[OpNet] Investigating a Murder, Seeking Information

Avenger

Greetings, brothers and sisters in quantum. My name is Avenger. Some of you may know my name -- it is my hope you are in a minority. Thanks to a dear friend of mine I've been made aware of this boards existence and have accordingly come seeking information and advice. I would be most grateful for any information any of you have to offer.

I find this fascinating, if not stifling. An entire online community of gods with little more to do than talk about which other nova they'd most like to nail and beat their chests about how many of their quantum bolts it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop. I want no part of it or your sloth.

I've come seeking information regarding the death of Jennifer Landers. The murder is as of yet unresolved and I have been issued the privelage of solving the crime. Thus far, I have been searching high and low for even the most base clue. My efforts have thus far turned up less than adequate results. This is where you come in.

If anyone has information that could lead me to the murderer or to anyone who may know the identity of said murderer, I am prepared to offer compensation in the form of favors or cash, which you zip-lovers seem to be so fond of. I have access to any resource my backers have to offer. I am certain that any favor you may desire can be fulfilled within reason. If you want someone dead, that can most likely be arranged.

If you have any information which may be useful to me, please leave your contact information and conditions on this board. I will contact you here or privately to negotiate. Any information may only be divulged in private correspondence to myself.

I thank you all for your time and look forward to hearing from any of you.

--Avenger

------------------

Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired.

You mean, you haven't figured it out yet? Step back and take a look at whole picture, I'm sure it will all become clear to you then. Good Luck.

I believe Avenger is more looking for facts and evidence rather than simple intimations and common sense deductions, Adept. I will try to send you something soon Avenger. I do not have much information myself, but I know others who do. Good luck, I'm investigating nova killes (in many senses) myself but have not turned to this incident. Perhaps because I feel others are doing a good job of it. In any event, take care in this Avenger. Stay safe everyone.

Hydra

Correct and incorrect at the same time, Hydra. Thank you for your consideration. You seem to have a great deal more to offer than your bordering-on-brain-dead predecessor, Adept.

Perhaps I should come clean.

Yes, I have a fairly good inclination as to who precisely committed the heinous act. The reason that his sentence has not yet been executed is twofold:

With the sole involvement in this case for my organization resting on my shoulders and taking into account the planned sentence, I need vacuous research, hard evidence and with luck a confession to substantiate the action that will follow. Right now I'm following a paper trail.

Also, as I understand it the nature of this particular assassin will make it very hard to find and keep him. I need reliable information that will lead me to the exact triggerman for a face-to-face confrontation.

In short, 'Adept' (and what a painfully obtuse name you've chosen for yourself), fuck you very much for your advice, but I am conducting a serious investigation in which I am loathe to err in judgement and accuse or sentence the wrong individual. That may be the way things are done in the US gummint, but the people I represent do not take these matters lightly. In short, if you have no aid to offer, I invite you to perform inter-coital relations on yourself. Away from me.

And since you brought up your rather esoteric hobby, Hydra, I thought a slight jest might be in order. If you like, look for obit records dating about six years back in which victims were stabbed and burned to death in their homes. Cross-reference these collected deaths with national databases that you can get your hands on and see what you come up with. Start with A-A, T2M's stomping grounds, circa May 2007. I'm interested to hear what you come up with. And of course, I appreciate your information. You have my gratitude.

--Avenger

------------------

Touchy aren't we? I didn't choose the moniker; it was given to me. I keep it as a convenience, and it's no worse than "Avenger."

Anyways, if I have to hold your hand so you can find your justice than fine. First, a paper trail is not going to get you the killer, or the people who are responsible for Ms. Lander's death. These people don't keep records on things like that. Follow the clues, and use your head.

I assume you have already asked the most obvious questions; Who were her friends, Does she have any enemies, Who was the last person to see her alive, Where was she in the hours before her death, etc. Also ask yourself, who benefited the most from her death? If you have access to her Utopia files, try taking a look at the official autopsy report. See where that takes you.

Now I'm going to suggest something you might, and others will, take offense to. Exhume her body and have your own autopsy done. There may be (in fact there most likely is) a discrepancy between the two autopsies.

While your pawing trough PU's files, take a look at the evidence chain. Find where they are storing the evidence (if it hasn’t already been destroyed) and examine it. A real autopsy and the evidence should show you how she was really killed. Start looking at people who are physically capable at causing those injuries. Now comes the elimination process. Identify who had the motive and opportunity to do the deed. That should put you in the right direction at least. If you still can't get to the bottom of it, leave a method of contact and I'll send you some interesting articles.

And Avenger? For future reference, it is generally considered unproductive to insult the people who you're asking help from.

I know who did it, I am capable of finding him, extracting a confession from him would be most enjoyable, however you are an ass and I have no desire to help you. I guess I'm too involved with my sloth.

Apep

'Avenger' welcome to our little community. It saddens my heart that you feel it beneath you. Hopefully you will come across the data for which you search and will at some time in the future return to us with a more open mind.

