Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - CC: Game Mechanics

Alex Green

Well alex.. I would guess water would flop across the yard :)  albe lava is more of a plasma (which I've benm told is not exactly a liquid.. but similar.)

Plasma is a state of matter that is more disorganized than gas. Solid => Liquid => Gas => Plasma. I think fire is a form of plasma.

What I mean was would the temperature be the same? If it became a normal cool liquid, then what happens if someone drinks it? If it becomes water at its current temperature, then it instantly turns to steam.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay.

Lava is definitely not a plasma. Lava is a liquid, it's just that, being liquid rock, it's incredibly hot and slow-moving.

Fire is also definitely not a plasma. Fire is just oxygen as it moves from O2 (atmospheric, "free" oxygen) to oxides of whatever it is that's burning - a change from a high-energy state to a lower-energy state, so the extra energy comes out in the form of light and heat. Apart from the fact that it's doing that, fire is just a gas.

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, in which there's enough kinetic energy in the matter to strip the electrons from the nuclei, giving it weird magnetic characteristics apart from being pretty darn hot.

If the lava became water, and ProfPotts is correct that it retains its heat under the rules (but come on, when is ProfPotts ever right? ::wink ) it would vaporize pretty instantly, and the vapor would be hot as lava for only as long as it would take the heat to radiate outwards - not very long. The surrounding area would probably get pretty hot.

to expand on what phoenix said...

It would feel like a tropical jungle (on the equator no less) for a few minutes at least after the lose H2O particals took to the air (i.e. becaome steam, which would happen as soon as it became water)

That is *not* comfterable, let me tell you. I used to live on Guam. Fro thoes who dont knwo wher ethat is...its a small tropical island thats almost on the equator. It was *hot*.

Dunno if this changes anything but there's already water in magma. To know more than you've ever wanted to know about melting rocks:

http://courses.geo.ucalgary.ca/glgy311/doc...e12_Igneous.pdf

Changing it all into water wouldn't make it tropical, it'd make steams of scalding water vapor. Hot guam = 40 degrees Celsius. Hot water vapor in magma = more than 1200 degrees Celsius (2200 farenheit) or 30 times hotter. Skin would probably melt off those close enough... ::crazy

I'd suggest turning whatever's next to the magma into water. Water is one of the greatest heat sinks, it'd at least help cool off and solidify the lava...Though the quantity needed would probably need quite an effort on your part. Can you change "earth" into water?

It would feel like a tropical jungle (on the equator no less) for a few minutes at least after the lose H2O particals took to the air (i.e. becaome steam, which would happen as soon as it became water)*.

It would be a lot worse than that. Tropical steam only has a temperature of a hundred or two degrees. Rock has to be pretty hot before it melts and it stores a lot of energy. I.e. this steam would be several thousand dregrees.

Even though steam doesn't generally transfer its heat very well, it would still be enough to burn or kill everyone around (well every baseline close to it).... I think.

Okay, I'm not entirely sure how to portray Megasocials in-game. I've had no previous practice with it, so does anybody have any suggestions for how to best express this in posts?

Since other characters' abilities to sense this has nothing to do with my ability to describe my character, I will simply reveal here that Eddie has megacharisma and megamanipulation ratings of 1 each.

well...you dont really play them. You let them do their thing so to speak.

With Mega Chr and Manip...you walk up and start a conversation with someone and then ask about what you want to know....or just tell someone to do something (which is harder with just 1 dot).

Read the mega-soc thread for more on that

Well, I think I'd point out Terry as a mega-social nova. Though its hard to dissociate his mega-cha from his mega-app I usually try to point it out by having people listen and am extra careful not to insult anyone unless I do it on purpose (the definition of a gentleman...). The most recent example would be the crowd in the restaurant actually listening to Terry's apology and carrying on as if nothing happened despite what had just happened.

For mega-manipulation its sorta different. Take Lance for example, he isn't charismatic at all....he tends to get his way through sheer domination, faulty logic (like the car repair thing for Lance) or (soon) blackmail and other methods. I see manipulation as a blend of intelligence and rapport. I also tried to express it through his walking up to a plane bit. I'm still experimenting with it so you can ask me again in a month or two...:)

Oh, and I think its definitely best to try to play the mega-atts. Sure it takes longer to think about it but its more interesting than...My character convinces "X" to do "Y". Roll mega-man.

P.S. Any comments on my approach and how I convey these in-game, both in CC and QZ would be appreciated.

Edit: removed the "spoiler"

A big hand for phoenix!!

I've had similar thoughts myself, because megasocials should be in your face and obvious, but some times it's hard to know how to describe it. I think a blank statement like this one (outside of the game) is a good way to handle it, because it tells everybody what to picture.

If you instead rely purely on descriptions you run the chance of someone misunderstanding and not responding properly, which is always bad in relation to other PCs. There's nobody in any game setting that's as hard to influence with mega-socials or similar as PCs.

