Planetary.

Sphere

Just brought the Absolute Planetary collection from my local comics shop and am absolutely blown away by this series. I was just curious if any other Eon-ites are fans?

For those not in the know Planetary is the story of a group of "archeologists of the strange" who investigate the hidden history of their world. On their travels they encounter atomic ghosts, multiple Batmans, and 1920's "man of action" Axel Brass.

It's written by Warren Ellis (whose short stories are featured in Adventure).

Planetary is awesome. Except for the fact that Janita, Drummer, and Elijah's powers are more Aberrant in scale than Adventure!, I'd still like to use the basic idea of Planetary being a group of archaeologists of the impossible for a series.

For more info, here are links to two of Web site that I know of. The "Links" section of this one includes some links to sites about pulp genre characters. This one has nice issue summaries. The series has only been published up through 21, so don't worry about the placeholder links that he's got. You're not missing anything.

My roommate (Slagheap in case anyone has been here for awhile and remembers him) is really into Planetary and I've read most of what he has from the series. It's pretty good stuff. I like the Doc Brass character but a few of the other homages kinda bug me. It's not that they aren't well done it's more that I've seen them too often in Elliss's work to find them quite as original now.

Something else to look at in a similar vein is Global frequency which to my mind is kind of the better parts of what he did on Authority and Planetary in one book. It's about this group that I kind of picture as a sort of teched out Aeon with a little more interest in taking part in world affairs. Actually come to think of it it's a lot like a followup to Stormwatch. Ehh, whatever.

Jake

Global Frequency was a good read. I hear rumours it's being made into a tv series, although I cringe to think of the damage they'll do to it (supressed memories of Kindred: The Embraced come flooding back ::angry ).

Authority was good under Ellis and Millar. But it's gone downhill a bit recently, all that rebellious energy of the first stories seems to have disapated and left the storylines a little...well, bland.

Global Frequency was a good read. I hear rumours it's being made into a tv series, [. . .]

That was true for a few minutes, but at present, it isn't happening. That's not to say that it won't happen, but just that the most promising possibility is a no-go.

As reported in the November 10, 2004, issue of The Comic Reel:

In the wee hours of the US morning, Warren Ellis broadcasted some news via his Bad Signal email list: "So the news got out while I was away. The WB passed on the GLOBAL FREQUENCY pilot. From what I can gather, we fell foul of a change of network execs and general network politics. Which happens all the time, without rancour. It's my understanding at this time that The WB are releasing the pilot back to us and the studio, Warner Brothers (yeah, I know -- TV and corporate structure are not for the likes of us to understand), and we're going to enter the process of shopping the completed pilot to other networks. Including the ones that bid on the show in the first place. So we're far from dead yet. Crucially, no-one thinks it's a bad show. It simply didn't fit with current thinking at The WB. We're still in the game. Fingers crossed."

November 9, 2004, of The Comic Reel:

Producer John Rogers talked to FrequencySite and confirmed the bad news: the WB has passed on the pilot of the Warren Elis adaptation. "You can make it official," Rogers said. "The WB has passed on the pilot. However, they've also been real gentlemen and released it back to the studio to be taken elsewhere. Many networks hold onto pilots out of spite, fearing that if it succeeds elsewhere, they'll look bad. Luckily the WB folk value the product over politics ... We're scheduling meetings now between various studio humans to decide where to take the show from here. Fortunately for us the television landscape has changed. Midseason and summer launches, 13 episode runs, genre shows are now no longer longshots but viable strategies. DC Comics stands enthusiastically behind both the comic and the show, especially now that they've seen the pilot. I only ask that when we come back to you and ask you to show the TV humans that there IS an audience for a smart, hip genre show, you answer the call. We'll keep everyone updated."

On a sadder note, is not Warren Ellis dead?

If he is, then it happened between yesterday and right now, since he reports in his blog of 17/11/2004 that "In other news, my tonsils are swollen up like ****ing footballs." Maybe he's a bit uncomfortable and possibly even hospitalized, but he's not dead.

Edit: What's with the asterisks? When did this board go all net-nanny? If that's how things are, be sure to check with mom before you look at Ellis' blog. There are some grown-up words there.

Just brought the Absolute Planetary collection from my local comics shop and am absolutely blown away by this series. I was just curious if any other Eon-ites are fans?

Just did the same thing myself yesterday - read it today. Same reaction too - excellent stuff! I got it 'cos I liked Ellis' work on Stormwatch & Authority, but Planetary is, IMHO, even better. The homages to Doc Savage, The Spider, The Spirit & those other pulp-era heroes are pure Adventure! fodder, & the other homages (Fantasic Four, 50' B-Movies, etc.) are just a good. I guess it's revealing that I could recognise pretty much all the source material he's drawn from... Still, who needs a social life, right? ::wink

I'm curious, as to which issues are included in the "Absolute PLanetary Collection"?

I have all of the Ellis issues of Authority and current issues of PLanetary, but I am always excited to see more folks reading the series. I was inspired by this series to make a concerted effort in my aberrant campaigns to tie the Adventure past into my game's present (something a couple Adventure enthusiasts in my group really appreciate). It also does wonders in tieing the Adventure stories to the Aberrant present. Of course I am desperate for issue 22 to come out as it appears it might map to the close of Ellis' last authority issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived