personally accompanying our forces into hostile

Chromatic space. Check out the Adirmiral's

question time featuring questions from none other

than Cori Heisler herself!

>>>Would you like to know more? Keyword: Cori-Heisler Alien Menace<<<

Related

>>>Orgotek ships? A spacejock's story. Keyword: Orgotek Aliens<<<

>>>'Chromatic ate my baby!' A mother's appeal! Keyword: Baby Chromatic<<<

[The UN retaliation strike against the chromatics is public knowledge, right? In that case it should be easy enough for a reasonably handsome and heroic young man to get lucky on his last night planetside...]

Tiger has little difficulty finding an attractive, impressionable and reasonably tipsy blonde called Eloise. Intense, but wholly unsurprising events ensue.

---

AEon Launch Pad L5, atop the Chicago Cube: 2121.5.1:0700

A painfully bright, sunny day greets the normally late risers amonst the group as they emerge one by one from the access lift to the very top of the massive, squat structure of the Cube where Launch pads litter the blackened concrete upper surface in a checkerboard pattern surrounding a tall control steeple at the very centre.

The muted, but still near deafening roar of turbojets doppler-shift up and then away - a small hybrid launching from a nearby pad as Tiger emerges from the lift to join Hastings. A sleek, forty-five meters worth of Banji Owl hybrid sit waiting on the pad, hatch open. It is from this hatch that Harker emerges, having been up for some time going over the flight plan and approximate tome of priority queue entry for Yuta Yinkon.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew arrives shortly after Tiger. He is accompanied by a porter with a small robotic trolly carrying three medium sized crates (one meter by one meter by two).

"I've got the translation and restraint gear," he says whilst taking out his sunglasses.

After helping to make sure all gear is securely stowed, and all passengers accounted for and tucked into their seats aboard, Harker stands at the entrance of the cockpit. "Welcome to the Howling Sparrow, gentlemen. I'll be your pilot for today," he bows theatrically, "well, at least till we dock on Luna." He smiles. "Please remain seated until we clear the atmosphere. We should reach Luna in about twelve hours. If anyone wants to, one of you can sit in the cockpit with me for take-off. Any takers?"

"I'm signed up for a... well, a crash course ::rolleyes on flying one of these things when we get back, so if you could give me some basic pointers on the way, that would be great."

If nobody protests wildly, Tiger gets up and joins Harker in the cockpit, proceeding to ask him all kinds of questions on what a pilot absolutely has to know to avoid killing himself and his passengers.

By way of explanation, he says "I ain't never gonna be a pilot, but if I end up in a shuttle without one, I'd like to know what to do..."

The first thing Tiger notices upon entering the cockpit is that it's configured differently from other hybrids he's been in. The seats for pilot and co-pilot are both military-grade, with cushioning gel for high-g manuevers. Also, though normally staffed with a four-person crew, it's clear that this Owl is set for solo operation; a co-pilot seems to be an afterthought in this design. "Go ahead, strap yourself in.", Harker says as he does the same for himself. "I'll do my best to answer your questions, but there's a lot of interference between Earth and Luna. Satellites, mostly. So if I ignore you to dodge debris, don't take it personally."

"By the way... It's Tiger, not Tigger. What is that, som kind of british accent?"

Hastings smiles,

"Not a Pooh fan I see. You should read some - it's enlightening. All Tiggers do is bounce - it seems to fit." ::sly

Going on to politely greet the other team members as they show up, Hastings stows his luggage & takes his seat for the journey.

Taking a moment to talk to Taka, the Englishman asks,

"So, have you decided if you're going to volunteer to be 'big dog' on this one, or are you going to saddle me with the responsibility?"

He addresses the group generally,

"So, gentlemen, now that we've all had a chance to review the mission files & are in a secure location, what thoughts & impressions do you all have about the job at hand?"

"So, have you decided if you're going to volunteer to be 'big dog' on this one, or are you going to saddle me with the responsibility?"

