Aberrant: In Pax We Trust - In Pax We Trust

ezekiel

March 23, 1998

The Galatea research satellite explodes and spews radioactive material into earths jetstream. Three hours later, Randal “The Fireman” Portman becomes the first publicly known Nova. Novas then start emerging worldwide on an almost daily basis…

August 13, 1998

Project Utopia, a private foundation, is formed under the guidance of both the United Nations and the Aeon Society. Their goal is to study Novas and use their abilities to better mankind.

January 1, 1999

In a media spectacle Team Tomorrow, otherwise known as T2M, is revealed to the world. The first members, led by Caestus Pax, recite the T2M Code of Honor by heart for the cameras:

"Thinking only of courtesy, kindness and respect for others, I will constantly endeavor to conduct myself as honorably and compassionately as possible, most especially when circumstances make it difficult to do so.

Once a valid objective has been identified, I shall do everything within my power to achieve those objectives through honorable means, direct or indirect. I acknowledge that as a member of Team Tomorrow, the world expects me to move further faster, fight harder and behave more nobly than any other nova.

My words and deeds have ramifications on others beyond what I perceive and I shall strive to make sure that the lives of those I encounter are made better and more dignified by all I do. I will always endeavor to uphold the honor, prestige and high esprit de corps or Team Tomorrow.

Only the weak and ignorant waste their potential by indulging in destructive and fleeting diversions of drug and alcohol abuse and I shall do my best to avoid such dangers and encourage others to be strong enough to do likewise.

Readily I will help those in need of my assistance; my abilities impart upon me greater responsibilities than others bear, and I will render assistance with graciousness and good cheer, because only the truly strong can be gentle.

Recognizing that violence is the last resort of a limited mind, I shall always seek peaceful alternatives to combat; failing that, I shall resolve combat in as quick and honorable a way as possible for the sake of all those in the vicinity.

Only through cooperation, determination, hard work and skill can I make the world a better place, for there is no accomplishment in sloth, no joy in isolation and no honor in apathy. I have been given the power to change the world for the better and so I shall.

When confronted with danger or any type of challenge, I can be counted on to be physically, mentally and emotionally prepared. I will do my very best and then some in order to prevail, because I am a hero, a role model and a member of Team Tomorrow."

January 8, 1999

Project Utopia opens the first Rashoud facility in Manhattan, New York. The facility is intended as a place where emerging novas can learn about and experiment their newfound powers in a controlled environment with the help of scientists and more experienced novas.

February 18, 1999

The death of Russia’s president leads to the collapse of its government. Amidst the chaos Russia’s economy collapses and delivers a massive blow to the world’s already weakened economy. The “Moscow Crash” leads to a quadrupled unemployment rate worldwide.

March 1, 1999

Project Utopia announces that it is working hard at finding a solution to the economic crisis. It also offers the services on any Nova associated with Utopia to the UN and any government that asks, for relief work. Philanthropic organizations worldwide follow the Aeon Society’s lead and, with the help of Project Utopia’s novas, create the most efficient relief effort in history.

May 19, 1999

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace opens in theaters worldwide. Amidst the Nova happenings fans acknowledge the movie’s mediocrity as purely a special effects extravaganza. George Lucas vows never to direct a movie ever again.

February 1, 2000

Project Utopia announces before the UN General Assembly the start of Operation Clean Sweep, a worldwide environmental cleanup. Skepticism is high but many Governments nevertheless take the opportunity to start civil works projects in hopes of alleviating unemployment. Beyond the world’s wildest hopes, six months later Caestus Pax announces in another media spectacle that the hole in the ozone layer has been sealed and CFC eating bacteria have been introduced in the world’s atmosphere.

Days later, CNN reports

“And so these reports are accurate?”

“Absolutely, I couldn’t believe it when they announced it yet my observations confirm that they’ve done it! I’m glad I don’t make a living off of sunscreen.”

“Thank you, Doctor Wolper. Speaking of economy, how’re the markets today, Anderson?”

“Thanks Paula, third quarter reports show a steady increase…”

Zap!

“A lot of good that’ll do us, eh Steve?”

Rob leaves the remote on the table and stuffs another spoonful of soup into his mouth. The shelter was full again today…The world markets might be doing better but that sure didn’t mean much to the many homeless that lurked in the cities. With a gulp Rob swallows and looks at the old man next to him.

“Ya doin’ anythin’ tanight?”

Elsewhere…

Joe MacArilla enters his Park-view condo after a grueling day on the job. Alice was sitting on the sofa with her open laptop on her lap, her golden hair tied up in a knot and a half drunk cup of coffee still steamed a little on the coffee table. She quickly snaps the computer shut and gets up to greet her husband.

“Hi! I thought I’d surprise you and bring some work home with me...”

She kisses him and looks up with her green eyes through long eyelashes, somehow managing to look even sexier, if that’s possible.

“Maybe we could order some chinese? I’m still working on the merger…”

San Migueleña, Mexico

“God bless you, Doctor Celine, God bless you!”

The old woman proffers her gratitude to the badly scarred doctor for saving her husband. They didn’t have the money for the surgery but they’d heard through the grapevine about the burnt doctor…most patients were uncomfortable when dealing with the doctor but Rosa certainly didn’t show it. Despite his protests Rosa had insisted on cooking dinner and, knowing not to push one’s welcome, she left the doctor with his meal with a kiss on his unburnt cheek…

Back in New York, The Brooklyn Hospital Center

“Time of death, 9:47pm”

The nurse turned off the various machines that go “ping” with a glum look. A drive-by, the boy wasn’t even old enough to shave…

“It wasn’t you’re fault, Lynn, you know that…You’re one of the best doctors I know. He was dead before he even came in here…”

Wilson held the doctor comfortingly in his arms, she knew he was right…

Elsewhere in the Big Apple

“Thanks!”

Barb smiled as she dropped her table cloth on her finished plate and looked around the restaurant.

“It’s really nice to take a break from it all…”

She looks at the man across the table

“So do you have anything else planned for the evening?”

Los Angeles

Schenk was walking towards the restaurant to meet with his agent. Suddenly a group of teenagers in their late teens point and laugh as they run up to him.

“Oh my Gawd! You’re Christian Schenk! You facken’ sucked in ‘IT fell from the sky’, I love that movie! I’ve got to have your autograph!”

The other teens snicker…

and so it begins.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiding his disappointment (subterfuge & acting) , The 6'4" Christian reaches for a photo card he keeps in his wallet and signs it. Then he says, in a East German accent, "I am Glad to be entertaining to you. Would any one else like an autograph?----No? Then “ Stand‘em up, and take them down hard, Boys" (a line from the movie)

He then continues on his way, hoping the next movie will be better. Then remembering ‘Bugman BnG’, thinks if there ever is another movie. ::unsure

San Migueleña, Mexico

“God bless you, Doctor Celine, God bless you!”

The old woman proffers her gratitude to the badly scarred doctor for saving her husband. They didn’t have the money for the surgery but they’d heard through the grapevine about the burnt doctor…most patients were uncomfortable when dealing with the doctor but Rosa certainly didn’t show it. Despite his protests Rosa had insisted on cooking dinner and, knowing not to push one’s welcome, she left the doctor with his meal with a kiss on his unburnt cheek…

Sitting at the tiny table in the cramped living area of his camper, the Doc allows himself a small smile as he eats the delicious home-cooked meal. After he finishes, and washes the dishes, he lies down on the tiny bed, turns the radio on low, and listens to the news as he tries to drift off to sleep.

