Transhum Space

Umoja

I recently got into this game. It's really fun, and at the same time offers a very different 22nd century, but still optimistic.

Unlike Trinity it takes place in 2100, rather then the second decade of that century. But more importantly, it makes me realize how "Pulpy" Trinity is. In Transhuman Space, there are no "grav-crystals", it's currently impossible to leave the solar system. And Transhumanism has taken root, as the title suggest. It's fun stuff, and has a very "this can happen" type of feel to it. The only problem is that it's GURPS so to throughly enjoy it (you can just download a free version of the rules off Steve Jackson's site) you need the main Gurps Rulebook and the Compandium I.

Anyone else played it?

I've played in GURPS campaigns (mostly using the Alternate Earth and Time Travel books), but I've yet to play in a campaign using Transhuman Space. Too bad my the schedule of my current occupation keeps me from attending gaming sessions, or I'd be pushing this setting on the GM and fellow players alike quite hard. ::laugh

I happen to have most of the Transhuman Space books, and I agree that it's an excellent hard science fiction setting. As to whether that makes Transhuman Space better than Trinity or Aberrant... It's comparing apples and oranges, really. ::cool

Trinity is awsome as well, but Transhuman Space has a more "I can play a game about buying Software and make it exciting just by Future shock." Trinity doesn't have nearly as much future shock. Which makes the setting very simple to learn.

• 2 years later...

Nods - Trinity went for the Starwarsy idea of making something other than the technology special. Transhuman space is more startrekky.

Gasp!

I-I hope your not saying that Star Trek is hard science fiction?...

...I actually dont care much about the distinction or hard, soft, sci fi, space opera etc. But I know that there are alot of folks that have heart attacks about this stuff.

Transhuman space looks to be a very neat setting, with alot of neat gadgets and whatnot. I personally think that the real-world transhuman philosophy is so laden with hubris that any positive outcome to its pursuit will be accidental. There really are mad scientist folks that would create all sorts of monsters in their dearch for "the truth".

But it does make for nifty sci-fi. Especially dystopic futuress...

Archived