Aberrant: In Pax We Trust - IPWeT - Mechanics thread

ezekiel

Blablabla...mechanics all! This is roleplaying, think game. A nova won't "buy tainted powers" it just happens. If you're calculating mechanics you're definitely missing the whole point of this game...

Alright, I'll rephrase that.

Some novas just explode with taint. In a year or two they melt or something. Fortunately this is pretty rare.

Some novas never get taint. Either they are too weak, or lucky, or their lifestyle or personality isn't conductive to generating it. This is more common, but is still unusual.

Most novas fall in between those extremes, but it is easy for the player to nudge the character to one edge of that continum or the other.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, this game was this close to dying today...House was "broken" into today (ok, backdoor was open...) One teacher got her passport nicked as well as 10000NT$ and two cameras stolen...Robbers left my computer as well as the money stashed in my sock drawer.. ::tongue I think the mess in my room scared them away, they thought it'd already been burgaled.. ::wink

My laptop with all the information is still here! Lol, cops actually printed the place, I think not enough happens here...

and that's that...Game OOOOooooon!

Its a bit late though, I might just post tomorrow. I also might be going South this weekend for a couple of days of fun so expect a Hiatus then as well...

And now we begin the "Greatest American Hero" act alike contest! ::hehe ::hehe

The winner will recieve the coveted 'Hinkly Award' for the best imitation of a hero trying to learn his powers!

::hehe  A special-ed teacher, an FBI agent, and a UFO? That's right, you've guessed it------- The Greatest American Hero. This show was first aired in 1981, and was both a comedy and a drama. A special "power suit" that only works on him is given to the teacher by the aliens, and he is paired up with the gumshoe FBI agent who keeps them both busy with his scenarios. The suit of "unearthly powers" gives the power of strength, flight, invisibilty, flames, telekenesis, vision of events without being there, protection from bullets and fire (if he remembers to cover his head!), and some others that he must figure out as well because; HE LOST THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH THE SUIT!  ::tongue

::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh

"The problems with being a Mad Gamer are finding good GMs who can keep up with you and other players who can understand you. GMs find you hard to predict because you're nothing at all like the average gamer. Often, it will be difficult to find a game with a GM flexible enough to allow you to do all those things you want."

And just who would that be, I wonder? ::sarcasm ::sarcasm ::sarcasm ::sarcasm

/delurk

A nova won't "buy tainted powers" it just happens. 

Just a brief point:

Nova's won't "buy powers". Period.

*Players* buy powers. *Players* buy tainted powers. If the *Player* feels it's appropriate for the Nova to go down that particular road, that's his call (as ok'd by the ST, of course). The Nova really doesn't get an opinion on the subject.

Wheter or not you become the Tainted Great Googlymoogly is a facet of the Charactor Concept (as determined by whoever).

/lurk

I mean I was able to walk through a wall a moment ago so there's a lot here I'm missing.

Just to be sure we understand each other...you didn't walk through a wall. You sunk into the sidewalk and came out from the middle of an alley, out of the pavement...

The Copycat. You really, really like a certain comic strip, television series or movie, and you think that this one character is just the greatest. When it comes time to play, you absolutely must be able to play that one.

Problem is, in a game with randomly-determined attributes and/or skills, it's highly improbable that you'll luck onto the exact die-rolls needed to recreate your favorite character. In a game where attributes and skills are based on a point cost, you might not be allowed enough starting points to perfectly mimic his abilities. And then there's the problem that the GM might be just a little bit too familiar with the character you're copying, and will then use what he knows the weaknesses of the character to be.

Ha ha.. This reminds me a little bit of Quantum Zero - after seeing the Prof push the Stranger's buttons, I can't help but wonder just how many Batman-style characters the former has STed for in his life..

Not that I think Archer is the above type of roleplayer. As far as I can tell creative roleplaying is our beloved admin's middle name. ::smokin

I mean I was able to walk through a wall a moment ago so there's a lot here I'm missing.
Just to be sure we understand each other...you didn't walk through a wall. You sunk into the sidewalk and came out from the middle of an alley, out of the pavement...
True, that was shorthand, or a quick way to describe the undescribeable. He sort of bypassed a wall by merging with the pavement... Until this gets a lot clearer in Joe's head "walked through a wall" isn't a bad shortcut especially since he is talking to someone who probably knows even less than he does.

Hey, Prof., I resemble that remark

Actually, I'm wondering if putting a 'bugman' logo on the chest of Josh's 'suit' would help to strike fear into the hearts of evildoers or not...

::blink

::smile

::bigsmile

::biggrin

::laugh

... maybe the hysterical laughter would give him a tactical advantage instead? ::tongue ::wink

Have you guys seen... "The Tick"?
both animated and live action, too bad they were cancled ::angry
Actually, I'm wondering if putting a 'bugman' logo on the chest of Josh's 'suit' would help to strike fear into the hearts of evildoers or not...
Prof., please dont give 'Zeke any more ideas. It's gonna be hard enough for Schenk to get respect as a Nova as it is... ::shocked ::smiley4 ::wink ::tongue

Thanx, Prof  ...now 'Zeke is going to have Schenk erupt into a Big Bug Battle suit for Josh to wear

Who needs eufiber? ::laugh

Although Josh wearing Schenk next to his skin may be a little too... gay... for the hard-bitten vigillante image he's going for... ::lookaround

"... We're... er... we're just good friends... honest!" ::nervous

Mona is the 'Visitor from Another Game', sort of an alternate reality version of Martha Cross from Malk's 'Cognizant Chimera' game if things in her life had gone differently. In fact, 'Mona Floss' might be her stage name (Zeke came up with it), but I'm kinda tempted to have it be her real name now.

Archived