However, I would like to point out that your attitude can only garner harsh feelings. Not a wise action considering that many on this site are long in power and short in temper. We try to avoid those little chest puffing sessions that come from the type of crass insults that you feel so free in makings.

I hope that you find what you are looking for. I was a member of Utopia when your friend was taken from us. I was saddened at her parting and the resulting cluster fuck of an investigation is one of the many contributing factors to my parting ways with Utopia. Good day, and good luck.

'Adept' --

Good thing you gave me all those great ideas, because gee whiz, I "reckon" I never would have thought of them without "y'all". Fool. You tell me not to follow the paper trail and then reverse your statement immediately, with the additional revalation that perhaps I should exhume the body. I've already followed your threads of evidence. Evidence is something I have in no small amount. I need proof. Hard evidence. A confession, if I can get it. A paper trail and some autopsy discrepancies does not the burden of proof relieve. As I said, I don't need anymore evidence. I need a body.

Apophis --

No, you're merely an ass. At worst, some punk zip playing Billy Badass in a world where he is a very small fish in a very large pond. At best, a misguided simpleton whos aim is to goad me into reaction. If you knew the answer you wouldn't boast about knowing it and then withdraw like a high school cheerleader. People with the information I have know better than to claim that they could easily find and extract confession from the likely perp. My organization represents some of the most powerful people in the world. If our combined efforts have yet to yield, I'd like to know exactly how you claim to succeed where my organization has failed. If, on the other hand, you happen to be close enough to the perp or the one-in-eight-billion exception to the rule, thank you very much for your ignorant bravado, but I'll do fine without your "help".

My apologies. I forgot for a moment that you are a simpleton.

Prodigy --

You claim I have a closed mind? I don't sit in front of a computer screen talking about meaningless issues for hours at a time. Power of the gods, and you people use it as a means to discuss your pathetic baseline desires and vices. "Yeah, I really wanna nail Narcosis!" "No way, bro, I got tabs on that sweet Alejandra!" "As long as you leave Tommy Orgy to me!" "Ew, what are you, a fag or something?" And on and on and on...

Thank you for your advice, but I am not afraid of any of you and I frankly don't care who of you I anger. If a few sophomoric insults slung via electronic courier is enough to rouse yours or anyones wrath to the point of homicide, perhaps you should have your fucking head examined. The people here are free to say what they will about me -- if I cared about your opinion, I might feel hurt. If what I say means so much to any of you, perhaps you should reevaluate your sense of self-assurance.

I'd like to add that, despite the general consensus, I did not come here asking for favors. As I said when this began, I seek an exchange of information for compensation. To be curt, I couldn't possibly care less whether you love or hate me. As I recall, you do not have to like the hitman you hire to kill the man banging your spouse. You do not get along with the IRS auditor. You are not buddies with the poor asshole behind the counter at the movie theatre. You exchange tender for a product and get the fuck out of his face. I would ask no less and no more.

However, I'm glad to hear that you no longer tow the Project Utopia party line. It was, without a doubt, the wisest decision you could have made. It is my hope that you have ceased squandering your potential on the interests and ambition of baselines and are more fully exploring what it is to be nova. I bid you good day and good fortune.

--Avenger

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited 08-20-2001).]

Look at the facts. Landers was alone. She had her back turned to her assailant so either she didn't know he/she was there or was friendly with them. She was struck physically by someone with a lot of strength. There is no sign of forced entry. There are a hundred ways this could have been done. (from invisibity to shapeshifting to telepathy to po

Hi again, Avenger. Apep, good to hear from you to. Apep, you should try to cut Avenger some slack. He has had nearly a bad a time as you have had these past few months.

As for the investigation:

1. The crime scene was misted with a biological acid that made all genetic evidence comprimised. Likewise, the scene was bombarded with a powerful quantum pulse that makes looking back a tad bit difficult. Both these things were done 6 to 8 hours after the fact. I can only assume that Prodigy's ally made it to the scene within that timeframe. Also, all the electronics were removed from the apartment.

2. The body buried in Jennifer Lander's grave isn't her. It is a non-viable clone of her with the markings of the crime expertly applied. How did the folks who replaced the body screw up? Eyes accumulate a certain amount of deterus when the blink. Can't help it. The body in the grave never blinked in its 'life'. Nice one, sparky. If you use q-powers at the gravesight, Utopia comes looking for ya. Just a warning.

3. The two baseline police officers who were first on the scene have both died in tragic accidents. The senior one was promoted, taskforced to a Organized Crime Taskforce in Bangalore and killed during a bank robbery. The junior partner was transfered up to Kashmir for his reserve training and drove over a land mine. Most tragic. The senior officer's father-in-law told me that something was bothering the man after the Slider murder, but he never talked about it. The murder investigator arrived on the scene to find the UN team already on sight and ramrodding the case, but he is still alive to tell you what little he knows.

4. Check out the room next to Sliders (south side). It was unoccupied for renovations, but also had all of its electronics replaced after the event. Ask the lady in 308, she remembers the racket they made.

Good luck and stay frosty on this one. As nice as Ms. Landers was, so very few people really want to find out who killed her. The Teragen want to avoid being blamed, no matter what, and Utopia doesn't want anyone to bring the matter up.

