Trinity Universe: Lethal Experiments

madcat82

The current day is Monday, September 14th and the 15th is approaching fast. The time is 23.45 and you are currently in a Douglas C-47 Skytrain (Airtransport, supplied by the US) that gets ready for takeoff. The weather can best be described as moody with frequent storms, however for the time being it seems to have cleared up. There is no moon up eather.

About 45 minutes ago you where informed that operation Nightingale have been scheduled earlier then expected thanks to fortunate weather conditions. Apart from your standard gear, you are also equiped with rations for two weeks, your weapon of choice, a medikit, a set of german uniforms, standard tracking gear (map and compas), a rope and a knife as well as other necesseties to survive in a warzone.

As well as being informed that, when you where woken, you where to get battleready you where told that you where to meet your new team as well as getting briefed in more detail on route to the drop zone. The trip should take about six hours. You feel how the plane gets airborn.

Sitting on one of the plane's seats, back to the hull, is a white man about six feet tall, & fairly well built. His blond hair is in a very short 'buzz cut', & his grey eyes are set in a fairly plain looking face. He appears to be no older than thirty. However, it's his outfit that first draws the eye; a smart military-looking one-piece jumpsuit which matches no army anyone recognises. The outfit fastens right up to the man's neck, but with no noticable buttons, or even zippers, & is primarily black, but with a dark green trim. Several patches look like they should denote rank or unit, but are also foreign to all. On the man's feet are heavy-looking boots that appear to fasten at the side, & seem to have hard moulded plates (but not metallic) incorporated into them, & on his hands are matching gauntlets. The man's belt has a complex-looking pistol holster that is fastened around his upper leg, as well as a strange-looking black oval box of unknown material that is clipped on the front of the belt. Also on the belt are various pouches & pockets. In the holster is a large pistol, but again, the design is strange - what can be seen of the grip looks to have no straight lines, giving the gun a rather alien look, & there appears to be no hammer mechanism.

Next to the man is his pack, which contains much more familiar equipment, & a black leather overcoat.

The man appears to hardly notice the bumpy take-off as the plane launches from the grass strip. A few moments after the plane is airborne, he looks around at the others, then leans forward & speaks loudly (in order to be heard over the drone of the aircraft's engines),

"Captain Beckham. My friends call me Brick. I take it we're all going to be working together, but that's about all I've been told. Anyone know what this is all about?"

Sitting across from Captain Beckham is a young white man in his early twenties. His sandy brown hair is cut short and neat, his eyes not visible as he appears to be taking a nap as the plane takes off. Already wearing his German uniform, he seems to only have the basic standard military issue equipment and a sub-machine gun leaning against the hull next to him.

"Captain Beckham. My friends call me Brick. I take it we're all going to be working together, but that's about all I've been told. Anyone know what this is all about?"

The man opens his eyes, startled from his slumber and looks up...

In an obvious American (Midwestern for those that notice) accent he responds, "Hey, nice to meet you. I'm Brian, Brian Courage, and I'm about as clueless as you on this one..."

He looks around at the other passengers and seems to recognize one of the others. He nods at him with recognition.

further up the aircraft a large man stirs, his gaze turning to look at the two Americans. His eyes marked with sleep but it seems remarkable that he could have slept through take-off.

Stifling a Yawn he speaks to his two other Collegues.

"So typical of you Yankees." he says, his voice thick with his russian accent "always so loud" he says with a half smirk.

"But nowhere as loud as comrade Courage's snorring, Da?"

Slowly a grin spreads across his face. Although he appears young his eyes hold so much age and pain that it is almost palpable. Clean shaven, his hair is hidden by his flying helmet leaving but a small tract of face and ever expanding smile to mark him by. Unlike other members of the unit who are equipped with form fitting parachutists suit his is overlarge on him, tied in along the body by pieces of string.

"Hello Brian" he says without great plomp and circumstance "I always knew that you and I would meet again. That is good. I dislike dieing without paying my debts back first."

Looking to 'Brick' he extends his hand. "Good to meet you comrade Captain Beckham. I am Ivan, I'll be the groups liason with the People's Army. Comrade Courage and I have already met, something of which I am very glad" He says turning around and clapping Brian on the shoulder.

"Now, To your question. I am afraid that I too know little of what lays ahead."

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out one of his many packs of chewing gum, offering one to each of the team member. "Propper American Gum, sadly something that the party does not consider vital to the people but one of my many small vices"

Off to one side, a young man glances towards the group.

The boy (who looks like he only needs to shave every 2-3 days, looks in his late teens) speaks with a London Cockney accent:

"Hi all. I mean, Sirs. Private Richard Thomas present. Haven't heard a dicky bird 'bout the mission Sirs."

