Favorite non Aeon RPG

Ayre el KaBeer

I'm currious as to what your favorite non-Aeon RPG's are, I'm pretty sure there are similar posts around but we might aswell start from scratch. Ok so here are most of mine (I have alot of favorites!):

-Vampire the Masquerade; all of them (especially dark ages) except for LARP and Victorian Age (simply because haven't played or read either).

-Werewolf the Apocalypse; again except for LARP.

-Legend of the 5 Rings; both 1st and 2nd editions, I have no taste for the d20 version.

-All Flesh Must Be Eaten; a new one for me to add, haven't played it yet but the book is a fantastic read, with a pretty good system.

-Mage the Sorceres Crusade; another new (actually its pretty old, 1998) one for me, its one hell of a good book.

-Exalted; just because of the freedom the game gives, that and I'm a bit of a power gammer and the Solars are all power.

-Demon Hunter X; I've been recomending this one to people for years and won't stop doing so, simply put it's excellent!

I've been a Storyteller on an Open World of Darkness Online Game. (any WoD game could be played there) So I've played a bit of each. If you had to screw me down to my favorites, it'd be these...

1. Vampire - I've played them all, didn't care for the Minds Eye Theater stuff...

2. Exalted - Just the freedom in the system, however it would be nice if I could find someone to play with :(

3. Sorceror - Yea, it's a WoD book on less than mage, more than human type of magician. I found the rules much more friendly than Mage.

4. Mage the Acension - Once you get over the widely adaptable powers, it's a great game.

I'd play something other than White Wolf but I have the lack of intrested friends flaw. *sigh*

Alrighty then, I'll put in my two cents.

In no particular order:

1. Ars Magica. To me, still the best sword and sorcery RPG around.

2. D&D 3rd edition. Lots of fun to play, if you're in the right group ::smile

3. Call of Cthulhu. Only played it a few times, but I love to read the books.

4. GURPS. A great game that seems to be played very badly ::confused Great sourcebooks which are fun to collect (I have a few rare out-of-prints, like GURPS The Prisoner).

5. Mage. My favorite WoD game, at least among the ones I've played (just the Big Three).

6. Castle Falkenstein. Fun setting, interesting rules, and very cool faeries, especially pixies!

7. Legend of the Five Rings. Only played it a few times, but plan to play it regularly at cons. Great setting and social structure.

Now games that I'd like to play!

1. Continuum. Only played it once at GenCon, but I'd love to run a game some day. The best time travel rules ever!

2. Changeling. The red-headed stepchild of WoD (or so it seems). I want to play a redcap so bad! "Are you gonna eat that chair?"

3. 7th Sea. Another in the 'played it once' catagory, seemed like a lot of fun.

4. Deadlands. If only so I can use my 'old prospector' accent for long periods of time.

LOL ::laugh I wanna play a Pooka, an Unseelie Troll, or an Eshu who follows a Pooka around.

dont forget the best one! I wanna be an Unselee Satyr with a large pool of people to pay my way through life ::biggrin

Nothing better then Stm 6 for thoes loooong loooong nights ::wink ::devilangel

Gosh..I just thought I'd randomly post here, even though this is probably a long dead thread...

1. Always Loved Mage...nothing quite like a freeform magic system with these uberpowerful mage types who ACTUALLY can be killed by a bullet. I love it. ::devilangel

2. Shadowrun - call me a sap for classic Cyberpunkish stuff... ::ninja

3. Werewolf - can't beat being a big-bad-@$$ werewolf...or that scrawny one over there who just scares the bejeezus outta the sleepers. ::blush

4. Twilight 2000 - fun fun fun ::cheesy

5. AD&D 2nd ed, never been a fan of 3rd, besides I am kinda partial to spelljammer and/or Greyhawk and/or DLance

6. Goth the Corruption - hehehehe, look it up, you Just might like it [Goth the Corruption] ::woe is me, my life is a pit of darkness...unless i'm a perky goth:: ::blink

7. Finally, for that power-twink in me, Rifts [don't ask, the GM had no clue and well we all needed to get it outta our system] ::devilangel ::devilangel ::devilangel

Howdy, Maelfius! ::smiley5 Welcome to the forum, and feel free to post willy-nilly all over the place.

