Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

BlueNinja, read the source material again: club membership is a big, big deal, and it's totally out of the question to be a member of more than one because they spend hours after school every day doing club things. You may wish to adjust your character to reflect this.

Pip pip ::ultracool

Also:

Greetings Potts!

::laugh

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlueNinja, read the source material again: club membership is a big, big deal, and it's totally out of the question to be a member of more than one because they spend hours after school every day doing club things. You may wish to adjust your character to reflect this.
But if she's not a member of the club, she can't compete for the school, which is supposed to be a minor part of the character. ::sad My idea was that, having control of the Art Club schedule, she'd play around with their hours to give herself time to show up for the archery practice/competitions at least half the time.

Luckily, Heritage passed me a PM on another RP site we are both on (the horror, we've been cheating on EON) and let me know 'the Great One' has returned (and while I haven't found him yet, I see that the Prof is back too ::devil ).

Anyway, every school needs the computer geek who lusts over the beautiful bad girl that he can never have, so I will jump back in with Kazuki.

Someone should also post a link to the beginning of the Samurai's Nezumi storyline in Quantum Zero - it's not absolutely necessary, but it makes for fun reading. I'll do it later if no one else does.

And hey, welcome back PoB and Nullifier!

Great to see so much interest in the game, & the return of the 'old guard'! ::thumbup

Lots of PMs today, but since I was switching over to a new broadband provider tonight (one with some actual speed...) I've only had the chance to glance over them at the moment: looks like some excellent character concepts - I'll get back to you all when time allows.

One thing I did notice with that first glance was interest in new clubs for PCs, IIRC: gymnastics, art / manga, debate, & archery. These all sound reasonable, although I'm still of the opinion that it'll be best if characters aren't the only PC in any one club - maybe a discussion here on which clubs are going to be prominant is a good idea?

Could we have a roll-call of clubs and characters? My character was to be president of the Young Entrepreneur's club...I just want to know if he'll be alone and should be in debate instead or something...

My character:

Akaji Maro

Akaji Maro is something of a phenomenon at the school. Leader of the Junior High debate team, he erupted during a debate competition, leaving the opposition at a loss for words to say the least. Staff whisked him away and, after consulting with his family, he was transferred to Nippontai High.

Akaji joined the young entrepreneur's club and took to business very seriously. Whereas other students were taking 20000yen and making 10 000 to 30 000yen profit, Akaji saw that real businessmen don't build and sell puzzles. Real businessmen don't even build anything, they build an image, they sell what others make, they...BRAND! Maro took those 20 000Y and didn't buy any products, he instead wrote up a business plan and composed the speech he'd give at presentation meetings given to Venture capitalists. The VCs snickered at first, humoring the "child" 'til they realised that the kid actually made some sense. The fact that he remained calm and promptly answered all questions directed at him helped him garner the respect of many a boardroom member...(Note, I'd like to develop this more in game...perhaps talk other students in wearing his shirts in public, etc.)

Akaji Maro's success is presumed to be attributable to his nova heritage but as of yet he has shown very little powers. Indeed, he often curses his luck at having erupted the pathetic power of...glowing. He can't fly, he can't throw fireballs, he can't turn invisible...somewhat of an embarrassement when everyone expects you to be a hero. Despite this Maro is the envy of most of the school, he's rich, handsome, smart, athletic, popular, President of the Young Entrepreneurs club and Class president. He's a good leader and maybe, just maybe, you don't need to throw lightning bolts to be a hero after all...

Backing: 5

Influence: 3

Keiko Ishida (Follower)

Background:

Akaji met Keiko shortly after a speech he gave proclaiming his desire to become class president. Keiko immediately volunteered to help him. She made placards with his name on it, buttons, cakes, you name it, she did it…and Akaji told her she did a good job…that’s when she joined the Young Entrepreneur’s club and now acts as Akaji’s clerk and accountant.

Description:

She may be cute but it’s hard to tell behind her thick glasses (of course I’m imagining the cliché of the total babe once she removes the glasses..:P Like a 3 or 4 in appearance and a MINUS 3 or 4 in style) and Akaji seems to be the last one to notice, much to Keiko’s despair. However, she listens when he talks of romance interests involving other students and caters to his every need, sometimes even before he realizes the need ever existed. (Kind of a mix between MASH’s Radar and Peanut’s Marcy…) Akaji doesn’t treat her poorly, far from it, he just seems to take her shadowing him for granted and doesn’t seem to notice that there’s anything odd about it.

Takeshi Hanzo (Ally)

Background:

Takeshi and Akaji have been friends since they can remember. Both were raised among the busy streets of Tokyo and went to school together. Takeshi’s family is immensely rich and Akaji has always presumed that Takeshi’s father was a corporate businessman like his own.

Its surmised that Akaji’s eruption somehow triggered Takeshi’s as he erupted shortly after Akaji’s debate competition. Takeshi is a bit more of an athlete than Akaji but this hasn’t prevented them from competing in all things. Takeshi is class president of rival class, 1A. Akaji and Takeshi always try to push their classes to outperform each others. This doesn’t prevent them from helping each other when it really matters, which pleases the school’s administra.tive body immensely.

Description:

Takeshi, much like Akaji, is a handsome, well-spoken athlete and belonging to their clique is belonging to the school’s elite. They’re often seen together even though Takeshi presides over the Kendo club (is this already taken?). Akaji latest business success is a bit of a blow to the friendly competition since it’s so hard to compete with, but Takeshi took it in stride and is trying to attain as much success and repute in other endeavors

If you're at Nippontai High you've probably got some Nova in you...

Dunno how it's handled exactly, but it could be that Akaji and Takeshi's backing/influence is partly explained by them already having powers...but I think most PCs should have some ability. The point is that it isn't developed and should be roleplayed as such.

I'd read all OOC stuff again but can't right now. I think this character was made almost two years ago..:P How time flies...

If you're at Nippontai High you've probably got some Nova in you...

Dunno how it's handled exactly, but it could be that Akaji and Takeshi's backing/influence is partly explained by them already having powers...but I think most PCs should have some ability. The point is that it isn't developed and should be roleplayed as such.

I'd read all OOC stuff again but can't right now. I think this character was made almost two years ago..:P How time flies...

From what I've read, we're suppose to be Nova Candidates. Prospective Novas. Novas in potential. What the Professor wants is for us to erupt at some point during game play. If you've already got Q3, you're more likely to erupt during some sort of Nova activity than someone stuck at Q1.

From what I've read, we're suppose to be Nova Candidates. Prospective Novas. Novas in potential. What the Professor wants is for us to erupt at some point during game play. If you've already got Q3, you're more likely to erupt during some sort of Nova activity than someone stuck at Q1.

My character's been approved a while back ::shrug Dunno what to tell you. Could be that I'm expected to erupt later which is fine...

EDIT: Case solved, first page:

"Players in this game would take the roles of young Japanese teenagers (fifteen to sixteen years old) attending Nippontai High - either newly erupted Novas, or 'prodigies' who have tested positive for Nova potential."

Hmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I was going off about 3/4 through the OOC stuff and there was a post about only having baseline characters (I couldent remember if we were erupted or not).

Ill think a little more but I may stay unerupted for now.

Edit--

Went back and reread it...it said that he preffered we didnt since almost all of us were erupted.

Hmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I was going off about 3/4 through the OOC stuff and there was a post about only having baseline characters (I couldent remember if we were erupted or not).

Ill think a little more but I may stay unerupted for now.

Thing is its "slow" eruption or what have you...the process is somewhere in the OOC stuff.

Anyways, its all roleplay...everyone's got "potential"...some erupt sooner than others, just like in real life! ::wink

Link to Page 18 Char Gen Rules

Link to Stage One Character Generation

Link to Important NPCs

Link to More important NPCs

Link to Important Locations

Link to PCs

Link to Nullifier’s PCs

Link to 2 PCs:

Link to 1 PC & a number of NPCs:

Link to The City

(Note a number of these PCs have been replaced or dropped out or whatever).

Clubs:

Kendo (i.e. sticks/swords) (Kenshi is currently a member)

Judo

(Note these are both run by significant NPCs)

Newspaper

I've send in a character to ProfPotts, waiting for approval.

Akira Tanaka

Female, 15, 0+

Backing 0 (no club yet)

Akira is a quiet, hardworking only-child being raised by her father. Her mother, Sakura, was a lawyer who died of cancer when Akira was 7; her father, Kazuo, would tuck her in at night and go to work at an okama bar as ‘Kazuko’. Akira took over the running of their tiny apartment, doing the cleaning, cooking and shopping. It’s made her very self-reliant but she’s become a closet astraphobic – whenever there’s a thunderstorm she dives into the nearest closet. Her summer vacations are often worked at a friend of her father’s, a retired okama who runs a small tourist inn up in the mountains.

Instead of applying to the regular Osaka high schools, Akira studied very hard with the help of a local librarian, taking the Nippontai High Scholarship exam and was very happy when she was accepted. Unfortunately it meant leaving the rest of her classmates behind, she was the only one that got in.

While shopping for her school uniforms, a young kid on his father’s shoulders stuck a wad of gum in her hair – Akira had no choice but to cut her hair boyishly short. She was also unprepared for the higher costs of the Nippontai High school uniforms and has yet to buy a uniform for herself. She came to class wearing black slacks, a white shirt, a black jumper(sweater) and glasses as she’s been having a lot of headaches lately so didn't want to wear her contacts. As she’s physically very slender, it’s possible that nobody has realized yet she’s a girl.

