Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

RE: Current Fight

I'm tempted. IC & OOC I think one or more of us is going to get killed here if someone doesn't step up to the plate and the take the big plunge, and SkyLion says he isn't going to erupt.

The core power I was leaning towards for Kenshi was Flight, but I could sub in something else without a problem, or even do both.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it comes down to it, I'll have Kazuo erupt. I haven't planned any powers for him at all either, so it's no sacrifice one way or the other. My goal was to play him as a baseline as long as I could manage it, and to have him erupt with powers that would both suit his personality and fit the circumstances of his eruption.

If it comes down to genuine life or death stuff, then I'll have him erupt. So if you'd prefer to wait for a time that'll net you what you want, I'll volunteer to take the hit. Like I said, I have no premade plans for Kazuo's powers, so it's all the same to me.

As always, eruption is controlled by the player in question (although not the character, natch). Of course, if your character falls off a skyscraper, then you'd probably want to consider having him erupt before he hits the pavement... & not with a power like, say, invisibility... ::tongue ::wink

RE: Current Fight

I'm tempted. IC & OOC I think one or more of us is going to get killed here if someone doesn't step up to the plate and the take the big plunge, and SkyLion says he isn't going to erupt.

Thats why I was asking btw...Alex and others gave me dire warnings about you being hazaerdous to the health of PCs Potts. There is a difference between being "controlled by the player" and "if you dont, they'll die." I just wanted to make sure our hands werent being forced...which given Kitsuens introductory comments, I was sure feeling like. None of us should have to erupt for all of us to survive this encounter (at least given the initial layout for the game presented). I know I may get slapped down for that last sentance, but I belong to the camp that says that player characters should only die because their players acted stupidly in the face of warnings or were disruptive to the game or because it serves the story. I know their are other camps out there...gamers and STs who prefer to let the dice lie as they were rolled, fudging be damned but we always tended to fudge those results since we are telling the story and not the dice.

I hope that made sense. I just wanted to be clear on what kind of ST I was dealing with as other players had cautioned me about Prof (please don't take offense at the asking!). Of course it doenst seem like an issue since others *are* willing to erupt and to be fair most of those characters I have heard of Potts killing were Elites...and thats more of a play at your own risk type from the get-go. ::sly

To be honest, I am intrigued to see how a mixed group of erupted and baseline PCs will work...if I can play baseline for as along as possible and not get "upstaged" (in regards to Story at least).

::huh Sky, it's kind of necessary to have this kind of situation arise frequently in a game like this. There's lots of eruptions that need to happen, and if opportunities for that don't ever come up in play, players are likely to be just as frustrated as you are now.

I didn't know it was a matter of "stepping up to the plate," I'm really looking forward to playing my character as a nova. I can erupt now.

Alex, would you want to join me, or is one eruption enough? I actually had planned out powers that would be combat-useful. [i know, you're all shocked I'd do that ::rolleyes ]...

::huh Sky, it's kind of necessary to have this kind of situation arise frequently in a game like this. There's lots of eruptions that need to happen, and if opportunities for that don't ever come up in play, players are likely to be just as frustrated as you are now.

What he said. And as far as potential death goes, I'm in the camp that approves of it wholeheartedly. If I make a series of dumb mistakes, then it's not an 'unlucky roll' that leads to my PC's death, it's my mistakes. I prefer to have that element of risk myself. Though I'd hope that Prof would be willing to let me whip up a new PC afterwards if, god forbid, something did happen to any of my current characters.
I didn't know it was a matter of "stepping up to the plate," I'm really looking forward to playing my character as a nova. I can erupt now.
I don't know if the eruption part is what's bothering anybody, I think Sky wants to erupt with his full 30 nps at his disposal, plus whatever xp he's earned, and Alex was simply hoping for an excuse to develop a particular power(s). For my part, I just had a silly goal of playing Kazuo as a baseline for as long as possible, but that's not something I *have* to be allowed to do or I'll throw a fit or whatever. Oh, and I don't really care if Kazuo gets upstaged by nova PCs if he doesn't erupt in this situation. Novas should upstage baselines, and Kazuo's cooler as an underdog anyway.

