Aberrant RPG - Aberrants. In. Spaaaaaaaaaace!

Sphere

The Occult recently started talks about the possible inclusion of magic and supernatural (but non-WoD) elements in the Aberrant era. I was just wondering if people wanted to start another one to discuss something that goes a little more sci-fi.

(SPOILER NOTE: Gryffen you may want to skip this one, I don't want any spoilers to slip through to you. Of course I may also drop some lies in just in case you do peek buddy ;-)

In the game I currently run my Players have just embarked on their first extrasolar jaunt. Not really having the time to work out what the alien societies would be like a couple of centuries earlier I decided to adapt the information from the Alien Encounters sourcebooks.

Here's what the Players have discovered so far.

There is a space-faring species called the Chromatics that attacked the Players as soon as they identified them as Novas. Although possessed of biotechnology they appear to be quite primitive socially and mentally. They are at war with "The Corruptors" who are agents of "The Annihilator".

The Players, being a bunch of tainted psychopaths and wannabe super-villains, have assumed the Chromatics have them pegged as corruptors, so they're intending to go to war with the frogs and nick some fusion warheads (the Medellin have hired Totentanz to kill them back home so that's their big plan to "deal" with him).

So what kind of thoughts do people have on an alternate Aberrant universe where the Chromatics, the Qin, and even that pesky Coalition are active?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't sound that "alternate" to me.

???

The game I run is set in 2010 (ie not Trinity). Chromatics already have big ass warships and are being goaded into a holy war on the corruptors by the "Bodiless Ones".

It's certainly not as alternative as, say a game setting where N-Day happened in Roman times, but shunting a modified version of the Chromatic War back to the Aberrant era still counts as alternative.

Perhaps I should say "non-canon"? Unless you know the page number in the corebook where it says "Project Utopia battles alien warfleet off Mars." ::wink

Not really looking for a somantic debate. More some ponderings on how things would change in the Aberrant era if the various aliens of Trinity were brought in.

The introduction of Aliens, especially hostile aliens, would provoke a whole “us vs. them” outcry among the baseline (and perhaps nova) masses. Everyone would rally around the flag.

1) Support for the Teragen would decrease. Personal evolution and navel studying is less important than survival of the planet. Social acceptance of novas would be higher since there would be other, more important issues (man with glowing eyes vs. baby eating alien, which would you prefer as a neighbor?) With more social acceptance of novas and their aberrations there would be less pressure for novas to band together and/or join the Teragen.

2) Support for Utopia would increase. Utopia would jump on the bandwagon and it would be very hard to claim their accomplishments weren’t real. Utopian Taint would decrease because there would be less need for “bread and circuses”. The African transformation project would fall by the wayside. I.e., Utopia wouldn’t have it’s novas powermaxing several times a day.

3) The Elite phenomena would change a lot in terms of their outlook and everyone’s outlook of them. Young novas wanting to make a name for themselves by shedding blood wouldn’t have to do so with human blood. The various organizations funding wars in banana republics would have a real enemy to deal with. In cannon abby, the elite phenomena builds terats. In your abby, the elite phenomena would build utopians. That is HUGE.

There is a saying, Nothing focuses attention like a noose.

Some interesting points. I can definitely see an upswing in Elite recruitment happening. No moral problems with battling an alien species that wants to see you exterminated as a threat to galactic security. Plus Earth would probably be heavily reliant on Nova-kind in the initial stages of a Chromatic assault. Squads would be sent out to destroy and steal warships whilst an Earth fleet was constructed.

Not sure that you'd see a loss in Terat membership. It's just as possible that people would start blaming Novas for attracting the wrath of these aliens. Once any level of contact with the Chromatics was established and humans started learning why the Chromatics despised quantum-born types so much. Proteus could easily use it as a demonstration of why Novas are such a massive threat.

Would the Terats join with baseline humanity to fight the Chromatics? There'd be some that might. But others might take advantage of the chaos to seize control. I can see the Primacy or Pandaemonium offering to save humans who'd agree to become the equivelant of cattle for the One Race.

(Another slight alteration of fact/canon. The aberrants who caused so much suffering for Chromatic-kind were an advance raiding party from a certain worldship. Taint-wracked Furys. Of course this means that humans aren't the only erupted species in the universe).

