Trinity Universe: Holo Lives

knave

"Abha, I'm Daniel, and I'm to be the Demolitions expert here. I believe that actions speak louder then words, so I have very few words other then that I belong to the ISRA, but have also taken up a service to humanity via Proteus Division, and I look forward to us all returning allive. Abha."

Taka nods. "An honor to meet you, Daniel. I am Taka Rochester." Taka briefly introduces himself and the team, and completes what may have been an incomplete briefing for Daniel earlier.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume this conversation is taking place in Tiger's and Roosevelt's room, if so, he'll join in the knife conversation as he observes them both brandishing them.

"We can do some work with those as well, if you like."

Giving Taka a slightly disbelieving look, Tiger says "What are you, some kind of knife-fighting grandmaster? No offence, but you'd have to be if you think you're gonna teach me anything new on just this journey..."

"I'm looking forward to sparring with you, though..." ::wink

Later, in the Briefing Room

The captain proceeds to usher in a dark haired, extremely casually dressed woman (faded blue jeans [back in fashion] and a T-Shirt with an artist's representation of a sliced up supersphere on the front) of perfect skin and jaw dropping beauty...

*Well, hello baby....!* ::smokin

Unable to keep his dirty thoughts away from his eyes, Tiger nevertheless shakes Julie's (and Ms Ngamba's) hand in a civilized manner...

...Also, what happens when we find a Witness....

::rolleyes *Jesus... he just said he didn't want to know more about our mission! Top Secret agency, my ass...*

Raising his hand, he looks from Julie to the captain when he asks his question. "How much do we know about the drop point? Has anyone mapped or scanned it in any way? I don't know how much you people" - looking at Julie and glancing towards the newcommer - "actually see when you look around, but the more we know about what we're getting into, the better..."

"Short and sweet: Do we have maps, or will we have them when we arrive?"

Harker introduces himself to Julie, Ms. Hsu, and Ms. Ngamba in their native languages, speaking softly and smiling equally to each of them. "Bonjour, Ms. Devereaux. Nafurahi kukuona, Ms. Ngamba. Ni hao, Ms. Hsu."

Though just as impressed with Julie's looks as the others, ingrained good manners keep him from making any faux pas.

I don't know how much you people" - looking at Julie and glancing towards the newcommer - "actually see when you look around, but the more we know about what we're getting into, the better..."

Smothering the urge to tell Tiger exactly what clears are capable of seeing(such as the verbal minefield the young man keeps dancing around in), Harker instead waits patiently for the meeting to continue.

"What are you, some kind of knife-fighting grandmaster? No offence, but you'd have to be if you think you're gonna teach me anything new on just this journey..."

Taka merely smiles. "None taken. Perhaps we'll focus on unarmed combat and marksmanship, then, if you already have combat weapons you're comfortable and skilled with."

"I'm looking forward to sparring with you, though..."

"Likewise."

"By the way, if you or any of the others want to learn some combat or marksmanship basics over the next week or two, I'd be happy to tutor anyone. This mission might require a suspicion of that sort of business, and I'd hate to have to throw you all into the deep end."

Glancing up from his datapad, Hastings peers over the top of his glasses at Taka for a few moments, then pushes the spectacles back up his nose with his forefinger, & returns to the 'pad, commenting,

"Sounds frightfully dangerous, old fruit - & almost like hard work. I'd as soon trust in your skills & those of little Tigger, if it's all the same - after all, we can't all be heroes now, can we?" ::sly

When meeting the Captain, Hastings shakes the man's hand in the correct (i.e. English ::wink ) manner, & also greets all the other new faces as well. He appears to give Julie no more attention than he gives any of the others.

During the meeting the Englishman seems to be quitely listening to the various questions & comments, occassionally jotting things onto his datapad with a stylus, & only occassionally muttering a disproving 'tsk' ot 'tut' under his breath when comments are made that he appears to feel are... less than intelligent... ::rolleyes

Earlier in Talvin and Andrew's Cabin

Talvin looks at the crate

"How quick is quick? I think I'll bring a taser along just in case we run out of darts..."

"Well... it's pretty quick most times - fifteen to thirty seconds and most of that is them being pretty groggy... Can't seem to get it to work much faster than that though. Upping the dosage doesn't seem to have much effect on that - just keeps 'em out longer. The doses we've prepared keeps them down for about three to four hours. Sometimes when you hit 'em though, the little buggers go moggy for a bit."