None of us should have to erupt for all of us to survive this encounter...
Four pre-nova males, what are the odds that at least one of us has at least somewhat combat worthy intentions?
...given Kitsuens introductory comments...
Kitsuen is a trickster god. I'm sure she wouldn't flinch at a lie. Nor is it clear that she really could take all of us.
To be honest, I am intrigued to see how a mixed group of erupted and baseline PCs will work...if I can play baseline for as along as possible and not get "upstaged" (in regards to Story at least).
So it's OK if the App=5 novas steal your girlfriend? ::laugh
...Alex was simply hoping for an excuse to develop a particular power(s).
Yes... and although not 100% on point this is actually pretty close.
Alex, would you want to join me, or is one eruption enough? I actually had planned out powers that would be combat-useful. [i know, you're all shocked I'd do that ::rolleyes ]...
I think I'll give it a try.

I don't know if the eruption part is what's bothering anybody, I think Sky wants to erupt with his full 30 nps at his disposal, plus whatever xp he's earned, and Alex was simply hoping for an excuse to develop a particular power(s).For my part, I just had a silly goal of playing Kazuo as a baseline for as long as possible

A little of all three for me actually. When the game was pitched I came up with an idea I really liked. I could wait til year three but I broke it down into three stages. Honestly though its a little cooler and works a lil better if I just do it in two...Also I had decided I would take the "Cottus Challenge" and see how long I could enjoy playing a baseline.

So it's OK if the App=5 novas steal your girlfriend? ::laugh

Hey, App 4 isnt anything to sneeze at, and besides...we all know that looks arent the only thing that matters.

Actually, the glasses situation might make it harder for Akira to keep her novahood secret, if that's what she wants. After all, someone who doesn't need glasses and tries to wear them has as much trouble as someone who needs them and goes without... ::devil

She could always pop the lenses out - or say she's gotten contacts. (which she has - she didn't want to wear them today because of her headaches recently)

I was hoping to keep the changes gradual, but ok. Let me think some more on how Akira changes.

while Novas always stand out, even if they lack Mega-Attributes, distinctive quirks, or full-blown aberrations. In fact, it takes Nova Points (spent on Dormancy or the 'Mister Nobody' Enhancement or similar) to not stand out from the crowd!

It was my understanding that with Q1 and mega atts at 1 that one could be a "stealth" nova, but when you get to Q2 the "nova physique" really starts to "shine"...

It was my understanding that with Q1 and mega atts at 1 that one could be a "stealth" nova, but when you get to Q2 the "nova physique" really starts to "shine"...
More or less true... but typically someone like that is going to have maxed attributes.

So how many App 5, Str 5, Chr 5 baselines are out there? For that matter, how many App 5 types are there?

Overall it's going to depend on the combination of powers and Quantum. The Directive sourcebook provides good examples of 'stealth novas'. Sharon Li is a Quantum 4 nova who can effectively hide her nova status from those around her because she has no powers or mega-atts at all except for Quantum Imprint (incorrectly listed in the book as Quantum Leech). Lucas Barrows is a Quantum 1 nova who did escape detection as a nova for a time, but even before it was discovered that he was a nova he had already made a name for himself on many different levels because of how remarkable a 'man' he was.

It is possible to be a nova without it being obvious like Sharon Li, but even in her case the book states that, while she was attractive before her eruption, she became more so afterwards. So I'd say that it's definitely possible to avoid casual detection as a nova, but one way or the other, something is going to be different about you.

The Directive doesn't only hire Stealth novas, they hire taintless novas. Sharon Li is (hopefully) without taint, but while she might not draw stares on the street, presumably anyone spending time with her is going to be playing the "is she or isn't she" game?

The core book says a high Q nova simply can not be mistaken for a baseline. That a creature who can break the laws of physics that badly has something "other" about him.