The way I see it, descriptions relating to megasocials have to be repeated every other post, just to remind people, and that gets boring after a while. Ezekiel has done some very good descriptions of the mega-handsome Terry, which I at least sadly get fed up with very quickly ::confused (yes, we all know you're the quantum god's gift to women, now can we get on with it...? ::wink ). That resulted in me playing it a lot more subtly in the QZ elites thread, which means I'm a lot more dependent on the NPC reactions than Ezekiel is.

In your case it's different. Manipulation is an active stat, and when you use it it's relatively easy to use language to underline that your character is extremely persuasive. Charisma is another story. In that case I think we all need to remember that people with high charisma get cut a lot of slack, and that goes doubly for mega-charismos. Your character should be able to get away with more social blunders, insults and the like than the rest of us, and he should be the one we turn to and gather around in social situations.

Example (since I just can't resist it ::tongue ): You don't spill your drink over a mega-charismatic guy's head just because he made some off-hand remark about your friends' sexuality. ::tongue ::wink You give him the benefit of doubt and interpret it all the best possible way, maybe even laugh if you think it was funny.

Thanks - actually, I think you're doing a great job with Terry; when he made his dramatic entrance in the airport I was actually thinking "Wow, he's so cool!" ::biggrin

I know, Megamanip seems fairly easy to roleplay if you just say things no normal person would get away with in a cool way.

I guess you're right in that a lot of megasocials is the way people react to him, which is partly why I posted this. Thanks for the advice.

Oh man, you should take that spoiler off! I want to see people's reactions to that who haven't read it yet! That's funny. ::laugh

Ezekiel: Thanks for clarifying that about Terry.

Mega Appearance has two effects, the way I see it. It makes you incredibly attractive to people of the appropriate sexual orientation, and inspires intense jealousy in everybody else. The only way to balance this is with mega-charisma.

Maybe I just haven't paid well enough attention, but it made things a lot more clearer knowing that Terry is both charismatic and handsome. That means Blaze can actually like the guy even if he's jealous....

It makes you incredibly attractive to people of the appropriate sexual orientation, and inspires intense jealousy in everybody else.

I don't know if I agree with that, that's unearthly beauty's domain. On the baseline level, beauty doesn't automatically inspire jealousy. I know several guys better-looking than I, even competed socially with some, without ill will on the most part. Besides, then a megabeauty can take unearthly beauty without the detriment of a actual aberration.

(yes, we all know you're the quantum god's gift to women, now can we get on with it...?   ::wink ).

*MRSCABLECOUGHCOUGHCOUGH*!!!

This kind of applies to Glacier too, because he has unearthly beauty but no megasocials. It's fun to describe him as slightly evil-looking, but one can only use the word "predatory" so many times.. ::wink

Re: the homophobic Vinnie discussion: I think part of being megacharismatic is that he probably shouldn't have made a remark like that in the first place unless he wanted to piss off Andy, because with megachar he automatically knew what would happen.

I'm not saying it's automatic, but when mega-appearance has the effect that those guys get all the girls, or the other way around, jealousy is bound to occur in most cases. The degree varies, of course, but it's always there in a way

As for Ms Cable... She's one of the best instruments the prof has to remind us all of the various megasocials in the group. Mostly Vinnie's, I admit.

I completely disagree. Charisma should not be an insight in human psychology. It's a natural way of making people like you and would be way too much like manipulation if played as consciously as you portray it.

Read the descriptions. Mega charisma 1 makes even your worst enemy find you likable. That's not because you try to make him like you.

Just to make this clear...

its not just mega-chr 1

Mega-chr 1 is more charismatic than anyone alive right now. Hitler convinced his population that that most problems were caused by jews through charismatic speaches and propaganda films. Mega-chr 1 is even more charismatic.

Y'know that reaaaally cool guy everybody likes? Well, mega-chr 1 is waaay cooler.

Thanks - actually, I think you're doing a great job with Terry; when he made his dramatic entrance in the airport I was actually thinking "Wow, he's so cool!"

Thanks! Yeah, with grav control you can try to pull off some cool stunts. Throw in awe-inspiration and some charisma and you've got a character just asking for groupies... ::wink I always try to make entrances memorable though, not really playing mega-socials...(see Dreams of Dragons for most recent character entrance. I like the fact that I just made an abstract of all that happened through a different perspective. Especially proud of the gravity coming back on line bit... ::smile )

Oh man, you should take that spoiler off! I want to see people's reactions to that who haven't read it yet! That's funny.

Done... ::ninja

Maybe I just haven't paid well enough attention, but it made things a lot more clearer knowing that Terry is both charismatic and handsome. That means Blaze can actually like the guy even if he's jealous....