At the Briefing

*Well, hello baby....!* 

Unable to keep his dirty thoughts away from his eyes, Tiger nevertheless shakes Julie's (and Ms Ngamba's) hand in a civilized manner...

Julie avoids looking into Tiger's eyes as she shakes his hand, although the ghost of a smile plays over her stunning features as she does so.

Harker introduces himself to Julie, Ms. Hsu, and Ms. Ngamba in their native languages, speaking softly and smiling equally to each of them. "Bonjour, Ms. Devereaux. Nafurahi kukuona, Ms. Ngamba. Ni hao, Ms. Hsu."

Each of the women reacts differently to Harker's blatant display of intelligent charm.

Julie grins brightly and says "Bonjour.". Susan Ngamba formally and gravely returns the greeting in the manner of her country. Caroline Hsu merely bows - an acknowledgement of achievement.

Raising his hand, he looks from Julie to the captain when he asks his question. "How much do we know about the drop point? Has anyone mapped or scanned it in any way? I don't know how much you people" - looking at Julie and glancing towards the newcommer - "actually see when you look around, but the more we know about what we're getting into, the better..."

"Short and sweet: Do we have maps, or will we have them when we arrive?"

With a nod, Julie indicates that the Captain should proceed. "Initially we only had telepathic impressions to go on, but we believe that the drop point is a largely stone structure on a tall hill at roughly equatorial latitude. Julie has scanned the location further from within the ARES system and believes that she can provide a clear teleport destination. I appreciate that that's a long way from being tactical data, but complaints about that will have to go to your own chain of command. Whatever's down there," he says, glancing at Talvin, " must be worth it."

Taka nods. "Yes, ma'am."

Caroline Hsu nods ever so slightly.

Taka nods, taking in this information, adding, "And yet we continue to fully utilize these gifts that we were given in an utterly predictable manner, ignoring evidence to the effect that we might be being manipulated.." He trails off, suddenly conscious of and somewhat mortified by the slip of his mask.

Taka finds himself at the centre of an uncomfortable silence with all eyes focussed quite firmly on him. Caroline Hsu's dark eyes seem to bore into him with focussed intensity, while Julie Devereaux arcs a beautiful eyebrow quisically and bites her lip.

"Hahahah," Susan Ngamba's elegant laughter slices Taka's discomfort clear. "Matches are not a wise gift for children." Julie grins at this, as does the Captain. Caroline Hsu's face returns to its expressionless mask.

"An excellent strategy, sir, but have you considered the possibility that the shockwave may not 'disorient' the Chromatics for long enough to be taken advantage of, and may even serve to give them warning of an impending attack?"

The Captain nods. "From what I understand from my briefing, the captives chromatics are susceptible to Psionic backlash. If they aren't affected, well, the drops ships are launching the instant we're all in anyway - so they won't have much time. If we tried a stealth approach its likely that any listening posts they have in orbit will detect our arrival. We know that they have mining stations in the asteroid belt surrounding their world, so satellite surveillance is quite probable.

... I appreciate that that's a long way from being tactical data, but complaints about that will have to go to your own chain of command...

"That'd be Taka then..." ::sly , murmers Hastings, still jotting on his datapad.

Suddenly he does look up, then asks,

"Just one question - is there any good reason we don't have a telepath on this mission? Security clearance aside, I'd imagine that such a talented individual would be very helpful indeed, considering the... various... tasks we have set before us."

He grins at Ms Hsu ::biggrin ,

"Wouldn't care to volunteer to go planet-side would you, dear lady?"

So I have discussed and arranged what I believe was a fairly common arrangement before the Upeo disappeared. Ms Hsu will commune with Miss Devereax and Ms Ngamba to both place this team and recover you. You will port thirty minutes after our arrival - allowing the VARG dropships to get into place for their distraction maneuver and allowing Ms Ngamba some time to recover from the Jump In."
The Captain nods to Ms Ngamba after she catches his eye. She begins: "There will be an unstable Noetic echo after the ships arrive - especially from the three Tesser driven Leviathans. That echo is slightly sticky and will make it difficult to travel accurately from within the Leviathans for a few hours. For that reason, we must put some distance between the jump ship and us before starting the warp. I also understand that Lieutenant Murray will be your emergency backup should things go wrong."

A very rare expression forms on Talvins face, that of surprise.

