Trinity Universe: TEF OOC

ProfPotts

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick request / comment: when people post their character's actions / speech / responses / whatever, could they please include the character's name somewhere in the post, rather than just 'he' or 'she'?

We all tend to have pretty strong mental images of our own characters - who they are & what they look & act like, but everyone else reading these posts doesn't have that luxury. I know that I have to sometimes go scurrying about checking who's playing which character if the character's name is left out of a post - & it must be even harder for anyone who just happens across the game to see what all the fuss is about.

What's more, I tend to think it's a good idea to get as much description of your character in as possible. Sure characters are described when they initially turn up, but without constant reminders of key features, those descriptions quickly fade from memory. Refering to a character in two or three standard ways is a trick I tend to use myself (such as 'Rex', 'the lizard-guy', 'the reptile-dude', etc.) - I think it helps reinforce the image of that character in everyone's minds. In a game like TEF where everyone is in uniform it's even easier to slip into the background.

In essence, since the game is played in a narrative text medium, we're all writers here - as such we should all try to make our characters as three-dimensional as possible. When proof-reading your posts (eveyone does that, right ::sly ) imagine that you're reading the thing for the first time - if you hadn't written it yourself, would it still make any sense?

E.g:

'He nods & reads the datapad, then says, "I agree".'

... is pretty much meaningless when read by itself, but...

"Bob nods, taking the datapad from the young Lieutenant with his work-calloused hand. Quickly scanning over the 'pad with the practiced eye of a professional the old mechanic's eyes narrow as he reaches the bottom of the list. Looking back up to meet the gaze of the fresh-faced young officer the older man grunts his grudging agreement."

... still isn't narrative genius or anything, but it does tell us that it's 'Bob' who is acting, describes a bit about who Bob is & what he's like, & also notes who he is communicating with.

Does all that make any sense? ::confused

Ten-Four, Mr. ST... Of course... I have the memory of a rabid monkey on a sugar high... So press 1 for more adjectives... press 2 for more adverbbs... press 3 for a big explosion....

::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja ::ninja

I based my character's physical description on this picture which I found by googling "Lt. Cmdr." Btw, if you do that you'll see the lamest excuses for Klingon wannabes ever, some are downright fugly! Anyhoo, pic is of a deceased brit war hero (KIA) who indeed used to be a national Rugby player. Meyers was an athlete as well as a doctor and the pic pretty much focused it for me.

Hey, Coach! If "L""T" is a less formal though still appropriatr way to address a Lieutnent, Would "L"'C" be OK for a Lieutnent Comander?

I have never heard of an abreviation like that for Lieutenant Commander's before. In fact "L""T" is the only one I can think of. In conversation it is commonly accepted to call a Lieutenant Commander simply Commander (or in the Army, Marines and Air Force Lt Colonel is simply called Colonel). For all written correspondence or formal ceremonies (ie. awards ceremonies) the full title or abbreviation LCDR should be used.

I just thought of a possible way to use TK to cheat in poker... ::sly

With TK 3 you get the telekinetic touch. Does that work both ways? You get a psychic sense of touch, but would the object or person you're touching feel it too? Could you - hypothetically, of course ::halo - use TK touch to tap a coded signal on another person? Three pokes - he's bluffing, four pokes - I'll take this pot...

With TK 3 you get the telekinetic touch. Does that work both ways? You get a psychic sense of touch, but would the object or person you're touching feel it too? Could you - hypothetically, of course  - use TK touch to tap a coded signal on another person? Three pokes - he's bluffing, four pokes - I'll take this pot...

You hardly need 3 dots of telekinesis to touch stuff with it - that is kinda' the point of the mode in the first place... ::rolleyes

But yeah, to clarify, you do get to feel it if you're touched with TK.

Of course, using a psionic power to cheat at poker when you're in a room full of people who can sense the use of psionic powers may not be the smartest way to try to cheat, but then I guess not all TEF officers have that razor-sharp-intellect that they're supposed to possess... ::sly ::tongue

Yea...well engineers have to be made of tougher stuff then the norm

Don't worry - Takashi will reprogram all Smithy's country music chips with something much better - like Nihonjin idol music! Yeh! ::thumbsup ::crazy

Of course, using a psionic power to cheat at poker when you're in a room full of people who can sense the use of psionic powers may not be the smartest way to try to cheat, but then I guess not all TEF officers have that razor-sharp-intellect that they're supposed to possess... ::sly  ::tongue

I never said I was going to. Just that it was a possibility... ::wink Besides, that psychic sense of touch can be useful - and entertaining - in many other situations as well...

People, sad to say this but il have to jump the boat on this one...

It seems my schedual is not as free as i thought it would be ::confused

Sorry all...

And sorry Prof, I know it kinds of jumbles around with the story, but as it is now I might be able to post twice a week...

*falls down on my knees begging that Pots wont take the big sword and do a smackdown*

Archived