1) Section "look the look" (page 147).

2) Section "Appearance" (page 146).

3) Section "Exceptionally Normal" (page 155).

The implication from part "3" is that you can't have a Q above 1, and then on top of that it's implied that you can't have any taint (from both the Taint section and from the Directive book).

And then, having stated all this, we have character after character like Sharon Li who both have a Q of 3+ and who appear baseline. My impression is that opinion was mixed amoung the developers. My other impression is that Q4+ doesn't mean you automatically throw sparks, even without taint.

More or less true... but typically someone like that is going to have maxed attributes.

So how many App 5, Str 5, Chr 5 baselines are out there? For that matter, how many App 5 types are there?

Not neccessarily...I can envision someone like John McClane from the Die Hard series (plug! ::biggrin ) being secretly a nova. He's no mega appearance looker but how else could one explain his insane survivability?! ::biggrin ::biggrin

All good points, but let's not forget we're talking about Akira here - shy, mouse-like, Akira. ::unsure

All those 'stealth Nova' examples are working on the presumption that the people around you who don't know if you're a Nova or not didn't know you before you erupted. In any case, being 'noticed' doesn't mean everyone automatically says, 'She's a Nova!' - that's not really what I meant. Even 'stealth' Novas are noticed, whether people think they're Novas or not (once more, unless they plump for Dormancy or Mr Nobody).

At the very least Akira has gone from being totally overlooked by all (which has been very well played upon by Expendable) to 'Hey, who's that girl? Is she new?'. That sort of transformation is, after all, a staple of teen romantic drama everywhere!

Of course, with an attitude like Akira's there's no reason why she might not develop Mr Nobody, or even Invisibility or something similar, as part of her eruption - those negative personality traits (e.g. chronic shyness or the like) can be as much a part of 'subconscious wish fulfilment' as 'I really want to be a ninja' ::ninja ... ::wink

Searching for a discus in the woods doesn't really seem like too sweet of a deal to me anyway, I bet those boys aren't happy at all about being out there. Now line up and go again. If that short kid wins another race I'm gonna climb out of your head and fight him.

::laugh

Okay, so I've been thinking long & hard about this game (teetering on the edge of cancelling it again if I'm being honest), & I think I should post some guidelines for Player Character eruption. This isn't a criticism of those Players who's Characters have already erupted, rather an admission on my part that I haven't supplied enough information (after all, Players have a hard time judging what the Storyteller will think is appropriate to the game at the best of times, let alone in a game like this with several 'experimental' elements & the like). So, eruption 101:

1. When thinking about the type of Nova your character is going to become, try to focus first & foremost on the special effects which will define him or her. Sure, you'll need to allocate Nova Points to specific Traits as well, but that's actually a secondary consideration to the overall descriptive definition of the character's powers. For example, if you were to describe Pax's powers you'd say 'he has control over kinetic energies, manifested as a blue-white aura', rather than start by listing all his Traits (Telekinesis, Quantum Bolt, etc.).

2. Be wary of trying to build a balanced, or worse, a 'balanced for combat', Nova. These kids are young, inexperienced, facing the first flush of their powers - the chances of them erupting in a balanced manner are slight. This plays to the age of the characters as well as the morality typical for the setting - at the end of the day all the characters should have their weak points, but together the whole should be greater than the sum of the parts (i.e. the typical Japanese team ethic, 'Come on guys - if we combine our powers we can beat this guy!'). This can be difficult for experienced gamers to do, as the knee-jerk reaction is to create characters which are capable of covering every possible situation - but here the 'holes' in a character's list of talents are good for the game: they encourage teamwork, give a reason for characters to actually practice with their powers, & allow the characters to grow over the course of their time at Nippontai High.