He's dressed in a German Private's uniform, complete with rifle, and various kit-bags. He's deftly rolling ciggerattes, and they quickly vanish into one of the many bags once complete.

A stunningly beautiful, blonde leans forward, pushing her helmet further back on her head, no longer hiding her face.

“I’ll second that.” Her New York accent is so faint as to be hardly noticeable. “A shame really, considering our current heading. I’m Cassie, by the way. I’m sure it will be an honor.”

She smiles politely to the others, but seems a little uncomfortable in her German regulation jumpsuit. She looks down in disgust at the drab color, but seems to shake her head at her self and shrug it off. Her gear, some of the best that money can buy, is neatly piled at her feet, surprisingly well organized for someone who looks like butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth. She looks perfectly comfortable with the bowie knife, definitely not regulation, strapped down against her thigh.

“Do you think we’ll make it fine with the weather?” she asks calmly as she looks around the craft at her fellow compatriots.

An inconsequential looking man sits on the portside bench between the cabin and jump door. His helmet and upper arms don the red cross. A grey, cowhide flapped, backpack sits by his side, a red cross symbol lies on the main flap. The man, looking to be somewhere in his early to mid thirties, pushes at the rim of his wireframed glasses as he eyes the men and lady in the plane. Breaking with the party's use of english, the man speaks perfect Berliner german.

"You may call me Herr Ziemendorf. Doctor Jens Ziemendorf at your service. Ist this your first jump, Cassie?"

Breaking with the party's use of english, the man speaks perfect Berliner german.

"You may call me Herr Ziemendorf. Doctor Jens Ziemendorf at your service. Ist this your first jump, Cassie?"

The Russian looks to the doctors, his knowledge that only "secure" agents would be chosen for a mission like this dampening his natural suspission of all of that trade.

"Very good herr Doctor, Charlottenburg if i'm not correct?" He replies, his German matching the doctor's, drawing upon his knowledge of Berlin to place the accent to the district.

"I do not know about the others but this will be my first jump in almost a year. Only two before it." He says, finaly switching back to english. "Has anybody seen Comrade Colonel Wintergate? His presence was expected, da?"

Cassie blushes with embarrassment and responds with an exact duplication of his accent. "Yes, I am sorry to say. I'm used to trekking or driving to my digs...uhm...or investigations."

The woman, in her late twenties, 5'6 with a slim build, looks youthful with excitement. "This is my first truly adventurous assignment, though I am a very experienced travelor." She slides closer to the good Doctor and graceful extends her hand to shake his.

Switching flawless back to english she addresses the group respectfully."Dr. Cassandra Stanton, anthropologist, at your service." Her eyes twinkle with merriment as she scans the grouping of men. "Looks like we're going to be a well prepared team."

"Very good herr Doctor, Charlottenburg if i'm not correct?" He replies, his German matching the doctor's, drawing upon his knowledge of Berlin to place the accent to the district.

The doctor smiles and nods

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name...you've been to Berlin then?

"Has anybody seen Comrade Colonel Wintergate? His presence was expected, da?"

Still speaking german the doctor continues

"Ya, I think he's in the cabin with the pilots."

Cassie blushes with embarrassment and responds with an exact duplication of his accent. "Yes, I am sorry to say. I'm used to trekking or driving to my digs...uhm...or investigations."

The woman, in her mid twenties, looks youthful with excitement. "This is my first truly adventurous assignment, though I am a very experienced travelor." She slides closer to the good Doctor and graceful extends her hand to shake his.

"Dr. Cassandra Stanton, anthropologist, at your service." Her eyes twinkle with merriment as she scans the grouping of men. "Looks like we're going to be a well prepared team."

Ziemendorf moves his Mauser to allow Cassie to skoot over and accepts her hand with a smile.

"I'm sure you'll do fine, just remember what the jump instructors told you. - The doctor looks at the group again as she refers to them - yes... - then addresses them - We're going to be jumping behind enemy lines in Austria, I'll allow the Colonel to fill us in on the details. What I'd like to know is who can speak german like a german and who can't. If a patrol stops us I'd like to know when to intervene or not...and what will your names be? Herr Beckam or Thomas isn't appropriate."

Cassie shifts effortlessly into the perfect Berlin German accent again. "I figured Lorenz Kappel was a fine pseudonym for myself, but it's really best if I don't get too close to any guards, herr Doctor. We wouldn't want to tempt fate and have them see me for what I am, instead of the boy I can seem to be."

She sets her helmet forward more to disguise her features and hunches her shoulders down attempting to mimic Private Thomas's movements.

"Won't fool anyone in a strong light." She grimaces but continues with the attempts to adjust her posture and bearing. "I believe before this is over I am going to be very grateful for these uniforms."

"Hey, nice to meet you. I'm Brian, Brian Courage, and I'm about as clueless as you on this one..."

