Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal OOC

Heritage

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do get the feeling that Heritage is reticent to use Delacroix though. My character could always get orders from higher ups when it gets to that...I was thinking of the game freezing up in DoD when Asbjorn (the Captain) was unavailable. In this game the PCs aren't totally isolated though so it shouldn't be too problematic.

Oh and don't worry, my next character won't be a gung-ho, high-strung, bully.

Anyway, I tried Pming Heritage about it but his box is full...

My preference would be the Captain sorting out the mess, 'cos that's his job... After all, Rex wasn't exactly respectful when he greeted the man - I thought giving the guy an opening for yelling at Rex may help. It's a classic 'challenge the new authority figure' type of thing - see how far the guy can be pushed before he snaps. Trust me, it happens (I used to be a teacher)...

I'm kinda' against the idea of Rex just being 'wrong' about the whole thing, 'cos that would mean my character is getting the shaft for reacting to what was actually described at the time, & seems a little unfair. No-one wants to play a total moron - which is what Rex would have had to have been in order to make the errors he now appears to have made, thanks to the later retcons.

If it comes down to the fight, then I'm willing to abide by whatever the results are. Havoc appears so cocky about it I'm begining to think he's got some sort of Aggravated attack or something - but I'd take the chance...

In the end it really comes down to what sort of game Heritage (& us player types) are wanting. Conflict between characters doesn't have to be a bad thing, after all, it just changes the atmosphere of the game. Several of us appear to have created pretty dark & gritty war-story type characters, so I'm not certain that internal conflict within the group is totally unexpected. Of course, if it does stick around, then the group requires a strong leader (like most military units in a conflict situation) in order to keep functioning. Stressed-out soldiers at each other's throats seems part of the setting to me: it's not really meant to be a nice war, now , is it?

Couldn't the Captain just yell at everyone, give Havoc some punishment for his deeds (but not the execution that Rex wants), & get on with it? After all, the only evidence for Havoc's crimes are Rex's account & Havoc's previous admissions - nothing physical. What sort of punishments do the military usually have in any case? Peeling spuds? Chances are that Rex & Havoc will never see eye to eye (they're too different in basic philosopies - Rex sees himself as a soldier fighting for the side he thinks is right, Havoc appears to be out for revenge), but that doesn't mean they can't work together - again, it relies on strong leadership. The whole 'democratic military' bit seems weird to me in any case.

To me the philosophical / moral conflict is an interesting one - war stories that don't engage with such issues are kinda' pointless (unless you're looking for mindless action-adventure). Rex is a typical hard-ass in that he's perfectly willing to kill Havoc for what he's done - but that's in the absence of any authority to stop him. Remember that Rex didn't report the incident, & wanted to sort it out himself? That's 'cos he knows full-well that the correct military chain-of-command, rules & regulations, will allow Havoc to get away with what he did. Rex isn't suicidal - he's not going to risk a charge of treason by murdering Havoc in front of the Captain. 'Friendly-fire' may occur if the opportunity arises - but that just adds to the suspense, right? ::devil

I don't see this incident as a problem, so much as a role-playing opportunity. Of course, if everyone-else actually wants to play a game of mindless action-adventure, then I guess I'm in the minority. ::lookaround

::archerrules (had to use it! ::wink )

I don't have a problem with between-character conflict. The problem is that in this case, both Havoc and Rex are undebatably in the right. If Havoc is punished, he gets stuck with a character who is not only unplannedly sadistic, but dumb enough to get caught at it, and as you say, nobody likes to play the moron.

Not that I'm saying that's a bad solution - I'm just saying that there may be no perfect solution at this point.

If Havoc is punished, he gets stuck with a character who is not only unplannedly sadistic, but dumb enough to get caught at it, and as you say, nobody likes to play the moron.

Although the very act of crushing a guy's hands & pinning a threatening message on his leg is pretty sadistic in any case. It's obvious that Havoc was using 'terror tactics' against the enemy, at the very least. That was his intent, so he should be happy living with the results. He also hasn't at any point expressed any regret for his acts, or any thoughts that they might have been morally wrong, or tried to hide what he did in any way. He wants revenge, & seems to have presumed that the rest of the characters would agree with / appreciate his methods of 'fighting'.

Go on ezekiel - tell me I'm wrong... ::wink

Rex isn't suicidal

Well...he does want to go one on one versus Havoc... ::rolleyes

Although the very act of crushing a guy's hands & pinning a threatening message on his leg is pretty sadistic in any case.

Uh.. ::lookaround

It's obvious that Havoc was using 'terror tactics' against the enemy, at the very least.

The targets weren't civilians, they were armed soldiers in the field. Hardly terror tactics which involves terrorizing the populace. More like warfare with some propaganda material left behind. Anyway, Havoc's learned his lesson and won't be letting anyone live anytime soon.

The point though is that if Havoc stays and kills Rex, that doesn't really solve much since we'd be down one player as well (You, Prof). There's no way Havoc will let Rex live after every insult you've layed down on him (especially his handling of Julia) and he can get rid of Rex... ::ninja ::lookaround ::ninja

The point though is that if Havoc stays and kills Rex, that doesn't really solve much since we'd be down one player as well (You, Prof). There's no way Havoc will let Rex live after every insult you've layed down on him (especially his handling of Julia) and he can get rid of Rex...

Riiiiight...keep tellin' yourself that one. ::tongue

::Flips back a couple-a pages in the story thread to see how that last fight went::

So...uhh...anyone know where heritage ran off to?