Taka considers this thoughtfully. After a moment, he speaks. "Mr. Hastings, as I said before, I am not certain that we need a big, as you say, dog. If we have the time, we should attempt to take a group consensus. In the event of a great hurry, the decision will fall upon the one of us who is more equipped to make the it."

"Mr. Hastings, as I said before, I am not certain that we need a big, as you say, dog. If we have the time, we should attempt to take a group consensus. In the event of a great hurry, the decision will fall upon the one of us who is more equipped to make the it."

Hastings smiles,

"Oh, I'm all for that, old boy, but who gets the blame when it all goes wrong? Maybe we should just blame it on whoever's dead, right?" ::wink

"So, gentlemen, now that we've all had a chance to review the mission files & are in a secure location, what thoughts & impressions do you all have about the job at hand?"

Talvin looks like he has a hangover as he rubs his forehead while slumped in his seat

"Dis job is going to be dangerous, more so den any-ting we've ever faced. Some may not make it back...Keep your eyes sharp."

"Oh, that's a good one! Tell it to young Tigger - he hasn't been in this business long enough to know otherwise..."

Taka smiles patiently and amends his statement. "When asked whose fault it is, we blame the one whose fault it was and let the record say whatever it wants."

Aboard the Howling Sparrow

Acceleration crushes the team back into their flight seats, which adjust their shape and angle to compensate. Time slips by providing ample opportunity to review the disks that Oswald provided.

>>>file begins<<<

Chromatic anatomy: The chromatic physiology >>>pictures<<< likely evolved in a harsh environment of both complete darkness and intense light. Their skins, aside from being abrasion and heat resistant (suggesting rough cave-like dwellings at some point in their recent history) are capable of absorbing oxygen from both water and air – suggesting that they are currently amphibious or have been so relatively recently in their evolutionary past.

Each chromatic has two brains. The first brain is located in the head and appears to be primarily for sensory processing, whilst the second brain located in its chest takes care of other functions. Chromatic skin is dotted with motion and heat sensing eyespots giving it an apparent 360 degree awareness. Further, chromatics have two pairs of fully developed eyes. These eyes, located on the head are divided into two sets – those facing forward are much like human eyes with strong distance perception, whilst those on either side of the head move independently like those of chameleons. Both of these sets of eyes have vastly more cone structures than human eyes resulting in the ability to see a much wider range of the EM spectrum including a small part of the infra-red and ultra-violet ranges. Chromatics tend to have one set of these eyes open at a time, but are perfectly capable of rapidly switching between them. Nictitating membranes cover both sets of eyes when chromatics are underwater or in dusty environments.

Chromatic lights appear to be completely controlled by the Photokinetic ability that all chromatics possess. It is apparent that chromatics are capable of using this ability to communicate, to hide themselves – and sometimes even as a weapon. Light seems highly important to chromatic physiology to the extent that we believe that their nerve impulses are transmitted via optic rather than chemical signals resulting in reaction speeds vastly superior to humans’.

>>>learn more<<<

Chromatic language: The chromatic language is relatively simple in nature, but not delivery. Each word is formed by the projection of certain coloured lights over the body, with compound words being formed by projecting two or more words at once. Chromatics have no tenses, but rather add the modifiers for ‘in the past’ or ‘in the future’ to the end of sentence constructs. Chromatics lack unique words for most technology – eg. they call space craft high-rafts. However, the language does appear quite dense when dealing with the subject of shades of light and types of water. All in all the chromatic language suggests a bronze-age culture that has been accelerated to space faring status by outside influences.

Chromatics also employ a barking sound based language, but it seems to contain only a few words – most of which are direct orders and are military in nature. They may also use these sounds to add emotional content to their light based language.

>>>learn more<<<

Chromatic weaponry: Chromatic warriors wear equipment webbing and carry biolasers that are very strongly reminiscent of Orgotek designs of perhaps ten years ago, although perhaps not as cleanly produced. These weapons are not quite as efficient or as dangerous as current weaponry. Chromatic vessels are also very similar to Orgotek designs, with exception that they are built with extreme amounts of redundancy – leading us to believe that much, if not all of the race lack the skills to repair complex equipment.