Days later, CNN reports

<snip>

Zap!

“A lot of good that’ll do us, eh Steve?”

Rob leaves the remote on the table and stuffs another spoonful of soup into his mouth. The shelter was full again today…The world markets might be doing better but that sure didn’t mean much to the many homeless that lurked in the cities. With a gulp Rob swallows and looks at the old man next to him.

Steven takes a sip of his soup, then bites off a piece of slightly stale bread, "Now Rob, don't forget what I told ya. You can't fault the rich for being rich. The best we can do is better ourselves, and try to find our place in society. Maybe these Team Tomorrow folks can make the world better for all of us."

“Ya doin’ anythin’ tanight?”

"I'm going down to the shelter on 6th street, wanna come? I'm teaching some of the folks down there how to read so they can fill out there unemployment paperwork. Looks like it'll be a nice night for a walk..."

New York Restaurant:

“Thanks!”

Barb smiled as she dropped her table cloth on her finished plate and looked around the restaurant.

“It’s really nice to take a break from it all…”

Josh can't help smiling at his sister's comment,

"I'm sure Cavendish appreciates the night off from cooking, at the very least..." ::sly

She looks at the man across the table

“So do you have anything else planned for the evening?”

Barb's dinner companion would probably be spotted as a relation, even if the wealthy siblings weren't well known amongst the city's elite - which, of course, they are. Joshua's plainer features lack Barb's striking beauty - even though his designer suit is worn with enough style to make the man an overall well-wrapped package, & one of the city's most eligible bachelors - but they share the Gideon family blond hair & piercing blue eyes, a dead giveaway for those who know what to look for.

For a brief moment the siblings share an intense look across the table, full of hidden meaning that no-one else is privy to. Then Josh turns to gaze out of the window of the restaurant, watching the masses crowd past,

"It's time, isn't it?" The question is almost whispered, & only half a question in any case. Suddenly the usual playboy smile is back in place, & Josh turns back to Barbara,

"Hey, you know me sis - I'll probably be out partying all night, get myself into all sorts of trouble, & need my big sister to bale me out of some tight spot or other. You know, the usual..." ::sly

Josh places his own napkin on his empty plate, finishes his glass of mineral water, & stands. Heading around the table he crouches down to give his sister a hug & grins,

"Stay in touch, sis, okay?"

Standing again, the millionaire playboy strolls over to the head waiter to pay the bill on his way out into the city. After all, the night is still young...

... Later, a battered fifteen year-old Cadillac rumbles through the streets; through those areas of town the rich pay good money to not have to take notice of. The occupant is as battered as the car, sporting an old army jacket over well-worn work clothes, & a woolen hat above a face bearing the marks of several old scars. Quietly, almost absent-mindedly, the man mutters, seemingly to himself,

"Sector five clear, heading into sector six..."

His eyes dart about the nearby sidewalks & alleys, looking... guarding...

[New York]

Joe MacArilla enters his Park-view condo after a grueling day on the job. Alice was sitting on the sofa with her open laptop on her lap, her golden hair tied up in a knot and a half drunk cup of coffee still steamed a little on the coffee table. She quickly snaps the computer shut and gets up to greet her husband.

“Hi! I thought I’d surprise you and bring some work home with me...”

She kisses him and looks up with her green eyes through long eyelashes, somehow managing to look even sexier, if that’s possible.

“Maybe we could order some chinese? I’m still working on the merger…”

Joe smiles tiredly and responds,

“Ah, they work you too hard Love. But that sounds good to me. Good grief it was a long day. Some practical jokers did something to the traffic lights, again(!), and Matt and I spent most of the day bravely directing traffic.”

Joe kisses her lightly on the lips and then places the order while he was changing out of his uniform. Previous experience had shown him that one of the guards downstairs would ring up about the delivery guy two minutes after he was done. The irony of a beat cop being guarded in this way still wasn’t lost on him but Alice certainly deserved this sort of thing.

Los Angeles

Hiding his disappointment (subterfuge & acting) , The 6'4" Christian reaches for a photo card he keeps in his wallet and signs it. Then he says, in a East German accent, "I am Glad to be entertaining to you. Would any one else like an autograph?----No? Then “ Stand‘em up, and take them down hard, Boys”" (a line from the movie)

He then continues on his way, hoping the next movie will be better. Then remembering ‘Bugman BnG’, thinks if there ever is another movie. 

The hulking Schenk easily hides his feelings from the motley crew. Their eyes widen with glee at the movie quote.

"Thanks man!"

As Christian keeps walking the group stares at the picture and laughs

"Can't believe you actually asked him!"

"Let's show this to..."

A few minutes later Schenk reaches the 'La Castafiore' where he's to meet with Ron Goldman and discuss his future options...

San Migueleña, Mexico

Sitting at the tiny table in the cramped living area of his camper, the Doc allows himself a small smile as he eats the delicious home-cooked meal. After he finishes, and washes the dishes, he lies down on the tiny bed, turns the radio on low, and listens to the news as he tries to drift off to sleep.

The radio still banters on about T2M closing the whole in the Ozone layer, days after the fact. Nova spottings, crimes stopped by novas, life after erupting, theories on how people erupt...seems like the world revolves around Novas now...

The doctor eventually falls asleep...

The soup kitchen

Steven takes a sip of his soup, then bites off a piece of slightly stale bread, "Now Rob, don't forget what I told ya. You can't fault the rich for being rich. The best we can do is better ourselves, and try to find our place in society. Maybe these Team Tomorrow folks can make the world better for all of us."

Rob slaps his knee and answers loudly

"Well if anyone can, Pax can! But its not like dem two bit crooks dey keep arrestin' bother wit any of us though..."

Some people sitting at the table raise their glasses at Rob's praise of T2M's leader

"Amen to that Rob..."

"I'm going down to the shelter on 6th street, wanna come? I'm teaching some of the folks down there how to read so they can fill out there unemployment paperwork. Looks like it'll be a nice night for a walk..."

Rob shrugs

"I ain't no teacher Steve...but I guess I ain't got nutin better ta do..."

Family dinner

"I'm sure Cavendish appreciates the night off from cooking, at the very least..."

Barbara grins at her brother and whispers in gossipy tones

"Ever wonder what he does when he's on his own like that?"

"It's time, isn't it?" The question is almost whispered, & only half a question in any case. Suddenly the usual playboy smile is back in place, & Josh turns back to Barbara,

Barb takes his hand

"Always.."

"Hey, you know me sis - I'll probably be out partying all night, get myself into all sorts of trouble, & need my big sister to bale me out of some tight spot or other. You know, the usual..."

"HA! You be careful, if the cops take you I'm letting you spend the night in the slammer to sleep it off!"

"Stay in touch, sis, okay?"

Looking back at her brother with love in her eyes, she nods and smiles.

"Of course..."

... Later, a battered fifteen year-old Cadillac rumbles through the streets; through those areas of town the rich pay good money to not have to take notice of. The occupant is as battered as the car, sporting an old army jacket over well-worn work clothes, & a woolen hat above a face bearing the marks of several old scars. Quietly, almost absent-mindedly, the man mutters, seemingly to himself,

"Sector five clear, heading into sector six..."