I thought it was fairly obvious though admittedly a lot of what he did could've been pulled off with just awe-inspiration at some point. I hope Blaze'll still like him after he's played his cards right with Pathfinder... ::wink ::tongue

This kind of applies to Glacier too, because he has unearthly beauty but no megasocials. It's fun to describe him as slightly evil-looking, but one can only use the word "predatory" so many times..

Really? Now that escaped me completely...I think of glacier as a normal teenager looking kinda guy. (description from the party mostly) Or are you talking of the bear?

its not just mega-chr 1

Mega-chr 1 is more charismatic than anyone alive right now. Hitler convinced his population that that most problems were caused by jews through charismatic speaches and propaganda films. Mega-chr 1 is even more charismatic.

Y'know that reaaaally cool guy everybody likes? Well, mega-chr 1 is waaay cooler

This is the last im going to actually comment on this topic...Im agreeing with absie on this...No arguement on this tonight...

Ill leave you with this though...

If a Jew (or any of the other guys that were getting slaughtered by the Nazi's) listened to that...you think they would like Hitler? Just because someone is likable dosent mean your not insulted by what they say...ill agree they have leeway. But a misplaced slur or insult and it pretty much ruins the effect.

I'm not saying it's automatic, but when mega-appearance has the effect that those guys get all the girls, or the other way around, jealousy is bound to occur in most cases. The degree varies, of course, but it's always there in a way

As for Ms Cable... She's one of the best instruments the prof has to remind us all of the various megasocials in the group. Mostly Vinnie's, I admit.

Yeah, its a testament to Prof's quality as ST that he always remembers player's social (and other) traits (if the player plays on it in the least.) Read most of Terry's stuff and you'll see that usually I just play off of Prof. In the Amp room the Novas all reacted to Terry in a certain way (i.e. the barmaid and Pathfinder). Kinda like you and Miss Cable. and the slave girl with Chieftain's character.

I agree that mega-app can inspire jealousy. Though the unearthly app aberration is a good argument against it...but I think the aberration makes it eery even to the opposite sex. Too good to be true in a weird kinda way. Mega-chr would certainly knock off the jealousy though. Instead of thinking its just for his or her looks your genuinely think that the person is a really great person.

I completely disagree. Charisma should not be an insight in human psychology. It's a natural way of making people like you and would be way too much like manipulation if played as consciously as you portray it.

Read the descriptions. Mega charisma 1 makes even your worst enemy find you likable. That's not because you try to make him like you.

Not too sure where I stand on this...I think that the reaction to the statement was probably too much consider your character's mega-chr but that the insult would have insulted. (like my gentleman remark...a mega-chr character should try to never insult anyone I think) Vinnie probably could've smooth talked out of it and had lodestone forget it and love him afterwards:

"look I'm sorry [blablabla] have a beer, on me [blablabla] so how 'bout that Freddy Mercury? Man-o-man did he sing some great songs [blablabla]"

[five minutes later]

Vinnie and Lodestone are found arm-in-arm singing Pet Shop Boys songs at the top of their lungs...

edit: added "but" to make it clear where I stand on app and jealousy...

Mega charisma 1 makes even your worst enemy find you likable. That's not because you try to make him like you.

Maybe you're right. So, (everyone), is there something it's possible to say point at that will offend someone even if you're megachar 5+?

I agree that it shouldn't be a conscious thing, so maybe having an innate idea of what will and will not offend is a bad way to play it. But my most charismatic friends and my friends that unconsciously offend others are two mutually exclusive groups.

Okay, everyone.. Well I'm discovering that maybe it's not just my laptop.. just my laptop discovered the problem first... My cable modem is dying out. So If I'm quiet the next couple days it's because I'm waiting for the cable company to straighten it out..

malk

(added in a moment of cable connectivity)

Oh, crap! Of all the times for me to have Martha do the research thing! Well, I haven't identified who Jerome is on purpose, so I'll just say he's whoever Malk says is appropriate. With the ST being unavailable for a few days, this could be a loooong phone call ::biggrin

It ceases functioning? Honestly, I don't know why but I can't get the internal diagnostics up on the modem, i can't ping it (but yet.. it's still working for now) The cable signals are okay so we know it's not that... I'll dissect it later.. like when I don't need it.

How does a cable modem die? I've never really heard of this happening...

The Second Law of Thermodynamics. ::biggrin

Everything breaks eventually. It's an electrical device, the components can degrade over time, connections can become intermittant, or the software (BIOS) can become corrupt.

There's *buckets* of stuff that can fail in every electrical device.

Yeah, me too.

At which point they shoot the hostages. I think I see the flaw in the 'full frontal' approach.

Matt could do a Powermax, and turn all gunpowder in an area to sand. That would deal with the problem quite nicely.

Or even just do 6 levels of damage to everything inorganic. (Am I the only one who thinks that is an exceptionally weak attack? That should be unsoakable damage).

Archived