>>>learn more<<<

Chromatic Tactics: On the whole chromatic tactics are reminiscent of those primitive hunters might employ. They use stealth followed by ambush in numbers. They also use baited traps. In these cases the ‘bait’ is normally a chromatic ‘pack leader’ who the others seem to view as heroes.

Chromatic pack leaders seem to possess a greater degree of control over their photokinetic gifts and also apparently exhibit low levels of pyrokinesis.

>>>file ends<<<

Finally the ship joins the landing pattern for the military section of Yuta Yinkon. After touching down, the group is met by a chunky Phoenix squadron Shosa called Gunnersson who checks each of the group members’ biosignatures (fingerprint and retinal scan) with a mini-comp extension and then – finding everything satisfactory – ushers them across to a waiting LB-MEL. Base porters scuttle along behind the group lugging the equipment. Andrew assists them - impressing the delicacy of the equipment upon them repeatedly.

The waiting MEL is grey, squat and square and piloted by a smiling, bald and tattooed Phoenix squadronette called ‘Sparks’ who insists that everyond ”Get on the bus, before my ass goes to sleep”.

Once more the group lifts off and experiences the extended boredom of space travel until finally Sparks calls them up to the cockpit from where they witness the sight of the five most massive ships they’ve ever seen. The five leviathans are surrounded by a large number of frigates and fighters, but everyone’s eyes keep returning to the Leviathans – their sleek lines seem so much more impressive than the functional blockyness of the frigates surrounding them.

”Hope you enjoy your home for the next few weeks.” Sparks says as clearance notices flicker across her displays. The MEL slows and maneuvers closer to one of the Leviathans.

With a ‘KerCHINK’ the docking collars lock.

An immensely tall, smiling African man with captain’s wings on his immaculate blue uniform stands waiting with a group of Phoenix Squadron marines as the group clambers through the air-lock. ”Welcome aboard the Aegypt!“ the captain bellows with feeling. ”I’d like to see you all once we’re underway to give you more details on the nature of this task group’s overall mission. But for now, lets get you settled in.”

“Sergeant, get the gear!”

The marines climb past the group and start bringing the gear down onto the Leviathan, aided by the selective deactivation of the grav-crystals along the way.

The captain leads the group along a strangely asymmetrical blue-walled corridor that seems to twist back on itself more than once. After dropping a few floors in a lift and following another short stretch of the weirdly organic corridor the characters enter the central portion of the Leviathan that seems a bit more ‘normal’ in its construction. The Captain leaves them with the ‘Officer of the Deck’, a sour faced woman called Jarvis who shows the group to a series of cramped adjoining cabins (each cabin containing two bunks, two chests, a single basin, a single terminal and a set of data-sockets). Jarvis then shows the characters to the main recreation area where a group of soldier types are amusing themselves watching the latest adventures of Jake Danger, and then to the officer’s mess and to the launch bay from which their drop ship will launch. Jarvis informs them that ‘Sparks’ their pilot from the MEL has volunteered to be their dropship pilot.

A few hours later, once everyone has settled in a general announcement that the fleet is to be underway shortly is sounded through the intercom system. Soon afterwards, a gentle feeling of acceleration becomes obvious. Although the exact course is hidden, those with any experience of astrogation quickly realise that the fleet is heading off the plane of the planets, up into the dark of true deep space.

Tiger throws his bag onto the top bunk in one of the cabins, not really caring who he ends up sharing with. The hours between their arrival and the fleet's departure he spends having a little workout in the gym, sending off a message to a girl somewhere, and relaxing with the guys. If anyone tries to round the team up for a planning session or anything, he's ready anytime...

>>>file continues<<<

Effective Anti-Chromatic Tactics:

Chromatic physiology could be described as 'somewhat redundent'Eg. Destroying most of either brain will kill a chromatic, but destroying part of either will result in an extremely aggravated berserker.

Chromatics react badly to visual sensory depravation - they have a 'fear of the dark'. This is normally not much of a problem for them, however, we have developed a variety of smoke grenade which releases smoke that has a high enough vapour and monofibre content to block their visual range for a short time. This generally causes Chromatics to panic and to become agitated.