You and Asbjørn are right: Twilight 2000 is very cool. I picked it up at GenCon this year for $50, Revised edition in near mint condition. I'm using it as a resource for my new Aberrant War campaign, and it kicks major butt!

• 5 months later...

Hi. My favorites are

Vampire the dark ages.

Earthdawn

Aberrant is my favorite

palladium fantasy revised edition (the others suck)

and AD&D 1st. edition, maybe the second surely not the third.

(I hate the d20 sys, no further comment nor discussion please)

Ruf des Warlock (a german game as you might guess :) )

Robotech from Palladium

no shadowrun anymore,

Arcane codex (great fantasy game)

Call of Cthulhu (sometimes in beetween, as it is ruined if you play it to often)

Warhammer 40 k tabletop

Rex Humanitas (a game of my own design)

these are the ones i´ve been playing or STíng Recently (within the last 6 months)

Yeah Well I forgot one: Star Wars d6. It rulz :)

Can I also just add that the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG from Eden Studios is very cool? I've seen some reviewers say it's what Hunter should have been, but having not played Hunter, I've no basis of comparison. Very cool character generation, interesting magic system, and they have Drama points, which are much like Inspiration points (spend 'em to get out of a jam in cool ways).

no ::wink

How 'bout peoples most despised systems? Personnally its the Middle Earth system (rolemaster?) Waaaaaaay too many tables.

Btw, is it me or no one named Star Wars? Kinda surprising, I thought it'd be amongst people's favorites. I haven't played often but I know I like it...

Heritage, is the Hunter you're talking about Hunter - The Reckoning? That's the biggest disappointment I've ever had with an rpg. I thought it'd be a revamped (pun unintentionnally intended) version of Hunters Hunted. The fact that they added nifty powers and schizophrenic voices made me give away the book in anger.

no ::wink

Smart@ss ::tongue

Heritage, is the Hunter you're talking about Hunter - The Reckoning?

Yup. Like I said, never played it, but some reviewers made the comparison, and said the Buffy RPG was better. Its's gotten some of the best overall reviews I've ever seen for an RPG, from both fans of the show and newbies. Here's a decent (and very thorough) review, including playtest notes. And here's a link to the official BtVS RPG page.

The game is very flexible - you can play in just about any setting (the Slayer's Handbook has sample write-ups for Western and post-Apocalyptic games) and you can even chuck the whole concept of 'the Slayer' outright. Lots of people run games using only White Hats (non-superpowered folks), or throw in robots, werewolves or half-demons to spice things up. Granted, it's not Call of Cthulhu, but it's not trying to be.

As far as most hated games, I'm not a huge fan of either Hackmaster or Chivalry & Sorcery, mainly because everything is determined randomly, and there are also super-complicated rules for everything::wacko C&S was trying to be the ultimate fantasy game in the early days of D&D, so maybe it can be forgiven, but Hackmaster is a modern day creation that reads like a parody you're not actually supposed to play.

And I agree with you 100% about Rolemaster ::nervous

Yup. Like I said, never played it, but some reviewers made the comparison, and said the Buffy RPG was better. Its's gotten some of the best overall reviews I've ever seen for an RPG, from both fans of the show and newbies. Here's a decent (and very thorough) review, including playtest notes. And here's a link to the official BtVS RPG page.

The game is very flexible - you can play in just about any setting (the Slayer's Handbook has sample write-ups for Western and post-Apocalyptic games) and you can even chuck the whole concept of 'the Slayer' outright. Lots of people run games using only White Hats (non-superpowered folks), or throw in robots, werewolves or half-demons to spice things up. Granted, it's not Call of Cthulhu, but it's not trying to be.

Well, the system looks cool. I'm not a fan of the series though (my only knowledge is based on a few episodes of Angel I've seen) Based on the review I'd be better off with Witchcraft...I think...

Edit: I found this review of Hunter - The Reckoning which pretty much says exactly what I think of the game. Hunters should've been more "normal" less "Get a load at THIS power I can use"

Well, the system looks cool. I'm not a fan of the series though (my only knowledge is based on a few episodes of Angel I've seen) Based on the review I'd be better off with Witchcraft...I think...