"You mean...Julie is going to leave Aegypt?! Captain I must protest! What would happen if the shuttle were to have an "accident" during its decent? Surely someone else could take care of dis commune with Ms Hsu and Ngamba!"

Talvin eyes expectantly at Daniel and Harker

When he speaks it's in the distinctive tone of FSAn English, likely from the Chicago area from anyone who knows accents well enough. "Abha, I'm Daniel, and I'm to be the Demolitions expert here. I believe that actions speak louder then words, so I have very few words other then that I belong to the ISRA, but have also taken up a service to humanity via Proteus Division, and I look forward to us all returning allive. Abha."

Talvin gets up in an uncontrollable urge pointing and rocking his hips as he sings the immortal words "Dancing Queeeeen! [...]" Is abha some Trinity protocol I'm unfamiliar with?

"Hahahah," Susan Ngamba's elegant laughter slices Taka's discomfort clear. "Matches are not a wise gift for children."

"No, ma'am." Taka's face is a mask once more, though his embarassment is still somehow detectable (almost as though its smell remains from its release seconds ago).

"You mean...Julie is going to leave Aegypt?! Captain I must protest! What would happen if the shuttle were to have an "accident" during its decent? Surely someone else could take care of dis commune with Ms Hsu and Ngamba!"

Taka looks at Talvin. His expression seems almost sad..

"We all do what we have to."

"Just one question - is there any good reason we don't have a telepath on this mission? Security clearance aside, I'd imagine that such a talented individual would be very helpful indeed, considering the... various... tasks we have set before us."

"Did you get the part about 'our own chain of command', Hastings?"

Tiger shakes his head a little...

"These people don't even know what we're here to do, and they don't want to know. Lucky for us, they're willing to help us get there and back. Anything outside of that, we have to take it with the Bossman..."

Talvin gets up in an uncontrollable urge pointing and rocking his hips as he sings the immortal words "Dancing Queeeeen!

[OOC]Er... this didn't actually happen, right...?[/OOC]

[Hastings] grins at Ms Hsu ::biggrin ,

"Wouldn't care to volunteer to go planet-side would you, dear lady?"

"These people don't even know what we're here to do, and they don't want to know. Lucky for us, they're willing to help us get there and back. Anything outside of that, we have to take it with the Bossman..."

"I..." the Captian begins.

"I have volunteered to do exactly that, Mr Hastings. The Captain has forbidden it, however. He of, course, knows that the best connection between Teleporter and Clearsentient is made when in physical contact with a Telepath so his concern is understandable. He does not want to risk all of us by using the bioapp I brought along. The bioapp is well proven, however - it was developed by China long before the Upeo disappearance for the express purpose of exactly this connection. So, should you agree, Mr Hastings, I will accompany you."

"Ahhh... As long as there is no chance that that thing will affect Julie or Ms Ngamba, I will not object." the Captain says - clearly objecting.

A very rare expression forms on Talvins face, that of surprise.

"We all do what we have to."

"I don't expect you to understand, sir...but Aegypt needs Julie."

Julie tilts her head seductively to see Talvin past the others. "You have seen, but not all..." She struggles for words. "Aegypt is newborn, but she is not aware yet. When she wakes, I will be there, just as I was there at her birth. I know. It is Susan who you have to watch. Besides - we have another jump pilot."

"What Julie means is that the Tessers onboard this ship are not yet fully operational. This ship and the Bolivar will be sharing a warp jump in curtesy of the Upeo members on board that ship. I trust you will not spread this about the crew. It is classified information." {The Subtext 'because not all of them trust the Upeo' is blatant to all present}

"What Julie means is that the Tessers onboard this ship are not yet fully operational. This ship and the Bolivar will be sharing a warp jump in curtesy of the Upeo members on board that ship. I trust you will not spread this about the crew. It is classified information." {The Subtext 'because not all of them trust the Upeo' is blatant to all present}

Talvin looks disgusted

"I know what she means..."

shaking his head he looks at Julie

"I cannot see what is to come. So many threads mingle together. Avoiding broken ones could prove difficult...you understand this? I know Aegypt is unaware but she needs you just like the unborn child needs its mother...the link is real even if both don't realise."

[OOC]Er... this didn't actually happen, right...?[/OOC]

course not... ::wink Just wanted to know what Abha was

The Englishman pointedly ignores the child's naive outburst. ::rolleyes

"I..." the Captian begins.