Further, although Chromatics are highly resistant to heat and appear to have some ability to even deflect lasers, they seem ill equipped to deal with cold. We are currently testing ammunition which injects liquid nitrogen into the target.

We are also in the process of developing nerve agents by which to affect Chromatics, but these are further from completion. Additionally, they will require UN backing to use. Acquiring this backing is considered likely as it appears that Chromatics were fully prepared to use Strategic Nuclear Weapons against Earth.

In summary:

Weapon / Estimated effectiveness compared to level against humans.

Laser / 20-30%

Kinetic Discharge / 80-90%

Plasma / 65-80%

Sensory Overload (flash) / 50-60%

Sensory Depravation (smoke) / 120%

Cryokinesis / 150-200%

>>>file ends<<<

Hastings stows his gear (presumably with Taka, since they're of the same 'rank' & it's a military vessel), then spends the hours until the jumpship gets underway getting to know the layout of the vessel, & the dropship they'll be using on the mission, & making small-talk with both the team members & the military-types onboard the Aegypt. When the journey begins, he heads to see the Captain (whose name he'll be sure to glean from the crew).

As Talvin steps onto the deck of the Aegypt he nods in acknowledgement to the greeting captain. Stepping up to one of the corridor walls he gently runs his hand along it with eyes closed and a slight smile on his lips...birth pains...so young...the paths brighten, he *knows* Aegypt. Talvin shares a bunk with Andrew, asking him about himself, his interests, what he does, generally showing an interest in the man even though if he wanted, all questions could be answered in an instant. Later Talvin meets up with the others in the rec room:

Jarvis informs them that ‘Sparks’ their pilot from the MEL has volunteered to be their dropship pilot.

"I thought we would be porting in?"

Jump Ship Aegypt: Sometime Later that evening - ship time

Sparks catches up to the group with a caucasian man in his thirties in tow. "It seems you lot have a late addition to your team. Your boss had me go back for him." she says - all to obviously implying that she doubts that spending several hours chasing after the fleet was worth it. "I'm sure Charlie Brown here has a reason why the dog ate his homework."

[umoja - this is your into - Go. btw - you have a disk containing your credentials for the rest of the team - as well as another with the mission profile]

"I thought we would be porting in?"

Jarvis blinks twice. "I'm sure I'm not cleared to know that, sir. All I've been informed of is that this is the ship you're supposed to use. You will doubtless find out more when the captain sees you."

When the journey begins, he heads to see the Captain (whose name he'll be sure to glean from the crew).

Robert quickly learns that the Captain's name is Sipho Ndebele and that he has an extensive record of exemplory service for the UAN. He also finds that the deck officers are politely suggesting that he wait for the Captain's briefing - which will be 'soon' as the Captain is currently 'very busy'

Talvin shares a bunk with Andrew, asking him about himself, his interests, what he does, generally showing an interest in the man even though if he wanted, all questions could be answered in an instant. Later Talvin meets up with the others in the rec room:

Andrew seems reticent to talk about himself, but babbles on excitedly about his work with the restraint harness, which he domonstrates for Talvin. Andrew explains how it siphons off Psi energy, preventing the chromatic from doing much more than speaking.

Taka's duffle and case make their way into the other bunk in Hastings' room. As Hastings leaves, Taka says, "By the way, if you or any of the others want to learn some combat or marksmanship basics over the next week or two, I'd be happy to tutor anyone. This mission might require a suspicion of that sort of business, and I'd hate to have to throw you all into the deep end."

He opens his case to reveal a violin, and he sits back on his bunk and closes his eyes. He simply sits there, occasionally playing long, complex piece or simply a single, drawn-out note.

Later, he repeats his offer to all other crewmembers (on his team, obviously).

"By the way, if you or any of the others want to learn some combat or marksmanship basics over the next week or two, I'd be happy to tutor anyone. This mission might require a suspicion of that sort of business, and I'd hate to have to throw you all into the deep end."

Tiger grins widely at the offer. ::biggrin "Hell, yeah! I'm game..."