Brick nods to the American.

Looking to 'Brick' he extends his hand. "Good to meet you comrade Captain Beckham. I am Ivan, I'll be the groups liason with the People's Army. Comrade Courage and I have already met, something of which I am very glad"

The Cap' shakes the offered hand, but says in a quiet, & slightly menacing tone,

"I'm sure it'll be a pleasure working with you, Ivan. But call me 'American' again, & there'll have to be some trouble, understand? I'm as British as they come, & damned proud of it."

Brick greets the rest of the group in turn, then looks around, & comments,

"Look, I'm a bit new to this... er... this conflict, I guess you could say, but I've been trying to catch up on all the relevant details. I was under the impression that it was standard practice when parachuting into enemy territory to wear a uniform of your own side, rather than civilian clothes or an enemy uniform. As I understand it, the thinking goes that the 'drop' is the part of the operation during which we're most likely to be spotted & / or captured. Those captured in proper uniform are treated as international law dictates, whilst those in civilian clothes or false uniforms are subject to being tortured & executed as spies. If that has changed for this operation, then perhaps we could be told why?"

Brick then looks to Ivan's gum,

"That's standard issue for the German army is it?"

"... We're going to be jumping behind enemy lines in Austria, I'll allow the Colonel to fill us in on the details. What I'd like to know is who can speak german like a german and who can't. If a patrol stops us I'd like to know when to intervene or not...and what will your names be? Herr Beckam or Thomas isn't appropriate."

"My German is fine, although I won't pretend to be up on the current slang. A convincing cover story is a tad difficult until we know the details of the mission, right?"

"Won't fool anyone in a strong light." She grimaces but continues with the attempts to adjust her posture and bearing. "I believe before this is over I am going to be very grateful for these uniforms."

Brick leans forward,

"Which begs the question, why are you in an exclusively male uniform? As I understand it, there is a segregation of duties between the genders at this point in... er... right now. Why aren't you in a woman's uniform?"

The Englishman looks to the Doctor (who seems to have at least some idea of what's going on),

"Does all this have something to do with the mission? It seems that most of us have had zero briefing, our efforts aren't co-ordinated, we don't even know what each of us is capable of, & our anthropologist here has been issued the wrong uniform. I know things are primitive around here, but even so this operation looks like a pretty pitiful effort at the moment."

Brick leans back & shakes his head.

But call me 'American' again, & there'll have to be some trouble, understand? I'm as British as they come, & damned proud of it.

Without looking around at the others, Cassie leans toward Cap, "First of all, there is no need to feel threatened by our involvement. I'm sure no insult was intended. We want to help just as much as Britian has, and we don't mean to step on any toes." Her eyes flicker briefly to Brian then Ivan.

"Which begs the question, why are you in an exclusively male uniform? As I understand it, there is a segregation of duties between the genders at this point in... er... right now. Why aren't you in a woman's uniform?"

Turning back to the Cap with a bit of fire in her eyes, she responds drolely, her voice sharpening with a heavy New Yorker accent as heat flushes her cheeks, "As to MY uniform, you are aware of the inconvience of parachuting down in skirts, right? Not to mention, why would a nurse be jump landing? Or a Signalhilferin? Last I heard, they came in through the supply lines. And white does show so nicely at night, new moon or not."

Her eyes smile kindly, as her temper dies down. "Truthfully, I have a backup dress, should I need to pretend to be a German citizen, but that is of course a last ditch effort. It's not safe for man nor woman down there, and I would prefer the little safety pants afford me until such time as I am discovered if you understand my meaning. Only a few types of women will be around down there, and I'll garner too much attention dressed as a normal nurse might."

She sighs sadly, "as for my skills, because you bring up a good point, I have my nurse's license, a strong working knowledge of radios, besides a...well a natural aptitude with languages. I worked at the OSS's Research and Analysis branch, so I understand the dangers of what we are doing."

Her eyes go hard, "And if you think to underestimate me, you would be making a grave mistake. I am no limp wristed debutante. I've been in some of the most lawless lands, this world has to offer. You haven't SEEN primitive, until you've felt the three tons of loose rubble and rock crushing down on you as you try to dig yourself out. Every second, aware of the fact that you can't feel your toes, you are bleeding and the only thing that keeps you going is the knawing pain and fear that no one will find you in time. That the only thing between you and death, is your own strength."

Staring him dead in the eye, she'll quickly unsheaths her knife, tossing it end over end, one handed, for a minute, and without looking away from him, resheaths the long bowie knife. "Before you ask, it's nonregulation. Bess goes with me everywhere that I take my 'Pearls." She stresses the last word with a slight smile. "They won't be something you see until our situation becomes dire. I would need a lot more room to properly demonstrate their use. And some jokes aren't polite on a first meeting."