His eyes dart about the nearby sidewalks & alleys, looking... guarding...

Driving by a basketball court the driver notices a group of 'Gangstas' going through a shovebrawl, a telltale sign of trouble soon to come, especially if some were packing and they surely were...One of them, a leader by the look of him, seemed to be staring down the leader of some other gang, busy shoving the others, 4 against 3...

New-York love nest

Joe smiles tiredly and responds,

“Ah, they work you too hard Love. But that sounds good to me. Good grief it was a long day. Some practical jokers did something to the traffic lights, again(!), and Matt and I spent most of the day bravely directing traffic.”

"Hey, at least traffic doesn't shoot back!"

Alice then heads back towards her laptop

"I actually like my job, Joe. ::sly I got the other guys eating out of my palm in the negotiation room today, I think I'll probably make partner after this one..." ::bigsmile

Some time later the phone rings, from the lobby.

"Hiya Joe, you guys ordered some chinese?"

Mean Streets:

Driving by a basketball court the driver notices a group of 'Gangstas' going through a shovebrawl, a telltale sign of trouble soon to come, especially if some were packing and they surely were...One of them, a leader by the look of him, seemed to be staring down the leader of some other gang, busy shoving the others, 4 against 3...

The man in the army jacket keeps on driving past, taking a moment or two to watch the gangs' activities as he mutters,

"Are you getting this? Looks like trouble."

Turning round the next corner, pulling up to stop in the nearest out-of-sight place, the man again talks softly to 'himself',

"This might be it - time to put on the suit. I hope they're just kids being kids, but..."

Shaking his head & quickly scaning the nearby streets for witnesses, the man pulls a sports bag from under the passenger seat of the car, swiftly changing into the outfit it contains...

... The figure that steps out of the car wears a matt black jumpsuit, with heavy boots, gloves, & a mask of the same material which covers his entire head. Combat webbing holds a variety of pouches, grenades, & two holstered pistols, as well as a pair of steel-reinforced high-density-polymer tonfa / nightsticks. Over the webbing is a full length black trench coat. Taking just a moment to check the seals on the mask, he heads into the shadows, prowling back round to where the gangsta's looked ready for trouble. Whispering, & making an effort to keep the healthy dose of fear he's feeling out of his voice, he says quietly,

"Is everything on-line? Can you see okay? Have you got enough for an ID on any of these guys?"

The man in the army jacket keeps on driving past, taking a moment or two to watch the gangs' activities as he mutters,

"Are you getting this? Looks like trouble."

A woman's voice crackles through Joshua's earpiece

"Yeah...could be nothing but...be careful."

Taking just a moment to check the seals on the mask, he heads into the shadows, prowling back round to where the gangsta's looked ready for trouble. Whispering, & making an effort to keep the healthy dose of fear he's feeling out of his voice, he says quietly,

"Is everything on-line? Can you see okay? Have you got enough for an ID on any of these guys?"

"Yeah, the one on the right is Jacob Albright, a real bad guy. Get real Josh! I can barely make them out at this distance...I really wish you'd give this a try during the daytime...::sarcasmwait a minute...police radio says a kid who got shot in this neighborhood just died. This could be payback time...Maybe you should back off Josh, seems awful dangerous to me." ::unsure

The amateur vigilante's heart pounds loudly, trying to leap out of his chest as he approaches. The young Gangsta's still haven't spotted him as he reaches the court pavement. Suddenly, one from the group of three reaches behind him and starts pulling out from under his T-shirt a pistol the size of Idaho... ::nervous

The Brooklyn Hospital Center

"So young.. they are always so young.." Hiding her tears in his chest, Dr. Lynn Walker struggles to catch her breath and silence her anger. Clutching him she leans on him for just a moment giving into her emotional weakness.

"Damnit! How are we expected to work like this?! No matter how hard we work or how much we try to reach them.. more children enter this clinic on their deathbed. In an age of technology.. we can't even protect the children, for godsakes!"

Whipping around her long brown braid swings around almost hitting the other young doctor as she angrily jerks off her gloves and throws them across the room. Staring at the bloody, still form her blue eyes water again as she slams her hands down onto the gurney. Her pale skin seems stretched taught across her cheekbones with stress and weariness.

"He didn't even have a chance to live." Unconciously clenching her fists she paces the width of the room. "Why isn't anyone DOING anything? We have veritable GODS roaming the earth and still.." Her foice trails off as she notices the size of the boys hands. The slim woman leans over grasping the tiny hand and carefully lying it on his chest.

After a few moments of staring at the boy, she almost whispers, "So small, Wilson. Does his family know yet?"

Turning her head, the 5'5 woman seems to almost grow as she tries to get some distance from the frustration and grief. "They should be notified." Keeping her back to him as she wipes the last of her tears away, "Thank you, Wilson. I-I.. well... just thank you."

"So young.. they are always so young.." Hiding her tears in his chest, Dr. Lynn Walker struggles to catch her breath and silence her anger. Clutching him she leans on him for just a moment giving into her emotional weakness.

Wilson strokes her back as he speaks gently

"I know.."

"Damnit! How are we expected to work like this?! No matter how hard we work or how much we try to reach them.. more children enter this clinic on their deathbed. In an age of technology.. we can't even protect the children, for godsakes!"

Whipping around her long brown braid swings around almost hitting the other young doctor as she angrily jerks off her gloves and throws them across the room. Staring at the bloody, still form her blue eyes water again as she slams her hands down onto the gurney. Her pale skin seems stretched taught across her cheekbones with stress and weariness.

"Calm down Ly..."

"He didn't even have a chance to live." Unconciously clenching her fists she paces the width of the room. "Why isn't anyone DOING anything? We have veritable GODS roaming the earth and still.."

"They do what they can Lynn, sometimes that just isn't enough..."

Wilson lies his hands on her shoulders as she keeps looking at the body

Her foice trails off as she notices the size of the boys hands. The slim woman leans over grasping the tiny hand and carefully lying it on his chest.

After a few moments of staring at the boy, she almost whispers, "So small, Wilson. Does his family know yet?"

"No, not yet..."

Turning her head, the 5'5 woman seems to almost grow as she tries to get some distance from the frustration and grief. "They should be notified." Keeping her back to him as she wipes the last of her tears away, "Thank you, Wilson. I-I.. well... just thank you."

Wilson shakes his head

"You don't need to worry about it Lynn, I'll take care of it..."

Wilson starts heading for the door and turns around midway

"And don't thank me, I'm there for you...are you up for coffee

after your shift?"

Nodding, the ever efficient doc starts cleaning room. "That would be nice, Wilson. It looks like I'll miss visitors hour with my mom. Some company would be welcomed. If you need me for.. Just wave, I'll be watching. I never seem to be able to.. find the words."

Straightening the room quickly for the next emergency, Lynn watches sadly from the observation window as Wilson breaks the news to the family. Watching the griefridden relatives try to cope, she quickly pulls a fresh set of scrubs and heads to the bathroom. Some days its seems as if her hands never come clean.

A few minutes later Schenk reaches the 'La Castafiore' where he's to meet with Ron Goldman and discuss his future options...

When Christian gets to 'La Castafiore', he stops for a second to straighten his hair and clothing, and steps in. Once inside, He looks for the maitre'd, and informs him he is expected by Mr. Goldman.