Some interesting points. I can definitely see an upswing in Elite recruitment happening. No moral problems with battling an alien species that wants to see you exterminated as a threat to galactic security. Plus Earth would probably be heavily reliant on Nova-kind in the initial stages of a Chromatic assault. Squads would be sent out to destroy and steal warships whilst an Earth fleet was constructed.

Exactly.

Not sure that you'd see a loss in Terat membership.

The Teragen’s big recruiting ground are elites with the “elite” mentality, and the social outcasts. A space war partly deals with the later and shifts the former to Utopia. That’s really huge.

It's just as possible that people would start blaming Novas for attracting the wrath of these aliens.

Unlikely. The aliens make al-Qaida look sane, reasonable, and understandable. The aliens also don’t have any human supporters from a cultural or religious stand point. How many red-neck bible thumpers do you know who are also supporters of al-Qaida? During a time of popular war you don’t scapegoat the warriors. Other minorities might be blamed for the aliens, but more likely the aliens themselves would be blamed.

Once any level of contact with the Chromatics was established and humans started learning why the Chromatics despised quantum-born types so much. Proteus could easily use it as a demonstration of why Novas are such a massive threat.

Proteus exists to suppress that sort of information. They (and most of the other nova groups) could and would easily brush that aside… and even if it came out completely (which is unlikely) the aliens view this as a war of extermination, so will we. After that little fact becomes known most people won’t really care about the *why* about it.

Would the Terats join with baseline humanity to fight the Chromatics? There'd be some that might. But others might take advantage of the chaos to seize control. I can see the Primacy or Pandemonium offering to save humans who'd agree to become the equivalent of cattle for the One Race.

You missed the point. True, only some of the Teragen would join the fight, especially if it meant going under the authority of Utopia. But the point is that most novas would no longer be joining the Teragen. The elites would now have a mind set of joining Utopia. The social outcasts would have a place as well. The whole “are novas human and subject to human laws” bit would be brushed aside as immaterial to the war.

Teragen sabotage of Utopia would now be viewed as treason to both nova and baseline races. Your core Terats would probably stick with the Teragen... but would be and want-ta-be Terats would not. Is Anna DeVries going to join with the Teragen and oppose Utopia or is she going to try to save everything she has built by working with Utopia?

If aliens make the Earth uninhabitable then I don’t see what the Primacy could hope to offer survival-wise. Go off planet? That’s where the aliens are, isn’t it?

Something to remember, during WWII, the United States sang the praises of “Uncle” Joe (Stalin). Not because we liked him but because we had other things to worry about.

Not sure that you'd see a loss in Terat membership. It's just as possible that people would start blaming Novas for attracting the wrath of these aliens. Once any level of contact with the Chromatics was established and humans started learning why the Chromatics despised quantum-born types so much. Proteus could easily use it as a demonstration of why Novas are such a massive threat.

The only way I could see this happening is if the aliens behind the Chromatics (and the psions from Trinity) actively had their agents on earth provide proof (real or manufactured) that Novas were the reason the Chromatics were attacking earth. Sure, some people might accuse Novas of being the reason these aliens are invading, but when the Novas are defending earth from said aliens, most people will likely not be so eager to place blame on them.

Of course, behind the scenes, government types will likely be more concerned, especially if the Novas beat the Chromatics quickly and decisively. That will be a sure sign of the kind of threat the Novas could present to mankind.

Kind of like the recurring storyline in Justice League Unlimited, where the US government started Project Cadmus to provide a counter to the league in case they went rogue (ala the Justice Lords). Having an army of metahumans and a satellite armed with a death ray tends to make people a bit paranoid....

Actually, the novas could easily be blamed for an alien invasion. Consider this: novas are the first humans that go extra-solar. They encounter aliens who want to destroy humanity. Who would you blame? Although, I suppose it'd depend a lot on which orginization(s) sent the expedition, and how the public found out about the Chromatic threat. This is Aberrant, remember, secrets are commonplace, and public opinion is all about spin, baby. Various orginizations would use the information different ways. Certain orginizations are certain the blame novas. Other are just as certain to point out that they're humanity's best denfense, and try to mitigate any blame. In the end, what the vast majority of humanity ends up believing and doing will depend on how the news hits, how it's spun, and how various key figures and orginizations respond to it. After that it's just a matter of strange attractors and self-orginization.