Her face relaxes into a semi-friendly smile. "As for the German uniforms, someone else will have to fill that in. I do believe it is time for the little woman to keep silent." She leans toward Ivan, "Might I have a piece of gum, Comrade Ivan? I haven't seen a stick in a while. Eo so loves candy, he hogs it all." She grins at him expectantly.

A rather large man enters from the cockpit. He is wearing a pilot uniform and seems to have been born by a giant, as he have truble getting out of the front cabin door.

"Hello everyone, Im James Moody, the pilot and captain of this his majestys vessel. Im supposed to fill you in on your mission, so how much do you know? "

The doctor smiles and nods

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name...you've been to Berlin then?

"Ja herr Doctor. I was resident there fore over a year. But let us not go into that now. Such things are not what strangers should talk about in the aircraft of a foriegn government, ja?"

Ziemendorf moves his Mauser to allow Cassie to skoot over and accepts her hand with a smile.

"I'm sure you'll do fine, just remember what the jump instructors told you. - The doctor looks at the group again as she refers to them - yes... - then addresses them - We're going to be jumping behind enemy lines in Austria, I'll allow the Colonel to fill us in on the details. What I'd like to know is who can speak german like a german and who can't. If a patrol stops us I'd like to know when to intervene or not...and what will your names be? Herr Beckam or Thomas isn't appropriate."

"I must agree also with the Doctor. Such names would only arrouse suspision amougst those on the ground. Amoungst the Nazi Pig-dogs you may call me Arnd. I'm sure you all have equally boring names for your papers..." ::wink

The Cap' shakes the offered hand, but says in a quiet, & slightly menacing tone,

"I'm sure it'll be a pleasure working with you, Ivan. But call me 'American' again, & there'll have to be some trouble, understand? I'm as British as they come, & damned proud of it."

The Russian chuckles lightly. ::blink "I understand, We Georgians are commonly being mistaken for Kossovian." ::smile His grip tightens slightly but the grin remains. "Your English eh? And Imperialist Mongrel instead of a Capatist pig?" ::laugh This comment brings another chuckle but not wanting this to escalate further he releases his grip and taps the brits' shoulder. "Do not worry, you will find me much more accepting than many of my kind." ::bigsmile

"Look, I'm a bit new to this... er... this conflict, I guess you could say, but I've been trying to catch up on all the relevant details. I was under the impression that it was standard practice when parachuting into enemy territory to wear a uniform of your own side, rather than civilian clothes or an enemy uniform. As I understand it, the thinking goes that the 'drop' is the part of the operation during which we're most likely to be spotted & / or captured. Those captured in proper uniform are treated as international law dictates, whilst those in civilian clothes or false uniforms are subject to being tortured & executed as spies. If that has changed for this operation, then perhaps we could be told why?"

::closedeyes "I would not worry about the normal army. many of them are just normal people unlike the SS ÑÊÎÒÈÍÀ. It is they who we will have to worry about, da and worry you should if they lay their hands on you. They honour no treaty, they are ÑÊÎÒÈÍÀ of the worst sort. You will disappear, I have seen this done, I has experience this... Personnaly." ::angry The heat and hatred in the russians voice eclipses the jovial laughs that have been so common with him so far and a slightly feral look enters his face, perhaps it was just a trick of the light be for a momment he seemed animalistic, like a dog waiting to be set off it's leash.

"That's standard issue for the German army is it?"

The Brit's question catches the Russian off guard, his mind wandering for a second.

"What? oh... This?" he points to the chewing gum.

"No, not standard, but American gum is much sought after by Nazi soldiers. It's amazing how much room a guard at a Kamp will give a man for a packet.

and I would prefer the little safety pants afford me until such time as I am discovered if you understand my meaning

Ivan nods at this, reaching up to remove the leather flying helmet, his sandy blonde hair being exposed as he does so.

"I totaly agree with the lady. Besides when in Berlin I saw plenty of women wearing the trousers. Mind you, at least I thought there were women at the time but again, this is not the place for such stories."

Might I have a piece of gum, Comrade Ivan? I haven't seen a stick in a while. Eo so loves candy, he hogs it all." She grins at him expectantly.

The Russian grin is back again, what little charm he has comming out full force.

"Da. By all meens madame. If only the other ladies I have known had demands that were so easiy to meet."

After the lady takes a gum he returns them to his pocket before taking out his German Identity book. "I've got myself down as being stationed at the Korrenburg detention centre before being transfered. It's where they keep a number of downed american pilots who served with the 'Eagle' squadrons in the Royal Air Force."

"Hello everyone, Im James Moody, the pilot and captain of this his majestys vessel."

In a side long look to Brick the russian quibs "Surely that makes you either a Major or comadore while we are abore then, Da?" ::biggrin

Im supposed to fill you in on your mission, so how much do you know?"