3. When describing the eruption itself, go for a bang, not a wimper. This is meant to be the most important single moment of the character's life - the description should be spectacular! Feel free to go OTT & ignore the statistical numbers for that one moment: as long as the character's single defining special effect is stuck to, & the power unleashed is decribed in terms of being an out of control force of nature (not a surgical sniper), then anything goes. For example (just to pick on Alex Green's character, sorry - again this is down to my lack of information, not a failure by the Players), Kenshi erupted & levitated... that's more interesting than it is spectacular; he's also developed Mega-Strength - but what's the special effect? If it's a Pax-like kinetic control then we should be seeing a literal eruption of kinetic energies - like something out of Dragonball Z: Kenshi on his knees (or suspended in the air) as he screams, clutching his throbbing head, unable to hold back the wave of kinetic power surging out of his neo-Nova form.

4. Remember that Novas with new powers (especially new eruptees) have a difficulty penalty for any actions involving those powers. That's the statistics, but the related role-play style should reflect that lack of skill, lack of control, as well. Powers should calm down quickly after the moment of eruption, but the Character should not suddenly 'know' exactly how to use them - that's why they're at school at the end of the day. Even characters who've had powers for a while may well not be able to use them to their full potential. Take Nezumi as an example: she has Emotional Control [+ Area] as well as Mega-Manipulation & Mega-Charisma, but she can't actively use any of it without singing, & even then the effects aren't exactly under her full control. When not singing her powers do (as you'll perhaps have noticed) have a tendecy to 'leak', especially in emotional situations, but she's not even sure if she's doing anything at those times or not. Older characters, who've had more training, not only have more Nova Points to spend, but can usually control their powers to a much greater extent, & for a wider variety of effects. This 'limited power use' I'd much rather leave to role-play & Player judgement than I would 'enforce' it through difficulty penalties & the like.

5. Eruption has after-effects: the headaches don't stop (& may get worse) & powers aren't under full control - hence all those nice drugs the people at the Rashoud clinics like to hand out. Generally new eruptees' powers should run & run until they run out of steam (QP) & collapse from exhaustion, or they get drugged up, or something similar. Once more, I prefer to leave this aspect to Player role-playing & description than I do enforce it through ST rulings. Purple prose is the order of the day around the newly erupted!

6. While new eruptees should have a distinct special effect all their own, some Nova Points may be chanelled into other Traits pretty much as a side (or at least secondary) effect: e.g. adding a few dots to some of the character's Abilities isn't going to really be noticable (at least until the character gets a chance to calm down & really take a look at what they can now do). An Ability jumping from zero to five dots would be noticed (& is pretty much a 'power' in itself), but a guy who's, say, good at Computers who gets better at Computers may not even spot the difference in that initial burst of Nova life. Even some Mega-Attributes may well be seen more a part of another power than they are blanket increases in talent: e.g. a guy who erupts with Flight & Mega-Dexterity may well associate his new-found aerial grace with his ability to fly, rather than think to himself, 'Hey, I can fly... & I'm super-dextrous too!'. In short, try to imagine the event from the Character's point of view, rather than from a Player's, game mechanics, point of view.

7. Although Players are left to erupt their Characters when they see fit, I still need to see a PM about their NP spending, special effects, etc. & approve that before they go ahead & post the event. Don't just post 'my character erupts with these powers...' without consulting me. Allowing Players control over eruption is meant to give them creative freedom, it's not meant to take control of the game (& therefore game balance) away from your poor, suffering, ST... ::wink

Phew... I hope all that makes some sense. If there are any other questions I haven't covered, feel free to ask here.

Okay, so I've been thinking long & hard about this game (teetering on the edge of cancelling it again if I'm being honest),

What? No! Why?! Gaa!!!

This is just starting to really take off! At least you won't have to worry about my eruption yet...though I still sorta wonder if you wouldn't prefer to have us erupt sooner rather than later. Like I may have mentioned I was hoping to wait for second year but thats by no means a requirement,,,

Seriously Potts you have something really awesome and special in this one. I know its been going in fits and starts but I for one (and I am sure I can speak for the other players for this, having talked with Phoenix, Cottus, Ex and Alex) would beg, plead and implore you to see this one through its infancy. Heck three of our PCs just erupted! (though it would seem some editing or at least some further posting is in order...) I have also been secretly hoping that of all my characters, perhaps it would be Tora who 'graduates' to the main QZ game once he graduates from High School (or maybe that will be the start of a Nippontai game in proper form!!!).