Also, Charabin has been killed three or four times, already. Could someone try to take this guy alive for once?

------my previous post is gone damnit

Jager,

Forever the peacemaker you are. I'll cut him some slack when he cuts us some. I'm glad to see you back.

Avenger,

I don't care how hard things are, you don't have to be so rude. What's more pathetic, us wasting our time here or you reading what we've said?

Yes, I can Find Chiraben. I'm a little too familiar with him. Probably the closest thing that asshole's ever had to a girlfriend. Needless to say, once I know someones quantum signature, I can find just about anyone given a little time, including him.

-Apep

Apep --

You dated him?

If you can deliver him alive and sedate, you can name your price.

Otherwise, don't lecture me on pleasantries. I've got more important matters to attend to.

Jager --

Good to hear from you again. You've finally offered me a little bit of information I didn't have before, and for that I not only thank you, but owe you a great deal. I won't go into the details of what I did and did not know, but suffice it to say that I've got more grizzly work ahead of me.

I know you haven't known me for but a month or so, but to be honest, I need to know who did it and why because I have a personal, vested interest in the life and untimely demise of Ms. Landers. If anyone takes away the right to her murderer that is most assuredly mine, they will have me to deal with. This is not a threat, it is a request. That man's life is mine a thousand times over. To fail to fulfill my namesake would be most disastrous.

--Avenger

------------------

avengingcrusader@hotmail.com

Apep --

After careful consideration, I choose to apologize for my past coarseness. I cannot and will not be sorry for my current state of mental and physical exasperation, but you are correct, it brooks no reason to be curt, especially not to a lady. So I apologize. She would have wanted it that way.

--Avenger

------------------

It seems that those glitches, unavoidable in even this advanced forum has decided to bump my query to you. I shall repeat my general message here.

Avenger- I am curious as to your quest and feel the need to ask you to expand on some of your previous comments. What I gather is that you are researching the murder of Jennifer Landers. I also take it you are fairly sure of the perpetrator of this crime. However, because of your personal beliefs and the punishment you consider mandatory for his crime you refuse to act on this belief until you are presented with irrefutable proof. Am I correct so far?

Now, my question is this, what evidence would consider irrefutable? Given modern technology and of course the wide variety of Nova abilities out there nearly any type of evidence you could name can easily be faked. Photographs, eye witnesses, genetic samples, gods man, a confession could simply be the result of implanted memories from a talented telepath.

I actually have some experience with faulty evidence. A companion of mine, at the time a fellow trainee at Utopia took it upon herself to investigate the crime scene (yes Jager you are correct, she was in the location scant hours after the crime). You see, her particular gifts allow her to peer into the past. Upon doing so she swears she saw Corbin herself commit the deed. Now, as you have already stated you know for a fact that this is an impossibility. But I simply state this as an effort to illustrate my point about falsified evidence.

Now, I do not say this to discourage you. During my time in Utopia I never had the oportunity to become friends with Ms. Landers so I do not have the genuine affection that you seem to have had for her. I can claim no unique or special bit of knowledge that will bring you closer to your goal. However, should I come across anything of import in the future I would feel honorbound to deliver it to you. I just want to be sure what exactly you are looking for.

I do not wish you luck, in this case a burning drive and desire for vengence seems more appopriate and you seem well stocked on those.

Good questions.

Let me put this simply; I understand very well that any form of evidence can be faked. In my search, I hope to find enough evidence that leads me to the same resolution to justify sentence. In that course, I am also investigating every thread I conceivably can so as to exhaust every possibility and carry every suspect as far along as I can. Even a confession can be faked, as you pointed out. But if I don't feel just in doing what I do, I won't do it. All I really need is so much evidence that any other suspect seems out of the question. I need a pile of evidence heavy enough to support the burden of proof.

And thank you for not wishing me luck. It is a trite and overused epithet, and one that is shockingly inappropriate for the situation.

--Avenger

------------------

My previous post seems to have fallen victim to the same bug that claimed those of Prodigy and Apep.

I will therefore start again.

I do not wish to seem pedantic or patronising, but not all forms of evidence can be counterfeited, although all evidence can be ambiguous.

Avenger, you state that you wish to know who killed Jennifer Landers, and why.

You feel certain that Chiraben did it.

He is certainly capable of the deed, if what I have seen of him - and suffered at his hands - is any indication.

The question remains, however, why ?

Corbin did not kill Slider.

There is evidence - both physical and through numerous witnesses - that Andre Corbin was elsewhere at the time. One of those witnesses is an acquaintance of mine, and I trust his judgement in this.

Therefore, Project Utopia are taking a risk in fingering Corbin as the killer. It is a minor risk, given the PR resources that Project Utopia can bring to bear, but it is nonetheless a risk.

Why take such a risk ?

Why not hunt the real killer ?

Indicating that Corbin is the murderer could serve a number of purposes.

The primary effect of Project Utopia's accusation of Corbin is to deprive him of credibility, and of open allies.