As He approches Mr. Goldman's table, He says (in a self-mocking non-German accent):

"Hey Ron, What's happin'n?" and waits to be invited to sit.

Rob shrugs

"I ain't no teacher Steve...but I guess I ain't got nutin better ta do..."

Steven just smiles and takes another spoon of soup. After they're finished, he gets up, grabs his tray and slaps Rob on the shoulder, "C'mon, the walk'll do your legs some good."

As he puts his tray away, he makes a point of thanking every volunteer personally and shaking their hands. The more astute notice the one thing he's kept from his previous life, a Harvard class ring...

As they start walking down to 6th street, Steven pulls his second-hand jacket closed over his old bones, an uncontrollable shiver running over his body.

"So Rob, where you planning to sleep tonight?"

"Yeah, the one on the right is Jacob Albright, a real bad guy. Get real Josh! I can barely make them out at this distance...I really wish you'd give this a try during the daytime... wait a minute...police radio says a kid who got shot in this neighborhood just died. This could be payback time...Maybe you should back off Josh, seems awful dangerous to me."

"I thought we talked about not using names over the radio?" Josh's comment is as much to distract his sister, & himself, from the danger he's walking into than anything else.

Seeing at least one gang-type go for a weapon, the vigilante [amateur - he'd go professional, but then he couldn't vigilante for his country in the Olympics ::wink ] hurls a tear gas grenade into the midst of the two groups; following up quickly with a taser shot to the guy with the (most obvious) gun.

MIT, Cambridge, MA:

Rubbing his red-rimmed eyes, Frank yawned loudly. Realizing his mistake, he quickly clapped a hand over his mouth before the librarian came to shush him. *Time to head home, I guess. Enough studying for today.* Shutting the dense physics textbook, he slid it and it's companions into his backpack, then slung it over one shoulder. Stifling another yawn, he headed outside, waving to the janitor on his way out.

Slipping the heavy backpack's straps over both shoulders, the thick-shouldered student takes a few minutes to stretch, then starts his nightly jog back to his tiny off-campus apartment.

New-York love nest

"Hey, at least traffic doesn't shoot back!"

Alice then heads back towards her laptop

"I actually like my job, Joe.  ::sly I got the other guys eating out of my palm in the negotiation room today, I think I'll probably make partner after this one..."  ::bigsmile

Joe responds easily,

"Hmm. That would make you the second youngest partner ever..." (Joe has heard this before) "...and the first shouldn't really count. They just insist on underestimating you, don't they?"

There's a lot of easy humor in Joe's voice. Lots of people insisted on underestimating Alice, starting with her parents. Her mother was a model turned trophy wife, her Dad was a razor sharp lawyer. Alice got her mother's body & looks but her father's brains. Neither of her parents cared for Joe, thinking, quite correctly in Joe's view, that she could easily do much better. Of course mentioning any of this could easily end with him sleeping on the couch tonight.

Joe decided to change the subject.

"Matt said to say hello, and that Julia was looking forward to dinner with us again."

Joe's partner Matt's wife Julia was a French National, she had met Matt in Germany 25 years ago when he was in the service. Unlike both of the men, Alice spoke fluent French, so whenever the four of them got together the girls' conversation ended up being alien to the guys.

"And I do like my job, it's just I'd rather be chasing bad guys than cleaning up after them. As the saying goes, I am the city." This had been a favorite saying of Joe's dad and was now one of his.

Joe took his wallet out and went to deal with the food delivery. It had been a long day and he was starting to get a head ache, some food would help a great deal.

Bad news for the King Family...

Nodding, the ever efficient doc starts cleaning room. "That would be nice, Wilson. It looks like I'll miss visitors hour with my mom. Some company would be welcomed. If you need me for.. Just wave, I'll be watching. I never seem to be able to.. find the words."

Straightening the room quickly for the next emergency, Lynn watches sadly from the observation window as Wilson breaks the news to the family. Watching the griefridden relatives try to cope, she quickly pulls a fresh set of scrubs and heads to the bathroom. Some days its seems as if her hands never come clean.

Wilson steps out of the door, towards the waiting boy's mother. Lynn can hear him speak the words no mother wants to hear:

"Mrs King? I'm afraid I have some bads news..."

The woman shakes her head and her lips quietly repeat the same word over and over...

No

She collapses into Wilson's arms with a heart wrenching wail as he tries the best he can to comfort her...he glances at Lynn, the mother's pain reflected in his eyes. Far behind the grieving couple, near the stairway, Lynn sees a boy, barely older than the one on the table, with a look of pure, resolved hatred in his eyes...He turns around all Lynn remembers about him is his stare, and the Nike Swoosh tatooed on the back of his neck...

Before she can think about it, the mother says something to Wilson and with a nod from him they both head toward the room where her dead son is lying where she continues her grieving...

Movie making...and why "B" can be better than "A"

When Christian gets to 'La Castafiore', he stops for a second to straighten his hair and clothing, and steps in. Once inside, He looks for the maitre'd, and informs him he is expected by Mr. Goldman.

As He approches Mr. Goldman's table, He says (in a self-mocking non-German accent):

"Hey Ron, What's happin'n?" and waits to be invited to sit.

Ron lifts his bulk from the chair he's sitting at with a sigh and offers Schenk a hand bearing many rings. His open collared hawaiian T-Shirt reveils an ugly, hairy chest under a an even uglier medallion.

"Schenk?! I've got some good news and some bad news...sit down!"

Goldman squeezes his behind back into the chair

"Lucky for you, the bad news doesn't concern you at all!"

He laughs at his own joke and keeps talking as he waves for a waitress

"The Tom Cruises and Russel Crowes of the world are crappin' their pants Schenk!"

The Waitress arrives at the table with a fake smile frozen to her face

"May I take your order?"

"Yeah, you may May-dah-moi-zelle! ::wink I'll have the steak, bloody as hell and so will he...the thick kind. None of dem sissy slices..."

Ron holds his thick, jewelled, fingers about an inch apart as emphasis

"Anything else?"

"Yeah, a foot massage! Just get us a bottle of house wine and make it snappy dollface!"

The waitress smiles the smile of someone who bears with this type of crap almost every day as she leaves. Ron smiles as he takes an unsubtle peek at her behind..

"That's a good lookin' piece of wool, right there...So where was I? Oh yeah, crappin' d'ere pants!"

Ron lowers his voice as if he was letting Schenk in on a secret

"Listen Schenk, the old stars are dead as...dead! Ever since that Spielberg movie came out...ya know..Nova? Wit dem novas in it? Well, the movie viewers won't settle for anything but them superfolk...right? Well, that's where you come in Schenk! People still like their alternate movies the same as before..Those commentaries you made during the Sydney games? You know, the spot I got for you? Well, they put you back on the map! People have actually started watching Bugman BnG again and a whole cult following has started! You wouldn't believe the number of downloads the movie gets on the net!"

Goldman looks around and lowers his voice even more

"We're doing it big this time Schenk! A biggest budget yet from our house...the sequel to Bugman! The title? Bigger, badder, bugger! ...Get it?"

Ron slaps the table at the genius of the title

"You do your stunts as usual, the pay is twice what you've ever earned and guess what, your co-star is none other than lovely Nancy Hucklesuck! This is gonna make it big Schenk, believe me!"

Cold nights...

