Trinity Universe: There's always hope...

Asbjørn

The forum skies are dark and quiet. In the enormous London arcology streets traffic goes as normal, but there is something different in the air tonight... From the pavements slick with oil and human waste citizens look up to the artificial sky, past giant glowing advertising holos and vidscreens. Their lives seem pointless, the world so big and uncaring.

The blackout is instantaneous. A wave of darkness washes over the streets, leaving nothing but the headlights of maglevs to light the crowds now staring upwards, up... to the only light still shining, high above. A searchlight from below paints a symbol on the dome far above, a symbol they all know, the mark of a man, a storyteller. The dastardly Knave.... ::ninja

IPB Image

The crowd goes wild...

::thewave ::thewave

[Reality check:]

I was reading through Holo Lives the other day. That story kicked ass, Knave. I think I speak for at least 110% of the forum users when I say we want you back in the ST chair. All in favor, say aye!

I of course realize that life's a bitch and there are more important things than online rpg stories. If that's still the case, take this post as the praise it's meant to be. If not... the players are still there, man... ::wink

Whoa ::blink

{you're not pulling my leg are you?}

I'd love to GM again, but to be honest I've just started an RL Inivisbles game using Unknown Armies in addition to my occasional RL Trinity game. Together with a bit of the old 'Whoa -I have a life suddenly ::blink' things become a little difficult.

I'll have a think about it, but perhaps it'd be better if someone who hasn't GMed before has a go? ::tongue

Wow. This thread prompted me to reread the last page of Holo Lives alone, and Asbjorn is absolutely right; I had forgotten just how much that game rocked my socks, hardcore, to the max. Knave, I definitely understand if RL has seized you in its jaws - I just thought I'd echo Asbjorn's kudos to your formidable STing. ::withbeer

Its all but confirmed that I'll be gone for four months starting end of April though so I can't promise any long term commitment in any game...

Guess that means I should kill off Ernold in WJ ::devil ::tongue

If there's one thing I've never done properly, it's read the Trinity games - I love the system, but sadly it never got me quite as fired up as Aberrant did ::confused But reading these comments have convinced me that I should give both Holo and DoD a read to see what I missed out on.

Some time this year, I will relaunch/continue NG, if only to bring it to some sort of satisfying conclusion - I swear on the tombs of my forefathers! ::jedi

Thanks  ::biggrin  ::thumbsup

{you're not pulling my leg are you?}

Nope. Ok, maybe the intro thing was a bit over the top, but just writing 'Oy, Knave! Get your game going again!' seemed a bit too silly...

I'll have a think about it, but perhaps it'd be better if someone who hasn't GMed before has a go?

I think your style is hard to copy, unfortunately... ::wink

Guess that means I should kill off Ernold in WJ

NOOOOOOoooooo!

Actually, if the last time I left QZ is any indication (for 4 months, when I sailed across the atlantic) Terry left the group for only a few days before coming back...I mean, how much has WJ progressed in the last 4 months really? ::halo ::tongue

Guys, given your overgenerous comments I've had a think about this and there are two games I'd consider running - provided you didn't mind a very variable level of GM response.

If anyone wants to steal these ideas - go ahead - I'd be happy to play too.

::thumbsup

Note: both of these ideas are still lot easier than picking up HL. Trinity tends to have a lot more breadth to it when it comes to social interactions because there are just so many documented major players. Also I have two players in a more or less once - hopefully twice monthly trinity game (set in 2123) - one of which has been been playing for about 4 years for whom I'm trying to arrange the story so that they meet up with my 4 times a year 6 player group in South Africa who are in 2124 so that they can have some sort of final battle with the Colony, the Coalition Ark, the Doyen, the Chinese and the Hellfire Club. Frankly it's doing my head in right now ::tongue

Anyway, options:

Option 1:

Shadows in the East.

An Adventure! or (MANGA!) game set in feudal Japan with the players playing a group of Ninja or Oni things.

(Think Ninja Scroll/Ninja Gaiden)

--> I'm thinking fairly traditional kind of set up. Get the McGuffin from Evil Bad Types. Bring it back to save your clan! Be attacked, get involved in plots and have adventures on the way.

The nice thing about this idea is that the Adventure! rules set is nice and

limited. ::grin I might introduce some generic setting things like 'focussing' before a battle and meditation. Maybe even traditional elemental rings rather than facets.

Option 2:

Exodus: Into the Void

An Aberrant game in which the players take on roles of members of the Space

Brigade who set off into the Universe after the Earth Strike Ultimatum. The characters will be 'scouts' finding places to go for the Brigade's human following. A sort of Nova SG1 / Battlestar Galactica idea.

Say 45 point characters (all with adaptation) with Prof style rules applying. Opportunities abound to find Eden, to find out what happened to the Novas in the dark of space - what really turned them evil - and to meet the Colony... ::squid

If I did run a game, which would you prefer?

I'm leaning vaguely in favour of option 1 because it sounds easier and I'm watching Ninja Scroll the series on DVD right now, but both seem intriguing...

Hmm. ::confused In which of the choices could I play Tiger...? ::tongue

I think the abbie idea sounds cooler, not because there's not enough abbie games on the site already ::rolleyes , but because none of them are going in that direction.