He cannot appear in public without risking arrest, and many of those he could otherwise trust are now his enemies - especially those who were once friends of both himself and Landers.

The tenor of PU press releases on the matter has been somewhat frantic, as have inter-corporate memoranda.

I do not have access to PU's more secure documents or reports, but when a letter from the head of PR and Marketing to the T2M comic authors explains that Corbin is to be portrayed as "a murderous psychopath who murdered Jennifer Landers", prior to any trial or court case, one begins to wonder. This portrayal is counter to PU's own espousal of the rights of the accused, and very dubious in a legal sense - especially should Corbin be found innocent and charge Project Utopia with libel.

My second question is perhaps even more apposite.

Why not hunt the real killer ?

At the moment, the sole suspect being hunted by PU is Andre Corbin.

The entire PU investigation serves to justify the manhunt for Andre Corbin, regardless of evidence, and does not search for anyone else at all.

Since this is the case, we must conclude that either PU is populated by very stupid, very vindictive idiots - which, while possible, is unlikely - or that they do not have any real desire to investigate the murder.

If that is the case, then there must be some connection between Landers' death and Project Utopia. Perhaps she had acted, or intended to act, in a way which would compromise the project. If so, it is also necessary, to explain Utopia's inactivity, that investigating her murder would also compromise the project.

From this I conclude that an investigation of Jennifer Landers' death would inevitably reveal evidence of wrongdoing, or connection to wrongdoing, on the part of Project Utopia.

Additionally, this wrongdoing must be considerable. Project Utopia are prepared to permit the death of one of their most valuable assets to go uninvestigated or unpunished in order to conceal it.

The second possible conclusion, partially derived from this first, is even less pleasant.

Jennifer Landers was a valuable asset to Project Utopia. If her death is not being properly investigated, it indicates that:

(a) As previously stated, investigating Landers' death would compromise the Project.

(B) Landers' value as an asset to PU is less than the embarassment or difficulty which would be caused by a thorough investigation of her death and activities.

The second point above is worthy of note.

Hypothetically, let us assume that point (B) is correct. An investigation of Landers' death would compromise PU to such a degree that the cost of the damage to the Project would exceed the loss incurred through the death of such a valuable asset.

But if the cost of the damage to the Project of an investigation into Landers' death exceeds her value of an asset...is it not also possible to say that her continued existence represents a continued risk of exposure whose cost exceeds her value as an asset ?

The primary result of accusing Corbin of the murder is to deprive him of mobility and credibility. The lack of credibility seems to me to be the primary motivation. Corbin is to be portrayed as untrustworthy and dangerously insane. Who would listen to someone like that ?

As a result, all of the members of this drama are silenced.

The investigation is silent, because there is no real investigation. Jennifer Landers is silent, because she is dead. And Andre Corbin is silenced, because no one who counts will believe a word he says.

I seem to have lost half a post. Interesting. Nevertheless I will continue. I find the Slider mystery to be intriging and would make so bold as to offer my services as an interrogator to Avenger if he so wishes.

Just bring the suspect in and I will suck the information right out of them. Don't worry, no harm will come to them, I drain the intellgence and memory of those I touch but the effects are fleeting so they will be fit to stand trial if you are into that kind of thing.

I might have something, another group from the organisation im in came to me asking for some nano-tech devices to spy on some general or what ever one of their clair's said he would be profitable to watch, so i gave them some nano-tech spy devices. Overheard some of what they got from the devices when i went over to upgrade their ai system for their boss, a cuty she is and has brains to boot, with some new nano enhancers, speeds are the central matrix unit by 10%, and increases the memory ratio by 3%.

Anyway to get back to the point i saw some footage, and overhead what they where saying, the gist is the general was sopposed to recieve some information from slider, but he didnt get it direct, she died, he ended up getting it through another source i think one of the teragan possibly, i think it was their member who is on the vid tube alot. Basicly he eventualy recieved some documents and a cd, that has dirt on utopia, what i heard on the footage was him calling the utopians slimey bastards roten to the core saying twice "i knew it". And another thing i heard was "proteus, just how are we gonna deal with them".

make of it what you will back to the grindstone, got a small intake of chimps, time for some up-lifting.

------------------

call me a kitty cat will you, grrrrrrrrr see my claws, and watch them rip your heart out human.

Jezus H Christ....Avenger, I owe you an apology, a big one. I though you were one of those loudmouth assholes that sometimes blow through here, so I mocked you and belittled your cause. After you explained a little about your motives, I figured I'd treat this with a little more respect. Try to give you something real, you know, to help.

People here are saying you gotta ask why, saying that its more important to get those that gave the orders. Thats BULLSHIT! Yeah, get the prick who gave this bastard the authority to, to.........Ah Christ...This fuckers gotta pay!

I did something last night. I don't like doing it and I've only done it once before. I can experience the past, but only through the senses of someone who was at the event. I did this with Jenny. Now I wish I hadn't. I saw what she saw, I know waht she felt and what she was thinking. I saw the monster who did this!