Steven just smiles and takes another spoon of soup. After they're finished, he gets up, grabs his tray and slaps Rob on the shoulder, "C'mon, the walk'll do your legs some good."

As he puts his tray away, he makes a point of thanking every volunteer personally and shaking their hands. The more astute notice the one thing he's kept from his previous life, a Harvard class ring...

Most of the volunteers greet Steven by name and seem to genuinely enjoy talking to the man. Rob waits over ten minutes after his friend...

As they start walking down to 6th street, Steven pulls his second-hand jacket closed over his old bones, an uncontrollable shiver running over his body.

"So Rob, where you planning to sleep tonight?"

"Not too sure Steve...kinda cold today for an October night. I was thinking maybe headin' over to the subway...won't get too cold down there tanight."

Breaking the cycle for the King family?

"I thought we talked about not using names over the radio?" Josh's comment is as much to distract his sister, & himself, from the danger he's walking into than anything else.

"Right...sorry.." ::blush

Seeing at least one gang-type go for a weapon, the vigilante [amateur - he'd go professional, but then he couldn't vigilante for his country in the Olympics  ] hurls a tear gas grenade into the midst of the two groups; following up quickly with a taser shot to the guy with the (most obvious) gun.

In his excitement the masked vigilante throws the grenade too hard...it lobs over their heads and starts pouring gas with a bang

"What the fack!"

The one reaching for his gun doesn't lose his resolve and starts pointing it at one of his opponents...but the costumed man is faster. A taser dart hits the boy in the back of the neck, right above a Tattoo of some sort that he can't make out at this distance. The boy spasms as electrical charges course over his body and he collapses to the ground before the others realize what's happening... ::ninja

Couple-Talk!

"Matt said to say hello, and that Julia was looking forward to dinner with us again."

"Oh gawd! You know I love them to bits but I'm really swamped right now! I promise to try to squeeze some time next week but no promises."

"And I do like my job, it's just I'd rather be chasing bad guys than cleaning up after them. As the saying goes, I am the city." This had been a favorite saying of Joe's dad and was now one of his.

Alice grins and offers the same retort she always does...

"C'mon Joe, you're not that ugly..." ::devilangel

Later...

The chinese arrives, the couple eat, Alice tries to make Joe think of something other than his headache...and she succeeds, as usual. ::wink

Geeks 'R Us!

Frank jogs past a group of students (nerds pulling off all nighters on campus is not a rare thing at MIT...) as one of them recognizes him.

"Hey Frank!"

Frank turns around and recognizes one of his classmates, John.

"Did you hear the news? Jasmine DeLois is coming for a visit of her Alma Mater on Tuesday and she's bring ol' Sutherland himself! Rumor has it there might even be a Nova or two at the conference, can you imagine! A nova! Here!"

No one with a geekbone in their body didn't know who Delois and Sutherland were...especially not at MIT. Bodil Sutherland was head of Project Utopia's Science & Technology department and Delois was an MIT graduate, now head of Materials Engineering for Project Utopia...two of the world's greatest minds coming for a conference at MIT, the stuff geeks have wet dreams about at night...

Atlanta, Georgia...a geek of a different sort.

Rebecca was lying down on the cars hood, next to Sam, and looking at the sky. She points one of the stars

"Which one is that one?"

In his excitement the masked vigilante throws the grenade too hard...it lobs over their heads and starts pouring gas with a bang

The vigilante's mind races, *Not good, Josh - you needed that cover...*

A taser dart hits the boy in the back of the neck, right above a Tattoo of some sort that he can't make out at this distance. The boy spasms as electrical charges course over his body and he collapses to the ground before the others realize what's happening...

The vigilante quickly retracts the taser's wires, even as he pulls a second tear gas grenade from his webbing - this one he detonates between himself & the ganstas, *Shit Josh! What the Hell are you doing? We're here to help these kids, not to kill them! Stay calm... remember your training... aim for the central body-mass...*

Over the comm-link he mutters,

"Well, at least they're not going to fight each other for a few moments - not until they've dealth with me..." He sounds more confident than he feels... & doesn't sound that confident... ::lookaround

The vigilante quickly retracts the taser's wires, even as he pulls a second tear gas grenade from his webbing - this one he detonates between himself & the ganstas, *Shit Josh! What the Hell are you doing? We're here to help these kids, not to kill them! Stay calm... remember your training... aim for the central body-mass...*

The boy standing next to the stunned one crouches next to him

"You okay man? Shit..SHIT! Get up *cough* c'mon get up!"

The tear gas starts rising to knee level at this point...

One of the bigger guys charges towards Josh with a wooden baseball bat in his hand...the type that really hits hard... ::lookaround

"Batter up Mutha****a..."

Another follows suit with a pistol in his hand but, leave no man behind being from the army and not the streets, the others run at the sight of a goggled man dressed in black...towards the far side of the court and to the backstreets.

"Not too sure Steve...kinda cold today for an October night. I was thinking maybe headin' over to the subway...won't get too cold down there tanight."

"Yeah, the subway's usually nice this time of year... They promised me a bed at the shelter for teaching, maybe we can see if they've got another for you..."

The tear gas starts rising to knee level at this point...

Noting the slow-moving gas, the masked man mutters,

"Remind me to have a word with The Fixer about the quality of his merchandise..." ::rolleyes

One of the bigger guys charges towards Josh with a wooden baseball bat in his hand...the type that really hits hard... 

"Batter up Mutha****a..."

Another follows suit with a pistol in his hand but, leave no man behind being from the army and not the streets, the others run at the sight of a goggled man dressed in black...towards the far side of the court and to the backstreets.

*Odds are a little more even now, at least... & maybe a shared enemy will stop them killing each other right away...*

Since the two gangstas are moving within hand-to-hand range, the vigilante holsters the taser & draws his paired nightsticks as he attempts to block the baseball bat with one & smash the pistol wielder (hopefully hard enough to prevent him getting a shot off) with the other - he makes what use he can of the, rather poor, cover the two tear gas grenades seem to have provided... & wishes he could dodge bullets...

New York: Couple-Talk!

"Oh gawd! You know I love them to bits but I'm really swamped right now! I promise to try to squeeze some time next week but no promises."
Joe responds, "Fair enough. And when you make partner I'll wear a tux to the party."
"C'mon Joe, you're not that ugly..." ::devilangel
Joe thinks, *Only in your eyes my love*
...Alice tries to make Joe think of something other than his headache...and she succeeds, as usual.  ::wink
{OOC: To keep a family rating we'd better skip over this part. ::wub ::wub}

More than an hour later ::halo...

Joe's headache is still keeping him awake so, yielding to the inevitable, he gets up, pops some asprin, puts on some street clothes and goes for a walk. It's cold but his brown leather jacket (a gift from Alice!) will deal with that. He thinks,

*Perhaps the cold air will clear my head.*

Walking to the shelter

"Yeah, the subway's usually nice this time of year... They promised me a bed at the shelter for teaching, maybe we can see if they've got another for you..."

"Thanks Steve, Thadda be nice..."

Showing bullies who's da man!

Since the two gangstas are moving within hand-to-hand range, the vigilante holsters the taser & draws his paired nightsticks as he attempts to block the baseball bat with one & smash the pistol wielder (hopefully hard enough to prevent him getting a shot off) with the other - he makes what use he can of the, rather poor, cover the two tear gas grenades seem to have provided... & wishes he could dodge bullets...

