Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

From what I can tell...Potts isnt going to *force* us into erupting...he is leaving that decision to us...

Yeah but I can see that something could happen to force our hand - like someone trying to drown me in the pool so when I erupt, I grow gills and some sort of electric eel attack. ,,
Good suggestion on the emotion manip Cottus...an elegant solution, if you define it as coming from a dream effect...still if you *really* want them to see stuff Mirage is the way to go, though telepathy has canon examples of "being in someones mindscape" as well.
Telepathy says you can influence, mirage is purposely creating illusions so I think a combination of the two will give me the dreamer I'm envisioning.,,
BTW, Ex...is the Dreamer concept based on that Paprika vid you showed us? ::happy ,,

EDIT...Whoa! They changed the preview on the site...all new footage! Here...

Well, that and some twists of my own. =^_^=

Here's the original teaser.

I'd love to do what Paprika does, jumping from images to billboards to pictures but I'm not sure how I'd do that in Aberrant.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to Prince of Boredom...

Wish fullfillment can go either way...someone who strives to be the very best at something probably would wish to be even better.

Not everyone has secret angst to be something they arent you know...

...though its okay if you do.. ::smile

Kazuo looks at Kenshi as though he's just encountered a strange, and not entirely appealing, new animal.

Little bozu blew off both my questions , he thinks, and what sort of introduction is that? His daddy tell 'im not to talk to strangers or something?

My bad. I should have made it clearer that he was blushing and changing the subject. Maybe put in an extra stammer.

My bad. I should have made it clearer that he was blushing and changing the subject. Maybe put in an extra stammer.

No it's cool Alex, even if you had Kazuo's reaction would still have been about the same. Kazuo has high Wits and decent Manipulation, which means he can get by just fine in social situations, but with a Charisma of 1 it's pretty much an accident if he comes across as nice. I meant what I said in his intro, Kazuo really is kind of a jerk at this point. I plan on having him develop a lot as a character, and part of that will involve him settling down some and becoming more sociable, but he is supposed to occupy the place of the 'anti-hero' in this story. The mechanical result of this is that he's about as physically tough and skilled as I could get a starting, baseline character to be, but socially he's kind of inept.

As the story progresses (and provided you guys give me good reason for it) the influence of the other 'good' students who befriend him will change him slowly for the better, but for right now he's a thug and so he's going to act like one. Feel free to have Kenshi get mad at him if you want, he deserves it after all.

Kazuo really is kind of a jerk at this point.
And a thug, and not exactly the kind of person Kenshi is going to talk about sex or the fact that his dad is the mayor.

Kenshi on the other hand has fairly low wits and social stats... so he tends to suffer from 'foot in mouth' disorder... or put another way, he's a fairly typical high school Freshman. Depending on how eruption goes I'll see about increasing those (3 nova points giving a +1 to all attributes would make a world of difference... but that assumes I have 3 nova points to spare).

Now the DMD has a wits of 5 so sometimes I post internal monologs to represent that he does think pretty quick.

Just a couple of extra notes:

If it looks like I'm not responding to a player's particular IC post then it's probably down to one of a couple of things. Firstly, I may not have responded at all - sometimes I like to give players who haven't posted a little extra time before I go advancing things around their characters, & sometimes (like all of us) I'm just too darned busy to post. Just try to be patient.

Secondly, I'm not really an advocate of 'spoon-feeding' PCs: i.e. if you want your character to get involved, then you need to make the effort to get involved - if a PC doesn't respond to stuff occuring in the game world around them, then that character's player (IMHO) can't feel short-changed by not having a plot grab them by the ankles & shake. This is true in all games, but doubly so in a highly social-driven setting like Nippontai High.

Naturally, some players prefer to sit back & have their characters, essentially, neutral observers until the time seems right - that's fine too, but I find that, even in those cases, it's a good idea to post once in a while (even if just describing that your character is sitting back as a neutral observer...) just to keep everyone aware that your character is, in fact, still around & active in the game.

Cheers, all.

As for this game, I'd love to play again, and I still have Nabiki's sheet (I can send you a copy if you need one). I seem to remember having a brother, possibly played by Zeke, but I can't remember..

oooh yeah... ::rolleyes One big happy family this is, when you don't even remember your own bro. Thanks a lot...

Um guys, would I be a horrible person if I wanted to drop out of this game? No matter how many times I read the character names and descriptions, I still get horribly confused about who's who; maybe I haven't watched enough anime to get good with Japanese names. Also I'm committed to WJ, Tellus and the now-reawakened QZ, as well as working on my comic book, and I think I need to be realistic. Nabiki hasn't really been too involved in the overall story, so I think it can be a clean break; Potts, feel free to NPC her and do whatever you want with her.

Sorry guys - see you in the other games! ::sad

if you want your character to get involved, then you need to make the effort to get involved - if a PC doesn't respond to stuff occuring in the game world around them, then that character's player (IMHO) can't feel short-changed by not having a plot grab them by the ankles & shake.

Didn't see this until recently, but it seems likely this was referring to Jinsei. If so, please don't worry - I have no problem jumping in [grabbing the plot by the ankles and shaking, as it were ::happy ] and if I've seen detached from this game lately it's not because I haven't been enjoying it. Still, I'll be sure to post even when Jinsei does nothing just so people know he's still around.