He's a shapeshifter, he got access to her by making himself look like Corbin. Thing is he's got these eyes, he can't hide his eyes. They're this hideous green color and they bulge out, kind of like insect eyes. I hope that gives you some of what you need. There's more I can tell you but it'll have to wait for now; I need some time to get myself together.

Thing I can't figure out, can't understand, is how Utopia can justify letting this guy walk around free. How they can justify letting this guy loose on their enemies let alone on one of their own! Fuck, if you know who this guy is 'venger, you make him pay. Long, slow and agonizing.

Interesting. I seem to remember Mal has green eyes. Or was it this Chriben or whatever his name is?

Funnily enough I knew a shapeshifter called Proteus once...poor fellow turned himself inside out by accident and got vapourised in a firefight. I doubt very much if he had anything to do with it.

The only thing that pleases you Ryan, is that choir boy you have with his hands stuck down your sutan you demented fuck! Here's my question: who gives a flying fuck if some asswipe, shit for brains, bimbo gets her final bitchslap?

There's a whole lot more people getting whacked out there every day (I should know I kill most of 'em!! Heh, heh, heh.) Who gives a fuck about them? NOBODY thats who. Do I see you investigating the death of some Wisconsin schoolteacher that got her head beaten in by a dope fiend? NO! And you wanna know why?

Because you're fucking scared! Some shit-for-brains nancy boy blows up a bus load of nuns and do you give a shit? NO! But some git puts his quantum pecker in Sliders ear and you're up in arms!

Newsflash boys and girls! The baseline offal want to kill us all. So do unto others until they can't do back. We have to slaughter every one of the baseline flith like you would an infected herd of animals. They are like an infected wound, you have to cut out the flesh before you can continue.

Join me as we pruify the plauge of baselines from the planet. Ah, all this shit is making me thirsty, I could murder a good beer...better still I'll murder for a good beer...fuckers at the liquer store wont know what him them.

Oh yeah and will anyone who thinks baselines are "OK" please mail me their address. I want to send you a "present" for being so forthright. Fucking puke eating, mould ridden bassie lovers...

I've got an update for you to read. I only post it here so as to ease some of you who have offered me councel and information and thus far asked nothing in return. I am in your debt, and at the very least, I owe you knowledge of the fruits of your labors. But first, to each your own:

Jager --

I can't thank you enough for your tip about the body. It was grizzly work, but thanks to a friend of mine I was able to remove the corpse from the casket without even digging it up. By the time anybody had caught on, the body was back. And you were right about the deterus buildup. 100% right. With your tip in mind, I also had the notion to check the corneal burn, an oft-heard of technique that allows one to get a vision of the last thing the person saw in life. The corpse had no burn. Presumably because as you said, it never was alive. I'm in your debt for this information.

Stheno --

I know Corbin didn't kill Jenny because I know Corbin, and Corbin knows me. And he knows that if he ever did anything to hurt her, he wouldn't live long enough to regret it. I know that might not seem logical enough. It might not seem like enough proof. But it's enough for me.

As for the Projects' involvement in the case...bet on it.

Adept --

I certainly won't let you down with that long and agonizing part. I thank you for your informa

Thats it! I have it. The jury is in ladies and gentlemen. Slider commited suicide! Anyone dumb enough to fuck with Utopia without the backing of the Terragen or some other big hitters is going to do the same.

The best you can do for Slider is kill a dozen baselines and hold a barbecue in her honor with the PUs leadership as the main course.

What are you gonna do when you find the killer huh? Expose it to the world? Good luck. Better off spending your time mutilating Lawyers...you'll do more for the world that way.

-Avenger

I'll keep my eye out for him. He's a slippery little fuck and I'm not in a very good situation right now, but I'll begin the search. I don't want your money. Maybe after he's delivered, we could colaborate our efforts in picking apart his employer, that would be sufficient payment.

-Hazzard

I missed you. No one can piss the world off quite like you.

--Apep

Damnable errors. Seems the admin here is no Mungu Kuwasha. I'll try this again.

Adept --

I apologize for my berating you earlier. It seems we both misjudged each other. Again, thanks for the information.

Hazzard --

You're an idiot. What I do to whom and how is nobody's business but my own. If you want to act like a fool and prove yourself unworthy of even baseline intelligence, do it somewhere else. I'm tired of reading your shit.

Apep --

For whatever reason, you want Chiraben's employers to pay, too. That's good enough for me.

Since my last business was so painfully torn away, I'll repeat. With additional information, no less.

After checking the body again, I found that Jager's advice was, to the best of mine and my associates reasoning, correct. This then begs the question; why? Why bother creating a dummy corpse and putting it in the grave? What's to hide? Who benefits? At my best guess, her murderers wanted to hide what I had mentioned before; the corneal burn. My guess is that Slider got a good look at who killed her before she faded out. That'd be damning evidence. Perhaps it was too much evidence even for them. If they've got any brains, Jen's body has been incinerated and her node lobotomized for Soma.