The vigilante Blocks the batters powerful swing, his right arm still vibrating from the blow as he lunges towards the other kids wrist with his left handed tonfa..and misses as the boy lifts the pistol up high and slams the but on Josh's head...luckily helmeted...

[You're bruised and scared... ::wink ]

"Oh god, I'm calling the cops!"

[You're bruised and scared...  ]

[No I'm not - I'm happily sitting nice & warm in a lovely little thatched cottage in the middle of the countryside... My character might be bruised & scared though... ::sly ]

Reigning in his fear [blows a Willpower], the vigilante again tries his block / strike combo - this time remembering to aim at the guy with the gun's body (the largest target), instead of going for the far-too-difficult to hit wrist,

*Think, Josh - you don't need to disarm him, just to disable him... Concentrate dammit!*

"Oh god, I'm calling the cops!"

"Hold off on that... He hit the thickest part of my body..." The humour is forced, but the sentiment genuine.

Reigning in his fear [blows a Willpower], the vigilante again tries his block / strike combo - this time remembering to aim at the guy with the gun's body (the largest target), instead of going for the far-too-difficult to hit wrist,

*Think, Josh - you don't need to disarm him, just to disable him... Concentrate dammit!*

The bat-wielding brute tries to kick Josh but meets the tonfa on his shin and swears loudly. The costumed vigilante tries to hit the pistol guy at the same time but misses as the thug easily makes his way behind him and slams the pistol down hard on his upperback...Luckily Josh's resolve keeps him from panicking and the gas is starting to make the thugs gag...

[Your character is hurt]

The bat-wielding brute tries to kick Josh but meets the tonfa on his shin and swears loudly. The costumed vigilante tries to hit the pistol guy at the same time but misses as the thug easily makes his way behind him and slams the pistol down hard on his upperback...Luckily Josh's resolve keeps him from panicking and the gas is starting to make the thugs gag...

Josh thinks as fast as he can,

*Can't just defend - that'd give the guy with the gun a clear shot - & I can't dodge bullets. Can't run - that'd give the guy with the gun a clear shot. Can't just attack him & ignore the other guy - that bat could, at the very least, daze me long enough to get shot. If only I hadn't spazzed that first throw; not that the gas is living up to its reputation anyway. We'll need to improve on that - after I'm out of the body-cast. No wonder the cops carry shotguns to riots...*

Running low on options, & under no illusions about his own (lack of) fighting prowess, Josh screws his eyes shut tight & dumps a flash-bang at his own feet...

*Holy Mary Mother of God - this is gonna' hurt!* ::crazy

Ron lifts his bulk from the chair he's sitting at with a sigh and offers Schenk a hand bearing many rings.

Christian takes his hand and shakes it firmly.

"Schenk?! I've got some good news and some bad news...sit down!"

He takes the seat across from Ron.

"Lucky for you, the bad news doesn't concern you at all!"
"It is about time....." ::smile
The Waitress arrives at the table

"I'll have the steak, bloody as hell and so will he...the thick kind. None of dem sissy slices..."

"I had to chew on enough live food in my last movie, make mine well done, if you please."

Ron lowers his voice as if he was letting Schenk in on a secret

Christian cocks his head and leans closer

"Those commentaries you made during the Sydney games? You know, the spot I got for you? Well, they put you back on the map! People have actually started watching Bugman BnG again and a whole cult following has started! You wouldn't believe the number of downloads the movie gets on the net!"

Suprised, he thinks-"That is considered the worst movie ever to play in a theater, he must be confused."

"We're doing it big this time Schenk! A biggest budget yet from our house...the sequel to Bugman!"

"No...." he thinks-- "he can not mean--"

"The title? Bigger, badder, bugger! ...Get it?"

"Does he know what 'bugger' means? I do not think it means what he thinks it means."

"You do your stunts as usual, the pay is twice what you've ever earned and guess what, your co-star is none other than lovely Nancy Hucklesuck! This is gonna make it big Schenk, believe me!"

Christian shakes his head and says,

"I know what I am good at, and will not try to change that, good money or not. But 'Bugman BnG'? Who would want to see a sequel based on that piece of CR...???" Chrisian stops and looks at Ron.. "Did you say 'Nancy Hucklesuck'? I thought she was doing the next James Bond movie with Brosnen? And how did you get her, anyway?" ::sly

The Brooklyn Medical Center- A Mother's Nightmare

Checking her watch, Lynn eyes the scrubs as she scrubs harshly under her nails. Leaning over to rinse her hands she glances at herself and stares for a moment. *When did those dark circles appear? I look.. old. Is that me? Is this who I'm going to be? Some worn out doc railing at the world because nothing changes?*

Closing her eyes she drops her head down and starts splashing water on her face. *Wake up. Take a step at a time. One foot forward. Things will change.* An image of hate filled eyes. "One step I said, darnit. One kid at a time."

Seeing herself as if from a great distance, she slowly dries off as she pulls her braid around and unravels it. Brushing her hair quickly, she leaves it down for the first time since she can remember. Wadding up the bloody scrubs, she dumps them in her locker and grabs a cup of coffee. Adding a good dose of sugar, she goes looking for Mrs. King and Wilson. Passing the nurses station, she confers with the on duty nurse. "Maybe the coffee will fortify the poor woman. We'll have to find someone to give her a ride home. Any other listed relatives? Has the bullet wound been reported to the authorities, Nancy?"

Frank jogs past a group of students (nerds pulling off all nighters on campus is not a rare thing at MIT...) as one of them recognizes him.

"Hey Frank!"

Frank turns around and recognizes one of his classmates, John.

"Did you hear the news? Jasmine DeLois is coming for a visit of her Alma Mater on Tuesday and she's bring ol' Sutherland himself! Rumor has it there might even be a Nova or two at the conference, can you imagine! A nova! Here!"

No one with a geekbone in their body didn't know who Delois and Sutherland were...especially not at MIT. Bodil Sutherland was head of Project Utopia's Science & Technology department and Delois was an MIT graduate, now head of Materials Engineering for Project Utopia...two of the world's greatest minds coming for a conference at MIT, the stuff geeks have wet dreams about at night...

"Hey, thanks man. I didn't know! That's awesome, are they going to let students into the conference? This is totally sweet!" Checking his watch, Frank groans. "Crap. Sorry, gotta hit the sack. Got a major essay to write tomorrow."

Jogging backwards, he waves good-bye, then turns around and picks up the pace to get home. As he ran, he couldn't help but feel his heart pound in anticipation of the conference. Nova engineers and scientists! He could only imagine what marvels they'd reveal. *Man, I'd love to be that smart...I thought I was pretty brainy back the Army, but here even simple classes are kickin' my ass. It's not that's they're hard...well, okay, they're kinda hard, but it's the workload that's killing me. I haven't done this much studying since the SAT's, and this is everyday! Maybe if I was smarter, or just faster, or...whoops, almost ran right past my door!*

Skidding to a halt, Frank turns around and climbs the stairs to his studio apartment. Unlocking the door, he steps inside and drops his bag on the floor, the warmth of the inside sapping any alertness he had a moment ago. Sluggishly moving over to the mattress on the floor, he stripped off his clothes and promptly fell asleep.

When the shit hits the fan...

Running low on options, & under no illusions about his own (lack of) fighting prowess, Josh screws his eyes shut tight & dumps a flash-bang at his own feet...