Don't forget that there are other things in space that make the frogs look like, well...frogs. ::rolleyes Use your imagination folks. There are many possible hazzards for you to use. Let's take a look, like reasonable Novas, shall we?

#1) Rogue Energies: Dark Energy,Black Holes and Cosmic Rays of exploded stars may still be very problomatic for the Earth: like sterilization,EMP on a global scale or outright devastation.

#2) Rogue Objects: Asteroids, planetoids and even rogue stars may come awfully close to our one-and-only Earth. The asteroids may even be a "soften-them-up bombardment" from various aliens. Grab an asteroid from the asteroid belt, chuck it at where you think the Earth will be and start again. Sooner or later the asteroids will be on target and too massive to be easily stopped/deflected/destroyed by the defenders. Victory is near, but wait! The PC's may have a Warp or FTL capable character/Gadget to take the battle to the aliens.

#3) Other aliens. Come on, use the imagination here. Pick some sort of alien threat, and give them stats. Toss 'em at PCs and have some fun. ::tongue

Actually, the novas could easily be blamed for an alien invasion. Consider this: novas are the first humans that go extra-solar. They encounter aliens who want to destroy humanity. Who would you blame?
It's going to be really hard to "spin" a group of baby eating aliens who are trying to exterminate mankind so that anyone cares who is at "fault".

Not really. Just because that's what they are and why they're attacking Earth doesn't mean that the general populace will find out about them in that context. Whomever reveals their existence and that they threaten Earth can tell the people anything he likes about them, even that they just hate novas and want to kill all of them, but not baseline humans. It'd be an easy accusation to make even after the revelation of their existence, because so far the only humans that the aliens have encountered so far have been novas. Anything can be spun, Alex, anything. I mean, isn't dubbya president? ::nuclear

Personally I don't think Nova popularity would fall, not even Proteus would think that getting rid of the superhumans just as a nuclear-capable alien warfleet hove into view would be a good idea. More likely they'd be recruiting as many as possible to throw at the oncoming Chromatics in order to buy time to build a fleet of their own.

Especially when they realised that the Chromatics were going to wipe out the "seed species" for the corruptors as well.

What does everyone think the Teragen reaction would be? Would they attempt to get off-world to a habitable planet where they could have some time to prep their defenses? Perhaps hijack a warship and set out for parts unknown? Or would Mal save his "children" like he did at Bahrain? Will the big fella put a few focused plasma strikes across the bow of the Chromy fleet and tell them to back off?

Just because that's what they are….

Gasp, choke, sputter. “Just because”???

…doesn't mean that the general populace will find out about them in that context. Whomever reveals their existence and that they threaten Earth can tell the people anything he likes about them, even that they just hate novas and want to kill all of them, but not baseline humans. It'd be an easy accusation to make...

That works until they massacre their first group of baselines. The aliens can't tell nova-kind from baseline-kind (nor do they care). Think back to the kind of unity that occurred after 9-11. No matter who spins this, no matter how it is spun, after the aliens start killing people (likely the first meeting) opinion is sealed. Clinton couldn’t act against Al-Quida because everyone would assume he was trying to distract everyone from his various scandals. Bush isn’t so bound.

Worse, who is it that’s going to be spinning this against the novas? Project Utopia? Proteus? Those are the groups who most likely have the resources, but they also have zero motivation to do something like that. The Directive? ”Yes, our agents have found a group of baby eating aliens who threaten to destroy man kind… curse those aberrants?”

The only group I can see trying to spin this against novas is the Church of Michael. They are also the least likely to be in a situation where they can. All the other groups, including the Teragen, are much more likely to see the aliens as the primary threat, simply because they are the primary threat.

Or would Mal save his "children" like he did at Bahrain? Will the big fella put a few focused plasma strikes across the bow of the Chromy fleet and tell them to back off?

Mal would either do nothing (because that's what he normally does... I think because of aberrations) or he would butcher them.

Or would Mal save his "children" like he did at Bahrain? Will the big fella put a few focused plasma strikes across the bow of the Chromy fleet and tell them to back off?