After a moment or two of consideration, he adds:

"Actually, we should all train together. We will see action, and it never hurts knowing just how good your teammates are..."

"Say, Taka... Since these f*ckers are amphibious and stuff, you think we'll be going underwater on the op?"

At Yuta Yinkon:

Before he walks across the landing pad to their new transport, Harker runs his hand along the Sparrow's hull. "Stay safe." he whispers, then smiles and joins the others.

Aboard the Aegypt:

Noticing with a wry humor that his new bunkmate is conveniently Tiger, Harker goes about putting his things away. He takes his time, tucking everything away in it's own place, very tidy and neat. Though most of his personal effects are to be expected, such as books and clothing, Tiger is surprised to see a rather extensive collection of knives. Of varying shapes and sizes, they all reside in a specialized case meant for storing them.

Later, when Taka offers 'tutoring', Roosevelt accepts, but adds, "I'm afraid I'm a poor student when it comes to such things...please forgive me in advance. On a related note, if possible, I would also very much like to learn your native language. I hope I don't offend."

... Tiger is surprised to see a rather extensive collection of knives. Of varying shapes and sizes, they all reside in a specialized case meant for storing them.

::blink

Knowing that a lot of people have an almost religious relationship to their hardware Tiger looks very closely, but doesn't touch without permission.

Comments like "Yikes, those cost a fortune!", "You actually use that one?" and "Where did you get that?" abound.

He also pulls out a blade of his own from somewhere about his person. "Now, I prefer one of these..."

In his hand is a simple and easily concealable ceramic blade. To a knowing eye like Harker's, it's easily recognizable as a very high quality murder weapon.

Enjoying a small chuckle at Tiger's comments, Harker notes and appreciates his "look, but don't touch" policy.

"Now, I prefer one of these..."

In his hand is a simple and easily concealable ceramic blade. To a knowing eye like Harker's, it's easily recognizable as a very high quality murder weapon.

With a raised eyebrow, Harker examines the piece critically. "Excellent craftsmanship. I prefer steel myself, being somewhat a traditionalist, but still, very nice. May I ask where you acquired it?"

"Salvador, Brazil." , he says (with the correct portuguese pronounciation). "Bought it from a really good weaponsmith that a friend of mine introduced me to. Cost me an arm and a leg, too. Not mine, but still... ::sly I could take you there some time, if you're interested. If we get back, of course..."

Shrugging slightly as he spins the knife in his hand before he sheathes it he adds "And to tell you the truth I like steel too. But steel blades are way too easy to spot..." ::confused

>>>Quartermaster's Report<<<

We have put together some Anti-Chromatic Liquid Nitrogen grenades, but due to an evaporation problem, they have a limited spread. We're guessing that, although the weapons are not seriously dangerous to armoured humans, the Chromies will suffer considerable damage due to the severe vulnerability of their heat sensitive eyespots.

Numbers of these weapons are limited and Spec. Ops. teams get first pick.

Quartermaster, Aegypt

>>>Report Ends<<<

>>>file continues<<<

Chromatic Home World - Designated Chrome Prime

The Chromatics appear to have no word for their home planet again pointing to lack of sophistication in the race's thinking.

We know that primary Chromatic population centres are below ground, and that the surface of their world is extemely dry with a hot F9 or G0 (yellow-orange) star at considerably less than 1 AU range. Additionally, the atmosphere of Chrome Prime is thinner than Earth's resulting in acute day/night temperature variations. Should any personell be caught on the surface, vac-suit oxygen supplies should be tapped when attempting anything more than mild exertion. The air is otherwise breathable, becoming thicker underground.

Other native organisms. We don't know, but we know that Chromatics are carnivores. This likely indicates that the Chromatics are at the head of a food chain. The fact that they are so warlike would indicate that competition within the chain is strong.

CLASSIFIED: Witnesses

The captured Chromatics refer to the 'Witnesses' as 'Those who have definitely seen the pure spirits' and 'Those who look only forward toward absolute truth in the future' and 'Those who watch all in the present' and 'Those whose lights shine most brightly'. The caputured chromatics also speak of the witnesses as 'Those who bring gifts to cross the cold-dark' and 'Those who bring gifts to destroy the absolutely black ('evil?') corruptor/decievers' and 'Those who lead from behind'.