*Holy Mary Mother of God - this is gonna' hurt!* 

Josh throws the grenade at his feet and cringes at the thought of impending pain...but with a *foom* he simply feels hot air and particles blow onto his legs with little effect.

"What da...I can't see?!" *gasp* this facken Tear gas?! "

The vigilante hears the sound of the solid wood bat hitting the pavement as the thug drops it and puts his hands to his eyes. Behind him he hears stumbling and with a quick glimpse he spots the pistol-wielding perp slowly crawling towards the street and hopefully, out of the cloud.

The solving the mystery of Hucklesuck

Christian shakes his head and says,

"I know what I am good at, and will not try to change that, good money or not. But 'Bugman BnG'? Who would want to see a sequel based on that piece of CR...???" Chrisian stops and looks at Ron.. "Did you say 'Nancy Hucklesuck'? I thought she was doing the next James Bond movie with Brosnen? And how did you get her, anyway?" 

"Hey, you think we don't interest the likes of Hucklesuck? We mentioned your name and, well I won't lie to you, she didn't immediately know who you are but we showed her your picture and told her you were a Gold medalist. Goldman's Gold I told her..hehe, get it? Well, she seemed intrigued and said she'd give it a go. She's in for you Schenk, are you in? Shooting starts in a week...it should take no more than a couple of weeks ta get all the shots...maybe tree. Eastcoast production, we're usin' a bluescreen 'dis time!"

Brooklyn Central and the virtues of "coffee"

Passing the nurses station, she confers with the on duty nurse. "Maybe the coffee will fortify the poor woman. We'll have to find someone to give her a ride home. Any other listed relatives? Has the bullet wound been reported to the authorities, Nancy?"

Nancy looks up

"Yeah, an officer was here earlier...Look, your shift's almost over. How about you call it a night? I'll bring the coffee over to Mrs. King..."

Later...

Wilson walk up to a café nearby, one of the signs of attempts to clean up this corner of the city...

"That was kinda brutal back there...it doesn't get any easier does it?"

Geek idolatry

"Hey, thanks man. I didn't know! That's awesome, are they going to let students into the conference? This is totally sweet!"

A look of mock self-indulgence crosses John's face

"Only if you've got a pass...like this!"

He flashes a name tag bearing Frank's name

"I thought I'd give it to you tomorrow, courtesy of the professor Daintree...He decided to pick some lucky few...See you there!"

He hands the card over to Frank who dreamily heads back home and promptly falls to sleep...

San Migueleña, Mexico

The phone ringing...

It isn't even light out yet, Dr. Hagbarad Celine looks at the clock by his bed..4:46am..

The phone keeps blaring its wake up call...

Brooklyn Central and the virtues of "coffee"

Sitting in a corner booth, the brunette hugs a jean clad leg to her chest. Leaning over a steaming cup of joe and a slice of apple pie, she nods sadly at Wilson and indicates the seat across from her. She smiles at the doctor and reaches over and turns his cup rightside up. Picking up his fork she slides it onto her pie plate with hers. "No, it never gets easier and if it does I'll worry about our humanity. Get everything settled for the Kings?"

Pushing the plate in the middle of the table, she nods to the pie and waves at the waitress. "I'm really starting to wish there was more I could do. It doesn't feel like Medical School prepared me for the true ridgors of holding life in the palm of my hands. *sigh* I'm starting to lose the feel of why I loved this city despite its gritty quality of life."

Running her hand through her hair nervously, she grimaces at Wilson. "I'm sounding whiny. I think I just need a vacation.. or a night of fun. Something. I've spent so much time taking care of Mom and running between the Hospital and clinics, I've forgotten how to be human." Pulling at the neck of her red tshirt, she blushes a little. "Sorry, no more being wimpy. How was the rest of your shift? Would you rather grab a bite to eat. Pies not much I know."

Well, she seemed intrigued and said she'd give it a go. She's in for you Schenk, are you in?

Christian takes a long look at Ron, and a smile comes to his eyes.

"Ron, you have done me right many times before, I will trust you on this one, too."

"Shooting starts in a week...it should take no more than a couple of weeks ta get all the shots...maybe three."

"Ok, I can be there. But can I read the script before shooting starts, this time?"

"Eastcoast production, we're usin' a bluescreen 'dis time!"

"Do I have to pay for my own transportation again?"

"One more thing, about the title, how about B^3 (occ-B cubed) instead. The other title might offend some minorities, and we wouldn't want to loose that Box Office revenue, would we?"

"and yes,I will pay for lunch, again....... ::rolleyes

A look of mock self-indulgence crosses John's face

"Only if you've got a pass...like this!"

He flashes a name tag bearing Frank's name

"Ohhhhh!" Frank tries desperately not to snatch at the dangling badge.

"I thought I'd give it to you tomorrow, courtesy of the professor Daintree...He decided to pick some lucky few...See you there!" He hands the card over to Frank who dreamily heads back home and promptly falls to sleep...

"Su-wheet!" Frank nearly rips the thing in half as he stares at his name on the tag. "Thanks man! Next beer is on me!"

The next morning:

Waking up at 5:00 am, before the alarm as usual, Frank brings his wristwatch up to eye level. Slapping both cheeks lightly to help wake up, he rolls out of bed into pushup position, popping up a quick 50 before hitting the shower. 15 minutes later, and he's out the door, on his morning run to the coffeeshop for that savior of college students everywhere, caffeine.

Back to his apartment by 0600, he decides to relax this morning with a nice healthy dose of online gaming. After getting his tail whipped again on Unreal, he sucks down the rest of his triple-shot mocha and grabs his bag to head to school.

Rebecca was lying down on the cars hood, next to Sam, and looking at the sky. She points one of the stars

"Which one is that one?"

Sam squinted and looked at where she was pointing.

That is Vega, it is the fifth brightest start in Northern night sky. If we where at the observatory we could see its rings.

Sam turned his head towards Rebecca, and looked at her, a little sadly

Its a little like a candle, it burns very brightly, but fast. In a couple of thousend years it will be the brightest star on the nightsky, but then it will die...

Josh throws the grenade at his feet and cringes at the thought of impending pain...but with a *foom* he simply feels hot air and particles blow onto his legs with little effect.

Josh opens his eyes, a frown forming beneath his mask,

*WTF - no 'Boom!'? I'm really going to have to deal with The Fixer when I get my hands on him - this shoddy merchandise is going to get me killed.*

"What da...I can't see?!" *gasp* this facken Tear gas?! "

*Hmmm. I guess the 'flash' part worked, just no 'stun'. Still, it's really not good enough.* Strangely Josh finds his mental analysis of the equipment's performance helps to keep the nerves at bay - helps to make him feel professional.

The vigilante hears the sound of the solid wood bat hitting the pavement as the thug drops it and puts his hands to his eyes. Behind him he hears stumbling and with a quick glimpse he spots the pistol-wielding perp slowly crawling towards the street and hopefully, out of the cloud.

*Okay - the pistol's most dangerous.*

Striding up behind the guy with the pistol, the vigilante cracks him hard enoguh with a nightstick to knock him out. If that's successful, he'll kick the gun away, then go back to deal with the guy who was holding the baseball bat - this time trying to just knock him to the ground, then handcuff his wrists behind his back. If all that actually works [right... ::rolleyes ], he'll check the injuries of the two unconscious thugs - making sure they're not life-threatening - then cable-tie their hands behind their backs. Finally he'll return to the handcuffed thug, hoist him up by his lapels (of whatever is appropriate), & ask (in as menacing a voice as he can manage),

"Why was there going to be violence here tonight?"