"Unfortunately nothing Captain Moody., save the name, Nightingale."

"Your English eh? And Imperialist Mongrel instead of a Capatist pig?"

"More like a struggling third world democracy..."

Brick trails off, then glances around, as if he'd spoken out of turn ::lookaround ,

"... um... Britian still has an Empire?" ::confused

"I would not worry about the normal army. many of them are just normal people unlike the SS ÑÊÎÒÈÍÀ. It is they who we will have to worry about, da and worry you should if they lay their hands on you. They honour no treaty, they are ÑÊÎÒÈÍÀ of the worst sort. You will disappear, I have seen this done, I has experience this... Personnaly."

"Does that mean you know for cetain that we're jumping into an area that's not partolled by the regular army? I highly doubt that we have any stealth-capable parachuting gear, right?"

"No, not standard, but American gum is much sought after by Nazi soldiers. It's amazing how much room a guard at a Kamp will give a man for a packet."

"Right..."

Brick looks thoughtful, then asks,

"... so, America is a neutral party in this conflict, correct? With their similar ideologies, I guess it is likely that they'd support these NAZIs with trade goods, if nothing else."

Turning back to the Cap with a bit of fire in her eyes...

...Her face relaxes into a semi-friendly smile. "As for the German uniforms, someone else will have to fill that in. I do believe it is time for the little woman to keep silent."

::blink

Captain Beckham looks confused & slighty stunned by Cassie's reaction to his comments. A few moments after she's finished, he frowns, then replies,

"Have I given any cause for offense? As I said, I'm kinda' new around here; so if I have, then I can asure you that no insult was intended. Where I come from we have equality between the genders; in fact, my supreme commander is a woman, & the toughest soldier you could ever meet. I was merely pointing out that such equality does not exist where we're going. If you've been issued with the uniform of a male soldier, then that fact alone sheds some small light on the circumstances of our mission - it suggests that we're to operate in an arena in which women are not usual. We've all been issued uniforms, not civilian garb, so we can presume that we'll be masquerading as a military force of some kind, but the fact that you've not been issued with a uniform appropriate to a female in the German military or the SS suggests that we're not going to be infiltrating a headquarters or similar locale where support staff wouldn't be out of place."

"Hello everyone, Im James Moody, the pilot and captain of this his majestys vessel. Im supposed to fill you in on your mission, so how much do you know?"

Brick shrugs,

"Only what limited information we can deduce from the composition of our little group, & the equipment we've been issued. Cassie is an anthropologist, so I'm presuming our mission has a cultural element, & the group as a whole seems to be expected to be able to pass as a German combat unit. The rest of us haven't really outlined our own specialities yet. If I'm here then it could be for a particular reaon; or - considering my last meeting with the Colonel - it could just be that it was either this mission or a court martial." ::sly

"Arnd..Kappel..."

The doctor nods to the "men" as they give their german names

"New to this conflict...and you're british? Where have you been these last three years, in a cave somewhere? As for the uniforms, I don't know about you but I don't plan on being caught. If I am, I'll escape. - The doctor says this as if there was nothing to it - The reason we're in german uniforms is obviously to infiltrate enemy lines. What we're to do exactly, I'm not sure."

Her eyes smile kindly, as her temper dies down. "Truthfully, I have a backup dress, should I need to pretend to be a German citizen, but that is of course a last ditch effort. It's not safe for man nor woman down there, and I would prefer the little safety pants afford me until such time as I am discovered if you understand my meaning.

The doctor smiles at Cassie

"That's good to know. A flower should be allowed to bloom, I'm sure we'll find ample opportunity to get you out of those pants..." ::wink

"Hello everyone, Im James Moody, the pilot and captain of this his majestys vessel. Im supposed to fill you in on your mission, so how much do you know? "

"I believe we're dropping in Nurmberg, Austria...I don't know the specifics of the operation though. Enlighten us."

A rather large man enters from the cockpit. He is wearing a pilot uniform and seems to have been born by a giant, as he have truble getting out of the front cabin door.

Cassie nods to the captain, but seems oddly unfazed by his huge size.

"More like a struggling third world democracy..."

Brick trails off, then glances around, as if he'd spoken out of turn  ,

"... um... Britian still has an Empire?"

Cassie stares at Brick for a moment, shakes her head, then just kinda watches him suspiciously.

"No, not standard, but American gum is much sought after by Nazi soldiers. It's amazing how much room a guard at a Kamp will give a man for a packet.

She quirks an eyebrow at the Russian, "How about chocolate? Heard it was worth its weight in favors."

Brick looks thoughtful, then asks,

"... so, America is a neutral party in this conflict, correct? With their similar ideologies, I guess it is likely that they'd support these NAZIs with trade goods, if nothing else."

