Trinity Universe: New Game

knave

Well, here are my thoughts, Knave, in order of importance.

First of all, do whatever you want! The more the ST (you) is into it, the more fun the game will be. So don't let the bastards (us) grind you down. ::wink

That said, since you're looking for public opinion, I would personally rather play a Trinity game, whether you'd allow Holo Lives characters or not - and from your comments, I gather that you probalby wouldn't. I just downloaded the TPG (legally, no less) and am full to bursting with character ideas.

If you made an Aberrant game, I would probably play in it too, though that's strictly a "probably" until I get a sweet character idea.

And I don't have Adventure! so if you go that route, I'm out. ::blush

Well, I don't really mind what we play as long as it's an idea I like.

I am someone who gets lots of concept ideas all the time - I could could never run them all anyway so it's just a case of finding one that works and fits the mood, and running with it.

Ok - from the looks of the poll people really want to play Trinity. Fair enough. ::biggrin

If the poll still looks like that on Tuesday I'll run Trinity.

If I do that I will definitely allow characters from HL to continue AND/OR new characters to be introduced. I will probably start the game a year or so after London Bridge... That will explain team changes etc.

Sorry Phoenix. My desktop HDD crashed just before XMas and I lost a lot of things. I thought I'd kept a copy of all the HL stuff on my laptop so that I could work on it during my daily commute, but it seems I only kept my plotlines and working notes ::dontgetit

I'm such a muppet.

When my new desktop arrives I'll try to restore everything, but I'm not holding my breath...

On the up side the new one will have a RAID disk. ::blush

Re: PIXI - probably... I'll decide on Tuesday what I'm running based on the poll and proceed from there.

Regardless of what I run there will definitely be opportunities for new players. And should it be Trinity continuing players will need to send me their sheets again since the crash killed mine off.

::tongue

Ok. Since it's 50/50 abbie / trinity I'll go with my Aberrant Exodus idea since it's been a week and I still like it.

45 Nova Point Novas

Q Max 5.

No 'weaknesses' - prof style rules apply.

The intro will be up by tomorrow. You might want to wait for that before going into detail on backgrounds.

GAME ON!

So...now that we have confirmation, does anyone know what they are going to play?

I was thinking about a guy who is turning into an energy being...but im not sure. I was wanting to see what other people were playing to see what we might need (Except a cleric...I dont wan' be no cleric).

Subject to (massive) adjustment/re-writing pending environment description.

Jason was about 100 meters away when Wycoff detonated. That’s less impressive than it sounds, he was in a tunnel and most of that 100 meters was dirt, water, concrete, etc. The tunnel instantly collapsed and filled with dirt and water, and between the massive wave of taint radiation and being buried alive he erupted and transformed into mud. Being buried alive in the darkness was something of a problem but he stopped panicking when he discovered he didn’t need to breath and he could generate his own light.

Jason has the power to transform into mud and control his consistency and form. He can be become harder than granite or flexible as a liquid. Even human he doesn’t need to breath and his mud form can exist in environments where mud shouldn’t be possible, like in a hard vacuum. He can also adjust his own taint energies. To an extremely limited degree he can also manipulate other people’s taint energies; it’s easier to just turn them into indestructible mud.

Oddly he doesn’t leave muddy foot prints, all of his mud is part of him and it goes with him.

OOC: I strongly suggest everyone take at least one dot of “Survival”. We may not need to breath but any mistakes made in space can be pretty brutal on the entire community.

You know...Prof has got me in this attitude...

Im going for a space NINJA consept now.

NOt posting history right now as I may add a twist or two in it...

As for powers...he is super-stealthy. While he cant become invisable (yet) he can alter his skin color to blend with the environment. Basically think "Ninja" and you have him.

Jason was about 100 meters away when Wycoff detonated. That�s less impressive than it sounds, he was in a tunnel and most of that 100 meters was dirt, water, concrete, etc. The tunnel instantly collapsed and filled with dirt and water, and between the massive wave of taint radiation and being buried alive he erupted and transformed into mud. Being buried alive in the darkness was something of a problem but he stopped panicking when he discovered he didn�t need to breath and he could generate his own light.