The most likely action from Mal would be to save his "children". Does anyone remember Mercers letter in adventure?

• 1 month later...

What letter from Mercer in Adventure? I never got Adventure, so I know that I am missing out on 1/3 rd of the whole story-line. Can you give me the general gist of this letter, please?

As to other things to find in space, just look at things from old movies. Fobidden Planet rocks!!! I recommend seeing it to everyone. The gist of the movie is Human explorers find the functioning ruins of "Krell" civilization. Technology that is insanely beyond the Humans best. The Krell Tech even tries to "upgrade" the intellect of anybeing that uses a certain device. This device was used by the movie villain and his mind's ability to kill (Monsters from the Id) was unleashed, but any ability to control this power, sadly was not granted.

Essentially it's a discussion of the rise of the Inspired of the Adventure era from the perspective of Mal (then Dr Primoris). Basically the seed of the philosophy he introduces to the Teragen. It's followed by a counter-argument by Max Mercer.

You can see from the Primoris letter why he sides with the Nazis in WW2.

• 1 year later...

Essentially it's a discussion of the rise of the Inspired of the Adventure era from the perspective of Mal (then Dr Primoris). Basically the seed of the philosophy he introduces to the Teragen. It's followed by a counter-argument by Max Mercer.

You can see from the Primoris letter why he sides with the Nazis in WW2.

Um, no offense, but. . . wtf?

Primoris didn't "side" with the Nazis during WWII. He tried to prevent WWII from ever happening in the first place. His first suggested way was for people like the Aeon Society to more actively take a hand in world affairs, and guide events. Not quite world conquest, but definitely world manipulation. His second idea was to basically make "telluric" effects universally available, with a second, improved Hammersmith type event.

Mercer's response to the first idea, while including legitimate points about the moral character of the inspired, also included a rather disturbing amount of "the future war, with its mass atrocity, is necessary for mankind's development." Mercer's response to his *second* solution, is "Aeon Society, attack!"

There is a reason that, in the campaign I play in, Maxwell Mercer ranks of one of the setting's top major villains.

Primoris didn't "side" with the Nazis during WWII.

We don't actually know the details on this. It's possible that Prime was trying to avoid the war, but it's also possible he was instructing Nazis on how to be better Nazis. Considering the parallels between the Teragen and the Nazis (see Ethics of the Teragen and Is the Teragen Evil ) I really have to wonder.

As for Max… it’s hard to say. In a way he’s like John Connor of the Terminator series. He knows of very rough times are coming for humanity. He knows mistakes are going to be made. He knows that ultimately, humanity will pull through. One of the fiction books that branched off the Terminator series had the potential results from T2. John and Sara managed to postpone the atomic war by about 10 years by blowing up that building and killing Rice. The problem is that the level of technology to which Sky-way had access was thus 10 years more advanced. Sky-way thus managed to perfect and produce the T-1000 and was going to win the war.

Max is in a situation where if he tries to alter time, and screws up, he could end up causing the end of humanity or far more and far longer dark times than we did get.

I believe I've looked at both those threads, but sorry, I'm not convinced. Donighal did believe in superior people, but said superior people were those influenced by telluric energies, most especially those in the Aeon Society. Likewise, he was sympathetic with the secret society that was trying to prevent war with covert activity. His final canon chat with Mercer talked about how he didn't think the upcoming world war was necessary or unavoidable.

I have a really, really hard time aligning such with the idea that he'd side with genocidal psychos, when scant years before he'd been plotting ways to prevent those genocidal psychos from being able to enact their ambitions.

This is one of those situations where it doesn't matter what you want, but what actually happened. Primoris was an ally of the Nazis; we just don't know the specifics. However, there are a lot of strong hints that he wasn't trying to stop it, but was interested in the Nazi medical program.

But that's just me...

FR

I have a really, really hard time aligning such with the idea that he'd side with genocidal psychos, when scant years before he'd been plotting ways to prevent those genocidal psychos from being able to enact their ambitions.
Not years, Decades, later becoming more than a century.

The difference is 4 times through the big "C". Which gives him a -8 on his social rolls and IMHO some serious mental aberrations that he covers well via Taint Resistance.