She almost lurches out of her seat at that. "We would NOT support those hate-mongering fools. President Wilson merely wanted to maintain neutrality. We would not trade with the fascist pigs!" Whether true or not, she says this with such authority, you'd assume she was ordering her country to shout it's denial as well.

"Have I given any cause for offense? As I said, I'm kinda' new around here; so if I have, then I can asure you that no insult was intended. Where I come from we have equality between the genders; in fact, my supreme commander is a woman, & the toughest soldier you could ever meet. I was merely pointing out that such equality does not exist where we're going. If you've been issued with the uniform of a male soldier, then that fact alone sheds some small light on the circumstances of our mission - it suggests that we're to operate in an arena in which women are not usual. We've all been issued uniforms, not civilian garb, so we can presume that we'll be masquerading as a military force of some kind, but the fact that you've not been issued with a uniform appropriate to a female in the German military or the SS suggests that we're not going to be infiltrating a headquarters or similar locale where support staff wouldn't be out of place."

::blink ::blink She seems taken aback. "Since when does England allow women to hold leadership roles in a combat position? Where exactly did you say you were from? I'm sorry, you hit a sore spot. I promise I am well prepared to act as either woman or man. I purchas-...uhm...received three sets of papers. I have a nurse's uniform packed in my gear as well as plain clothes. ::blush Sometime's a commander's escort sees as much as the commander. If I need, I have three different possible explanations for why I am there. I'll know which to use when we get down. (mutters to self) I'd like to see this equality of the sexes."

"I totaly agree with the lady. Besides when in Berlin I saw plenty of women wearing the trousers. Mind you, at least I thought there were women at the time but again, this is not the place for such stories."

Cassie smiles sardonically. "How...unusual. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference." She winks at Ian and laughs. ::tongue

The doctor smiles at Cassie

"That's good to know. A flower should be allowed to bloom, I'm sure we'll find ample opportunity to get you out of those pants..." 

Then laughs harder her upset fully dispelled, "At the earliest convenience, da? I will be more comfortable dressed in plainclothes, I believe. What Arayan woman wouldn't rush to the side of her husband when he is ill? And of course it isn't safe to travel alone? Why else would such a fine group of soldiers be escorting her to him? ::biggrin But enough on me, yes, yes enlighten us, please?" looking politely up to Moody.

"You dont know the specifics of the mission? Who botched telling you?"

The captain seems to be frustrated at these news as his face turns red in anger as well as the barely contained "bloody pencilnecks" that he almost spits out.

"ok, here is the outline. You are to be airdroped near a town known as Nurmberg. Its small, about 3000 people living in it, and it have been fairly untuched by the war. There you are to pose as reserve elements from the second panzar Divison that have been ambushed early this week by advanced russian partisans. Nurmberg is beside one of the smaller supplie lines to the russian front, so it is logical that you shall stay there until transportation arrives.

Nurmberg itself is heavily fortified by enemy troops, namely a veteran paratrooper regiment, about a 100 strong, as well as a large number of SS scientists. The troops is stationed around an old castle near Nurmberg, where it seems to have been some strangeness going on. We have a man in the town that can tell you more, his name is Hans Gottfried.

This is where you come in, the HMSOO wannts information about this so your job is to infiltrate the town and the enemy encampment, find out what they are doing and, if able, disrupt it. The place is run by SS Captain Stefan Klietman, who is to be eliminated if at all possible, be wary however, as he have a specialy commisioned bodyguard who goes under the codename of the Chameleon."

Your escape is to steal an airplane at a newly erected airfield, erected by the paratrooper regiment. Hans is to be the pilot.

Any questions?"

OOC: The Second Panzar Divisione actualy existed, and part of its reserves where in fact ambushed on its way to the front, it did however happen on, nowdays, russian soil.

"New to this conflict...and you're british? Where have you been these last three years, in a cave somewhere?.."

Brick frowns & shake his head,

"Not exactly, no. I'd dearly like to tell you more, but I'm under strict orders not to. In any case, it's all tech' stuff I'm not really sure I understand myself..."

"We would NOT support those hate-mongering fools. President Wilson merely wanted to maintain neutrality. We would not trade with the fascist pigs!"

The Cap' nods,

"Fair enough, although your choice of words is a touch ironic...", he again shakes his head, & adds a humourless chuckle, "... just remember to bring your children up to believe that as well, okay?"

"Since when does England allow women to hold leadership roles in a combat position? Where exactly did you say you were from?.."

"My Commander isn't English. I'm originally from the London arcol'... um... London, although I've travelled quite a bit. Most recently I was stationed in Europe, although things have changed a lot since then."

"... The place is run by SS Captain Stefan Klietman, who is to be eliminated if at all possible, be wary however, as he have a specialy commisioned bodyguard who goes under the codename of the Chameleon..."

