Your favorite tv show...

Ayre el KaBeer

Since I cought this wierd flu over a week ago, I've been forced to spend my waking hours in bed or infront of one kind of screen or another. I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing worth watching on Australian tv, free to air and cable alike. So tell me what your favorite current tv show is, so I can either download an episode or have my brother rent it for me...

I watch quite a bit of television (especially while I'm doing something else), but the only shows I make time for on a weekly basis are NYPD Blue and The West Wing. The writing on both is excellent, but the stories are complex and usually run over two or more episodes. They might not be the best shows to pick up for just an episode or two.

South Park, on the other hand, is easy to watch occasionally.

Also, last week's Nova aired a really interesting set of shows about string theory. You can watch the episodes online here.

Well, I fit the American nerd profile pretty closely: all the Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel and the late, lamented Firefly), Simpsons, Futurama and Alias are my favorite recent shows.

I'm not sure if it's available in Oz yet, but the first season of Alias is out on DVD - I just recently got my sister hooked on it, and now she hates me! ::devil With the end of Buffy and the crapification of Angel, I think it's the best thing on American TV; amazing action, wonderful characters, a just slightly heightened reality and tons of cliffhanger endings.

24 with Kiefer Sutherland is also pretty addictive, though the characters aren't super-fleshed out; still, it's a good ride. Seasons 1 and 2 are out on DVD in the US.

I've never watched Sopranos or West Wing, and only seen bits and pieces of Six Feet Under, but to quote Little Nicky 'I've heard good things." We're in a sort of 'golden age' of American dramatic television right now, with several shows that are much better than most Hollywood movies. I think this is because TV writers have a lot more creative control than screenwriters, since the budgets are much smaller and there's less time to second guess every single detail like in feature films.

What ? When I lived in Australia ABC was a great channel! Movies all the time, few commercials...I also like that cult movie, thing, channel. (the one with Red Carpet)

Oh well...I don't watch much tv actually. I do admit in guilt that I've actually (gasp)watched and (god forbid!) enjoyed Tarzan. Moves as he should and is a good example of what minor mega-perception / dex / str. character could be like. My beef with it is that of course Tarzan has an american accent...Its amazing how jungle apes teach New Yorkese these days! And of course cheesy, ladies wet your pants, shots...

Course, no Tarzan will ever replace Greystoke (with Christophe Lambert). I still shudder at the thought of that scene where they shoot the chimp... ::smiley4

I've also sorta grown attached to Smallville (even though I thought it was a bit too teenyboppy when I first watched it.)

Guess that's it. I used to watch West Wing but as soon as they moved Rob Lowe out I lost interest. He made the show in the first 2 seasons.

What ? When I lived in Australia ABC was a great channel! Movies all the time, few commercials...I also like that cult movie, thing, channel. (the one with Red Carpet)

ABC had a huge chunk taken out of its budget and got really bad, really quick. SBS is the other channel you're reffering to, it also had its budget cut but it's still as good as it has always been. Oh and that's Eat Carpet, it's still on, too weird for my tastes.

Well, I fit the American nerd profile pretty closely: all the Joss Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel and the late, lamented Firefly), Simpsons, Futurama and Alias are my favorite recent shows.

Heritage, we have most of those shows here (no firefly) but the episodes are too far apart on the free to air channels (it's like they're trying to spread their lisences as thin as possible) and nothing but reruns on cable. As for West Wing, it's not my cup of java, and after the first series of Sopranos I lost interest, 24 is good though I catch it when I can.

Arcanum, Southpark is a show I can't get enough of, but always end up missing... I'll try to watch Nova as soon as my download limit is lifted, another complaint i have about Australia, we get screwed on Net connections.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, Smallville's probably my favorite show right now. I also try to make time for Monster House on Discovery Channel...very cool show.

When I can, I also like watching the new Justice League cartoon. I used to consider Hawkgirl a total waste, but she's growing on me. I also used to despise Wonder Woman, but they made her a real person in this version. GL's ok, but I've got a soft spot for grumpy old Marines. Superman is, well, Superman...though a couple of nice scenes where he goes nuts on Darkseid. Flash seems to have been relegated to comic relief, no real development there. And Batman continues to epitomize cool. ::cool

• 2 weeks later...

Total dig Justice League, though never did like Batman much. Personally, I love Farscape. Thank god for Sci-fi channels marathon days. They keep me going. Then there is always the new comedy central show Kid Notorious. Not really my cup of tea but it seems to keep my friends rolling.

A shame that you live way off in Australia (way off for a swede anyway ::biggrin ), otherwise I could have burned out a couple of cds with some good stuff on it and mailed it to ya... By the way, I just got a brand new cd-writer and Im itching to use it ::biggrin

I suggest Babylon 5 btw. Real good, high quality series.

Perhaps a couple of movies would serve? Here is my suggestions:

Equlibrium (Cool actionscenes, although I would not give to much for the script)

Below (Well thought out story in my opinion, Im thinking off using it in an orpheus game)

Well, Im out of ideas right now, but I will get back on it ::biggrin

Hmmm, perhaps Dark Angel would serve? I personaly dont like that series, but perhaps you would...

Animatrix? Its a series, sort of, although I only think that the first "episode" is worth watching...

hmmm, thats it for now (and yes, It allways sucks to go to school in the morning... ::biggrin )

Hmmm, perhaps Dark Angel would serve? I personaly dont like that series, but perhaps you would...

I catch it ocasionally... meh.

Animatrix? Its a series, sort of, although I only think that the first "episode" is worth watching...

Ditto.

hmmm, thats it for now (and yes, It allways sucks to go to school in the morning...  )

Thanks for all the recomends, they've been much apreciated, if anything else comes to mind let me know.

For now I've come up with a solution, I've bought the first and second series' dvd box sets for star trek deep space 9. Pricey, but imo DS9 episodes have far more rewatch value than Next Gen and Voyager, though the whole emmisary/prophets plot gave me a severe wedgie.

Archived