"I have volunteered to do exactly that, Mr Hastings. The Captain has forbidden it, however. He of, course, knows that the best connection between Teleporter and Clearsentient is made when in physical contact with a Telepath so his concern is understandable. He does not want to risk all of us by using the bioapp I brought along. The bioapp is well proven, however - it was developed by China long before the Upeo disappearance for the express purpose of exactly this connection. So, should you agree, Mr Hastings, I will accompany you."

"Ahhh... As long as there is no chance that that thing will affect Julie or Ms Ngamba, I will not object." the Captain says - clearly objecting.

"Excellent!", exclaims Hastings, "Then that's settled."

He smiles at Ms Hsu, & gives the Captain his best 'bad luck old boy' look of sympathy.

"I cannot see what is to come. So many threads mingle together. Avoiding broken ones could prove difficult...you understand this? I know Aegypt is unaware but she needs you just like the unborn child needs its mother...the link is real even if both don't realise."

Leaning over to get Talvin's attention, Robert grins ::biggrin & points out,

"Look here, old boy, chances are we'll all die planet-side anyway. Then you won't have to worry about the baby ship." ::wink

To that rather cheery thought he adds,

"In any case - I imagine these young ladies know full-well how to do their jobs. You just concentrate on the task at hand, there's a good chap - Lord knows we've got enough to worry about without taking responsibility for the whole balley fleet."

((To whom it may concern, "Abha" is a word most Baha'is seem to say. If your knowledgeable on the subject, you may well be, you'll know "abha" means "glory", the common religious word of Baha'is))

Daniel although quiet looks at Talvin strangely hearing him relate so closely to the ship, something Daniel has always found disconcerting. The fact that people seem to worry about the ships personality is awful creepy. Daniel adjust his Baha'i star and then moves to sit down and just close his eyes, the stress of the moment is insane.

"Excellent!", exclaims Hastings, "Then that's settled."

He smiles at Ms Hsu, & gives the Captain his best 'bad luck old boy' look of sympathy.

The Captain reposte's with his, 'No hard feelings, of course, chum, but you do realise that you'll pay for that, don't you.' look.

Caroline Hsu actually smiles ever so sweetly - whether it is at getting her way, at the Captain's discomfort, or at the rift between Hastings and Vaugn is hard to say.

Julie's hazel eyes widen at Talvin's words and a troubled expression covers over her perfect face like stormclouds hiding the sun.

"Oui. I cannot take the chance, but I have seen Aegypt awake. It has already happened. Merde! It has happened in the past in the future. I cannot see the future, but I can see that."

"If I ask to be relieved of this duty, who can do it? The vision sequence interpretation is a difficult one..."

"Ah... Julie, you are my best seer. Who else would be able to do this? You have studied the visions. No. I have my orders. You must do it." He aims a glare at Talvin.

"Look here, old boy, chances are we'll all die planet-side anyway. Then you won't have to worry about the baby ship."  ::wink  

Julie starts a strained giggle, but Susan Ngamba pipes up with, "Pah, this is nothing. Try running a Colony full of civilians with those things popping out behind every rock." Her voice is dead calm and perfectly assured. "Everything will be fine."

"I think we should end this briefing now, if there is nothing else?"

The Captain stands.

"Good day, ladies. Gentlemen."

The next few days pass eventfully. The group is shown the 'detention cell' that has been set up by a tall, sleepy looking engineer, Ensign Khumalo. The cell is in one of the Aegypts holds, away from where people tend to gather, and has walls of the ever so slightly bluish off-white that is supposed to be their preferred colour.

Members of the group also find themselves having to dodge 'Marty Blake', the Cori Heisler wanna-be who managed the coup of getting the field assignment. Rumours quickly abound that the Kostbaar wearing press man has money to spend, and seems to ask exactly the right questions.

Aside from workouts and sparring in the gym, the group is treated to a holo-view beamed over from the Chicago of the 7th Legion 0g Kendo competition - this one being a closely fought match with Sergeant Michael 'Willy' Wilkinson finally triumphing.

Days pass, tension mounts... soon.

The Captain reposte's with his, 'No hard feelings, of course, chum, but you do realise that you'll pay for that, don't you.' look.