The Cap's gaze snaps round to stare at Moody when he mentions the Chameleon,

"They've located him? Perhaps this operation is better run than I imagined."

Brick looks around his teammates, then says,

"The man known as the Chameleon is going to be very dangerous. He's from... he & I share a common background. I'm not sure how much information he brought with him, but there's a chance he may already know we're coming. He may also have access to... 'devices' that are beyond anything you'll have encountered before. He can look like anyone - & I mean absolutly anyone - & may well have other talents besides."

The Captain's lost in thought for a few moments more, then shrugs & manages to crack a smile,

"At least I guess this means I'm not here because I annoyed the Colonel."

"... Any questions?"

"Which of us is in command of the mission?"

Thomas has the blank staring-into-the-distance gaze of a private listening to his CO(s) debating the mission within his earshot.

At this comment, his eyes dart furtively to Captain Moody, as if to plead for guidance.

"Cap'n, that's the best question I've heard yet. It seems this is going to be a military mission, so I think a strict chain of command is in order, in case we know who takes over when... um if, our mission commander dies."

"Not exactly, no. I'd dearly like to tell you more, but I'm under strict orders not to. In any case, it's all tech' stuff I'm not really sure I understand myself..."

"I understand your country's interest in protecting national security, I'm sure each of us was briefed similarly by our own governments, but we're gonna need to know what everyone is capable of if we're gonna trust each other. As for me, I'm just your typical Army grunt. I've had some advanced airborne, jungle and survival training and I'm pretty good with a gun. I've also spent some time with the French Foreign Legion. My German is passable but I still have a slight American accent with it, so I'm probably not the best faceman."

OOC: (I'm not sure how Madcat wants to handle reputation, but it's possible some of you may have heard of Brian)

The doctor listens to what the others say and ignores the inquiry about chain of command by introducing a question of his own

"Where do we meet this Hans and how will we know him? More importantly, how can we be sure he isn't the Chameleon when we meet him if, as Mr. Beckham points out, he could be anybody?."

"I understand your country's interest in protecting national security, I'm sure each of us was briefed similarly by our own governments, but we're gonna need to know what everyone is capable of if we're gonna trust each other.

"Trust is earned, not given away. I'm sure by the end of this mission we'll all know more about each other...suffice it to say that I loathe guns and this - he motions with his Mauser - is more for show than for actual use. I'm a doctor, not a marksman...and I can be a "faceman" when the need arises."

"I understand your country's interest in protecting national security, I'm sure each of us was briefed similarly by our own governments, but we're gonna need to know what everyone is capable of if we're gonna trust each other..."

Brick nods,

"I'm military trained, mostly small unit infantry stuff, although I can also handle an aircraft if needs be - even these primative buckets. My training includes certain... 'talents'... which I've been led to believe are less than commonplace in this day & age... Those, I've been told, are on a 'need to know' basis."

"Where do we meet this Hans and how will we know him? More importantly, how can we be sure he isn't the Chameleon when we meet him if, as Mr. Beckham points out, he could be anybody?."

"I may be able to identify the Chameleon - which is, I presume, why I'm here - but it's not going to be easy. We all need to be alert for his particular brand of treachery."

From what I have heard the first in command is to be Captain Brick, with the second in comman being Brian Courage. The rest of the chain of command you will have to work out among yourselfs. Any more questions?

Captain Beckham shakes his head,

"If you're talking about me, then I suggest we pick someone else. Whilst I do have command experience, I'm probably the least familiar with the conflict out of all of us. It wouldn't do for that lack of familiarity to compromise our mission, or to put team members in danger. What about the good doctor? He seems to know more about what's going on than the rest of us."

The doctor repeats his question

"Where do we meet this Hans and how will we know him? Is there a password to use once we've met?"

What about the good doctor? He seems to know more about what's going on than the rest of us."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence but I've little military experience and I'm a doer, not a leader. Once we've talked with Hans I'll probably leave the group and try to get you in the Castle from the inside, or at least try to find out whats in there...a leader should lead."

"If you're talking about me, then I suggest we pick someone else. Whilst I do have command experience, I'm probably the least familiar with the conflict out of all of us. It wouldn't do for that lack of familiarity to compromise our mission, or to put team members in danger. What about the good doctor? He seems to know more about what's going on than the rest of us."

"Well, it seems to make sense to me, this being a British-run mission."

"As far as dealing with this 'Chameleon' I reccomend we come up with some sort of secrect phase or challenge/response in case we think that one of us is being impersonated. Whaddya think?"

He is supposed to meet you at your droppoint, however if he isnt there or if you miss it, you should find him in Nurmberg, on Helmstadt strasse 45.

Brian pulls out a map and compass, and starts to write down coordinates and directions.