My reserach network lead me to Chiraben in St. Petersburg. I brought along Fetch to track him down -- sniffed the bastard out from Moscow. I follwed him for a couple of days with no break. The guy never sleeps. So I had to take him down in public. Fetch stayed behind -- he's no good at combat -- and I went on ahead. The battle that ensued was nothing grandiose. He took a chunk out of me, I took a chunk out of him. It'll be a few more days yet before I'm healed up. Got him worse than he got me. He told me that he wasn't the enemy. Right. Told me that he was just the hatchet-man. That if I wanted justice, I'd have to go "higher up the chain of command". Did I let him go? Absolutely not. But theres now little doubt in my mind as to who did the actual murder.

I got his jacket, too. No big deal, but Fetch can find him if I get on the same continent now. Maybe you read about it in the papers. "Terrorist Terats Rampage Through St. Petersburg", I think the headline read. Because we didn't kill each other we must have been working together, I guess the logic was. We destroyed some upper-class housing in the conflagration, but I don't feel too bad about busting up the homes of mobsters and politicians. Chiraben escaped somehow. I'm still not sure how he managed. Fetch lost the scent after he ran into a crowd -- I can only guess that Chiraben either teleports or has a good friend who can.

So the word is out. Theres only one course of action left to me. And that is to declare war on them.

All of them.

--Avenger

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited 08-23-2001).]

Chiraben contracted a Warper named Santino. Three guesses who Santino works for. Now what would a nice little (and I mean "little") Italian-American boy be doing in Russia, anyway?

Even more interesting is the fact that he wasn't paid in cash, but technical information that the Syndicate has been hunting down for months.

Next question: How did a second-rate thug like Chiraben get Utopia black-listed specs?

Last, but not least: Who just layed out a shitload for Epoch's services?

Avenger, be careful whose doors you go busting down. The heat is rising.

Jager --

You're a godsend. That information was right on target. I'm not even sure I want to know where you get your information, man, but thank you nonetheless. I keep thinking that at the end of all this I'm going to find out you work for the Project and have been orchestrating my destruction all along like something out of a bad novel, but for now, I trust you.

I've never heard of a nova named Santino, but I'll start tapping my resources. You implied that he's not a Project monkey. Any leads on who signs his checks, or is he solitary?

I'm willing to bet that Chiraben gets his information from someone in the company. It doesn't seem logical that he'd be getting paid with black-ops info, so he must have a man on the inside. The question is, who? As I've come to understand, this 'Proteus' screens their applicants better than the SAS and keeps them on an even shorter leash. How could he or his contact get the information without someone knowing about it?

As for Epoch. If you're implying that Epoch might be coming after me, thanks for the warning, but I'm not afraid of Epoch. I was a Terat when he was being wheeled to his latest Owners of Seeing-Eye Animals club meeting. Chances are he took the money and ran. If he came gunning for me, he made a big fucking mistake. I've got more allies here than he ever will.

--Avenger

------------------

Jager and Avenger- This is a little strange but I seem to have come across two small bits of data that have something to do with your concerns.

1. Santino was supplied some tech from a small advanced biotech firm called Culfex Bioware. Culfex is a small, under the radar of the big boys, company who just went public about six months ago (a good investment by the by) I have some 'eyes and ears' over there. Want to know something interesting? Sixty seven percent of Culfex stock is owned by Barron's Securities Limited, a fairly prestigious NY firm, not unusual considering its value as an investment. Barron's senior partner, William Barron III is also on the board of directors at Triton. Do you happen to know anything about Triton? I suspect you do. Not a smoking gun, but a connection with unpleasant suggestions.

2. More money was transfered to DeVrye's than would normally be required for Epoch's services. You see, it was paid in cash to DeVryes bank in Zurich. I follow transfer of hard currency simply as a matter of course and this bank had to deal with a sudden influx. Only the DeVrye customer (whose identity I am not privy too) entered the premises within the necessary timeline. An unscheduled pickup was required to handle the deposit. That's a lot of money Avenger, more than enough to sick several, not just one, highly skilled elites at you.

Information, it's wonderful what it can do for you if you can just process enough of it.

I don't know what to say. Why are you all helping me? I guess that's what I'm wondering. We have no arrangement, and though I'll do my best to honor my word, few people would be so forthwith. Don't think I don't appreciate it, honestly, but everyone seems so eager to see this matter resolved. And not just to have it resolved, but to have me resolve it. If I sound cynical, I guess it's because I am. One must be curious what you'll all want in return.

Nonetheless, Prodigy, you've certainly roused my interest and concern. I'll look into this Triton member who owns the Culfex stock. Triton equals PU equals Proteus, and I wouldn't put it past the higher-ups to pay out of their withholdings free of charge for favors for their hit men.

And thank you for the warning, as it were. Epoch and I are far from buddies, but I bet I could ask Geryon to find out from him who else exactly might be on the ticket. I can handle myself, but against a four novas who all kick ass for a living...? Looks like I'll have to watch my back. Thanks for the heads-up.

--Avenger

------------------

You just hit a nail, Avenger.

Why indeed would people be so fortwith with highly classified, not to say black-listed, information in a way that is sure to get them investigated by every organization with common sense and an OpNet connection?