[LOL ::laugh - who needs telepaths, eh? ::wink ]

Hastings watches the sparring in the gym, but doesn't take part - just jotts a few notes on his datapad. He does, however, engage his fellow teammembers in plenty of small-talk over the next few days, wanders the ship, & spends some time with the quartermaster. If approached by Mr Blake, the English gent gladly directs the reporter to Tiger's cabin... ::sly [Hey - the kid wants to be a hero, right? ::wink ]

One highlight that manages to alter most of the ship's vocabulary comes in the form of an antique film. The troops gather in the entertainment rooms for a special showing of Mr Hastings' antique movie - Aliens.

The edge of tension from the situation adds to the suspense still locked away in the classic - causing extreme reactions all around. Hardened marines leap out of their seats as facehuggers smack up against the glass cage walls. Howls of laughter at their expense ensue.

Pretty soon EVERYONE is called 'Hudson' or 'Apone' and has definitely been mistaken for a man at least once.

Strangely enough Marty Blake doesn't make it to the screening. Apparently he became stuck in a faulty bulkhead airlock for a little over three hours instead. Blake spends unsurprisingly little time aboard the Aegypt and soon returns to the Europa and Admiral Mkumba.

If approached by Mr Blake, the English gent gladly directs the reporter to Tiger's cabin... ::sly  [Hey - the kid wants to be a hero, right? ::wink ]

Wrong. After being sent to Tiger's cabin, the reporter likely returns to Hastings complaining that the only person in that cabin was a young southamerican looking techie who had nothing to do with any special mission and was pissed off enough being stuck with going over security systems for whoever these bastards are.

As the days go by...

Tiger spends a lot of time in the gym, and making sure the equipment they'll be bringing planetside is top condition. He also, if none of the two responsible 'grownups' initialize it, ask that all members of the team explain and, if possible, demonstrate their various skills as early as possible. In Tiger's mind, surprises are never a good thing.

In a break in his and Taka's (and whoever else is there) first sparring session he asks the unwilling team leader "So, when do we start sharing secrets? I know all of us are competent people, or we wouldn't have been chosen for this job, but there's no way I'm getting into a warzone with people I don't know. Can we all take care of ourselves in combat? Do any of us have medical training? That sort of thing..."

Taking a sip from a water-bottle and unsheathing his plastic training knife, he adds "And when I say 'take care of ourselves', a simple yes or no is not enough. We need to see it. Feel it. A team that doesn't know its own strengths and weaknesses isn't a team. And I'm not just talking about physical and combat skills, either. But those are easier to measure and start with..."

"So:", he says, facing Taka in a fighting stance. "Let's start with you, Special Agent. I'm assuming you're better than me at this, but how fast can you take this knife from me?" ::sly

"So:", he says, facing Taka in a fighting stance. "Let's start with you, Special Agent. I'm assuming you're better than me at this, but how fast can you take this knife from me?"

Hmm.. he's baiting me. But he's right. We should know each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Taka shrugs.

His move is so blindingly fast that Tiger almost misses it. He'll open with a spinning kick aimed at the knife (trying very hard not to accidentally hit Tiger's hand) and then will rotate his upper torso to face Tiger, moving his own knife into position against his throat, belly - whatever presents itself.

The Sparring Room

Taka's spin-kick is impossibly graceful and incredibly fast, but Vaughn read it before it was even launched! The younger man spin-pivots backward away from the kick, flipping his body vertically - and so Taka catches him only a glancing blow across the ribs. Rochester fluidly follows Tiger's retreat, easily matching him for pace, with knife leading. Tiger's foot sweeps up head height directly for Taka's face - not so much an attack, but part of a Capoeira dodge designed to force the attacker back. The special agent's reflexes are too good - he simply turns around the kick, his foot flashing out catching the back of Tiger's knee, and his knife hand circles Tiger's neck - plastic blade pressed to his throat.

Watching as Tiger hits the floor with Taka's knife to his throat, Harker grimaces. Trying to help the young man save face, he stands up and says, "Well...suppose I'd better take my turn. Who wants to have a go with me?" He smiles deprecatingly. "I imagine I won't be much of a challenge, but I'm a good practice dummy."

Later

Andrew gives everyone an enthusiastic (though tedious) explanation of how to use the tranquiliser guns, how to attatch a cromatic to the restraint harness, as well as how to operate the Cromiecator III app. Andrew insists on carrying the bioapp harness himself, adding it to his large pile of 'mission kit' that is rapidly growing at the foot of his bunk.

The Captain sends the Quartermaster around to ensure that everyone has their preferred weapons, armour and supplies.