He then looks up, "Someone mentioned before about not having much experience with airdrops? I suggest we have a little refresher training if you're not comfortable. In the Army we plan on 20% casualties with each airdrop, and I'm not sure we're willing to accept that level of degradation at this point."

Cassie looks indifferent to the discussion on leaders, sitting back negligently and letting the men figure it out. ::sleep

"Thank you for the vote of confidence but I've little military experience and I'm a doer, not a leader. Once we've talked with Hans I'll probably leave the group and try to get you in the Castle from the inside, or at least try to find out whats in there...a leader should lead."

::blink "Interesting." Cassie looks at the Doc for a moment, but turns when Brian begins talking. ::lookaround

"As far as dealing with this 'Chameleon' I reccomend we come up with some sort of secrect phase or challenge/response in case we think that one of us is being impersonated. Whaddya think?"

"I think that might me a good plan, especially if we are going to end up seperated. Any suggestions?"

He then looks up, "Someone mentioned before about not having much experience with airdrops? I suggest we have a little refresher training if you're not comfortable. In the Army we plan on 20% casualties with each airdrop, and I'm not sure we're willing to accept that level of degradation at this point."

::nervous

Cassie pales, "Uhm, yeah, let us go over the procedure, again. I don't want to be that twenty percent and it never hurts to practice."

::unsure

She'll lean closer to Brian to listen to the procedure and check her equipment. ::biggrin ::wink

Once the whole "who's in charge thing" gets sorted, Richard turns to the Caption, stands up, and pulls off his very best 'on parade' salute.

"Private Ricahrd Thomas, reporting for duty, sah! Rifleman 1st class. High marks for accuracy, observation, and keeping mum, sah!"

He breaks into a small smile.

"Not graded on 'leaving base without permission' as never spotted, but I know better than to attempt that with you, sah!"

Private Thomas remains in the 'attention' stance.....

Well, it seems to make sense to me, this being a British-run mission."

The russian nods at the suggestion.

"I agree." Turning to look at the doctor he says. "What you do think, Herr Doctor? Should we non combatant's allow the legionaire to be in command?"

Cassie pales, "Uhm, yeah, let us go over the procedure, again. I don't want to be that twenty percent and it never hurts to practice."

She'll lean closer to Brian to listen to the procedure and check her equipment.

Brian seems not to mind the blonde bombshell leaning closer (only wishing that maybe she was wearing a slightly more revealing set of clothing ::devil ) and starts to offer instruction. It seems clear that he does this a few (hundred) times at the words and motions seem to be rote to him. He definately makes sure to give any hands-on assistance ::devilangel that Cassie might need...

Brian seems not to mind the blonde bombshell leaning closer (only wishing that maybe she was wearing a slightly more revealing set of clothing  ) and starts to offer instruction. It seems clear that he does this a few (hundred) times at the words and motions seem to be rote to him. He definately makes sure to give any hands-on assistance  that Cassie might need...

::blush ::blink ::blush

(OOC: snarky boy)

::biggrin

(hands on, my butt.)

::rolleyes

He is supposed to meet you at your droppoint, however if he isnt there or if you miss it, you should find him in Nurmberg, on Helmstadt strasse 45.

"And how will we know him when we see him?"

"I agree." Turning to look at the doctor he says. "What you do think, Herr Doctor? Should we non combatant's allow the legionaire to be in command?"

The doctor shrugs

"Honestly, I believe that if we've been chosen for this mission we must all have heads on our shoulders and the capacity to use it. If the **** hits the fan, we work together to get out of it, it's that simple. I won't be polishing anyone's boots, that's for sure."

"Honestly, I believe that if we've been chosen for this mission we must all have heads on our shoulders and the capacity to use it. If the **** hits the fan, we work together to get out of it, it's that simple. I won't be polishing anyone's boots, that's for sure."

Brick nods,

"Fair enough, if that's how you all want to play it. It's not like my rank is in any currently-recognised service in any case, & the last thing I need is the responsibility for leading a group of people when I know full-well that I'm not the man for the job."

The Captain glances around the group,

"Do none of the rest of you have any command experience?"

"That's a good idea. Not one-hundred percent effective, but a lot better than nothing. So, what's our code-phrase going to be?"

Considering that everyone else is in German uniform, Beckham opens his kit & starts to pull on the enemy gear over the top of his own 'uniform'. Checking the papers he's been given he smiles, then declares,

"Looks like I'm a private on this mission - guess I can't be in-charge." ::wink

"Do none of the rest of you have any command experience?"

"Well, when I was with the Foeign Legion, I did run a couple of 'snatch and grap' mssions, one of which to rescue our 'Comrade' over there. Most of my command experience is in more 'tactical' situations. But yeah, I do have some command experience."

Archived