This last comment could suggest dissatisfaction amongst the chromatic ranks with the ways of the witnesses. Ths is an angle that we would like investigated if at all possible.

>>>future insertion point marker Witness Para 3 [CLASSIFIED]<<<

>>>file ends<<<

Andrew seems reticent to talk about himself, but babbles on excitedly about his work with the restraint harness, which he domonstrates for Talvin. Andrew explains how it siphons off Psi energy, preventing the chromatic from doing much more than speaking.

Talvin observes Andrews demonstration with interest

"So...how does one go about restraining the chromatic prior to putting on de harness? How fast can you put one on? Seems like we'll need to equip ourselves with some hardware of a less destructive nature than originally thought. Would screamers even work on chromies? Tasers maybe?Just out of curiosity, what would happen if a harness were used on a Psion? Can it be used for humans as well or only for chromatics?"

By the way, if you or any of the others want to learn some combat or marksmanship basics over the next week or two, I'd be happy to tutor anyone. This mission might require a suspicion of that sort of business, and I'd hate to have to throw you all into the deep end."

"I may be interested in learning how to get out of a chromie grapple if it ever comes to that...I'm nut much of a brawler myself, I learned to keep my distance and stay alive."

Jump Ship Aegypt: Captain's Private Briefing Room: 2121.5.3:2200

The group is ushered into the fairly large room (by this ship's standards) by Deck Officer Jarvis to find Captain Ndebele standing behind a massive real wood desk, talking to a small attractive older woman of oriental descent wearing a smart brown uniform. The captain turns and smiles a brilliant smile at the group whilst indicating that they pull up the comfortable looking antique ball-and-claw chairs scattered about the briefing room.

"Good to see you once more gentlemen." the captain booms in his resonant bass. He shuffles around the huge desk and moves to shake everyone's hand african style - hand to forearm. "Of course we know who each other are, but allow me to introduce Miss Caroline Hsu of the Ministry of Psionic Affairs." - indicating the woman behind the desk - who bows but does not offer a gloved hand for shaking, nor does she smile. "We are expecting two more. Ah, yes, here they are."

The captain proceeds to usher in a dark haired, extremely casually dressed woman (faded blue jeans [back in fashion] and a T-Shirt with an artist's representation of a sliced up supersphere on the front) of perfect skin and jaw dropping beauty, and a older african woman - a polar opposite in her immaculate and elegant 'african styled' clothing and jewellery and in her regal carriage. "May I present jump pilot and clearsentient, Julie Devereaux and Mayor Susan Ngamba of Karroo and the Upeo Wa Macho." The Captain pronounces Julie with a distinct french sound - 'Jhuli' and stresses the a in Susan Ngamba's name - 'Ngaamba'.

Julie begins shaking everyone's hands, but Susan Ngamba inclines her head to the captain and says "I am not mayor any more, Captain. I did give that up you know." She then proceeds to shake everyone's hand in a very ladylike and a very practiced fashion.

Once everyone is seated and has a hot beverage, the Captain begins speaking from his form-fitting faux leather chair behind his desk. "To get right down to it, the rumours are true. The Chromatics are holding a sizeable number of Upeo hostages. The secondary mission of this fleet is to liberate those hostages. The primary mission is to ensure that the Chromatics can no longer attack Earth. I'm aware that this group has orders from the AEon Trinity to bring back an alien onto my ship. Much as I don't approve of this, I understand that it must be necessary and I don't need to know any more. However, there are only six teleporters working with the fleet and we can't afford to risk any. So I have discussed and arranged what I believe was a fairly common arrangement before the Upeo disappeared. Ms Hsu will commune with Miss Devereax and Ms Ngamba to both place this team and recover you. You will port thirty minutes after our arrival - allowing the VARG dropships to get into place for their distraction maneuver and allowing Ms Ngamba some time to recover from the Jump In."