Looks a lot like the PC clubs are gonna' be Judo, Kendo, Newspaper, Art, & Debate at the moment - which stikes me as a good mix. Gymnastics is still a possibility, depending on how much interest can be drummed up - to be honest a 'non-martial art' physical club does seem like a good idea... & who can have anything against Asian schoolgirl gymnasts..? ::drool ::unsure ::wink

Much thanks to Alex Green for the links! Cheers! ::biggrin

Salene Minowaka

Female

Backing 1 (Debate club Secretary)

Influence 2

A short description,

Salene has extremly long black hair (ankle length), with what appear to be a dark shade of blue giving it a blue sheen. Standing just at 5'6" weighing perhaps 100 lbs soaking wet. Dresses in her uniform rather conservatively considering her beauty. Her uniform is always crisp, appearing to be freshly ironed. She generally keeps her hair tied in a long braid curled over her shoulder and down her front.

Nice and personable, she has yet to amass any friends at the school based on her rather hefty tardy and no time to meet even her class.

Miyako Miyamoto (BlueNinja) female

Backing 3 (Art Club President)

Influence 2 (teachers, due to high-ranking military parents)

Miya-miya (a nickname from her parents that she loathes, but won't admit) is a brilliant artist and a complete stickler for the rules. Rumors around the school say that her parents, high-ranking members of the Japanese Self-Defense Force (mother) and the US Navy (father), put pressure on the school to admit her despite her not-quite-meeting the academic standards. Miyako is stuck living in the dormitories, with a rather small stipend from her parents. She's managed to take over the Art Club presidency thanks to her knowledge (or abuse, if you're feeling uncharitable) of the rules of club membership. She is also a mediocre archer who helps the Archery Club meet minimum scores, without actually helping them win awards. Miyako is a likeable enough student, but her lack of popularity comes mostly from her refusal to break the rules herself (though occasionally, she can be convinced to "overlook" an infraction or two).

Prof has approved Miyako (without the archery), but I forgot to include a description.

Miyako looks like a perfectly average Japanese girl, except for her hair, which is a brownish-red color that detracts from her otherwise good looks, rather than improve it. She dresses like she was prepared for a military inspection at all time, including her pageboy haircut. Sadly, this usually serves again to distract people from her good looks, rather than impress.

One thing I did notice with that first glance was interest in new clubs for PCs, IIRC: gymnastics, art / manga, debate, & archery. These all sound reasonable, although I'm still of the opinion that it'll be best if characters aren't the only PC in any one club - maybe a discussion here on which clubs are going to be prominant is a good idea?
Looks a lot like the PC clubs are gonna' be Judo, Kendo, Newspaper, Art, & Debate at the moment - which stikes me as a good mix. Gymnastics is still a possibility, depending on how much interest can be drummed up - to be honest a 'non-martial art' physical club does seem like a good idea... & who can have anything against Asian schoolgirl gymnasts..? ::drool ::unsure ::wink

Re: discussion of the clubs.

So heres whats striking me...

First there is the overall format of the game...Ive noticed, for example, that you gloss over the actual classtime save for important PC doings. Then after school we have study or club time and then more studying. Thats the basic schedule though Im *sure* people are going to be breaking rules, sneaking about etc.

Now you've said that you want more than one PC in any given club, but its still unclear how many active PCs we have. Originally I wanted to be president of the gymnastics club, but have since changed my mind. As a newcomer to the school thats not realistic but the main concern is...how big *is* this school really? How many different clubs can it support? Gymnastics, for example requires a special gym setup and special equipment and even then its more of a rare thing to do, especially when it seems Judo and kendo are the biggies.

So...I decided my PC would practice at a separate gym after school. the problem with that is, it cuts me out of one of the prime blocks of RPing time (the reason I thik Potts wants more than 1 PC)

I would, however be willing to modify my concept if someone else wanted to be my gymnastics partner...Girls are always welcome of course, but having a bro would be cool too...Im imagining a kind of Tomax and Xamot kind of thing. In fact...would anybody be interested in a shared Q-sig quirk with me? Then later we can buy powers with the "merged" extra (for those of you in Prometheans this is similar to what I suggested for Hiroshima and Nagaski when I created them in my background...all that kinky stuff was added by BT later...)

Any thoughts?

WELCOME Sai !!!

Re: discussion of the clubs.

Any thoughts?

RE: Gym Resources

Assume it's there. Seriously, with the kind of money and resources involved here with raising young novas, I find it hard to believe there won't be enough gym space. This is especially true since the "inhumanly good athlete" is a staple of both novas and japanimation.

RE: Clubs

I suggest we wait just a hair, then we'll do a roll call and see who is in what clubs. Then people will have a chance to migrate. Originally Kendo was pretty big, but if Kenshi is the only PC left there then I'll move him.

RE: Clubs

I suggest we wait just a hair, then we'll do a roll call and see who is in what clubs. Then people will have a chance to migrate. Originally Kendo was pretty big, but if Kenshi is the only PC left there then I'll move him.

For the record, Nabiki is in Kendo club.

Archived