One of my other hobbies...

Archer21

oooo... nice. I have an Indian sabre (fairly old, considering the etching is waring off, but not too old... considering the 'Made in India' stamped across the side ::rolleyes ), an old ivory handled royal marine bayonet, another ivory handled hunting knife and a dutch hunting knife all with original sheaths and scabbards. They're a bit rusty, so every now-and-again I get them out and polish them up with a bit of brasso. Not much, but I've enever really been an avid collector. I also have a WW2 trench periscope. It's meant to have bore sighting, but it's lost its internal workings. Still, nice for £8 ::smile .

What's the fascination with sharp pointies? ::blink Not that I don't think they are pretty.. but if u have one... u have them all! ::halo

Teehee.. don't know about yall but it disturbs me to realize the male love of violence extends to such sane seeming gents. ::wink But then I know just who I'll run to when the dead rise from the grave to walk the earth once again. ::rolleyes

Ok, ok. I see the point! ::tongue Female ranting at an end. ::blush

Violence? Who said anything about violence? ::blink In all honesty, my fascination with knives stems more from admiration. The knife is man's oldest tool...for centuries it has served countless generations as a valued companion. Go back even 50 years, and it would've been a shock for any sort of gentleman to be without his trusty pocketknife.

We use knives in our everyday lives, with no intent of violence. How do you eat, or prepare your food? How do you open packages? Do you consider yourself a violent person because you own or use a knife?

I probably use a knife every single day for one simple task or another, and I have not yet used one in a violent act against any person.

Yes, it is true that a knife can be used to hurt someone. So can countless other items. Did you know the most common implement used in documented stabbings is a screwdriver?

Please do not assume I am a violent person based simply upon the fact that I collect knives, nor because I'm a male.

I am sorry if my post is a bit harsh, but your comments, though very likely light-hearted, are a bit upsetting in their wide inclusion.

Ahhh, I'm sorry, Arch. I was just kidding. I don't think you are violent, and I don't see having a collection of knives as a negative thing either. It was just an interesting thing to me that all of my gentlemen friends have a nice collection of knives or swords and few of the women I know even own a pocket knife. I didn't mean to give any offense. Heck, I have a pocketknife myself and carry it with me daily. ::blush I'm sorry for the misconception. ::confused

Hmmm...

I havent got a knife or sword collection (if you dont count the fake Wakisashi i have on my wall, but thats a gift so its ok...)...

On the other hand I probably dont count as eather a friend or a gentelmen to you Tooho ::biggrin

Excellent...

BTW, ::offtopic I just saw King Arthur... It was terrible. Except for numerous logical mistakes (what kind of wall, intended to keep enemys out, have doors that opens inwards?) the story was IMHO kind of boring and bleak without any deepth at all.

Oh, and dont even let me get to the swordfights...

sorry, end of rant.

Hadrian's Wall: I completely agree that opening your doors inward seems pretty dumb, but according to archeological records they actually did open inward. Maybe they had problems with the hinges? Then again, Hadrian's wall was (most likely) more of a psychological deterrant than a real barrier, as the symbolic division of the land by the wall was much cause of anger and fear by the "Wode" aka indigenous inhabitants or Anglos.

Arthur: I completely agree, but I had more of a problem of the women folk rushing into a open battle. Historicly the women of ancient Celtic tribes did fight, but only in defensive battles (i.e. protecting their villages), and were ussually armed with either bows or staves...having "Gwen" charging into battle like a mad elf-queeen from AD&D (A blade in each hand) was a violation of the fourth-wall for me.

Gideon

Hadrian's Wall: I completely agree that opening your doors inward seems pretty dumb, but according to archeological records they actually did open inward. Maybe they had problems with the hinges? Then again, Hadrian's wall was (most likely) more of a psychological deterrant than a real barrier, as the symbolic division of the land by the wall was much cause of anger and fear by the "Wode" aka indigenous inhabitants or Anglos.

It's easier to quickly push a huge door closed than to pull it closed. Plus once you place a beam to bar/reinforce it it doesn't change much. Wonder when the porticullis was invented?

Still haven't seen the movie...I think I might see I, Robot first...(even if having Will Smith in it removes all credibility it might have...that's poor casting if you ask me for an Asimov movie.)

::offtopic

even if having Will Smith in it removes all credibility it might have...that's poor casting if you ask me for an Asimov movie.)

Poor casting, but its not really based on anything Asmov wrote as far as I know. It was "Suggested by Issac Asmov"(their words from the end of the film). Its a good movie in its own right, and Will Smith makes it good. I just wish they would have credited Asmov with the 3 rules instead of that scientist dude...(in the movie of course).

1) Archer: Any way I can get some history on the rectangular knife with two holes and thehorses' head? I'm sorta curious about what that was used for, etc.

2) Ezekiel: I appreciate that I, Robot is only very loosely based on the novel, but why not Will Smith? He's a great actor (Six Degrees, MIB); what makes him wrong for the part? Who would you have preferred?

FR

I don't hate Will Smith, but he's a trademarked actor. His movies have to have the "Will Smith" one liners. It changes what could be a great, more serious movie to a light hearted, ok, action movie. For an Asimov inspired (while not a direct story its extrapolated from his Robot chronicles) movie I probably would've taken someone like...like...Sean Bean! Somehow who can generate grittier, more plausible stuff.

Or John Malkovich! Have you seen Ripley's Game? ::wink ::tongue

As they went "action adventure: with it, I don't thionk Will Smith was that bad of a choice. Of course, it would have been fun to see them write it for Lawrence Fishburne ::biggrin ....

If it had been more based off the movie, I would have liked to have seen Fishburne, Sean Gunn (Kirk on Gilmore Girls), or maybe Clive Owen...Or even Ben Affleck.

Or even Angelina Jolie ::blush ....

FR

Archer: Any way I can get some history on the rectangular knife with two holes and thehorses' head? I'm sorta curious about what that was used for, etc.

Errah...it's a credit card knife, made from titanium. Makers name is Neil Blackwood. He made a small run of them for fun, just as something to keep in your wallet. The two holes are for your index and middle fingers, respectively, so you can hold it. The 'horse head' you're referring to is actually a gargoyle, which is Neil's trademark.

You can visit his website here: Blackwood Knives

Archived