I´m sure I won´t have to tell you this, but sometimes the owls are just not what they seem.

Of course, the thing about having a brain that can compute advanced calcylus in a matter of tenths-of-a-second is that it gets pretty lonely on the top; what´s the point in making observations that no one´ll ever get to hear of? This is something that I, myself, can relate to.

I do not know you as a person, Avenger, and given your Terat sympathies I´m not sure that we would appreciate each others´ company. Still, I wish you good luck in this. Watch your back.

Though I´m sure that this is rather uneccesary (so forgive me if I´m being rude), I strongly advice you to investigate matters yourself. Try to think three steps ahead of what everyone tells you - especially people on the OpNet. You wouldn´t believe some of the , for lack of a better word, shit I´ve managed to uncover.

For this very reason, I abstain from handing out any information myself - not that I have too much that you´d benefit from. I´ve made some connections based upon information on this board; some of it rings true, other sources...well. You´ll work it out; you´ve got the brains for it, I´m sure.

Oh, and give them Hell.

------------------

"It always begins in the same way: The first pawn moves. The first shot is fired (usually at the first pawn)."

Argent --

The worst vice is advice, as they say, but I thank you for yours anyway. I like to think that thus far people have shared their rather classified and dangerous information with me thanks to baseless altruism and a desire to see justice done, but I'm pragmatic enough to know that most, if not all of them are merely advancing a personal agenda. I'm comfortable with this. I can take care of myself. I'm not dumb enough to think I'm invulnerable, but I'm smart and tough and can be on the other side of the world in less than a minute. Still can't wrap my mind around calculus I'm afraid, but I score well off all modern IQ charts.

I wouldn't bother telling you or anyone that I'm smart -- how smart doesn't really matter -- except for the fact that you seem to think that being a member of the Teragen precludes idiocy, lunacy, ignorance and violence.

This goes for everyone here. Make no mistake; I do not have Teragen sympathies. I AM A TERAT. I have been since the the Null Manifesto was issued and I knew there was a Teragen to join. I have been a loyal and stalwart member of the middle and upper eschelons of our group for years. I have a permanent room at Villa Orzaiz and once had the honor and privelage of discussing philosophy with Divis Mal himself. When I speak of my contacts, my allies, my connections, I speak of the Teragen.

So why do I care who killed Jennifer Landers? That's none of your business. Maybe I'll feel like telling someday.

The point in this, Argent, is that not every member of the Teragen is a building-tossing sociopath with a chip on his shoulder. We are not all murderous psycopaths who slaughters "innocent" people wholesale. I imagine I know members of our group who are a great deal more brilliant and wise than you or I will ever be. My point, then, is that though our organization boasts a large number of misanthropes who like to cause trouble, this is far from the norm. Terats who fund space exploration and cancer research don't get a lot of press. I imagine that perhaps the reason you have a negative view of our group is because you have no idea what we represent, and I am furthermore confident that I can personally help any nova find a middle ground between the Teragen philosophy and the philosophy of each individual nova.

And incidentally, have no fear. I will do more than give them hell. I will bring them hell and force it into every orifice in their bodies, then tear new ones to shove some more hell into.

--Avenger

------------------

Why am I helping Avenger? Good question with two answers. First, Avenger might remember me as a guy who went by the name of Jason LaSanbe. I hung around Carolyn Fong several years back and left the Teragen when she was 'captured' by the Project. I know Avenger from back then. I didn't say or do much at the time (not my style), so he might not remember the 'Aryan Poster Child', as Mark use to call me. I have reason to believe that if I help Avenger out on this today, he will help me if I should need it in the future. That is the foundation of my information network and how I get my leads to help Avenger. I help folks who help me. Nothing too sinister there, I'm afraid.

Also, this is something that needs doing. A good enough reason in my book.

While I have done some work for the Project before and may again, I couldn't stand myself if I was on their payroll. I like being contract help and allows me to keep my freedom. It's a personal thing and I get to say "No" if I feel like it.

Avenger,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I had to see a man about a clone.

To answer your question on why I help you, well, it's not really about you anymore. At least, not for me. I used my power to experience Jenny's murder so I could help you as a form of apology. Jenny was quite possibly the most positive, genuine and sincere person I have ever encountered. She could have changed the world, made it a better place for my son to grow up in. All that is gone now, taken away by ugly, evil people who care only about their own power.

To punish the killer and those responsible won't bring Jenny back, but to do nothing would be the worst kind of dishonor and betryal to her memory I can think of. So by helping you, I honor her sacrifice.

I'll take your word about Corben, I've never met him and if you resemble him I could have easily made that mistake. I don't know how much of this will help your cause, but maybe it will ease your mind.

Before her killer showed up, Jen was writing a list of people she felt she could trust. It was a short list and you moniker wasn't that far from the top of the list. Her thoughts of you are only positive and quite strong. If I had to guess, I'd say you are either related, or you were extremely close. There is no way she would believe that you could harm her or betray her.