MMmmmm-GLUP! Combat Armour, Legion Battle Dress, rapple kits, second skins, rebreathers, additional air supplies, ECSs and a host other military kit is available on demand. As Chrome Prime is believed to have a thin atmosphere, with vast Day/Night temperature variation, it is recommended that at least air supplies and preferably full body covering protective gear be worn at all times.

Taka helps Tiger up. "Extremely well done - I'm amazed that you dodged that kick."

Taka bows to Harker as he steps up to the plate.

"Well...suppose I'd better take my turn. Who wants to have a go with me?" He smiles deprecatingly. "I imagine I won't be much of a challenge, but I'm a good practice dummy."

Taka smiles encouragingly. "This is just practice. I won't hit you for real, unless I make a mistake, as I did just now - that reminds me, Tiger, are you all right?

"Anyway, that's also what these are for." He points down to the thick mats underneath them.

Over the next few sparring matches, Taka's style will vary drastically with the skill of his opponent. In the case of untrained people like Harker, he'll do nothing but dodge and block, occasionally calling for a freeze to correct posture and balance. In stark contrast, in opponents skilled enough that he feels he cannot teach them anything of great value in such a short period of time, such as Tiger, he will spar with the greatest extent of his considerable skill and talent, but will go to great lengths to pull all his punches (and kicks, etc) a few inches before they land. He already considers accidentally allowing the kick to land on Tiger to be a greater failure than if Tiger had completely kicked his ass, and does not intend to allow either of them to happen for the entire rest of the day.

Daniel seems to be spending quite a bit of time in or around the sparring room. He seems intently interested in the two's sparring, but as he watches his eyes seem to remain fixed on other points around the two. It's slightly strange, especially because he says nothing, and hasn't really talked to much of the crew. It could be he's not at home in this enviornment, because apparently all the information about him (if anyone bothered to look it up) tends to show he is very intent on getting attention.

Hastings watches all the sparring matches, but declines to join in himself.

At some point, when the mission group is together, the Englishman thinks out loud,

"Why so many clairsentients on this mission? Does the 'school' have a particular interest, or is Aeon trying to kill you all off?" ::sly

Taka finds that Harker is not quite the pushover he makes out to be. In fact, his grasp of military style self defense martial arts is the equal of most soldiers' and would even give some of the Phoenix squadron marines a bit of a workout. He is not, however, close to a match for Tiger Vaughn.

The group does find that their sparring matches rapidly become spectator events and several marines are issuing challenges to all of those who participate - even to Daniel Medina whose pointed presence and strange stare at the bouts earns him the nickname 'Grandmaster'.

Taka politely turns down all challenges to himself, but doesn't ask that the others do so.

"Guys, feel free to mix psi use in with your moves if you don't think it's going to kill me.

"Daniel? Talvin? Andrew? Are you guys in? And Robert, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your refusal to participate. It is imperative that all members of the team can defend themselves if necessary, and important that we are familiar with each other's techniques even if difficulty of self-defense is not an issue."

OOC: Edited to correct names and include Talvin, who I plum forgot (I'm on a roll tonight)! ::blush

Leaning over to get Talvin's attention, Robert grins  & points out,

"Look here, old boy, chances are we'll all die planet-side anyway. Then you won't have to worry about the baby ship." 

"If I die planet-side others will still need the ship. More importantly, they'll need Julie to guide them home."

Julie's hazel eyes widen at Talvin's words and a troubled expression covers over her perfect face like stormclouds hiding the sun.

"Oui. I cannot take the chance, but I have seen Aegypt awake. It has already happened. Merde! It has happened in the past in the future. I cannot see the future, but I can see that."

"If I ask to be relieved of this duty, who can do it? The vision sequence interpretation is a difficult one..."

Talvin's eyes narrow

"I..."

"Ah... Julie, you are my best seer. Who else would be able to do this? You have studied the visions. No. I have my orders. You must do it." He aims a glare at Talvin.

Their eyes lock, Talvin's pinched face frozen in a look of disdain until Ngamba breaks the tension:

"Pah, this is nothing. Try running a Colony full of civilians with those things popping out behind every rock." Her voice is dead calm and perfectly assured. "Everything will be fine."
"I think we should end this briefing now, if there is nothing else?"

The Captain stands.

"Good day, ladies. Gentlemen."