Understandable - btw, you can download the Witchcraft corebook for free here. I haven't taken a look at it yet, but it sounds interesting.

I'll have to track down a copy of Hunters Hunted - sounds cool.

Thanks for the BtVS link, Heritage, I know a bunch of fans of the show - maybe I'll pick it up and see if I can scare up any interest.

It's definitely fun, and not just a throwawy novelty item. Happy to have helped.

Good luck...

It was a sourcebook for V-TM first edition.

Hum. Maybe I'll find it used at GenCon Indy - I've had lots of luck finding out-of-print stuff there.

On second thought, maybe I'll just get Adventure, switch a few game systems and setting details around, and tell them it's Buffy. 

Adventure would work well - of course, you won't have such little Buffyverse details as the 'Tragic Love' flaw. Hmm, I wonder if any Slayers have ever had that ::wink

There was also discussion at the WW forum among Alias fans over how well that show would translate to Adventure - Syndey Bristow is a classic Daredevil, Marshall's a gadgeteer, etc. And SD-6, the Alliance, the Covenant, the collection of all the Rimbaldi artifacts - all very pulp, despite the modern setting ::smokin

And every episode of Season 1 ends with a cliffhanger - Sydney plummets down the darkened mineshaft, cut to credits ::thumbsup

Thx for that link...I have wanted that witchcraft book for a while but it was always so expensive

No problemo - it was posted in one of the Buffy reviews at RPGnet, since there are rules in the Magic Box supplement for converting between the two systems.

that link isn´t working.

Hmm - it was working earlier. I got if from a review at RPG.net. Here's the address: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9877.phtml It's included in the 'Appendix' section of the review under 'free download'.

As far as your XP question - I dunno. For reasons far too boring to explain, I currently only have the Monster Smackdown book, so I can't look it up. However, here's the address of the official BtVS RPG website, where they have a FAQ, various errata pages, and a very lively forum: http://www.btvsrpg.com/main.htm

Hope that helps!

Note: Those aren't links, I just put 'em in blue font to stand out better. Just copy and paste!

Adventure would work well - of course, you won't have such little Buffyverse details as the 'Tragic Love' flaw. Hmm, I wonder if any Slayers have ever had that

::laugh Yeah, I like the show, but frankly the name "Drama points" couldn't be more apt..

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna pop in late:

1.) Transhuman Space (and to a lesser extent other GURPS games, like Gurps Voodoo)

2.) Shadowrun

3.) WoD (especially Vampire and Mage)

Dislikes:

1.) Mechwarrior (Battletechs RPG)- I just never liked it.

2.) Engel- THEY KILLED EVERYONE IN AFRICA?!!

3.) Cyberpunk 2020- Seemed rather... bland, too generic of a setting. It had more potential if the setting wasn't so childish.

• 1 month later...

Can I be even later? I need to wipe memories of a psychology exam...

I'm pretty much a WoDer... It was the first complete game I was ever involved in (we tried DnD before... but the DM got bored) It was also the first game I STed.

So-

*WoD (most of them- I have 5 of the modern core books, plus Sorcerers Crusade)

*DnD- I like the concept, not necessarily the system. The first game I had played rather than STed for years- just over 2 months ago.

*Exalted- Never played, got the book... I tried to warm the others in my group to it, but failed. It now only comes out when I feel like reading a rule book. How sad I am.

Unfortunately, although I get many, many of my ideas from other games, my group is very specific. So although I often find myself wanting to buy something new (blue planet tickled my fancy, but is darned hard to find), I don't, because I know we are unlikely to play it.

I'll you what I would like (after much research... I never buy a rpg book on a whim)-

*Unknown Armies- The novel project is fantastic, and the community website has given many a truly evil idea for WoD.

*Blue Planet- reminds me of waterworld.

*Alternity- No longer in print, and D20, but darn it looked good. Especially the Dark*Matter setting.

*Wu Shu and it's settings- Ever wanted to try Wire Fu or Car Fu in a game?

I think I'll stop now before I collapse onto the keyboard...

Archived