"Actually, we should all train together. We will see action, and it never hurts knowing just how good your teammates are..."

"I agree. We can certainly arrange one or two sparring matches over the course of the journey."

"Say, Taka... Since these f*ckers are amphibious and stuff, you think we'll be going underwater on the op?"

"No. We're at greatest advantage on land, so that's where we should strike."

"I'm afraid I'm a poor student when it comes to such things...please forgive me in advance."

"Of course. Hopefully our mutual patience will allow us to overcome difficulty."

On a related note, if possible, I would also very much like to learn your native language. I hope I don't offend."

Taka merely smiles. "Not at all. However, I highly doubt if you will be able to find a teacher who is both willing and able to devote the time to teaching you a language which is both highly complex and highly secret. Nippon would not be pleased with such an individual, and I doubt very much if you will find other than a stern nolle prosequoi."

I assume this conversation is taking place in Tiger's and Roosevelt's room, if so, he'll join in the knife conversation as he observes them both brandishing them.

"We can do some work with those as well, if you like.

Suddenly, he smiles, observing the case's contents. "Are those sais? .. May I?"

OOC: Presumably he has some, and doesn't mind Taka handling it - ignore if so.

Taka takes one of the steel weapons and holds it, finding its point of balance, and simply turning it over in his hands for a few minutes.. when he realizes that Tiger and Roosevelt are looking at him expectantly. He smiles, lifts a finely chiseled eyebrow, and simply replaces the weapon in its case.

"I may be interested in learning how to get out of a chromie grapple if it ever comes to that...I'm nut much of a brawler myself, I learned to keep my distance and stay alive."

"Fair enough. I'm not sure what a chromatic's running speed is, but I highly doubt that outrunning one would be easy."

In the briefing room:

Taka bows back to Ms. Su, and shakes with both Ms. Devereaux and Mrs. Ngamba, thanking each of them politely but warmly for agreeing to help.

Assuming Andrew doesn't ask this question first:

"I have a question. I was under the impression that the equipment necessary to inhibit a psion's abilities was a highly complex bioapp, and that the technology of the Chromatics was at a bronze age level with the exception of certain simply bioapps."

"So...how does one go about restraining the chromatic prior to putting on de harness? How fast can you put one on? Seems like we'll need to equip ourselves with some hardware of a less destructive nature than originally thought. Would screamers even work on chromies? Tasers maybe?Just out of curiosity, what would happen if a harness were used on a Psion? Can it be used for humans as well or only for chromatics?"

Andrew smiles and warms to the subject and his aussie accent becomes all the more apparent. "Yeah mate, I've got a dart gun each in here," he taps the crate, " packed with loads and loads of sedatives that work quickly on Chromies... most of the time. Tasers work a bit, but normal screamers are a bit crap - they don't have quite the same hearing range, y'see. The harness is olamnium reinforced plastic, flexible and very very strong - you have to watch their hind legs, eh. Yeah, you could stick it on a Psion I suppose, but its completely the wrong shape. I suppose if you did manage it he'd have a really bad day, eh These are the roughest though eh - check it out." he pulls out a set of 'Chromiecators MK III' - or at least thats what it says on the box. The device seems to consist of a minicomp, hemet mounted wide angle biocamera and hologram projector. Andrew pulls a standard combat helmet from beneath his bunk and attaches the rather bulky device (by 2121 standards) to the helmet by means of eZeGLU. "Check it out, mate." Light constucts flicker over Andrew's body - followed by a deep barking sound from the minicomp - which is projecting the words. 'Look at me. I want to mate with you.' Andrew starts to blush. "Maybe a bit more work needed, eh."

"Yeah mate, I've got a dart gun each in here," he taps the crate, " packed with loads and loads of sedatives that work quickly on Chromies... most of the time.

Talvin looks at the crate

"How quick is quick? I think I'll bring a taser along just in case we run out of darts..."