The ninja thing could probably be cool too, but it didn't appeal to me immediately. Not that into japanese stuff... ::biggrin

Would there be a ship or would all novas need some means of locomotion / depend on warpers?

I'm equally interested in both games though keep in mind I'll be gone 3 months so if this causes problems I'll stay away. In QZ I warned Prof ahead of time and scripted a Terry departure.

I'm reserving tickets as we speak, gonna wire money on monday:

25 APR 05 Taipei - Hong Kong

29 APR 05 Hong Kong - Bangkok

05 MAY 05 Bangkok - Cairo

03 JUN 05 Cairo - Tunis

Then I sail to Italy and France from Bizerte and make my way to Paris.

24 JUL 05 Paris - Montreal

and that's it. I'm kinda worrying about that last flight though since it can't be changed once its booked and a month and a half for sailing and trekking doesn't seem that much to me. Then again my mother is going to hire henchmen to hunt me down if I don't spend at least a month home before heading off again... ::lookaround

I think the ideal situation would be for someone like Alex to GM the Abbie game and me to run the Adventure! I'm not a huge Japanophile really (Ok... I own all the Akira Kurosawa movies and a good block of Manga and have done some research for Guy) but I was thinking more of doing 'Manga' than real 'Japan' stuff...

And it's not that I don't want to run the abbie - I do - I'm just not that clued up on all the rules in all the books... so you'll just have to go easy on me ::tongue

Assuming Alex doesn't want to run Abbie..

Here's what it's about:

Q5 max. ::biggrin Prof rules apply.

Everyone must take adaptation.

The Space Brigade is a group of Novas who removed themselves from Earth and forcefully took over the Olympus moonbase when the Aberrant war got serious. Although they took the base by force they ensured that none of the inhabitants suffered serious harm. While controlling Olympus the Brigade provides for all the needs of the human population, and treat them well, but do not allow them to leave. (This would be a security risk)

During their stay on Olympus they expand the base and create the massive tunnel joining Olympus to Yeltsingrad. They do extensive research into LAO (osteoperosis brought on by low gravity). When they leave they take all those neutrals who want to go along with them....

I'm guessing there around 35 novas in the Space Brigade total - which will mean that the characters will be the sum total of their exploration effort. As for Neutrals -> probably around six to eight thousand of them go along. Reasons for going along? Well - earth is falling apart and these Novas are good to them. Anything from Stockholm syndrome to love is possible.

In my continuity these are the Novas who founded Eden - so think relatively low taint (4 max).

The Novas can be of any sympathy, but are not card carrying members of any group - they're explorers who by and large (as a group) have realised that Novas and Humans currently cannot co-exist as equals. They are, if not benevolent then, at least benign.

Do they have a ship... Sort of. Remember the Exodus happens pretty fast. So what happens is they rip up some lunar domes and transplant them onto a fused plane of lunar rock...(the rock they took from the Yeltsingrad tunnel) They then teleport this - habitat around. It has no propulsion of its own. It does have life support, living areas and labs.

As for the scout team... I would say at least two of them need to be able to warp.

I'd prefer to run the A! as I'm a lazy bastard with little time. ::tongue But my arms are rubbery and I like both concepts. And I do often find that more difficult games are more rewarding... ::biggrin

I Know - I'll do a poll. ::biggrin

Do they have a ship... Sort of. Remember the Exodus happens pretty fast. So what happens is they rip up some lunar domes and transplant them onto a fused plane of lunar rock...(the rock they took from the Yeltsingrad tunnel) They then teleport this - habitat around. It has no propulsion of its own. It does have life support, living areas and labs.

Do you remember 'Space 1999'? ::biggrin

I'd just like to add that I also thought that Knave's STing rocked - even if I didn't think my character fit in the game in the end, I still enjoyed reading the thing: very well written! ::thumbsup

Do you remember 'Space 1999'? ::biggrin

It's a show I can't actually remember, but I remember enjoying at the time... ::tongue

I'd just like to add that I also thought that Knave's STing rocked - even if I didn't think my character fit in the game in the end, I still enjoyed reading the thing: very well written! ::thumbsup

Thanks Prof!

I'll give the poll a few more days and then start working on the game (whatever it is) in earnest. ::tongue

Join in ezekiel. If required (and your PC can't leave) you can delegate someone to play him/her.

Cool thanks! ::thumbsup

I'm not a huge Japanophile really

Right.. ::rolleyes

I'll give the poll a few more days and then start working on the game (whatever it is) in earnest.

Just so you know, I voted for the A! game solely 'cause you said you'd rather game that one...but then I read your post too fast 'cause then I read your political statement of indecision. I like role-playing challenges so I'll play anything..Dr. Bynon was Prof's joking suggestion for example, which I loved, and The Banshee is 'cause I kept teasing Heritage about his female characters and he more or less dared me to do it, like that one too..:)

My initial thought was to create an emergency droid woken from storage and I hinted at maybe making a doc 'cause the team needed a "cleric" ::wink . He said something like he could even be a Jamaican "mon" voodoo Port-au-Prince doc which would irk the resident stuckup doc. So I did, and B. was created (dog was my idea, spent a device dot for a BengieBeast...just a genetically engineered dog that obeys simple doggish commands) I really liked him too.. ::smiley4

Archived