Talvin trains with grenades (fake ones I imagine) getting used to the weight and timer. It soon becomes apparent that his precision is almost flawless in the positioning of grenades at the right place and time for maximum effect. He handles the tranq guns with care and determines their effective range. In the sparring matches Talvin points out once again that he's not a close encounter combattant. At Taka's becking he still joins only bringing with him a pistol with laser sight to prove his point. As the partners try to hit or disarm him Talvin eerily avoids strikes almost before they are made. It becomes evident that the clear is in excellent shape, jumping and rolling away with ease while keeping a bead on his opponent at practically all times. The rare occasions where his weapon does fly away, its back in his hand in an instant.

"Why so many clairsentients on this mission? Does the 'school' have a particular interest, or is Aeon trying to kill you all off?"

"I could tell you...but then it might disrupt the future and our reasons..." ::sly

Daniel listens Talvin speak, and watches him train. Impressed on such a direct application of the gift, so impressed in fact that he's moved to speak.

"Why so many clairsentients on this mission? Does the 'school' have a particular interest, or is Aeon trying to kill you all off?"

Daniel chuckles a bit, and nods as Talvin responds. Daniel speaks with a heavy Chicago accent, at least it's more apparent when he talks with more emotion. "Actually, they sent me to oversee that any heavy explosives don't go off prematurely, or that bad stuff doesn't wipe us out in a second. I'm sort of your early warning system. But sadly, I must turn down any request to fight, as I've always had little confidence in my physical skills." Daniel glances around the place, just wondering why he ever volunteered for a mission like this.

At Taka's becking he still joins only bringing with him a pistol with laser sight to prove his point. As the partners try to hit or disarm him Talvin eerily avoids strikes almost before they are made. It becomes evident that the clear is in excellent shape, jumping and rolling away with ease while keeping a bead on his opponent at practically all times. The rare occasions where his weapon does fly away, its back in his hand in an instant.

OOC: Come, come. Taka didn't get away with an automatic action against Tiger, no way am I letting Talvin do it against him. ::sly

Talvin and Taka face off. Taka's hands fall into a fighting stance like tumblers in a well-oiled lock, and he gestures with two fingers for Talvin to come at him.

Taka helps Tiger up. "Extremely well done - I'm amazed that you dodged that kick."

Tiger smiles as he gets to his feet. "What was that, about two seconds? Damn, you're fast!" ::biggrin

"... - that reminds me, Tiger, are you all right?"

"Yeah, no problem. I'm used to rough sparring partners..."

"Guys, feel free to mix psi use in with your moves if you don't think it's going to kill me."

"Speaking of which", Tiger adds, "what exactly can you guys do with the psi stuff? I've understood that my skills as a scout and point man aren't gonna be worth jack, since we have clairsentient people along, but what else do we have?"

Tiger, of course ::rolleyes , is not above accepting challenges from the crowd. Knife, unarmed, one or two at a time... He'll even take on a psychokinetic or two if there are any, if they promise to go easy on the TK... His workouts with various challengers at first glance looks like typical showing off, but to anyone bothering to pay attention it soon becomes apparent that it also is a way of making connections. For every match, Tiger has a friendlier tone with the marines.

"... And Robert, I'd like to ask you to reconsider your refusal to participate. It is imperative that all members of the team can defend themselves if necessary, and important that we are familiar with each other's techniques even if difficulty of self-defense is not an issue..."

Hastings laughs ::laugh ,

"Sorry - I had enough of being knocked on my backside back in my public school days, thanks all the same."

A little more seriously, he points out,

"The people who selected us for this mission obviously think we're ready for it. Unless you're all planning on attacking each other, I'd rather spend my time studying this medical data on Chromatics", he waves his datapad, "& trying to figure out ways to hurt them." ::sly

In the sparring room

Taka glides forward like a predatory cat, batting away Talvin's pistol. Talvin spins away and backpedals, bringing the laser sight up again. Taka keeps pace, sweeping out a claw to put off Talvin's aim once more, and manages to do so, but not before red light flares painfully, but briefly in his left eye. The pistol is knocked away, but it is several more seconds before Taka has the dodging Indian's arm in a light lock.

Tiger, of course  , is not above accepting challenges from the crowd. Knife, unarmed, one or two at a time... He'll even take on a psychokinetic or two if there are any, if they promise to go easy on the TK... His workouts with various challengers at first glance looks like typical showing off, but to anyone bothering to pay attention it soon becomes apparent that it also is a way of making connections. For every match, Tiger has a friendlier tone with the marines.