Jason has the power to transform into mud and control his consistency and form. He can be become harder than granite or flexible as a liquid. Even human he doesn�t need to breath and his mud form can exist in environments where mud shouldn�t be possible, like in a hard vacuum. He can also adjust his own taint energies. To an extremely limited degree he can also manipulate other people�s taint energies; it�s easier to just turn them into indestructible mud.

Oddly he doesn�t leave muddy foot prints, all of his mud is part of him and it goes with him.

Oh, how cool... ::cool ::thumbsup

Oh, how cool... ::cool  ::thumbsup

Thank you. ::blush

Warning: Speculation

On the subject of what nova powers would (will) be really useful on a lunar base:

Mega-Stamina (Adaptability) should be useful but that’s been covered. If we are going to be operating in space, “Flight” sounds pretty useful. I suspect we will be exploring other planets looking for places to settle.

Elemental Mastery: Air or Water should be useful for preventing us from running out of supplies… although if life holding planets are common Warp might also work.

Warp would be extremely useful if (and only if) combined with Q5 and Mega-Perception. There is another thread around here somewhere where we talk about just how big distances are in “space”. Telepathy might be useful to find out if here is life on a planet. Teleport will likely be less useful than Warp.

Elemental Mastery: Earth should be useful for making tunnels and such (it’s in theme but I don’t actually have EM just yet).

Q-Conversion has a lot of potential for generating energy (a useful thing), ditto Elemental Mastery: Light/Heat/any energy.

(Assuming ST approval) In theory Jason could use his powers to generate radiation (or raw taint), but I suspect both of those would tend to be thought of as bad things and not real useful as energy sources. Hmm… J doesn’t have flight either (so much for following my own advice) but he can stretch really far so that may compensate.

How does weather manipulation work in space/vaccuum?

How about EM: Air + weather manipulation? (how easy is it for novas to terraform a planet?)

Dunno yet what I'm gonna do. Been toying with an energy bodymorpher as well since its what I planned on doing in Nippontai High but since Prof is facing an addiction right now, that may not take off. ::wink

Or making "Symbiote", a bodyless nova with powerful mind powers (telepathy, mind bolt, parasitic domination, empathic manipulation, mirage, etc) He'd probably act as the Space Brigade's "Holy Spirit", speaking through baseline's voices and piggy backing on a scout during scouting missions, acting as the invisible guardian angel were something to muck up.

Or make an ubertelekinetic-speedster meister. Actually I'm really thinking of this, someone with flight+hypermovement and telekinesis MIRV, Q5 + megadex, could quickly build shelters, scout around, etc. Which begs the question: say Speedy Telekinsey flies over boulder county at 1000Kphand decided to pick up boulders as he flies over them with telekinesis, can he? Do they follow him at his flight speed?

I.E. Speedy Telekinsey actually has energy tendrils and picks up 5 1000kg boulders around him. He then flies off towards the Space Brigade station with his boulders to be mined there...can he? Will they follow at his flight speed while still remaining within his power range? In other words, does it act like an "arm"? (or arms in the case of MIRV)

How does weather manipulation work in space/vaccuum?
It doesn’t. Weather Manipulation is a Q4 “Anima” power, and as such it doesn’t do much when there is none of it’s “Element” available. Even if you have Q5, Elemental Anima: Air won’t do much in a vacuum.
How about EM: Air + weather manipulation? (how easy is it for novas to terraform a planet?)
EM: Air and EM: Water work somewhat, but the unresolved question is “how much” of their element do they create?
Or make an ubertelekinetic-speedster meister. Actually I'm really thinking of this, someone with flight+hypermovement and telekinesis MIRV, Q5 + megadex, could quickly build shelters, scout around, etc. Which begs the question: say Speedy Telekinsey flies over boulder county at 1000Kphand decided to pick up boulders as he flies over them with telekinesis, can he? Do they follow him at his flight speed?
I think when using Hypermove you can’t do those sorts of things (book not with me), so the answer is probably “No” on the face of it. Assuming you slow down, Objects propelled with TK have a set speed I don’t recall off hand. Something like 10 meters per dot per action? I very vaguely remember doing the calculations and coming up with 20 to 60 miles per hour.