I think the single most awesome thing about this game (aside from how it plays like watching Anime in my mind ::happy !) is that more than any of the others I have played there is a visceral sense of a characters growth and the potential that lies ahead. The contrast of mixing novas and baselines as PCs then is like adding icing onto the layer-cake of moist and chocolatey story goodness....mmmmmm. ::drool

I know I've been in and out, but I also vote to keep this game going (if for no other reason that I have no other role-playing going on in my life...). If you feel like things aren't going in quite the direction you want them to, tells us like this and we'll do our best to stay on track. Seiji hasn't really gotten into the thick of things and I'm already having a great time.

Okay, just putting in my two yen.

RE: Eruption 101

Oops. I can see that I should have done things much differently with Kenshi. He’s now a good example on what not to do.

At the moment he just has Flight and Mega-Strength; A long time ago I’d intended him to control the air, then light, then I went with Flight and Strength.

I think I’ll PM the Prof about Kenshi and his future since it’s mostly IC things.

Oops. I can see that I should have done things much differently with Kenshi. He’s now a good example on what not to do.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Jinsei's eruption so far. I was planning to make the next post the climactic one, once I have the response about what happens to the ninjas to build on (after all, they could still kick his ass). But I'm afraid I may have achieved an anticlimax instead.

As for canceling Nippontai High... Part of me agrees with Sky. Actually, all of me does. I love this game.

However, recently I've been experiencing the ST side of things for the first time, and [i've heard that] chargen may be the most difficult part. Cottus is an amazing co-storyteller, and has been understanding of my inexperience and other obligations at the moment. Still, I don't think I'd be able to put forth the effort if I wasn't in love with all the characters I've gotten, and the way the inchoate story's taking shape.

So, if you find you've really lost interest in the game and characters... well, she had a good run.

If you don't mind, I'll be editing Jinsei's latest post [eventually - I'll do something to draw attention to it too] to show some of what you said you'd like to see. I won't change what he's doing, but hopefully give his newfound novahood more of an explosive, out-of-control nature. If that's not cool please tell me.

And as always, I'll be watching this spot. ::ultracool

If that's not cool please tell me.

No, that's cool... at least until I stop being lazy & actually post something new for this game... ::wink

As for cancelling the game - like I said, I'd been thinking about it, but decided to post the bit about eruptions instead. While the game isn't what I'd originally intended (in part, at least, due to the quantum shift in the player character base - we started pretty balanced, & are now down to one - boyish - girl & a half dozen boys who, for the most part, come across as a special forces unit... ::getsome ::wink ) I've still got a few ideas where to head with it. On the bright side, my extensive ponderings about the future of this game did spawn my new game idea over on the Trinity IC game forum... ::biggrin

What do you think it would take to get Tooho in? I'll PM her with a pretty please. I know she isn't swamped in games right now...

Glad to here our series won't be getting cancelled!

As for your original intentions, I assume you are refering to the more soap opera based high school drama stuff. I hope we can still keep that around, even if it has to be more with NPCs...

I look forward to seeing your plans in action Potts! ::thumbup1

No, that's cool... at least until I stop being lazy & actually post something new for this game... ::wink

As for cancelling the game - like I said, I'd been thinking about it, but decided to post the bit about eruptions instead. While the game isn't what I'd originally intended (in part, at least, due to the quantum shift in the player character base - we started pretty balanced, & are now down to one - boyish - girl & a half dozen boys who, for the most part, come across as a special forces unit... ::getsome ::wink ) I've still got a few ideas where to head with it. On the bright side, my extensive ponderings about the future of this game did spawn my new game idea over on the Trinity IC game forum... ::biggrin

Do you let people play two?

Archived