She had some other papers and a mem cube or two on the table as well. My impression is that she was compiling proof about some wrong doing in Utopia. When the knock on her door came, she packed all of the documents and stuff into a drab green lockbox and hid it before answering the door. She let her killer in, thinking it was someone she could trust. The killer is arrogant, and revealed himself to her, he changed shape, taking on several appearances before settling on his own, natural, form. Don't worry about her thoughts and feelings about you at the time of her death, she knows who killed her.

Here is another thought though. Every person on that list had some knowledge about her doubts and concerns with regards to Utopia. How exactly did Utopia find out about her investigation? I believe someone on that list betrayed her. This is a very deep issue Avenger. It goes beyond the killer, beyond even Utopia. Think about this. If, as Jager says, Utopia is covering up for the true killer then that killer must have had sanction to kill her. Even if it is some clandestine part of Utopia, it is unlikely that Director L didn't know about it. Also remember that Utopia is not truly a distinct organization, it is still attached to the mysterious Aeon Society. If Jenny's death was sanctioned, than the sanction had to come, ultimately, from the highest authority involved. If it didn't, the cover-up wouldn't be so tight, so complete.

Just something to think about.

Avenger, to be honest, I'm not helping you. I am delivering data to an indivual who will very likely make life unpleasant for a group I despise. It's enlightened self-interest, that is all. Let's be up front, your less than charming demeanor gives me little hope that we will be holding hands and whispering sweet nothings into each others ears at any time in the future, but I see no harm in giving you something that has cost me nothing.

I gather data. Lots of it. Ask Jager, he is one of the few to have seen my residence. I like to know what is going on in the world. It tells me things, much more than most would understand. I have friends, contacts, and well more than my fair share of invasive electronic surveilence devices. Sometimes I get data that is of value to others. I am willing to use that.

Also, your allegiences are another reason. I don't know if I AM A TERAT. I haven't received my membership card yet I guess. I have dined with the Count and find him to be a more than agreable conversationalist. I have never had the honor of being introduced to Divas Mal, but we do have some shared aquaintences. The fact is, I've probably helped a good number of your friends. One of my major sources of income is trouble shooting tactical projects for some of the slightly aggressive members of the Teragen. I look over security layouts and the like and give advice. So, does that make me a Terat? Maybe. All I do know is that I am a Nova and I don't like it when certain organizations mess with my people.

Jager --

I would've known. I remember you, Jace. I don't remember Mark, whoever he is, but Alex and I used to joke about Jason LeSanbe being Totentanz's Clark Kent identity. "Hitlerian Wet Dream", we called you. Hope you don't take it personally. It was all in fun. I never really knew you, but I never had anything against you. You seemed like background at the time, but then again, I can't imagine that I seemed much more to you. Most of my dealings went on behind-the-scens. I'm sure your endeavors were much the same.

But that answers why you trust me so with this information and that I'll repay you. I'm sure my reputation preceeds itself. You probably remember that I don't squelch.

Adept --

That she was. That she was. I thank you. Profoundly. It's...good to know that she knew it wasn't me. Though your advice has fallen a little short as I already have much of it, you have been able to offer me peace of mind, and that is something I may value much more when this is all over. Thank you.

Prodigy --

You might think different of my charm if you met me. But that's neither here nor there. You're right. I'll make life hell for the Project, inasmuch as I can. If organizational ties and serving your own self-interest is your reason for helping me, I'm comfortable with that. Doesn't quite give me the warm, fuzzy feeling that Jager does. But hey, I don't mind being used as someone elses chess-piece, as long as I know about it beforehand.

--Avenger

------------------

Well, I'm still looking. It's pretty fucking hard to find someone when there are people trying to find you. None the less I'm still pretty confident. Unless the little prick has gotten so damn good that he's learned how to shapechange the core of his essence itself. If that's the case, it will just take a little longer.

Avenger, we both walked in heady company in those days. Strange as it sounds, Totentanz and I do look something alike, but I'm better looking. Also, he smokes.

Apep, Avenger might be beating the bushes so much he just might come looking for an old friend for comfort. Stay visible and he might end up on your doorstep.

why i put in my two cents worth, becuase i had it thought it might be important so passed it along to someone that might do something with it, dont think i got into any trouble with section 4, informed them i told you, they have decided to sit back and watch what happens, see who does what to whom.

Had a visitor to lab 5, last night looked like Mal from the terats, poped in setting of alarms, looked at me as i was checking over a chimp i had just up-lifted and was helping it find its orientation and voice. Looked at me and the neo-chimp around the lab at the equipement and the habitation chambers for those that await processing or just gone through it. He just looked around and said how does this make you better then what you are know, how does this help you evolve. I just told him i am evolving but at my own speed, and that i am doing what i feel is right and necesary. he looked at me another 5 seconds or so looking deep into my mind and soul, cocked his head smiled and popped away, gaurds came rushing in particle rifles at the ready.

Should have guessed that something like this would eventually happen as i have heard that mal and the nova benafactors had a conection in the past, knew each other. Since he didnt vap my neo-chimps how should i take this?????

------------------

call me a kitty cat will you, grrrrrrrrr see my claws, and watch them rip your heart out human.