Marines grin all around as Tiger faces down Mfane, a hulking 7 foot Zimbabwean. Mfane plays cagey, watching Tiger's cautious approach. Tiger realises that the African's stance and actions are those of a wrestler or Aikido or Judo practitioner. He twists forwards, drops and sweeps. Mfane goes down, but grabs for the young point man's legs... unfortuntely for him Tiger has already swept past and is now placing his bare foot on the back of the marine's neck. Suddenly Tiger finds himself flying backwards - struggling - he lands in a roll and is in a ready crouch in a second. Mfane gets up and starts towards Tiger, his tattooed glare like fast approaching death. He grasps Tiger's hand and pulls him upright, grin spreading across his face.

Cheers sound all around and more marines come forward to challenge.

Later, Tiger is drawn into the Marines' group as they eat and drink and spar. Mfane turns out to be Shoi Mfane Jacobus Buthelesi - Commander of the the squadron of Silverfish designated to support the groups attack. Mfane rumbles his curiosity about what the group is hoping to accomplish, but doesn't look too bothered about what kind of answer he gets. Everything is easy with these men. They eat, drink and play hard, but take very little seriously... for now.

Guys, feel free to mix psi use in with your moves if you don't think it's going to kill me.

Andrew, who, until this moment had been extremely reticent to brawl brightens. "Right! If you're sure you don't mind."

Before Taka has a chance to answer, the Australian's bright red hair on his small round head sizzles and waves about as if in some invisible, mad breeze.

ZZZZZT!

Electricity flickers over the Nihonjin as he leaps toward Andrew... who steps aside as Taka flops onto the mats like a ragdoll.

"Er... I guess I win, eh... mate?"

Andew tilts his head, as if in thought. "Hmmmm... interesting..."

Taka regains control of his limbs and unsteadily starts to rise.

"Y'know, I think I need to check the equipment once more... Seeya."

Andrew leaves. Quickly.

The Jump: 2121.5.8 1500 Earth Time

First light, then a gentle tingling sensation – a sensation that grows - changes – becomes something other than physical - a sense of being disconnected – in limbo… time passes… somewhere else.

Somewhere else: 2121.5.8 1937 Earth Time

Making their way quickly to their assigned drop ship (the word ‘Duck’ has been painted on the nose along with a stylised bird giving the world in general a socially unacceptable symbol – and below that, in an even less steady hand, someone has written ‘State of the Badass Art!’) Sparks waves them on board.

In unison, Talvin, Roosevelt, Daniel, Andew, Julie, and Susan Ngamba wince and try desperately to maintain their balance. Somehow Caroline Hsu manages to maintain her placid mask. Sparks catches Susan and shepherds everyone on board the sleek, long nosed Bakhatsu stealth ship before strapping herself into the pilot’s seat and swivelling round to flight position. ”Yeah, looks like the Chicago just made it in now. Bolivar came in with us. Clears have no idea about timing.” A series of beeps follow as she violently punches a host of buttons on the consoles and touch screens about her.

Seconds after everyone’s seated and strapped into their accel-comp seats there is a sudden vibration from above as the already depressurised bay is opened to space. Three Bakhatsu E15s fire launch jets and drop up into the cold dark. ”We’re on hold status now for ten minutes. Please feel free to play with yourselves while we wait,” – Sparks over again the intercom.

Julie grins and even Susan Ngamba smiles at this tension diffusing comment.

The moment drags….

A second truly mind-rending jolt cuts through the Psions. [Harker is now Hurt with bashing damage, whilst Sawney and Madina are Bruised]

”That was Himalaya and Europa doing the double act. Hold tight now children!”

Thud – maglocks released. Boosters fire… Upwards acceleration and the E19 is clear.

The vista of space and a bright nearby star become apparent through the view ports.

Acceleration pushes the characters back in their seats.

”Ten minutes and we should be clear. I’m getting reports from the leading frigates – doesn’t sound like there is any resistance other than some mining bases in the asteroid belt… Looks like this could be a milk run after all.”

Daniel cringes a bit, but doesn't seem to focus much on looking out the viewports. Rather he keeps his eyes shut and is presumably examining the space around the ship. His eyes flicker every once in awhile, but little beyond that.

The disconcerting thing about Daniel, is he seems to be acting completely in opposition to all the information about him. No fears were listed, but it seems more and more apparent (especially to those who can read emotions), that Daniel hates being enclosed.

Archived