Since there is no “action reaction” with TK you moving faster doesn’t help, but you could do things like force them through a Warp gate. Warp is going to come up a lot with this kind of conversation, Space has a great deal of “space”, and Warp does a good job at reducing distances.

Or making "Symbiote", a bodyless nova with powerful mind powers (telepathy, mind bolt, parasitic domination, empathic manipulation, mirage, etc) He'd probably act as the Space Brigade's "Holy Spirit", speaking through baseline's voices and piggy backing on a scout during scouting missions, acting as the invisible guardian angel were something to muck up.
Include 5 dots in attune so you can extend your Psi-shield to your host… or get that extra so you don’t need to spend q.

On the subject of attune, keep in mind attune got re-vamped in the APG. With enough you can extend most powers to people/objects. Your “Symbiote” could get teleport, or Forcefield, and extend that over his “host”.

Guilty pleasure: I'm actually starting to like the name "Speedy Telekinsey" ::blush ::tongue

But I really like the idea of Symbiote now...actually I think even cooler is parasitic domination + density decrease 5 (affect others) + flight + hyper movement + attune 5

now I've just gotta crunch numbers and see if that's doable...if using parasitic domination is there a need for "affect others" or would attune be enough? Important question considering the cost difference.

Symbiote would probably be quite tainted, permanently density decreased BUT still needs to pay the maintenance cost. So basically he'd always need to have a host to survive (uh, and I guess that'd mean he'd regain quantum normally while parasiting or else he'd die off within a session) Cool? Does this work?

Btw, is there a power that acts as the opposite of Q-Leach? Say Symiote wants to give some of his quantum to his host, is there a way to do this?

Symbiote … parasitic domination + density decrease 5 (affect others) + flight + hyper movement + attune 5

if using parasitic domination is there a need for "affect others" or would attune be enough?

It is even possible DD alone would work on your new body, even without attune. I’d still suggest getting attune 5, if only to prevent nakedness. Assume for a moment that DD alone (and flight) doesn’t work on “host” bodies (I’d bet that way). Attune would work up to your weight limit and DD+Others would work on anyone (so you could save points and just get one).

DD is an expensive way to go. You may be better off with other powers that work well with attune and/or parasitic domination.

Examples:

Armor/Forcefield (enhance other people’s soak), with or without extras.

Teleport/Warp (you can jump into someone and then take their body back).

Healing.

Flight (with attune they fly but they don’t get flight).

Boost.

Luck.

Invisibility.

Silence.

Mind-Link (letting you talk to your host).

Nova-Proxy (letting your host use your powers, note this gets around attune weight limits). Nova-Proxy works especially well with Healing, you heal and then you let them do so.

Attune does NOT grant Mega-stats or their enhancements (thus Hardbody, Adaptability, and Regen get nixed). On the other hand if you have Mind-Link and Lie Detector the latter would still work for you and you could just say so.

Symbiote would probably be quite tainted, permanently density decreased BUT still needs to pay the maintenance cost.
Think hard about going with “Permanent Domination + Parasite”. That would force you to “need” a host.

There are some problems if you want Permanent DD. For starters it doesn’t work in combo with Domination. If you are DD’ed 3 dots or below, you can’t use mental powers on solid people.

Btw, is there a power that acts as the opposite of Q-Leech? Say Symiote wants to give some of his quantum to his host, is there a way to do this?
In theory, the only one that applies is Quantum Regeneration. You attune you host, pay a point of willpower, and he gets the same bonus you do.

In practice, ask ST if he will let you buy “Q-Leech Reversed”.

If you are DD’ed 3 dots or below, you can’t use mental powers on solid people.

Why?

edit:

Think hard about going with “Permanent Domination + Parasite”. That would force you to “need” a host.

That'd be kind of the point (him being called "symbiote" and all)...Though I guess he could be an average Joe with parasitic domination, DD IS expensive after all.