Doctor Prime might have wanted to stop the war in the 1920's & 30's. But by 2030 his followers were calling for the extermination of all baselines. He may not have started out evil, but his path sure led him there.

This is one of those situations where it doesn't matter what you want, but what actually happened. Primoris was an ally of the Nazis; we just don't know the specifics. However, there are a lot of strong hints that he wasn't trying to stop it, but was interested in the Nazi medical program.

But that's just me...

FR

Um, thats the thing: I'm not seeing where it was ever said he had anything to do with the Nazis. If you could point out where it said such. . .?

Not years, Decades, later becoming more than a century.

The difference is 4 times through the big "C". Which gives him a -8 on his social rolls and IMHO some serious mental aberrations that he covers well via Taint Resistance.

Doctor Prime might have wanted to stop the war in the 1920's & 30's. But by 2030 his followers were calling for the extermination of all baselines. He may not have started out evil, but his path sure led him there.

Nonono, I'm talking about the idea that he sided with the Nazis in the 40s. Totally agreed, by the time of the Aberrant era, he's almost incapable of interacting with baselines, and isn't hugely bothered by their deaths in the general sense, if necessary. And part of his problem wrt followers in the Aberrant era, IMHO, is his seeming aversion against coercion. He doesn't seem willing to order or demand something even under circumstances wherein doing so is detrimental to his own cause and goals ( an aberration, maybe? ).

Um, thats the thing: I'm not seeing where it was ever said he had anything to do with the Nazis. If you could point out where it said such. . .?

Actually, a good point. We know that he was defeated by Aeon in 1943, and that by then his philosophy had, by then, matched theirs (as per his letter to Mercer on page 102). From this, it's usually inferred that he was an ally to the Nazis, at least until 1943...

FR

And part of his problem wrt followers in the Aberrant era, IMHO, is his seeming aversion against coercion. He doesn't seem willing to order or demand something even under circumstances wherein doing so is detrimental to his own cause and goals ( an aberration, maybe? ).

Not unwilling. In the NOLK he is willing and able to kill any Terat who gets in the way of where he wants to lead the Teragen.

Not capable. IMHO Mal has “Megalomania” and “schizophrenia”. There’s a reason why both of those are in the core book. They might as well have his picture next to them. Sophia and the Directive marvel at his being removed from his movement (i.e. from reality) in the Directive.

Megalomania: He thinks he’s an over the top, outright god and deserves worship.

Schizophrenia: He’s just not dealing with reality. With Mega-Int 8 and all Mega-Socials at 3-5, He thinks beating up Pax on public TV is going to bring him around.

Nor do I get the feeling he is in favor of killing and eating baselines just to kill and eat baselines. He is noble, the movement he creates is savage. I don’t think it’s that he doesn’t care, I think it’s more like he isn’t dealing with reality. What he *has* to do is wait and see where his movement goes, and then declare that’s where he wanted to go.

Actually, a good point. We know that he was defeated by Aeon in 1943, and that by then his philosophy had, by then, matched theirs (as per his letter to Mercer on page 102). From this, it's usually inferred that he was an ally to the Nazis, at least until 1943...

FR

I've read the letter. His philosophy does *not* match the Nazis. If anything, it resembles what Project Utopia pretended to be on the surface.

And, IIRC, it was established somewhere ( I can't remember where ) that what Primoris was trying to do in 1943 was recreate the Hammersmith accident on a larger scale.

And part of his problem wrt followers in the Aberrant era, IMHO, is his seeming aversion against coercion. He doesn't seem willing to order or demand something even under circumstances wherein doing so is detrimental to his own cause and goals ( an aberration, maybe? ).

Not unwilling. In the NOLK he is willing and able to kill any Terat who gets in the way of where he wants to lead the Teragen.

Not capable. IMHO Mal has “Megalomania” and “schizophrenia”. There’s a reason why both of those are in the core book. They might as well have his picture next to them. Sophia and the Directive marvel at his being removed from his movement (i.e. from reality) in the Directive.

Megalomania: He thinks he’s an over the top, outright god and deserves worship.

Schizophrenia: He’s just not dealing with reality. With Mega-Int 8 and all Mega-Socials at 3-5, He thinks beating up Pax on public TV is going to bring him around.