I like my Coffee hot and strong...

No, it never gets easier and if it does I'll worry about our humanity. Get everything settled for the Kings?"

Wilson sighs

"As well as can be expected...Her husband arrived and took over. He tried to stay strong...I can't imagine what it'd be like to lose a child like that..."

Pushing the plate in the middle of the table, she nods to the pie and waves at the waitress. "I'm really starting to wish there was more I could do. It doesn't feel like Medical School prepared me for the true ridgors of holding life in the palm of my hands. *sigh* I'm starting to lose the feel of why I loved this city despite its gritty quality of life."

Wilson takes a fork a quaffs a bite of apple pie and listens to Lynn's reflections

"It's alright to feel sad Lynn...you just can't let it hold you down. We do what we can for those people...for every one that dies we save ten? Twenty? Think of all the good you do..."

He reaches for her hand..

Running her hand through her hair nervously, she grimaces at Wilson. "I'm sounding whiny. I think I just need a vacation.. or a night of fun. Something. I've spent so much time taking care of Mom and running between the Hospital and clinics, I've forgotten how to be human." Pulling at the neck of her red tshirt, she blushes a little. "Sorry, no more being wimpy. How was the rest of your shift? Would you rather grab a bite to eat. Pies not much I know."

Wilson raises an eyebrow with a wry grin

"Are you asking me out on a date? Forget my shift, lets talk about your night of fun... ::wink When was the last time you strolled through Central Park? Leaves are bursting into color at this time of year. I can grab a kebab on the way, what do you say?"

Closing the deal...

Christian takes a long look at Ron, and a smile comes to his eyes.

"Ron, you have done me right many times before, I will trust you on this one, too."

Ron smiles, reveiling a glinting gold tooth.

"You're damn right I have..."

"Ok, I can be there. But can I read the script before shooting starts, this time?"

"Sorry Schenk, Roh-Bear's (Robert with an americanized French accent) a real arteeste. Him and the director are trying to make it authentic this time...Remember that movie with the witch in the forest? The girl wit that snot dropping from her nose in that tent? That's what we're going for...I'm sure Roh-Bear will make you look awesome, don't worry."

"Do I have to pay for my own transportation again?"

"Oh, only because this time you're taking percentage! That's right, we're offering you 4% of the profits! Just think about it, you're gonna be rich!"

"One more thing, about the title, how about B^3 (occ-B cubed) instead. The other title might offend some minorities, and we wouldn't want to loose that Box Office revenue, would we?"

Ron looks genuinely confused

"Huh? What da you mean? Minorities? Some bug lovers out there? Fvck, they won't hurt our profits! B cubed...that is kinda like T2 and X2 though...kinda classy if a bit overdone...About Triple Bugger? We need that Bug in the title Schenk, it's about bugs!"

The waitress comes back with two plates bearing large steaks

"and yes,I will pay for lunch, again....... 

Ron smiles

"That's why I like dealing with you Schenk, you've got class!"

Ron winks at the waitress

"Right dollface?!" ::wink

MIT migraine

Back to his apartment by 0600, he decides to relax this morning with a nice healthy dose of online gaming. After getting his tail whipped again on Unreal, he sucks down the rest of his triple-shot mocha and grabs his bag to head to school.

Frank finishes his classes and turns in his essay and heads home with one mother of a headache...here's hoping it won't last 'til the conference tomorrow... ::halo

Sam squinted and looked at where she was pointing.

That is Vega, it is the fifth brightest start in Northern night sky. If we where at the observatory we could see its rings.

Sam turned his head towards Rebecca, and looked at her, a little sadly

Its a little like a candle, it burns very brightly, but fast. In a couple of thousend years it will be the brightest star on the nightsky, but then it will die...

Rebecca sighs dreamily

"Don't you wish you could just fly up there and touch them? What do the rings look like? Like Saturn's?"

The fan smacks it back down..

Striding up behind the guy with the pistol, the vigilante cracks him hard enoguh with a nightstick to knock him out. If that's successful, he'll kick the gun away, then go back to deal with the guy who was holding the baseball bat - this time trying to just knock him to the ground, then handcuff his wrists behind his back. If all that actually works [right...  ], he'll check the injuries of the two unconscious thugs - making sure they're not life-threatening - then cable-tie their hands behind their backs. Finally he'll return to the handcuffed thug, hoist him up by his lapels (of whatever is appropriate), & ask (in as menacing a voice as he can manage),

Josh walks up to the thug crawling away and smacks him with a nightstick, the thug collapses without so much as a groan. The (ex)bat-wielding mastadonte is still heard swearing profusely at the pain the gas is causing his eyes. Twisting the nightstick in his hand, the vigilante runs up to the big guy and shoves the shorter end of the nightstick into his stomach. As the perp doubles over Josh easily handcuffs the man and with a quick shove he falls to the ground letting Josh assess the situation...

He still hears coughing from where the Nike youth collapsed after being 'Tased'...two people coughing...

{OOC: Sorry....}

Rebecca sighs dreamily

What do the rings look like? Like Saturn's?"

"No, they are not like Saturns. Vegas rings are a collection of rocks and dust, while Saturns are made of small ice crystals, and we can see them becous they reflect light. I saw a picture once of them, where the rainbow was reflected in each crystal.

"Don't you wish you could just fly up there and touch them?

Samuel looked up.

"Yes, every time I see them. I would like to be able to fly up there and take home one of the crystals." And give it to you, but that last thing he only thought.

"And you Becky? Dont you ever wannt to get away from it all?"

{OOC: Let's keep locations in our headers... that goes a long way to keeping track of who is doing what and where}

New York: After Couple-Talk!

Joe's headache is still keeping him awake so, yielding to the inevitable, he gets up, pops some asprin, puts on some street clothes and goes for a walk.
Joe goes out and wanders about for a bit, but doesn't seem to run into anything (New York is a big place). His headache fades just a bit and he goes back home to bed and sleeps.

The Next Morning

Alice manages to beat Joe up and presumably to work, Joe suits up and heads to work.

I like my Coffee hot and strong...

Wilson sighs

"As well as can be expected...Her husband arrived and took over. He tried to stay strong...I can't imagine what it'd be like to lose a child like that..."

Lynn nods as she carefully chews her pie. "A nightmare, one long awful nightmare."

"It's alright to feel sad Lynn...you just can't let it hold you down. We do what we can for those people...for every one that dies we save ten? Twenty? Think of all the good you do..."

He reaches for her hand..

Wilson raises an eyebrow with a wry grin

"Are you asking me out on a date? Forget my shift, lets talk about your night of fun...  When was the last time you strolled through Central Park? Leaves are bursting into color at this time of year. I can grab a kebab on the way, what do you say?"

Lynn fiddles with her fork.. "I uh.. I'm not sure." ::blush "I guess that depends on if you think its a good idea. Either way, I'll take you up on that walk." Sliding out, she grabs her coat and shuffles into it, waving at the waitress for the check. ::smile "Kebabs, you said? You'll have to show me where you get some this time of night." ::wink

Archived