Attune would work up to your weight limit and DD+Others would work on anyone (so you could save points and just get one).

What do you mean by "just get one"? You mean buy 5 points DD and 1 pt DD + affect others?

(costing 20 instead of 25 nova points)

Why?

Because that’s what the rules for DD 3 say. It’s there for game balance so you can’t get DD5 and run around immune to combat but still able to hose people.

Attune would work up to your weight limit and DD+Others would work on anyone (so you could save points and just get one).

What do you mean by "just get one"?

I mean you can get attune=5 or DD+Others. Attune 5 costs between zero and one nova point. The “+Others” part costs a lot… and that’s over and above the characters core power which should be Dominate+P and not DD.

Why?

Because that’s what the rules for DD 3 say. It’s there for game balance so you can’t get DD5 and run around immune to combat but still able to hose people.

Uhmm, I think that's wrong. Even a DD 5 character is "intangible to all forces except psychic attacks."

Seems to me if they can be affected by them, they can use them.

It states that "While intangible, the character cannot affect the tangible world in any way"

now check the examples "he cannot fire a gun, pick up any object, punch someone or do anything of the sort"

This means that of course if he's intangible he can't physically affect anything. It states nothing about the use of other powers, mental or otherwise. Actually with five dots of DD you can solidify some body parts and now fire guns, etc.

Even a DD 5 character is "intangible to all forces except psychic attacks."
That’s what can affect you. What affect you can have is different, and listed under DD3 (if memory serves).

This is to prevent you from getting DD5 and Domination (or Mind Blast or whatever) and running around immune to combat but still able to take part.

DD5 is better than 10 dots of INV: Very BC: Everything but mental. That comes at a price.

If you really want to be intangible, all the time, but still effective, you should just take Domination+PP(Permanent Power Aberration), Nova Proxy+Surrogate Pool(With ST permission to use it to transfer Mega-Attribs and enhancements), and Telepathy or Psychic Link. Then you could lightly posses willing baselines, lend their bodies your powers, and communicate with them. Might be neat. You could take the Allies or Followers background to represent your pool of willing participants, and create a whole bunch of baseline character sheets. ::lookaround

Or, you know, just let the ST deal with it. ::wink ::bigsmile

If you really want to be intangible, all the time, but still effective, you should just take Domination+PP(Permanent Power Aberration), Nova Proxy+Surrogate Pool(With ST permission to use it to transfer Mega-Attribs and enhancements), and Telepathy or Psychic Link. Then you could lightly posses willing baselines, lend their bodies your powers, and communicate with them. Might be neat. You could take the Allies or Followers background to represent your pool of willing participants, and create a whole bunch of baseline character sheets. 

Or, you know, just let the ST deal with it.

Hmm, never thought of Domination+PP (permanent) that is a cheaper solution to the "Symbiote" idea...thanks!

As for the DD, it says the character is intangible to everything but psychic attacks. At no point does it say, or even imply that the character's psychic attacks would be ineffective. At DD 3, the character is intangible to all physical things, but not energy, 4's the same, except energy effects are reduced by half, at 5 they're intagible to both physical and energy, but they can resolidify parts.

So is someone's mind tangible?

A mind is NOT "tangible" or "intangible" by the definitions we are using. If it were "intangible" then when you were DD3+ you could reach out and touch it, which you can't. Ditto "Truth" or "Loyality" which are also normally thought to be "intangible"... but not by the rules we are using.

Ignore "minds" and look at DD3. You take some damage from energy and STILL can't affect anyone with energy yourself.

If you are DD4 and I'm not, then you can't affect me.

(Edited to say "NOT").

As for the DD, it says the character is intangible to everything but psychic attacks. At no point does it say, or even imply that the character's psychic attacks would be ineffective.
Actually it says just the opposite (I think I quoted it earlier).
At DD 3, the character is intangible to all physical things, but not energy, 4's the same, except energy effects are reduced by half
And at 3 dots their energy attacks are totally useless even though they are still subject to attack with energy.

And guys, since we’re playing by Prof’s rules, it’s worthwhile to point out he’s already ruled on this.

Archived