Um guys, would I be a horrible person if I wanted to drop out of this game? No matter how many times I read the character names and descriptions, I still get horribly confused about who's who; maybe I haven't watched enough anime to get good with Japanese names. Also I'm committed to WJ, Tellus and the now-reawakened QZ, as well as working on my comic book, and I think I need to be realistic. Nabiki hasn't really been too involved in the overall story, so I think it can be a clean break; Potts, feel free to NPC her and do whatever you want with her.

Sorry guys - see you in the other games!

Arrgghh!! Nabiki is the potential love interest of all the male PCs! Well... almost... ::wink Something about bad girls I think... ::devil

It's a darn shame to lose you man, but I understand your position. At least with a well-developed character like Nabiki I won't have any problems NPCing her - & I feel the character needs to stay around (who else is there to supply panties to the local perves? ::blush ).

I agree that this is one of those games where I find myself needing my 'crib sheet' of names & characters in front of me whenever I post - those colourful Nova names are just so much easier to remember after all! I actually have the same problem with some animé & manga too - if the characters look similar it takes an effort to keep track, & I seldom manage to recall all those Japanese names (as a Western barbarian I tend to think of animé characters as 'the girl with the blue hair' or 'that martial artist dude'...).

Cheers Heritage - you'll be missed... ::cry

Actually, I'm kinda glad Heritage is dropping out, cause then I don't feel so bad about cutting Nippontai High from my list of games. Hundreds of posts for Blaze and Ghost weigh heavier than the potential in this story... So both the Watabes are off the roster for now. Maybe I'll regret it and come begging later....

Am I the only one picturin Sablesma's voice actually sitting in the background, giving "advice" in the middle of the make-out session? "Slip her a little tongue already!" ::biggrin

I see him standing on the guy's shoulder, one hand holding onto his ear so he can lean over and offer advice.

(Kicking @$$ &) Taking Names:

::blink

::blush

::sad

Like proverbial rabbits caught in the headlights of a car the wannabe knicker-thieves freeze in response to Miyako's subtly threatening declaration. Then, with some muttering & grumbling, they 'repack' Salene's kit (well - stuff it all back in the bag anyway) & slink back under the rocks they emerged from. Shouldering past Ken one of the offenders mumbles under his breath,

'She must be a Nova in the sack for you to put up with all that nagging...' ::angry

I find this quite amusing, because when Bahamut and I were discussing our artists, I hadn't even decided whether to play a male or female character, so there shouldn't even be a hint of sexual tension between them (or, not from Miyako, at least). She treats him like a talented subordinate - at best. ::happy

Ken shrugs. "Alright...Im going to take off then. I'll be back right as school ends...Text Message me if you think of anything else I may need." he says and stands up and starts making his way out of the class...

Is it just me, or has Ken already erupted with the power of 'oblivious to the world around him'..? ::unsure

Either that, or he's secretly a Daredevil with the Perfect Poise Knack... ::tongue

Yes...perfectly poised...thats *exactly* what it is...

What really happened is that I was skimming over that post you made and missed when you posed for me and BN. I didnt go back and see it till yesterday...

I just havent had a chanse to redo it. Gimme a bit and It'll be done.

Just to note, I think most of the students would carry coins, since that's easiest to pay for train tickets, and the omnipresent vending machines. Only thing I'm not sure of is where the women would keep them, since skirts don't have pockets, and none of the high-school-age uniformed girls I've seen carry purses. ::huh

But first, she was going to have to get her PE gear and head down to the gym to change for swimming.

Juts to keep us all on the same page: technically the pupils will gather back in class just after lunch, maybe get some notices read out & stuff, then head off to their respective PE lessons.

((As far as splitting the winnings goes, Kazuo could be brought down to 30% if Nabiki would be totally opposed to splitting the winnings, but he'll stonewall after that. He'll make a streetwise roll (assuming that's the appropriate roll) to get her to agree, and an Intimidation roll to make his point about the cash if the fight breaks out. His remark to Tetsuo is also an Intimidation attempt to throw him off when the fight begins. Konjyo means "guts".))

The funny thing about this is that Nabiki actually has a higher Intimidation dice pool than Kazuo... ::tongue

He does check his watch to see how much time he has.

Um... as much as is dramatically required... ::wink

Do I have to specificly ask for certain checks, or does Prof just make em when he see's what were trying to do?

I generally just make them.

I prefer to keep the 'number crunching' aspect of the games as invisible as possible. Even if you state that your character is 'making an Ability roll' or something, that doesn't mean I'll actually agree with you & let you do it - I tend to judge events by how the characters are being played. Of course, if you want to emphasise that you're aiming to do this or that by stating [OOC] that you're trying to make an Ability check or something, then there's nothing wrong with that either.

E.g. if a player tried to get away with having their character walk up to an NPC & 'make a Seduction check' with no additional effort then I'd just ignore that - if the player role-plays out their seductive actions then asks for the check, I have no problem ::wink .

In general the more effort a player puts into describing their character's actions (& I don't mean just typing out loads of actions, but describing stuff well), then the more information I have to go on, & the better it's gonna' be for that character.

I'm dead busy as well...I'm still thinking that maybe I should drop this game but maybe we should just assume for now that Akaji, Takeshi and Junzo are talking administrative stuff off screen for now...I'll probably have more time around the 16th - onward

This is why I created a slave brute in Tellus...no politicking needed!

Btw, I'm assuming some of you japanese-a-holics might know how to read japanese or at least know this...Can any of you tell me who drew this. I posted a link to this website with high resolution pics way back when but the site has since died and I've no idea who it was...

Archived