Nor do I get the feeling he is in favor of killing and eating baselines just to kill and eat baselines. He is noble, the movement he creates is savage. I don’t think it’s that he doesn’t care, I think it’s more like he isn’t dealing with reality. What he *has* to do is wait and see where his movement goes, and then declare that’s where he wanted to go.

I can buy most of this ( though I'm not totally sure about your take on the NOLK; IIRC, most of the variants had Mal keeping his hands off while somebody or other shanked the competition. And given the book gave options to have any of the factions gain ascendance. . . ).

I would also argue that he's not technically Megalomaniacal and, per se, Schizophrenic. What he is, major major league, is Obsessed and Autistic. He has a Vision and an Ideal, and he'll try and follow that Ideal to that Vision, even if he should no better about the efficacy. Combine that with ( IMO ) an increasing inability to socially understand and interact with even lesser novas, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

( wait, I guess I didn't agree with most of what you wrote after all ::sly )

*blink*blink*

How did I just reply to both of your posts in one of mine? I didn't cut and paste. . .

I would also argue that he's not technically Megalomaniacal and, per se, Schizophrenic. What he is, major major league, is Obsessed and Autistic.

I would translate that into, he's got the mental aberrations with a 10 willpower and the Resist Taint enhancement.

Mal's (and Pax's) aberrations fit organically onto the character to the point where we just can't tell if they are “real” or not. It's possible to make the argument that Mal is so powerful that he should be worshipped... but then again, back in the 1980's he was this powerful and he didn't demand worship. Another thing about their aberrations is if we assume they *aren't* aberrations, then we have to supply new aberrations for the characters that no one has noticed.

Social penalties are supposed to have a cause, and that cause is aberration.

Mal has a truck full of aberrations that go hand in hand with his social penalties (and could be argued to *cause* his social penalties.) If his aberration problems aren’t mental, then what are they and why do people in cannon claim to be horrified by these mental issues? Meaning that if he makes rooms uncomfortably warm everywhere he goes, why has no one has remarked upon it and/or anyone seemed to be discomforted by it?

Pax has at least taint = 6. We know he has extreme problems relating with other people socially to the point where T2M members transfer to other departments because of "his raging ego".

I don't know, in Pax's case, it may be just that he really is an arrogant ass. ;-)

That said, you do have the point that its tough to tell where their character ends and their taint begins. I would like to note, however, that the social penalties come from the taint level, independent of what aberrations are possessed. While some aberrations would logically cause social issues, others would not, so I figure its the underlying taint and "otherness" that causes the problems, not the fact that the nova has, say, silver eyes or fire for hair.

• 1 year later...

They don't let me run things in space anymore....Something about teleporters being able to see the sun...

FR

Hah, we were actually going to try throwing somebody through a gate into the sun. . . sadly, didn't get the chance. Were occupied with other tasks, and then the Seven Thunder we ended up confronting parried our time stop attempts with his sword.

One day, however. . . we *will* throw someone into the sun.

My group never dropped anyone into the sun - but we did dispose of a counting-down antimatter bomb by sending it through to the general vicinity of Alpha Centauri. (And - had the game continued for another 4.3 years of game time, would have gotten my Resources 5 character about another $100mil. ::cool )

• 9 months later...

My group never dropped anyone into the sun - but we did dispose of a counting-down antimatter bomb by sending it through to the general vicinity of Alpha Centauri. (And - had the game continued for another 4.3 years of game time, would have gotten my Resources 5 character about another $100mil. ::cool )

Really late question, but. . .

Why would your character have gotten the money?

Really late question, but. . .

Why would your character have gotten the money?

My character placed a bet, that at exactly X moment, there would be a nuclear explosion in the Alpha Centauri system. This was placed at one of those odd British gambling places that let you bet on virtually anything. So, at 1000:1 odds ... he dropped them $100k, and then had to wait for the light to reach back to Earth. ::biggrin

Baselines shouldn't let Novas gamble.

We had a game where a group of novas went to Vegas in a timeline that didn't have novas. Basically we won until they stopped letting us play. Luck is especially abusive for this. While Casinos watch for people "too skilled" to let play, they don't look for people too lucky... and we weren't taking the Casinos' money anyway.

Archived