Andrew pulls a standard combat helmet from beneath his bunk and attaches the rather bulky device (by 2121 standards) to the helmet by means of eZeGLU™. "Check it out, mate." Light constucts flicker over Andrew's body - followed by a deep barking sound from the minicomp - which is projecting the words. 'Look at me. I want to mate with you.' Andrew starts to blush. "Maybe a bit more work needed, eh."

Talvin bursts out in laughter

"Now that is simply fantastic! Maybe we should let you in alone so you can woo dem into marrying a witness to you.. ::wink "

At the briefing:

"We were told that we would use a dropship piloted by sparks. Will we? If so why not just stay on de Aegypt and port from here. If not, why de deception? Also, what happens when we find a Witness. Will you be keeping an eye on us all along? What if we split up for some reason?"

"I have a question. I was under the impression that the equipment necessary to inhibit a psion's abilities was a highly complex bioapp, and that the technology of the Chromatics was at a bronze age level with the exception of certain simply bioapps."

"Is that not what you are here to find out, Mr Taka Rochester?" Ms Hsu says in an only ever so slightly curious vioce.

The Captain intercepts any further divulging of missions with "They have the equipment alright. We pulled the porters we have out of restraint harnesses onboard their mother ships. Excluding Ms Ngamba of course. They either developed them themselves or were given them. It wouldn't be the first time strangers arrived bearing gifts - would it."

"We were told that we would use a dropship piloted by sparks. Will we? If so why not just stay on de Aegypt and port from here. If not, why de deception? Also, what happens when we find a Witness. Will you be keeping an eye on us all along? What if we split up for some reason?"

The Captain nods to Ms Ngamba after she catches his eye. She begins: "There will be an unstable Noetic echo after the ships arrive - especially from the three Tesser driven Leviathans. That echo is slightly sticky and will make it difficult to travel accurately from within the Leviathans for a few hours. For that reason, we must put some distance between the jump ship and us before starting the warp. I also understand that Lieutenant Murray will be your emergency backup should things go wrong."

The Captain continues. "The initial shockwave will hopefully disorient the Chromies enough for our advance troops to get the element of surprise on them. I guess that's the downside of being all noetically sensitive." He grins. Ms Ngamba smiles back weakly. Julie appears to be giving Andrew (who is looking at her goggle eyed) a bored 'come hither, but you'll never catch me' look. Ms Hsu remains stoic.

"Is that not what you are here to find out, Mr Taka Rochester?" Ms Hsu says in an only ever so slightly curious vioce.

Taka nods. "Yes, ma'am."

"They have the equipment alright. We pulled the porters we have out of restraint harnesses onboard their mother ships. Excluding Ms Ngamba of course. They either developed them themselves or were given them. It wouldn't be the first time strangers arrived bearing gifts - would it."

Taka nods, taking in this information, adding, "And yet we continue to fully utilize these gifts that we were given in an utterly predictable manner, ignoring evidence to the effect that we might be being manipulated.." He trails off, suddenly conscious of and somewhat mortified by the slip of his mask.

"The initial shockwave will hopefully disorient the Chromies enough for our advance troops to get the element of surprise on them."

"An excellent strategy, sir, but have you considered the possibility that the shockwave may not 'disorient' the Chromatics for long enough to be taken advantage of, and may even serve to give them warning of an impending attack?"

((Daniel actually looks closer to being a mulatto (otherwise known as Bi-racial))

Daniel is pretty quiet. He nods quietly after he is introduced, but that doesn't really say much about him. His dress speaks far louder, he doesn't seem to focus his eyes on any specific point, a giving sign that he is either a drug addict or a clear. His clothes are the typical Proteus Division "formal" wear, and his Aeon badge reflects his work in Mars Division. On his shirt's right breast he has the standard nine-sided Baha'i star, which further adds evidence to the fact he at least is affiliated loosely with ISRAn culture.

When he speaks it's in the distinctive tone of FSAn English, likely from the Chicago area from anyone who knows accents well enough. "Abha, I'm Daniel, and I'm to be the Demolitions expert here. I believe that actions speak louder then words, so I have very few words other then that I belong to the ISRA, but have also taken up a service to humanity via Proteus Division, and I look forward to us all returning allive. Abha."

Archived