadn't realized you saw me as so barbaric, little one.

If the shoe fits...

You're the one who declared you'd hunt down and kill the baseline family of one of Jager's CodeRed people if they went rogue.

Are you disappointed you may not get to?

Fugu? You'd use the only group of French musicians J and I can tolerate listening to in order to make a snack? The French have so few decent musicians to begin with that it could irrepairable harm to their culture, such as it is, to lose them.

eek

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Fortune ]