Hiding from all your PMs, bro ::laugh

Sorry, I had a major flake-out over this whole deal, but after a full-body massage and consulting with my pastor, I'm back and I'm ready to go. ::thumbsup

Okay, a couple of quick points:

1. Having now used Delacroix a bit, I'm pretty comfortable with him, and I think he could be a strong asset - he's obviously a sort of 'hands off' manager, perhaps a little too hands off, but that can be adjusted. Many people have said they'd like an NPC leader, so I think we'll go with that, at least for now.

2. If we do choose to go with Rex's interpreation of the events, I will say that none of the NPCs would want to work with him, and that some kind of 'war crimes' type of deal is going to happen - Havoc is gone, baby, gone. If it's okay with Zeke, I'd like to put him into the NPC file for later use - if not, that's cool, too. A Havoc that brutal would not be tolerated by the bigwigs up top...at least, not publically ::devil

I'm gonna do 'the big post' today that should take care of much of this, and finally get the recon crew out of suspended animation.

Sorry, I had a major flake-out over this whole deal, but after a full-body massage and consulting with my pastor, I'm back and I'm ready to go.

Wow, Pastors do storyteller counselling now? They have modernized the institution!

2. If we do choose to go with Rex's interpreation of the events, I will say that none of the NPCs would want to work with him, and that some kind of 'war crimes' type of deal is going to happen - Havoc is gone, baby, gone. If it's okay with Zeke, I'd like to put him into the NPC file for later use - if not, that's cool, too. A Havoc that brutal would not be tolerated by the bigwigs up top...at least, not publically

Well...we won't have to fight him will we? ::lookaround Sure, keep him for later.

Wow, Pastors do storyteller counselling now? They have modernized the institution!

I was kidding, but actually when I was in high school, our minister was in our D&D group - we Unitatarian-Universalists are wacky that way ::tongue We helped him do a sermon on the benefits of role-playing, including a scripted game session demo - still one of the highlights of my life ::smile

BTW...is he related to Assassinated President Delacroix?

Y'know, I didn't even realize I'd used the same name until now ::blush To keep things interesting, I'm gonna say yeah, the president was his uncle. Good eye, dude! ::thumbsup

What? I didn't know WP spent to resist CP lasted a whole scene...

No, Delacroix just used Com Pres and I did Willpower rolls for everyone - those three all rolled high enough to beat him, if they so choose. Anyone else would need to spend WP, though I might have missed someone's immunity or something ::blush

O'Reilly, get on the Path and see how the recon's going - if they're not dead, get 'em back here soon as possible. I want to get this damn meeting over with, and I want everybody here. Have Raphael do the port if you have to

Does that mean your calling frenchie back as well...he isent technically gone yet.

Does that mean your calling frenchie back as well...he isent technically gone yet.

Yeah, sure, why not? He is still part of the team, after all, at least for now. Finally caught up on reading your PMs BTW - good stuff, Maynard!

That protius name badge I have means nothing! Errr...It was my half-brothers yea! And he...uhhh...didnt give it to me with a tracer bug or a microphone/camera combo thing. He wouldent do that to me. Really! And...uhh...when you talk...look into the name badge...it...uhhh...helps me hear you.

Dernet...your PM is full Heritage (who shall from now on be known as 'Bub'). I have one last thing to PM you if you (but if your not going to read that one series dont worry about it).

Actually, I'd like to read that particular web comic, so shoot.

Muahahaa! Me new PC is finished!

Coming soon...

Inbox should have lots more space now - PM away, one and all!

It is assumed that he erupted at an early age and his parents covered the birth the best they could.

I think this has cropped up in conversation before in regards to this game, but just for the record, Heritage, are you sticking with the standard Aberrant line that no-one (even the kids with two Nova parents) actually erupts before puberty, or has that changed in the War Journal? Are there actually Nova children running about the setting?

I think this has cropped up in conversation before in regards to this game, but just for the record, Heritage, are you sticking with the standard Aberrant line that no-one (even the kids with two Nova parents) actually erupts before puberty, or has that changed in the War Journal? Are there actually Nova children running about the setting?

Hmm, good question. I would actually say that some kids might erupt under extreme circumstances, but it would be extremely rare. BTW, where was that discussed in canon? I once saw a character online who'd erupted in the womb, and it was a great concept.

BTW, where was that discussed in canon?

Project Utopia, p.138, where it's talking about Dr Toiho having to artificially splice genetic material together in order to make his 'Children':

"Curious about the fact that most novas, even the few born to nova parents, don't erupt until well into puberty, Toiho worked to splice genetic material from two viable (i.e. fertile) nova subjects in order to create novas who were born with a developed MR node, thus giving them the potential to channel quantum power at birth."

So, yeah, it actually says 'most' Novas, but Toiho, wth the resources of Utopia behind him, couldn't find any pre-pubescent subjects & had to build his own - so chances are it's very rare indeed, & when it does occur is most likely more of an 'early developer' thing than a 'born with quantum powers' thing. Kinda' like Jean Grey's background in the comics - where Xavier has to shut-off her telepathy when it's triggered too early by her best friend's traumatic death.

But it's your game - I'm not trying to cry 'canon' or anything - I just like to know how much the characters are expected to know. ::thumbsup

OOC: Oh, god - I just lost a massive post. F@ck, f@ck, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck! I have to go to bed now, but I'll try to recreate it later. (sigh!)

Sorry to hear that, I really empathize with you. I know the lack of motivation that follows the loss of a big post and the feeling that whatever you retype fails to live up to the standards of that fleeting post. ::smiley4

and yet, somehow, the world keeps turning... ::tongue

Archived